Page 79 of 88 FirstFirst ... 296970717273747576777879808182838485868788 LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 1743

Thread: Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre 2009 《倚天屠龙记》 - Deng Chao, Ady An, Liu Jing

Sharing some behind-the-scene pics I found in Lu Ziyi's blog (thanks to Lady_Zhuge for providing the link!)

Buhui and Wuji
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/HSDS%202010/57619106t5cfac2e3d06a.jpg')

Little Buhui and big Wuji
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/HSDS%202010/57619106t622c567ccb2e.jpg')

Little Buhui and big Buhui
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/HSDS%202010/57619106g5ba5df6dfddd.jpg')

Lu Ziyi and Liu Jing
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/HSDS%202010/57619106t7037a17fbecf.jpg')

Granny Gold Flower & the kids
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/HSDS%202010/57619106t5cfae594007d.jpg')

Yin Li, Wuji(lying down) & Buhui
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/HSDS%202010/57619106t5cfac9d77473.jpg')

I have to say, Butterfly Valley looks more beautiful without the silly, animated butterflies and the misty air...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/HSDS%202010/57619106g5caaee79d22e.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/HSDS%202010/57619106g6faab1dc237b.jpg')

big buhui is very very pretty. wow...liu jing looks so ehh compared to big buhui based on those pics. and i cannot believe she was voted the most vain amongst the actresses...seriously, it's almost a joke. sorry, i had to take that one jab at her as this matter has been bugging me for the longest time. i'll refrain from now on until i see her onscreen performance. but from what i've read, it's nothing to be excited about. i wish cathay would have promoted lu chen instead.

the child actresses are adorable...can't wait to see this when it comes out in vietnamese. hopefully, shaolin will not have any control over their own name when it's dubbed in another language.
    Last edited by patricia n; 12-05-09 at 08:29 AM.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

This wait is killing me ... does anyone know of any english subtitled versions of HSDS 2009 out there?

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n
    big buhui is very very pretty
    Totally agree. Lu Chen has really nice features and a fresh, delightful look to her.

Quote Originally Posted by goodrick View Post
    This wait is killing me ... does anyone know of any english subtitled versions of HSDS 2009 out there?
    Not yet, but Jiang Hu Fansubs will be subbing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post

Not yet, but Jiang Hu Fansubs will be subbing it.
    Thanks for that link and update. Looks like the subtitled versions wont be available any time soon. Must wait! :-(

Thanks for that link and update. Looks like the subtitled versions wont be available any time soon. Must wait! :-(
    Jiang Hu finished all 50 eps of Royal Tramp in 1 year. But I think it is worth to wait, their subs are usually very good

Have watched up to Ep31.

Wow, I had to hold back my vomit watching Wuji-Zhiruo's lovey-dovey scenes at the island I'm very, very sorry to all Liu Jing fans. But I really hate Liu Jing's ZZR, I don't sympathize her at all. But hey, maybe that means she's a good actress, although I'm not sure myself Well, basically, I never liked ZZR character, not in the book, not in any adaptations. But Liu Jing really makes ZZR alot more dislikeable XD Her older-than-real age looks doesn't help either. However, I noticed Liu Jing looks sweeter when she smiled. I hope she gets a more-cheerful role like Huang Rong or Zhao Min in the future, so she can be more likeable

On the other hand, I'm almost making a verdict that Deng Chao and Ady An has beaten my all-time favorite Tony Leung and Kitty Lai as the BEST ZWJ & ZM. In this 2009 version, in the scene from where ZWJ and ZM met again in the Beggar Clan's big meeting to their dialogues at the inn, DC-Ady gave really superb, excellent performance! Their interactions in the drum was cute. The way DC's Wuji got angry with her was very manly. DC might be the most fierce ZWJ ever, but I like it that way^^ I also liked how DC's Wuji became so confused and had mixed feelings ever since she saw ZM there, it was really a feeling of love and hate. He was so worried abt ZM getting hurt, but hesitated to help her either^^ I love the one at the inn best!! Their banterings was really cute (and of course close to the book). DC and Ady really has liven the conversation I've read before in the book. They're very expressive(but natural, and never exagerrate their expressions), which makes this bantering funnier than just by reading it in the novel. Unnecessary and kind of 'out-of-place' dialogues written by Jin Yong was deleted too here, which I think makes this scene even MORE PERFECT. Tony-Kitty's performance in this particular scene was not that funny and was just ordinary. I think it's because Deng Chao and Ady were more expressive.

Deng Chao and Ady An has great chemistry together, I really hope they act together again someday

Quote Originally Posted by loislane View Post
    Jiang Hu finished all 50 eps of Royal Tramp in 1 year. But I think it is worth to wait, their subs are usually very good
    Wow ... thats not very encouraging to know that I may potentially have to wait upto a year to see the subtitled version.
    Nevertheless, thank you for the info.

I too love the interaction between ZM and ZWJ during the scenes where they meet again after being separated at Snake Island. Really like how ZM swallows her pride and hurt at being falsely accused and puts up a cheerful front while continuing to follow ZWJ, knowing full well that he can't bear to hurt her. The way ZM effortlessly makes ZWJ stick close to her and how she helps him escape from the Wudang heroes etc really shows how intelligent and perceptive a character she is. She never fails to mock/disturb ZWJ and those scenes are really quite comical.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

I can't help to notice that Zhao Min's Mongolian costumes and hairstyle in this 2009 version is so different than what I've seen before in previous version. So I wonder if this is the authentic one? Or maybe the wrong one?

Does anyone has pictures of the RIGHT Mongolian female royal outfit (and hairstyle) in the 14th century?

I really have interests in Mongolian culture lately

Oh yeah, I like that additional line(non-existent in the book) where Ady An's ZM asked, "How do you Chinese people usually hold a wedding?" to granny farmer^^ Thank goodness, finally there's a sign she's a Mongolian, for most of the time, she's really no different than a Chinese woman for me as she speak Chinese to her Mongolian subordinates too XDDD

Oh, btw, I also noticed the dubbers for the "Persian" people deliberately spoke Chinese with a weird intonation and pronounciation? Did I catch that right?
    Last edited by loislane; 12-07-09 at 12:56 AM.

Wow ... thats not very encouraging to know that I may potentially have to wait upto a year to see the subtitled version.
    Nevertheless, thank you for the info.
    Well, goodrick, just a quick update on Jiang Hu's status.

We are getting HSDS DVDs really soon, and we do intend to start translating it ASAP. However, having said that, we are currently busy with CP3 and B&S so it might have to be delayed.

Quote Originally Posted by limeic View Post
    However, having said that, we are currently busy with CP3 and B&S so it might have to be delayed.
    Aww... too bad, I'm really looking forward to your subs (my language subbed-DVD has missing lines and confusing translations XD) But GOOD LUCK and keep up the good work! I'll pray that your team would be able to start translating it soon!^o^

Btw, after I got passed Ep38 (2 more to go!), Liu Jing's b**chy-ZZR has finally grown on me As far as I remember, the novel never describe ZZR's way of speaking and intonation. Is ZZR in the novel described word to word that she shld be like Sheren Tang's ZZR or Gao Yuan Yuan's ZZR? I'm thinking maybe this is just ZJZ's own interpretation of Zhou Zhiruo character? Liu Jing's ZZR reminds me alot of Gigi Lai's ZZR in Jet Li's Kungfu Cult Master. Liu Jing is definitely not a bad actress, she can really act. If anyone should be blamed, I think it should be the direction given to her from the director/producer abt how she shld portray ZZR. So yeah, of course, I still hate ZZR 2009, but it might not be a bad thing at all^^ Maybe that shows how good Liu Jing's acting was (I really hope LJ is a sweet girl in real life though XD). And I also don't think its a bad thing that ZJZ interprets ZZR character this way.

What people looks for in a new adaptation is that, if it offers something different than the other adaptations. When 1986 version came out it offered a more detailed and correct-paced plot and better acting than the 1978 one. As much as I hate the Taiwanese 1994 version, but it offered the more soap opera-ish and dramatic story and acting of HSDS, which some people might find it interesting. The 2000 version offered more focus on Zhao Min and her family. The 2009 version offered alot that other adaptations doesn't has: the beautiful sceneries and locations, the detailed-faithful visualization of the action scenes and martial arts skills, and of course, one of it being... Liu Jing's portrayal of Zhou Zhiruo^^

I think the most useless adaptation was 2003 version^^;;; There's nothing "different"(unique?) about it. I liked Alyssa Chia as Zhao Min, but I think that was about it, I think it even kinda plagiated 1986 deviated plot on Mo Shen Gu's murder mystery(there was another part which I think was very similar with 1986 deviated plot, but I forgot which). More focus on ZM's plot? 2000 version has it already^^;

Does anyone has pictures of the RIGHT Mongolian female royal outfit (and hairstyle) in the 14th century?

I really have interests in Mongolian culture lately
    Haven't been able to find any images of historical Mongolian costumes, but below are some modern ones.
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_vDKK8P79KGE/Rw...c/IMG_5907.JPG
    http://www.womenofchina.cn/Lifestyle...icl01i4m7o.jpg
    http://images.travelpod.com/users/lj...museum_011.jpg
    If the last one looks like Queen Amidala from the first Star Wars movie, it's because they based part of that costume on traditional Mongolian attire.

It's quite likely that during the Yuan period their costumes adapted elements from Chinese costumes, or they may even have adopted Chinese costumes. But I doubt that there was much effort to make the tv series costumes look historically accurate.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Oh yeah, I like that additional line(non-existent in the book) where Ady An's ZM asked, "How do you Chinese people usually hold a wedding?" to granny farmer^^ Thank goodness, finally there's a sign she's a Mongolian, for most of the time, she's really no different than a Chinese woman for me as she speak Chinese to her Mongolian subordinates too XDDD
    In the novel, ZM is described and portrayed as very Han Chinese-like. She’s in Han Chinese outfits most of the time, mostly uses her Chinese name, speaks Chinese and tries to carry herself in a traditional Chinese way too (though of course when compared with ZZR, ZM appears more straightforward, gutsy and bold). If she or Fan Yao did not disclose her true identity, no one would have really associated her with the Mongolians. Her looks/features weren’t described as particularly foreign-looking either.

Oh, btw, I also noticed the dubbers for the "Persian" people deliberately spoke Chinese with a weird intonation and pronounciation? Did I catch that right?
    That’s right. They spoke in a way whites usually sound when speaking Mandarin. Though would have preferred it if they had just spoken in a foreign tongue. Also didn’t like how they got Chinese actors to pose as Persians (its so obvious that the “Persians” are Chinese/East Asian). Unlike the 2003 version which really got white actors to act as the Persians.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 12-07-09 at 03:48 AM.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    Haven't been able to find any images of historical Mongolian costumes, but below are some modern ones.
    Ah, I've seen these ones before, when I studied in Japan, my Mongolian friends wore these outfits for the cultural festival^^ Oh, which reminds me one of them performed morin khuur(their traditional music instrument) and it produced a very, very unique sound and music that I've never heard before. It was awesome.

During a scene in this Mainland 2009 version, when Zhao Min was just sitting back and relaxing at her home, I wonder why did they perform a Persian dance and music instead of Mongolian music Such a pity.

Oh, but nevertheless, thanks alot, sniffles!^^

http://images.travelpod.com/users/lj...museum_011.jpg
    If the last one looks like Queen Amidala from the first Star Wars movie, it's because they based part of that costume on traditional Mongolian attire.
    Ahh, I've read about this before. I wonder if this is the royal highness outfit? Does Mongolian princesses wear this outfit? Or is this a common people outfit? Or is it for Mongolian traditional wedding?

Hmm, now I'm imagining Ady An in that Queen Amidala outfit, LOL.

But I doubt that there was much effort to make the tv series costumes look historically accurate.
    Who knows. As far as I know, Zhang Jizhong is quite detailed and care about these kinda things more, rather than the editing process

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    In the novel, ZM is described and portrayed as very Han Chinese-like. She’s in Han Chinese outfits most of the time, mostly uses her Chinese name, speaks Chinese and tries to carry herself in a traditional Chinese way too (though of course when compared with ZZR, ZM appears more straightforward, gutsy and bold). If she or Fan Yao did not disclose her true identity, no one would have really associated her with the Mongolians. Her looks/features weren’t described as particularly foreign-looking either.
    Yup, that's true. But the novel also described how Zhao Min sometimes speaks in Mongolian with another Mongolians XD

That’s right. They spoke in a way whites usually sound when speaking Mandarin. Though would have preferred it if they had just spoken in a foreign tongue. Also didn’t like how they got Chinese actors to pose as Persians (its so obvious that the “Persians” are Chinese/East Asian). Unlike the 2003 version which really got white actors to act as the Persians.
    Thank you for confirming this! Yeah, I hate it too, that they got Chinese actors acting as Persians

Ahh, I've read about this before. I wonder if this is the royal highness outfit? Does Mongolian princesses wear this outfit? Or is this a common people outfit? Or is it for Mongolian traditional wedding?
    I think this hairstyle (not sure abt the outfit) was also worn by Manchurian royalty. Princess Jianning (played by Shu Chang) in ZJZ's DOMD had this particular hairdo and i've seen a few pics of traditional Manchurian aristocrats with this hairdo too.

I can't help to notice that Zhao Min's Mongolian costumes and hairstyle in this 2009 version is so different than what I've seen before in previous version. So I wonder if this is the authentic one? Or maybe the wrong one?
    I'm not a great fan of ZM's mongolian outfits in this adaptation but i find them more authentic-looking compared to the past adaptations. The typical fury-cap-and-feathers-with-dangling-beads "mongolian look" spotted in older TVB adaptations (e.g., Kitty Lai's ZM, the Hua Zhengs in TVB's LOCHs) are more looks from other tribes (e.g., the Tibetans, Uyghurs) than Mongolian. And ZM's mongolian costumes in the 2000 and 2003 version are simply modern, pop-princessy versions of Chinese tribal wear. Though ZM's brief Mongolian wedding outfit (in an added scene) in the 2000 version is quite authentic.

Wise Fool

I think this hairstyle (not sure abt the outfit) was also worn by Manchurian royalty. Princess Jianning (played by Shu Chang) in ZJZ's DOMD had this particular hairdo and i've seen a few pics of traditional Manchurian aristocrats with this hairdo too.
    Oh yeah, I just remember. So, to sniffles: isn't Queen Amidala's outfit is more Manchurian than Mongolian??

I'm not a great fan of ZM's mongolian outfits in this adaptation but i find them more authentic-looking compared to the past adaptations. The typical fury-cap-and-feathers-with-dangling-beads "mongolian look" spotted in older TVB adaptations (e.g., Kitty Lai's ZM, the Hua Zhengs in TVB's LOCHs) are more looks from other tribes (e.g., the Tibetans, Uyghurs) than Mongolian. And ZM's mongolian costumes in the 2000 and 2003 version are simply modern, pop-princessy versions of Chinese tribal wear.
    I have to say Kitty Lai's Mongolian outfit looks cuter, but I like Ady's mongolian outfits too^^ She looks like a warrior princess

Though ZM's brief Mongolian wedding outfit (in an added scene) in the 2000 version is quite authentic.
    Ooh, very interested to see this! Do you have screencap? Or remember the episode number that has this scene?

Btw, after I got passed Ep38 (2 more to go!), Liu Jing's b**chy-ZZR has finally grown on me As far as I remember, the novel never describe ZZR's way of speaking and intonation. Is ZZR in the novel described word to word that she shld be like Sheren Tang's ZZR or Gao Yuan Yuan's ZZR? I'm thinking maybe this is just ZJZ's own interpretation of Zhou Zhiruo character? Liu Jing's ZZR reminds me alot of Gigi Lai's ZZR in Jet Li's Kungfu Cult Master. Liu Jing is definitely not a bad actress, she can really act. If anyone should be blamed, I think it should be the direction given to her from the director/producer abt how she shld portray ZZR. So yeah, of course, I still hate ZZR 2009, but it might not be a bad thing at all^^ Maybe that shows how good Liu Jing's acting was (I really hope LJ is a sweet girl in real life though XD). And I also don't think its a bad thing that ZJZ interprets ZZR character this way.
    I've not seen the full 1986 version so i'm not that familiar with Sheren's portrayal of ZZR though GYY's ZZR is definitely less "evil" and more sympathetic and likeable that the original character in the novel. Actions wise, Liu Jing’s ZZR is actually pretty accurate/close to the novel but the feelings I get from watching her ZZR is quite different from the feelings I got when reading about the character in the novel. Firstly, I’ve always had the impression that ZZR was gentle and somewhat kind in the beginning (some would argue that she’s a brilliant actress and no doubt she showed capability of deceit and manipulation but still, she doesn’t show/use those traits blatantly and freely and is convincingly sweet and kind-hearted to the reader, me at least). Liu Jing on the other hand, painted ZZR as a wolf in sheep’s cloth from the very beginning. That may not be her or the director’s intention but it was the feeling I got from watching her portrayal. She exudes this sinister, cold and commanding air when she first appears (though it disappears briefly during the Guang Ming battle scenes) which is contrary to the youthful, innocent and sweet impression ZZR should give viewers when she first appears. Then, ZZR is supposed to slowly surprise with her ability to lie, act and mask and this is one of the unique aspects of the character but with LJ’s ZZR, there is hardly an element of surprise or developing/unmasking of ZZR’s character. In other words, depending on how one reads ZZR, there is little development of the character OR I saw true through her real character from the start.

Secondly, despite her young age, ZZR is supposed to be unexpectedly calm, dignified and matured but I find LJ’s actions and expressions lacking in these qualities in several crucial scenes like those on Snake island, at Wan An temple with ZM, the moment ZM appears to disrupt her wedding and even in the final scene where she appears to remind ZWJ and ZM of her last wish. And yes, LJ made ZZR out to be very b!tchy (and to be fair, the character is rightfully so, especially in the later bits) but once again, she inserted this unlikeable trait quite early in the series.

Having said all these though, I just want to make clear that my views do not point to Liu Jing as a bad actress. On the contrary, I find her acting quite good for a newcomer. Just that I don’t like her and/or the director’s portrayal of ZZR which to put simply, is rather flat and one-dimensional given my interpretations of the character. Nonetheless, those who find/view ZZR a “wolf” from the start may be satisfied and pleased with this ZZR.

Wise Fool

Default The Deng Show

I've got the 16-DVD set and am about halfway through, and I'm finding it quite enjoyable.

The first quarter of the show - rather like the first quarter of the original novel - is a bit of a write-off, though. All the worst things about wuxia TV series are there in abundance: overacting, tasteless directing, gloopy sentimentality, and CGI that would look tacky on a Nintendo DS. I had to watch with gritted teeth most of the time, and if I hadn't known what was coming, I'd have given up after the first few episodes; it was enough to send me screaming back to Alec & Alyssa. The only thing I took away from the experience was that Wang Yuanke (Yin Susu) is so beautiful that she even looks good wearing half a polar bear on her head.

Once Deng Chao appears, though, the series quickly becomes watchable. There's a truly abysmal section during which Cheng Kun wastes some 30 tedious minutes gloating over his dastardly plot to blow up the Ming Cult's stronghold - as if he needs another reason for viewers to dislike him - but since then, the directing has been more competent. Zhang Jizhong's team has always been good at moodily pretty camera work and tense, dramatic set pieces, and the errors of judgment here aren't as glaring as in, say, their Shen Diao. The section at the Villa where ZWJ meets and fights Zhao Min is really quite artful and romantic.

I'm quite impressed by Deng Chao. I think real acting is hard to do in the overdubbed, cliche-ridden, filmed-in-a-rush world of wuxia TV, but Deng is a class above the glorified stuntmen who fill out a typical cast. He has a restraint and gravitas which work particularly well in one-on-ones. I'm also really pleased with An Yixuan so far. Her Zhao Min is a naturalistic one: thoughtful, dignified and layered. The director seems to have given her a nudge in this direction by heavily downplaying her femininity, which I think is quite a bold move.

Of the three other ZWJ groupies, I like what I've seen of Liu Jing so far. Although Gao Yuanyuan's soft-focus Zhou Zhiruo made a big impression on me, Liu's icy, doll-like inscrutability fits what makes ZZR rather special among Jinyong's female characters. He Zhuoyan does justice to Xiaozhao's beauty, but her acting isn't good enough to raise her scenes with ZWJ above the level set by the sickly-sweet scriptwriting. I'm not a big fan of Zhang Meng's Yin Li either. Yin Li is insane, but this one appears to be on drugs. (Admittedly, regular doses of spider venom would probably turn me into a clown, too.)