Thread: Is it a good idea to turn off the device while charging its lithium ion battery?

Default Is it a good idea to turn off the device while charging its lithium ion battery?

For cell phone, iPod, etc.

How much adverse impact would you get if you had it on while charging?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

How much adverse impact....? Not sure, but I think it is definitely a good idea to turn off a device that is charging so that the life span of the battery will not be shorten. I was told that charging with that device on, will "kill" the battery. (Notebook and cellphones)

I think ipod should be fine charging with the device on. My ipod turns on automatically when I start the charging (to my computer).
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    How much adverse impact....? Not sure, but I think it is definitely a good idea to turn off a device that is charging so that the life span of the battery will not be shorten. I was told that charging with that device on, will "kill" the battery. (Notebook and cellphones)

I think ipod should be fine charging with the device on. My ipod turns on automatically when I start the charging (to my computer).
    Really? I was told that you should have your device on when you are charging. My brother told me not to ever overcharge my laptop or else it will kill the battery. Therefore, I never plug it into the battery when it is off since I will not know when it is fully charged. Gosh, I am hearing all of these different things.... I have always charged my laptop with it on...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    Really? I was told that you should have your device on when you are charging. My brother told me not to ever overcharge my laptop or else it will kill the battery. Therefore, I never plug it into the battery when it is off since I will not know when it is fully charged. Gosh, I am hearing all of these different things.... I have always charged my laptop with it on...
    when i'm using the laptop at home, i usually just take my battery out if it's fully charged.

The killing of battery with charging of laptop on is proven. My laptop's lifeline used to be 2 hours after fully charged (wall plug independant state). But now.....it lives less than an hour. I think it goes the same to the phone.

I think if the device is overcharged for about half an hour or so, it should be alright. It do that often.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    The killing of battery with charging of laptop on is proven. My laptop's lifeline used to be 2 hours after fully charged (wall plug independant state). But now.....it lives less than an hour. I think it goes the same to the phone.

I think if the device is overcharged for about half an hour or so, it should be alright. It do that often.
    Thank you so much for the info! Gosh, I don't think that I dare to charge my laptop when it is on anymore... I have been doing it all this time. I am glad that I know now... I will only charge it when I turn it off. It is the same for the phone too? I think I better not charge it when it is on...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Thank you so much for the info! Gosh, I don't think that I dare to charge my laptop when it is on anymore... I have been doing it all this time. I am glad that I know now... I will only charge it when I turn it off. It is the same for the phone too? I think I better not charge it when it is on...
    Yes, same for mobile phones.

Avoid using the devices, or left them switched on, while charging because the battery will get heated up.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 12-11-08 at 12:15 PM.

I heard it is better to store the battery somewhere cool to prolong its life. Someone even suggest put it in the fridge.
    Have you learned to love one another?

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    when i'm using the laptop at home, i usually just take my battery out if it's fully charged.
    Very wise decision.
    ..ext88