Thread: Nikon - Digital SLR

Thumbs up Nikon - Digital SLR

I've just got myself a D40, with a tripod and all its original set at a bargain. I'm playing around with it and I think, I could start a topic on digital SLR cameras so as to learn and share the photographic skills and knowledge.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1308/727519396_6523599ea7_o.jpg')

I have read up the reviews on the differences between D40 and D40x. The few differences are:-

1) D40: US$599 body and lens vs D40x: US$799 body
    2) D40: 1/500 vs D40x: 1/200
    3) D40: 200-1600 1EV steps + HI1 vs D40x: 100-1600 1EV steps + HI1
    4) D40: 2.5 fps vs D40x: 3 fps

I'm no expert in SLR so I would like to ask: With the above stated differences (apart from the price), do you consider the 3 as major differences? (2 to 4)

In this section of DSLR, it doesn't have to be a Nikon, any brand will do fine. Please also share the weakness and strength of the camera. :
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 12-11-08 at 01:18 PM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

All DSLR will fill your need, they have so much crap in there, you'll never run out of options. I choose not to buy them because of that, I'm no expert in taking pictures, I need help taking them. They have between the gap ones like the superzooms that has great built in lense (much better than the ones that came with any DSLR kit), or small DSLR that's gear toward the consumer market.

I honestly do not have time to learn all the stuff about camera (I took photography class before), but no where near enough to judge/take great pictures. I rely on what they give me (automatic) haha.

I think #4 is talking about continious shooting (they have a term for it, but I forgot what it is). it's basically how fast it can take pictures continuiously. 2.5 fps is pretty fast (i think it includes the flash and the charge time too).

i'm a total newbie at taking photos.

i did got myself a d40 and lens kit from amazon months ago. i'm still learning how to play with it. my mind is swirling round and round with all these photography terminology.

about the camera, i love it. it's light and feels sturdy. the continuous shooting mode is great. i got the remote to go with it too and love it. i just wish more lens can autofocus with this body. unfortunately, no. only af-s lens will autofocus. i've been looking at the 50mm 1.8d on amazon for a while but haven't jump the gun yet because i'm not sure how good i can do at manual focusing.

this is my big camera and then i have the canon a590 for when i need something quick.

i'll love to learn more tips photography if anyone's got any to give.
    ---------
    Shellie

Hey Warlie, that makes a really good reference. Appreciated, thank you

Hi Shellie, you know there's one slightly enhanced version of d40, which comes with a 10megapixel and faster shutterspeed (our d40 is extremely slow, seriously......darn nikon!) - it is d40x. If my memory serves me, I remember that the lens is sold separately for this version. I didn't think tat i needed tat high resolution, and separate purchase of the lens will be costly hence i find the plain d40 a good bargain.

Besides the above two features, i honestly haven't had time to sort out what exactly other features are there (but i will ). i find d40 is an ideal camera to start off with for newbies to photography because it comes with the right lens and stuff. After some time of your "playing around with" the dslr, you'll know what you really need for your advance learning of photography. that's when you get the body and pick your lens (plus maybe the white card and external flash light).

If you want to have fun with your d40, play with the manual mode. Explore it!
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 01-13-09 at 06:10 PM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Don't have knowledge about D40.

During X'mas, I got the approval got myself a D90 immediately before the Boss changed her mind. Got it with a good discount and also able to use my old Nikon lenses. There's a lot of learning and lots of trying, but so far very happy with it.

Hi everyone, thank you for patronising this thread and sharing on your part.

I've just bought a book for beginner to intermediate use of Nikon D40/D40x, which also talks little about the relatives of Nikon dSLR. I'll back to this thread with updates after my discovery of what magic can the holy D40 do.

Cheerio!