Page 70 of 88 FirstFirst ... 20606162636465666768697071727374757677787980 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 1743

Thread: Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre 2009 《倚天屠龙记》 - Deng Chao, Ady An, Liu Jing

I don't know who is subbing this version. Maybe someone else can enlighten us?

Quote Originally Posted by NuDaFu View Post
    I definitely thought XZ's voice was inappropriate for HR, then again, she didn't put 100% in her performance, so that may've influenced it for me. I've seen her perform at a much higher calibre than HR.
    I'm a big fan of Zhou Xun's portrayal as Huang Rong and I'm a fan of Zhou Xun herself, actually. I think she's a great actress and I like her personality alot. But just recently I realized that in April Rhapsody, LoCH, Beach, Perhaps Love, The Banquet and The Equation of Love & Death(w/ Deng Chao), she was just acting a various of herselves. Please, let me know if there's one series/movie where she's acting a totally different role than her real personality, I'd really like to see.

And to kittyknguyen, yup, HSDS2009 is one of Jiang Hu's future project^^

Quote Originally Posted by loislane View Post
    I'm a big fan of Zhou Xun's portrayal as Huang Rong and I'm a fan of Zhou Xun herself, actually. I think she's a great actress and I like her personality alot. But just recently I realized that in April Rhapsody, LoCH, Beach, Perhaps Love, The Banquet and The Equation of Love & Death(w/ Deng Chao), she was just acting a various of herselves. Please, let me know if there's one series/movie where she's acting a totally different role than her real personality, I'd really like to see.
    Actually, I find that her performances in LOCH 03 and The Banquet are quite different. Her portrayal of Huang Rong is very impish and often shows an attitude of superiority. But her character in The Banquet is mainly a depressed, helpless victim, which makes sense since it's essentially Ophelia from Hamlet that she's portraying in that film.

Unfortunately I haven't seen any of her other performances, so I have only those two roles to compare.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

I don't know about LYF/XLN. I liked the whole performance, from looks to voice to acting (probably in the minority here...taking note of that Wuxialover ).
    *Taking note*

Quote Originally Posted by loislane
    Why are wuxia series nowadays are dubbed, exactly? During TVB Golden 80s and the 90s, they always use their real voices during filming. Are they just too lazy to use the mic during filming or something?
    Actually, I believe TVB still uses the actors real voices. (Cantonese version of course)

Helo..
    i'm a new here..
    just wondering and i like to ask all of you where's the scene where ZM and ZWJ talk to ZSF it suppose to be seen at episode 40 but i couldnt't find it

and still my fav is HSDS Tony Leung ... but this one quite impress me due to Ady's ZM..and Gosh she is beautifull mostly in man's disguise and whoever said she is not maybe something wrong with their eyes.hehehe

over all the colour really bugs me...and lot of touching scene from the book they just made it to short and (i just said haaahhhh, cmon u can do better then this) and i found good chemistry between CD and Ady...

and the actrees Liu Jing (does she know how to act)..remembering sharen tang ZZR when she told ZWZ about her crimes she made a gr8 expression..of sad and desperate .. thats called acting (like i know)
    i will see HSDS 1986 or HSDS 2003 again miss that chemistry between ZWZ and ZZR, even i'm not a fan of ZZR.

Best Zhao Min Ady for sure after watched this how can';t i pick her i'm sorry Kitty, b4 ur the first but now sorry to put u at 2nd place n the last would be that ckckck Yip Tong. she just ruined my image about how beautifull ZM is..

Quote Originally Posted by may june View Post
    Helo..
    i'm a new here..
    Hi. Welcome, I'm a newbie too.

Quote Originally Posted by may june
    Ady's ZM..and Gosh she is beautifull mostly in man's disguise and whoever said she is not maybe something wrong with their eyes.hehehe
    I think it has more to do with taste. Eyes of the beholder as they call it.

Quote Originally Posted by may june
    and the actrees Liu Jing (does she know how to act)....
    Here we go again. The pain.

Sorry to bring this up again, but here's my take on the dubbing

For HK dramas in the 80-90s, most of the filming were done in studios or enclosed areas. It's relatively more quiet in the studio as compared to the outdoor scenes, hence making it easier for the mics to capture the real talking voices of the actors or actresses.

Dramas produced recently has been geared towards more outdoor filming - which means more unwanted noises, and making it difficult for the mic to only amplify the actors' or actresses' voices.

I think this is especially true for ZJZ's dramas, and judging from the constant "hair-blowing" scenes, the noise of the gadget used for such a effect will probably be heard quite often.

Of course, the accents of the various actors and actresses will be another thing to consider. Though the language is the same, there are different ways to speak it, which might make it difficult for the audience to understand the dialogue.

I remember watching Mummy 3, whereby one of the Chinese guys is played by a foreign actor and he was speaking Chinese. Honestly, I could barely make out what he's speaking due to his accent.

That's an extreme example though.

Overall, I don't mind voice dubbing, but it will be a bonus if it's dubbed by the actors or actresses themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by loislane
    I don't know. It's hard to determine a "real personality" unless one knows her personally. I don't even think her interviews or guess appearances could really reflect her "real personality". Heck, even psychologists sometimes cannot decipher "real personalities".

Ahh..I'm just waxing philosophical one you loislane . I'm in a cheeky mood.

Honestly, I haven't seen as many of Zhou Xun's films as you have. Although, of the few I have seen, her acting blows me away.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuxialover
    Here we go again. The pain.
    There, there Wuxialover. If it makes you feel any better, after recently re-watching HSDS87 after something like 20yrs, I loved ZZR way beyond ZM. A very big surprise for me.

I'd like to ask what you thought of Kathy Chow's ZZR? Her presence was captivating as ZZR. She was pitiable in a heart-wrenching way...I think it was her eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by limeic
    Of course, the accents of the various actors and actresses will be another thing to consider. Though the language is the same, there are different ways to speak it, which might make it difficult for the audience to understand the dialogue.
    I think that would be the only reason I think valid for dubbing other than the actor/actresses themselves. What with the technology and programs that can be used to work with sound and media, I don't think it's much of a reason that voices cannot be captured, even in the midst of sound turbulence. Even if not that, the actor/actresses should have the responsibility to come back and dub their own characters.

Although, Taiwanese Mandarin is not difficult to understand. There may be slurs with enunciation once and a while, but not enough to in anyway to hinder the full meaning of what is being said.

I think the production crew just want a level of enunciation consistency with actors/actress's voices at the expense of personal voice expression. Consistency vs voice expression? Seeing acting is more an art than a practical technicality, I would side with voice expression anyday.

There, there Wuxialover. If it makes you feel any better, after recently re-watching HSDS87 after something like 20yrs, I loved ZZR way beyond ZM. A very big surprise for me.

I'd like to ask what you thought of Kathy Chow's ZZR? Her presence was captivating as ZZR. She was pitiable in a heart-wrenching way...I think it was her eyes.
    Oh, I thought she was a good ZZR. Though I wasn't all in crazy crush mode with her, but when she cried I could feel it. So, I guess that's saying something. However, she scared me when she went all evil. And yes, I think it was her eyes too. When she's depress her eyes are sad, but when she went mad, I wouldn't want to stand in her way. heh

Still, I would pick Liu Jing over her, sorry. Bias got the best of me. Sure LJ can't act as great, nor is she the prettiest in town, but there's just something about her that got me. Whatever the case, I'm jelous at ZWJ. Girls falling for him left and right. Makes me want to go out and be a hero. But if I were to go out and be a hero in this world, I'll most likely end up in the hospital. lol

Cruel reality. Never some powerful martial manual laying around.
    Last edited by Wuxialover; 11-11-09 at 01:01 AM.

Touche. Although, when I refer to 'Chinese' idealistic beauty, I mean the ancient ideals: ying tao shaped lips, half-moon styled eyebrows, gua zi shaped jaw, pale skin (which seems even nowadays, is very prized...
    Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, I have to agree

I definitely thought XZ's voice was inappropriate for HR, then again, she didn't put 100% in her performance, so that may've influenced it for me. I've seen her perform at a much higher calibre than HR.
    I initially had my doubts too and the first time I heard it---it was also the first time I saw this actress---I was taken aback. But after awhile I was really impressed by her and thought her voice added a uniqueness that I've never seen before.

I understand what you're saying. Zhou Xun is more of a "personality" actor, sort of like Julia Roberts and Al Pacino.

But check out the series Love Story in Shanghai and you might see a different side of her.

~~~~~~~

That's an interesting way to look at it, even though I have never viewed ZZR as a playful/joking kind of personality (unless of course she was truly tipped over the edge). It seems more like something ZM would do.
    Haha! That was my thinking as well. If ZZR was acting "playful," then that means she really went crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Wuxialover View Post
    Still, I would pick Liu Jing over her, sorry. Bias got the best of me. Sure LJ can't act as great, nor is she the prettiest in town, but there's just something about her that got me.
    To me Kathy Chow was the worst ZZR. She basically only has one expression, it's this zoned-out eyes, mouth slightly open look. In fact she's like that in all her roles.

And actually the after watching certain scenes again, I'm starting to come around on Liu Jing. I agree there's something about her that makes her...different I guess than previous versions of ZZR and that makes her somewhat unique.

~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    For Ady, I think she had a Taiwanese accent and I guess for the sake of consistency and the ancient feel, the director preferred her voice to be dubbed over
    Quote Originally Posted by limeic View Post
    Although, Taiwanese Mandarin is not difficult to understand. There may be slurs with enunciation once and a while, but not enough to in anyway to hinder the full meaning of what is being said.
    I do agree, but isn't this a task for the actor to take on? Like in Hollywood films you'll see English or Australian actors doing an American accent.

So I would think that a good Chinese actor would learn how to mimic the accents of various Chinese regions.

I guess I sometimes feel disappointed (tricked even) when I learn that what I'm watching is actually a composite character. It's almost feels like a Milli Vanilli situation

Of course I realize it's probably not the actors fault, rather the producer or someone in management. But I feel in the end this lowers the quality of aspiring actors, and in the end, Chinese entertainment as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by j2j2j2 View Post
    Haha! That was my thinking as well. If ZZR was acting "playful," then that means she really went crazy!
    Actually ZZR really does look and sound mentally unstable at the very last scene. Either that or she's trying her very best to crack some silly joke because she just doesn't seem calmly sarcastic/ironic or subtly vengeful, which was the feeling i got from ZZR when I read the ending for the novel (2nd edition). Wonder why they didn't just use the 3rd ed's ending when they already adopted the newly added/edited details of the 3rd ed for this series (e.g. how ZZR found the 9 yin techniques on Peach Blossom Island instead of in the HSDS)

I really dislike the ending, which seems really awkward and comical. Would have love it to just end at the scene where ZM and ZWJ view the clouds together on Mt Wudang (with ZM revealing her 3rd and last request and ZWJ agreeing to it). I'm just going to pretend the final scene doesn't happen.

Helo..
    i'm a new here..
    just wondering and i like to ask all of you where's the scene where ZM and ZWJ talk to ZSF it suppose to be seen at episode 40 but i couldnt't find it
    That scene was cut from the final product (probably due to lack of screentime) which is a pity imo cause (although i'm not really excited about ZSF showing his prejudice towards ZM due to her race) from the filming stills and clips, it looks like a beautiful scene, especially with the doves flying about the happy and blissful-looking couple.

On a side note, even though I dont find her real voice suitable for the character, I really love Zhou Xun's HR . Her performance was actually brilliant enough to make me neglect her voice and had a "more suitable" voice been used, the overall portrayal of LOCH'03's HR would have been flawless for me. I really like the Japanese dubbing for Zhou Xun's HR even though I dont understand a single word.

Speaking of Zhou Xun, I think Ady's playful scenes in here actually reminds me a little of Zhou's HR. Especially the part where ZM confiscated the Wudang Heroes' swords (after they wrongly accuse ZWJ for killing his 7th martial uncle) and threatened to slap them if they made anymore noise. Come to think of it, Ady's ZM also reminds me a little (a younger version) of Xu Qing's Ren Yingying in XAJH'01 (which was another brilliant performance)- convincingly cold, intelligent and ruthless but also naturally charming, girlish and passionate.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 11-11-09 at 10:16 AM.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

I understand what you're saying. Zhou Xun is more of a "personality" actor, sort of like Julia Roberts and Al Pacino.

But check out the series Love Story in Shanghai and you might see a different side of her.
    OMG...please, let's not compare Zhou Xun to Julia Roberts. Zhou Xun's infinitely better. Even in Perhaps Love she was able to play two different characters - the young, youthful version of her character and the more serious cold one.

In the Equation of Love and Death, she ranged from dulled, scared to death, hysterical, relieved. Every emotion. You name it.

In no way does Zhou Xun only play one character well.

But even the best actors can have a misstep. Meryl Streep has played everything very well...except Mamma Mia. As someone who watched the show several times. She was all kinds of wrong.

So it annoys me that sometimes Chinese media companies will just casually get a pretty looking face and think they can compensate the lack of acting ability with a good voice actor.

Of course sometimes it works out great, like in the case of Ady in this series. But then I feel like I'm not a complete fan of hers, rather I'm a fan of her + her voice dubber.

I'm thinking of cases like Liu Yi Fei in RoCH. Despite her voice actor being really good, Liu is just a really bad actress. So there was a huge disconnect between the voice and her body actions.

I don't see that a lot though. Liu Yifei seems to be always the one famous mainland Chinese actress people speak of as all looks and no talent. She's the exception to everything.

But I think, for example, all the ladies in Chinese Paladin 3 were pretty and good actresses. Xiao Zhao (Huo Zheyan - I think that's the right name) in this series was good too. They're all from different companies too...Liu Shishi from Tang Ren, Huo Zheyan from Hua Yi, Tang Yan from Chengtian, Yang Mi from ???. They are all the top rising actresses from their companies. I don't really see any basis for a generalization that companies are pushing looks over talent.

And it seems to me, that if they do cast someone lacking great acting talent, there's some dance background at play that makes them more attractive for ancient/wuxia series. Liu Yifei had that at least. Although I do wish Liu Yifei would improve. She doesn't seem to me like a stupid, ditzy girl, simply untalented. And she seems to be nice if a bit introverted and lacking friends that are her own age.

I wouldn't mind seeing her in more series, if, in this extended soul-searching break from acting that she's having, she improves her acting to some degree.
    Last edited by cfensi1; 11-11-09 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    On a side note, even though I dont find her real voice suitable for the character, I really love Zhou Xun's HR . Her performance was actually brilliant enough to make me neglect her voice and had a "more suitable" voice been used, the overall portrayal of LOCH'03's HR would have been flawless for me.
    I have the exact same opinion with you on Zhou Xun's HR. The legendary Barbara Yung's HR has to be pushed down to #2 in my fave HR list after LoCH03 It took me some time to get used to ZX's voice though XD

I really like the Japanese dubbing for Zhou Xun's HR even though I dont understand a single word.
    I loved it too! I understand Japanese, so I really enjoyed the Japanese version of LoCH03. The Japanese dubbers really did a great job, their voices really fits with the character, esp. Guo Jing's dubber, gosh with the Japanese voice, Guo Jing actually looks more handsome for me, LOL.

I'm looking forward to the Japanese dubbing version of this HSDS

Speaking of Zhou Xun, I think Ady's playful scenes in here actually reminds me a little of Zhou's HR. Especially the part where ZM confiscated the Wudang Heroes' swords (after they wrongly accuse ZWJ for killing his 7th martial uncle) and threatened to slap them if they made anymore noise. Come to think of it, Ady's ZM also reminds me a little (a younger version) of Xu Qing's Ren Yingying in XAJH'01 (which was another brilliant performance)- convincingly cold, intelligent and ruthless but also naturally charming, girlish and passionate.
    Hmm... I love both ZX and Xu Qing but Ady didnt remind me of both. For me, Ady reminds me of Zhang Min and Alyssa Chia XD Her portrayal is like a combination of these Zhao Min-s. Ady reminds me of Alyssa's ZM esp. in her playful scenes, or in the scene where she doesn't know what to do in the farmer granny's kitchen^^

If ZZR was acting "playful," then that means she really went crazy!
    I don't mind crazy ZZR.

To me Kathy Chow was the worst ZZR. She basically only has one expression, it's this zoned-out eyes, mouth slightly open look. In fact she's like that in all her roles.

And actually the after watching certain scenes again, I'm starting to come around on Liu Jing. I agree there's something about her that makes her...different I guess than previous versions of ZZR and that makes her somewhat unique.
    Zoned-out eyes is cute. My standard taste for someone's acting isn't very high. lol

But I still think any wuxia actors/actress can act better than any american sci-fi original tv movie actors. They cannot act at ALL. (Note: I am referring to movies such as shark attack, giant snake, killer ants, killer octopus, etc etc and so forth)

However, glad to hear I'm not alone on the whole Liu Jing deal.
    Last edited by Wuxialover; 11-11-09 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cfensi1 View Post
    OMG...please, let's not compare Zhou Xun to Julia Roberts. Zhou Xun's infinitely better. Even in Perhaps Love she was able to play two different characters - the young, youthful version of her character and the more serious cold one.

In the Equation of Love and Death, she ranged from dulled, scared to death, hysterical, relieved. Every emotion. You name it.

In no way does Zhou Xun only play one character well.
    Sorry if I wasn't clearer---I completely agree that Zhou Xun is an amazing actress (way better than Julia Roberts).

And I'm not saying she can only play one character. I'm just saying that in all her roles, I can see her personality shining through. That's not a bad thing, it's just my observation.

Basically her style is different from someone like say, Wu Chien Lien, where you can't really tell what her personality is like based on her previous roles because she just blends in.

And it seems to me, that if they do cast someone lacking great acting talent, there's some dance background at play that makes them more attractive for ancient/wuxia series. Liu Yifei had that at least.
    I can understand the logic behind that in wuxia series since that's what the series focuses on.

I remember in Jackie Chan's autobiography, he mentioned that in Hollywood they would spend weeks filming dialogue and a few days for the action scenes. Whereas in his HK movies, it was the reverse.

But I think, for example, all the ladies in Chinese Paladin 3 were pretty and good actresses. Xiao Zhao (Huo Zheyan - I think that's the right name) in this series was good too. They're all from different companies too...Liu Shishi from Tang Ren, Huo Zheyan from Hua Yi, Tang Yan from Chengtian, Yang Mi from ???. They are all the top rising actresses from their companies. I don't really see any basis for a generalization that companies are pushing looks over talent. .
    First of all, let me say that I really enjoyed Chinese Paladin 3 and I also liked both actresses in it.

But that being said, if their voices were all dubbed, then how do you know that they're good actresses?

Because if you don't hear their voices, then at the most they're just good mimes.

This goes awhile back, but I remember when I first saw Ruby Lin in Princess Returning Pearl. At the time I felt she was a decent actress. But after watching some other series where her voice wasn't dubbed, I realized that she can't really act.

Her voice is ok, but it's the way she talks. The intonation and the awkward pauses made it seem like she was directly reading from a script.

Anyway, I still watch and I definitely enjoy all these series. So the dubbing doesn't really affect my perception of it. It's just that once I become a fan of the actor/actress, I start to want to hear what they really sound like, that's all.
    Last edited by j2j2j2; 11-11-09 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuxialover View Post
    But I still think any wuxia actors/actress can act better than any american sci-fi original tv movie actors. They cannot act at ALL. (Note: I am referring to movies such as shark attack, giant snake, killer ants, killer octopus, etc etc and so forth)
    :lol:
    Some of them could act, if they had a decent script and director, and the production had a budget bigger than .99 cents and a shooting schedule longer than 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by j2j2j2
    Anyway, I still watch and I definitely enjoy all these series. So the dubbing doesn't really affect my perception of it. It's just that once I become a fan of the actor/actress, I start to want to hear what they really sound like, that's all.
    I'm like that, too. I was crushed when I realized Li Yapeng didn't dub himself in XAJH 2001. I still find it very odd to realize that I'm not hearing the actors' real voices most of the time on Chinese shows. That would just never happen in the US. The actors' union would never allow it.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Helo..
    i'm a new here..

and still my fav is HSDS Tony Leung ... but this one quite impress me due to Ady's ZM..and Gosh she is beautifull mostly in man's disguise and whoever said she is not maybe something wrong with their eyes.hehehe

over all the colour really bugs me...and lot of touching scene from the book they just made it to short and (i just said haaahhhh, cmon u can do better then this) and i found good chemistry between CD and Ady...

and the actrees Liu Jing (does she know how to act)..remembering sharen tang ZZR when she told ZWZ about her crimes she made a gr8 expression..of sad and desperate .. thats called acting (like i know)
    i will see HSDS 1986 or HSDS 2003 again miss that chemistry between ZWZ and ZZR, even i'm not a fan of ZZR.

Best Zhao Min Ady for sure after watched this how can';t i pick her i'm sorry Kitty, b4 ur the first but now sorry to put u at 2nd place n the last would be that ckckck Yip Tong. she just ruined my image about how beautifull ZM is..
    Hi, there
    I am on the same boat as you are. Ady an is currently my favorite ZM out of all the adaptions and I used to be big freak about gigi lai's ZM but trophy goes to ady for Zm now. As of ZJW, I really like DC here. His looks is very mediocore but his acting is superb. Maybe people might not like how DC's ZWJ is protrayed because it is more confident than it is suppose to be but I like it more this way. It makes his love for ZM stronger since he is more confident and not so wishy washy. In my opinion, I find Ady very pretty here, in guy or girl outfit. In addition, I also think her looks seem suitable to be a ZM and her acting is just WOW. I also second the thought that DC and Ady have good chemistry, think they have one of the best chemistry in the ZM and ZWJ pairings. Wish they can work together again in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    That scene was cut from the final product (probably due to lack of screentime) which is a pity imo cause (although i'm not really excited about ZSF showing his prejudice towards ZM due to her race) from the filming stills and clips, it looks like a beautiful scene, especially with the doves flying about the happy and blissful-looking couple.
    Aww... That's such a pity. ZWJ and ZM looks really sweet from the stills.

I loved it too! I understand Japanese, so I really enjoyed the Japanese version of LoCH03. The Japanese dubbers really did a great job, their voices really fits with the character, esp. Guo Jing's dubber, gosh with the Japanese voice, Guo Jing actually looks more handsome for me, LOL.

I'm looking forward to the Japanese dubbing version of this HSDS
    A Japanese version?! Wow, I would love to watch that!
    I really wonder how does "18 Dragon Subduing Palms" or "Nine Yin Scripture" sounds in Japanese.

I totally agree that Japanese voice actors are reeeally good. <= previous anime fan

Quote Originally Posted by icrayray View Post
    As of ZJW, I really like DC here. His looks is very mediocore but his acting is superb. Maybe people might not like how DC's ZWJ is protrayed because it is more confident than it is suppose to be but I like it more this way. It makes his love for ZM stronger since he is more confident and not so wishy washy.
    I'm happy that ZM actually got a "declaration of love" from ZWJ in HSDS 2009. I can't seem to remember if that was in any other versions.
    Last edited by limeic; 11-11-09 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by limeic View Post
    Aww... That's such a pity. ZWJ and ZM looks really sweet from the stills.

A Japanese version?! Wow, I would love to watch that!
    I really wonder how does "18 Dragon Subduing Palms" or "Nine Yin Scripture" sounds in Japanese.

I totally agree that Japanese voice actors are reeeally good. <= previous anime fan

I'm happy that ZM actually got a "declaration of love" from ZWJ in HSDS 2009. I can't seem to remember if that was in any other versions.

Really Really how did he "delcare his love " for ZM which episode as i have not finish watching can you please tell me?

Looks like yesasia's got the china version dvd up for grabs, though I'm not certain if this is the official set. I've seen pirated versions on yesasia before lol..
    http://www.yesasia.com/us/yi-tian-tu...0-en/info.html