Page 66 of 88 FirstFirst ... 16565758596061626364656667686970717273747576 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 1743

Thread: Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre 2009 《倚天屠龙记》 - Deng Chao, Ady An, Liu Jing

Quote Originally Posted by cfensi1 View Post
    But I don't understand why they would try they'd style Liu Jing to look old if they want her to look good. I've seen other pics. She's not the most photogenic, but she certainly can look younger with the right makeup and hair.
    Actually I don't think the stylists are really to be blamed. I've seen Liu Jing in a range of outfits/hairstyles/make-up, both modern and traditional and although she looks more flattering in some styles as opposed to others (just like everyone else), generally, I don't find her very attractive-looking. Doesn't help that she looks very matured as well. ZZR's outfits are actually among the prettiest of the female characters and Liu Jing has also been given a variety of different hairstyles but somehow, she just doesn't look stunning and I've always pictured ZZR to be very beautiful, appearance wise. Like what someone mentioned, even Charmaine looks better and let’s not even get started on GYY, Kathy Chow, Sheren Tang or Angie Chiu.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuxialover View Post
    Aww, leave the poor girl alone. Maybe she's being promoted more because she's less popular. Why would they promote the ones who are already big.
    Lu Chen (who plays Yang Buhui) is similarly, a newcomer under CM and a teeny bit more experienced than Liu Jing but she's not being promoted as heavily even though I personally find her much prettier and a very decent actress as well.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 11-05-09 at 10:23 PM.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    Lu Chen (who plays Yang Buhui) is similarly, a newcomer under CM and a teeny bit more experienced than Liu Jing but she's not being promoted as heavily even though I personally find her much prettier and a very decent actress as well.
    Then perhaps there is something going on behind close door.

But hey, actors/actress never really bother me much with adaptation. Its often the director/producers. They can really butcher things.

However, in the case of Liu Jing, I agree that they should have gotten someone prettier for the role of ZZR. But I can live with her.

To you guys who have finish this version, or close to finish, what's your thought, so far? If any at all. I would watch it, if I can understand.

Although, I'm not too fond of ZJZ production.
    Sure it's grand and has plenty of nice scenery, and backdrop. But his overall choice of color isn't too great for me. Murky and misty looking sort of speak. I find his atmosphere somewhat claustrophobic. Where as LGL production give off the nice dreamy vibe. At least for me anyway. Though he's known for butchering adaptation as well. (LOCH08, mostly the ending)

Sure it's grand and has plenty of nice scenery, and backdrop. But his overall choice of color isn't too great for me. Murky and misty looking sort of speak. I find his atmosphere somewhat claustrophobic.
    This is just a matter of taste, but I know what you mean. It's too bad really, coz his first two productions, XAJH and LoCH adaptations were not as murky and misty. The atmosphere you're talking abt started since DGSD, I think.

Well, I'm on Ep33, so far. And I'm really close in deciding that this is the best HSDS adaptation I've ever seen (pushing down 86 version to #2). But among ZJZ production (I'm a loyal fan of all his Jin Yong adaptations), His Xiao Ao Jiang Hu is still the best one for me. Both his HSDS and Bie Xue Jian are close 2nd. Glad HSDS is chief-directed by Zhao Jian, probably that's what made this production is one of the best for me. I'm not fond of Yu Min's directings.

Since ZJZ is done with Jin Yong works with this HSDS being the last, I wonder what other production will he produce after JTTW? Will he make the other 2 sequels of Liang Yusheng's Da Tang You Xia Zhuan? I hope he remakes Gu Long's Jue Dao Shuang Jiao(one of my most fave wuxia book)^^
    Last edited by loislane; 11-05-09 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surferket View Post
    ZZR actress is a definite miscast and may be a deliberate attempt to avoid splitting viewers' support for a ZWJ/ZM pairup. No one can feel sympathetic towards this version's ZZR.
    I wouldn't say it's because she's miscast, so viewers don't feel sympathetic towards her, rather it's caused by the director or editor or even the script writer.

Because there are simply no scenes that show us the human side of her. They don't show how she falls in love ZWJ. They don't show the conflict she faces between her wanting to be with him and her loyalty towards her teacher.

The only thing they show us is her jealousy, hatred, and contempt towards ZM.

So in this case, I don't think a "prettier" ZZR would have helped.

Quote Originally Posted by yanfeng View Post
    NuDaFu and Sunnysnow- I'm with you two on the 3rd edition ending being good- I even like the 1st edition ending better than the 2nd.

click to show/hide spoilers

I'm starting to understand why ZWJ is being such a cold turkey to ZM- in this series they're serious about following Jinyong's ideal of having him really not deciding one way or the other even by the end.

Which is a bit inconsistent- on one hand this ZWJ is the strongest ZWJ I recall- I think the Jet Li ZWJ was almost evil... I wouldn't call him strong!- and he's shown himself to be decisive enough on the field of battle and command... and yet in affection not!

Okay, this is _way_ premature since I haven't even finished up to 23 episodes, but I'll have to say I prefer my ZWJ's soft on the outside and to the whole world, but steely inside in love, so alas for such a good actor like DC playing an anti-ZWJ!

If you haven't watched past 23 yet you might not want to read this

But in episode 29 he has a monologue where he says the woman he loves the most is ZM.

Quote Originally Posted by TiffTiff View Post
    Awww, ep 35 is really cuteeeeeeeeeeee. ZM and ZWJ looked so sweet together in peasant disguise. ZWJ kissed ZM on the cheek and both of them were so embarass about it .
    Just watched that! Yup, I'm with you on this, they were so cuuuuute in this scene!^v^ Finally they're acting like highschool boy and girl just for this once

Btw, I don't like Dai Qisi here, esp. how she hugged and kissing XZ over and over, and repeated the same words so many times. I think they should've switch actresses for DQS and MJST roles.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    im with you on this one. i think she might have even carried the ZZR role better than liu jing

I hated the ending soo badly... I stayed up until 4 in the morning skimming the last ten eps for my fav parts and they screw up the ending. I can't believe they used the book ending, I thought everyone knew it was bad so that's why no one had used it. But apparently not everyone thought it was bad...

In the beginning I didn't mind Liu Jing and I actually found her a lot prettier in action than in stills. But yea now I must admit, she's not a very good actress, but she isn't awful,there are def worse. I think her ZZR is also dragged down by a bad script. I tend to judge ZZR based on the wedding scene and the scene where she tells ZWJ that she loves him. Liu Jing did not impress in either scene. Sheren Tang definitely holds best ZZR for me- I don't think anyone has come close imo- I actually pitied her ZZR at the end, I didn't pity any of the other ones. I also think Lu Chen would have made a better ZZR. I didn't know Shu Chang was considered for the role. How sad, I rather like her.

Xiao Zhao's last scene with ZWJ also was disappointing. I think the 86' and 03' were a lot better. I think it was bad scripting/direction in this scene... I think He Zhuo Yan did have it in her to do better.

I was really looking forward to the last scene with ZM and her father... it was always one of my favs- I tend to like it in all the versions. It tends to be an intense and emotional scene, but this one was just meh. The hay scene was awful... I am going to pretend it never happened.

I did however love the scene where ZWJ and ZM meet again after the island. That scene had great tension. And Deng Chao does angry really well. I like that this ZWJ isn't a pushover.

I was sad that ZM lost that oomph she had in the beginning. I loved her when she came out, I liked the command and charisma she had. But she became kind of girlish and petty later w/ZWJ- I felt her character was a bit inconsistant. If this ZM had stayed more close to how she was in the beginning she would have been my favorite ZM. But unfortunately, I think that Kitty Lai remains my favorite portrayal.

It seems in this version they want to build Zhang Wuji-Zhao Min's relationship slowly, so that they get to know each other good enough to see beyond their status as enemies. Much as I love the 1986 version, I do feel the attraction between them is a little abrupt there.

Quote Originally Posted by Surferket View Post
    ZZR actress is a definite miscast and may be a deliberate attempt to avoid splitting viewers' support for a ZWJ/ZM pairup. No one can feel sympathetic towards this version's ZZR.
    To me, it's the initial ambiguity that keeps the romance in HSDS interesting. Until the wedding, we can't tell for sure who it is Wuji will end up with. And since I like Zhiruo as a character, I don't mind feeling sympathetic toward her until the end.

In the 2003 version I remember XZ's mother as being so stunningly beautiful that even ZWJ was smitten by her beauty. The mom in this series is only so-so.
    Really? Since from what I've seen in the stills, Daiqisi is quite beautiful in the Persian costume.

Talking

I haven't finish the whole series yet, I've been skipping around. So far, after the Snake Island incident, ZM is becoming funny now , sometimes I thought she forgot that she's a princess . I haven't see the part where she was acting petty yet. The part where ZM pretended to be a ghost with chopsticks in her fingernails was funny. I think Ady showed all aspect of a regular, human ZM. When she's around her men or carrying on an assignment, she displayed all of the suavest leadership abilities. When she's around her dad, she's all cheeky, when she's around ZWJ, her love attraction, she's flirty, girly and comical

I don't think any HSDS can beat the 1986 version, it was simply classic with the chemistry among the cast, the storyline, the costumes, everything!
    Last edited by TiffTiff; 11-06-09 at 01:18 AM.

ok...WTF is with the ending?!?!
    how the hell does ZZR just literally POP out of nowhere? its reminded me of some weird fanfiction or dream or something. it was SOOO random! that just like ruined the whole ending for me. EW. it was hilarious too though, how like you see her and behind her is obviously this computer effect with the horses moving and everything. my first reaction was like, WTF? and then i started laughing that was weird...

so how is this series compared to the others? i haven't watch it yet so asking. and please tell me the fight scenes and graphics are good? so who does zwj end up with? please spoil me if u can i don't mind.

Sure it's grand and has plenty of nice scenery, and backdrop. But his overall choice of color isn't too great for me. Murky and misty looking sort of speak. I find his atmosphere somewhat claustrophobic. Where as LGL production give off the nice dreamy vibe. At least for me anyway. Though he's known for butchering adaptation as well. (LOCH08, mostly the ending)
    Wuxialover, I'll have to respectfully disagree. Dont get me wrong, I love Li Guo Li. He's an excellent storyteller (I even loved Yang Kang's rather non-traditional ending in LOCH08) and he knows how to use vibrant colors in costumes. But his focus is very personal, on the characters and their development.

Zhang Ji Zhong, on the other hand, focuses more on the larger scale, the whole atmosphere. He really knows how to take advantage of China's natural beauty and knows how to create an ethereal, fantasy and epic setting. Have you seen his ROCH2006, by the way? Watching ZJZ's productions (maybe with the exception of LOCH2003) reminds me of how breathtaking our world is.

Basically, I go to LGL for a good story, and maybe some eye candy from the cast, but I go to ZJZ for the geographic eye candy...and the occasional screenshot to use as wallpaper (mine's currently the Green Willow Manor =)

Quote Originally Posted by loislane View Post
    Since ZJZ is done with Jin Yong works with this HSDS being the last, I wonder what other production will he produce after JTTW?
    Hmm...let's see...if we're talking strictly in terms of the Condor Trilogy...
    2003: LOCH
    2003: HSDS
    2006: ROCH
    2008: LOCH
    2009: HSDS
    2011/12: ROCH?

At the rate of remakes, I'm guessing a new ROCH will be coming out in a year or two. Not ZJZ though, but someone's bound to pick it up (this will be interesting if it's LGL continuing his foray into Jin Yong, considering how he ended LOCH)

I love ROCH, but I really dislike the rapid turnover rate.
    Last edited by yin_shen_quan; 11-06-09 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yin_shen_quan View Post
    Wuxialover, I'll have to respectfully disagree. Dont get me wrong, I love Li Guo Li. He's an excellent storyteller (I even loved Yang Kang's rather non-traditional ending in LOCH08) and he knows how to use vibrant colors in costumes. But his focus is very personal, on the characters and their development.

Zhang Ji Zhong, on the other hand, focuses more on the larger scale, the whole atmosphere. He really knows how to take advantage of China's natural beauty and knows how to create an ethereal, fantasy and epic setting. Have you seen his ROCH2006, by the way? Watching ZJZ's productions (maybe with the exception of LOCH2003) reminds me of how breathtaking our world is.
    Yes I have seen ROCH06, in fact I own it on DVD. I have seen all of ZJZ's Jin Yong series, so far. And as I've said, his production is grand, and the scenery are nice. In fact almost unmatched.

But what I was criticizing wasn't his scenery. What I was going at was his murky misty color scheme. loislane got what I meant.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all either, I'm only saying that its there. At most time its so dense that it kind of give off that claustrophobic atmosphere, which hold me back from fully enjoying the scenery. It's kind of hard for me to explain. Sorry.

Maybe the murky color comes naturally from the location he filmed? I don't know, it seems rainy, and less sun shine. And even with the sun, it still looks somewhat misty. It always look so cold. Each time the actors talk smoke come out of their breath. I feel sorry for the actors with little layer clothing, especially the girls.

Other then the murky atmosphere, ZJZ production editing seems odd to me as well. He often cut, or fade to black before characters fully finishes their lines. It can get confusing at times. Especially when you see people talking at one point and the next you see people fighting somewhere, completely at some other location.

I guess it's just me that's bothered by this. Sorry.

Of course it still won't stop me from watching his work, but still. Just want to get that out there.
    Last edited by Wuxialover; 11-06-09 at 03:52 AM.

I like Li Guo Li's series better due to the focus on character development. Scenery and choreography is nice, but I like series that are more character driver versus looking at pretty pictures.

Just watched the the complete eps 32, okay I take back what I said of ZZR not being awful. I tend to skip to ZM and ZWJ scenes, suddenly saw a lot of her in eps 32, she's pretty bad... (acting and character) I would expect someone like ZZR to have more class, she sounds whiny and petty all the time- and not even in a dignified sort of way (if that makes any sense). She has a lot of lines in eps 32... and she came off very fake. I think after this eps and eps 33 she wins the award for worst ZZR. Even compared to Charmaine Sheh's. And she looks bad with the new hairstyle, her old ones were a lot better. I don't think they are trying to make this ZZR ugly... her costumes are probably some of the prettiest, almost too fancy for O'Mei I feel. And I like the first two hairstyles she had.

For some of the HSDS adaptions I've felt that ZZR pushed ZWJ too much. The way she makes the jabs about ZWJ liking ZM all the time, or when she calls herself dumb (when she obviously doesn't mean it), or in the convo where she's telling ZWJ about how she can't leave everything and the responsibilites of an O'Mei leader, and also I felt at least in this version she pressures him to stay as leader of the Ming group, and how he keeps pushing him to kill ZM. I think she's very suffocating. I always felt that ZWJ was a bit relieved to leave ZZR at the altar, and I can understand it, esp in the version.

Quote Originally Posted by j2j2j2
    I also feel this way when people pull huge, bulky objects out of their magic sleeves...sigh...
    That pull-big-objects-out-of-big-sleeves trick. Maybe Chinese period drama crews watch too much Mary Poppins?

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow
    ZZR appears to have split personalities which come to think of it, might be quite a unique way of portraying ZZR who is after all, a very cunning and good actress, able to put on different masks in front of different people.
    Kathy Chow did this with great finesse. I am definitely not a fan of ZZR, but even I was impressed with KC's portrayal. She was very convincing in the whole range of moods/emotions relayed to the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by syin_shen_quan
    Judging from screenshots, her first appearance is similar to XLN's first appearance as well. I liked ZJZ's consistency.
    I actually thought it wasn't consistency, it was down right replication - which is really not very innovative. The only differences ZJZ's crew couldn't depart from was the yellow attire and show of White Bone Claws. For a descendant of XLN and YG to fight exactly like them is kind unconvincing. Even their child couldn't possibly fight exactly like them.

While I did my 'skimming' too, once I knew the whole series was up on tudou, I felt I was unfair on DC/ZWJ. The romance scenes between ZWJ and ZM are uber cute. I'm very happy they did that whole fake couples scene...both ZWJ and ZM shy and awkward...priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuxialover
    Murky and misty looking sort of speak. I find his atmosphere somewhat claustrophobic.
    I certainly understand what you are trying to 'get at', but like yin_shen_quan, I disagree. There are indeed moments of clarity to the scenic shots. The point is if the mists enhance or detract from the scene. IMHO, the mists never seem excessive, and do indeed enhance the scene. The point of such a scene is the intention of creating a dream-like, escapist, sometimes even etheral quality to the setting...more or less achieved.

I find it strange that you find ZJZ's scenes "claustrophobic". Claustrophobic infers the sensation of entrapment, confined, terror in the perceived absence of freedom. Seeing as most ZJZ's scenic shots are long, often wide-screen shots of nature and geography, I can't see how that could be perceived as "claustrophobic" even if mists sublimated into ice on the spot.

Everyone is due their unique personal opinion. I totally respect yours, even if I disagree.

Maybe the murky color comes naturally from the location he filmed? I don't know, it seems rainy, and less sun shine. And even with the sun, it still looks somewhat misty. It always look so cold. Each time the actors talk smoke come out of their breath. I feel sorry for the actors with little layer clothing, especially the girls.

Other then the murky atmosphere, ZJZ production editing seems odd to me as well. He often cut, or fade to black before characters fully finishes their lines. It can get confusing at times. Especially when you see people talking at one point and the next you see people fighting somewhere, completely at some other location.
    ZJZ's crew shot most scenes in places of high altitudes i.e. mountains. Hot air/gas/mist rises, hence your cloudy mountain tops . Actually, it's more that pressure is higher at high altitudes and this helps maintain moisture at a gaseous state. Well, it should be so, unless I've totally stuffed up Boyle's gas laws.

I've never found any genuine post-production editing efforts from ZJZ's crew. How hard can it possibly be? There are some better edited Youtube MVs than ZJZ's works.

About the ending, I don't think it warrants anyone to expend their precious emotional energy on it. There was no build up to it...we have this rhythm panning along between ZWJ and ZM, and suddenly out pops a ZZR! It was so comical and out of place that it became pure comedy for me. It's almost as if the post-production editior responsible for the ending sort of clicked-and-slotted that ending in either a last minute attempt to be 'artistically ambiguious' (which certaily wasn't the case), or, it was done under late night partying and alcoholic influences.

Or, it could've been an 'Eenie, Meenie, Minee, Moe' decision out of all the possible endings that had been pre-filmed.

I favour the latter, purely because I find no sensible coherence to the ending with respect to the sequencing of its immediately preceeding scenes.

Doesn't bother me, I've got confidence in Ady's HNS ending to look forward to. So far the drama has been even more meaningful than the novel. Given that I found the novel ending to be amazing, I'm expecting great things from the drama itself.
    Last edited by NuDaFu; 11-06-09 at 06:58 AM.

anyone knows when the full dvd will be out?

What I was going at was his murky misty color scheme. loislane got what I meant.

At most time its so dense that it kind of give off that claustrophobic atmosphere, which hold me back from fully enjoying the scenery.
    Maybe the murky color comes naturally from the location he filmed? I don't know, it seems rainy, and less sun shine. And even with the sun, it still looks somewhat misty. It always look so cold.

Heh, I feel the same way. The scenery looks nice and all but the color...always gloomy looking. I hate it, especially when it's supposed to be a happy scene and the everything looks dark. The editing is plain bad.

Quote Originally Posted by NuDaFu View Post
    Doesn't bother me, I've got confidence in Ady's HNS ending to look forward to. So far the drama has been even more meaningful than the novel. Given that I found the novel ending to be amazing, I'm expecting great things from the drama itself.
    could you maybe spoil me a little with the ending of the novel??

Quote Originally Posted by NuDaFu View Post
    There was no build up to it...we have this rhythm panning along between ZWJ and ZM, and suddenly out pops a ZZR! It was so comical and out of place that it became pure comedy for me.
    Although I've been trying to be self controlled and only watch 2 eps per day, I couldnt resist skipping to the YRL parts and the end when ZZR pops out. My mandarin is so-so, and usually I can tell what they are saying by the context, tone, and action...but in this case, ZZR's sudden appearance is so out of context that I have no idea what she said. Normally I wouldnt care so much, but her lines being the last lines of HSDS (really? ZZR? *sigh*), I have to know

...Help please?

Basically ZZR asked ZWJ that he has to do one thing for her like when ZM asked 3 things from ZWJ. So at the end when ZWJ and ZM were talking, flirting with each other and talking about marriage and having kids, ZZR pops out and reminded ZWJ that he has to do something for her and that she doesnt know what but she will figure it out on the day ZM and ZWJ are getting married. Basically the same thing that happened when ZWJ and ZZR were getting married. Her intent is to never let ZM and ZWJ get married.
    MiNgFeIwAlEx