View Poll Results: Is this a good advice?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it helps you stay away from troubles

7 63.64%
  • No, it makes you a coward

2 18.18%
  • Others, explain

2 18.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Take One Step Back, There is a Great Sky and Plain

Default Take One Step Back, There is a Great Sky and Plain

Take One Step Back, There is a Great Sky and Plain

This is a old saying of the chinese. It tells people to walk away instead of getting into a fight for small little things as it's not worth it. I personally think it's a good advice. Sometimes small things such as people stealing your parking spot at the busy shopping mall, calling your name racistly on the street, ect. can really pissed you off for the day. I think it's better to walk away from those losers as it's not worth it. They are thugs, why would you want to put yourself down to that level. Fight should be the very last resort like they attack you literally.

Any comment.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 12-20-08 at 05:08 PM.

I practice it most of the time. On the other hand you can't let other people step over you all the time. If they get away with it this time, they will try next time with other people. So for the greater benefit of society, beat him to a pulp .

I agree with it. It's not about cowardice, but why bother with the idiots. There's so many idiots around I will die if I keep fighting it out with them. So I will just step back and enjoy the peace in return.

yeah, i agree with the saying too. and i just practiced it a few days ago when i was on a forum. this guy was just being stupid and i guess i made a good decision of just not going back to that thread, what do you think?

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    yeah, i agree with the saying too. and i just practiced it a few days ago when i was on a forum. this guy was just being stupid and i guess i made a good decision of just not going back to that thread, what do you think?
    Yay - GuGu - I think we share similar experience on the same forum

Anyway, my Karate sensei always said, when you got problem which need you to engage in a fight, the first thing to do is to *run* from the scene, however when that option is not available and the guy keep harassing you, this is the only thing left to do:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/garrett850/UFC76griffin_vs_tavares1.jpg')

I have another wise quote inline with that.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will pull you down their level and beat you with experience!"
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 12-20-08 at 11:36 PM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

But the thing is, asians, we've always been taught to 'mind our own business', but often what happens as a result of that, is that people get away with things.

Let me put this as an example - 8 months ago, I saw this man in his 40s causing trouble in a train carriage I was on.

He approached a woman his age and said degrading, sexist things about her. Another man in his late 20s then approached him and laughed with him. The older man put him down. At the next stop, the older man pushed him as the younger man got off. The two then got into a violent fight for a few seconds. And I was sitting down, watching the whole thing.

What bothers me is that asians.. we mind our business so often that even in extreme cases, we do nothing but ignore the problem.

I reported the incident to the rail staff. Nothing came of it, but I felt I did the RIGHT thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourplum View Post
    But the thing is, asians, we've always been taught to 'mind our own business', but often what happens as a result of that, is that people get away with things.

Let me put this as an example - 8 months ago, I saw this man in his 40s causing trouble in a train carriage I was on.

He approached a woman his age and said degrading, sexist things about her. Another man in his late 20s then approached him and laughed with him. The older man put him down. At the next stop, the older man pushed him as the younger man got off. The two then got into a violent fight for a few seconds. And I was sitting down, watching the whole thing.

What bothers me is that asians.. we mind our business so often that even in extreme cases, we do nothing but ignore the problem.

I reported the incident to the rail staff. Nothing came of it, but I felt I did the RIGHT thing.
    Well, sooner or later these idiots will learn the lesson the hard way. They will eventually meet someone with hot temper and they will pay the price.

Ah! So, it's about displaying Heroism in real life. *bleh! didn't read it carefully*

Well, for me, it depends. It happens that I'm protective of my friends. Size, does not intimidate me. I'd only give way to weaker "opponent". Such as the younger or weaker ones.

As for a situation where I'm just a passerby, I'll try to understand before I stepped in.

Say, in a situation whereby: You're working in a company whereby the 2 bosses are a couple. You're working for the husband and the wife is in the other branch company.

The husband let the wife down (having an affair), and the wife seek help from you to keep track of the husband. What would you do?

Under such circumstances, I did what I (feel) should do, with readyness of taking on what is forecoming!

I'm the type whom I can't stand injustice!
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Take One Step Back, There is a Great Sky and Plain

This is a old saying of the chinese. It tells people to walk away instead of getting into a fight for small little things as it's not worth it. I personally think it's a good advice. Sometimes small things such as people stealing your parking spot at the busy shopping mall, calling your name racistly on the street, ect. can really pissed you off for the day. I think it's better to walk away from those losers as it's not worth it. They are thugs, why would you want to put yourself down to that level. Fight should be the very last resort like they attack you literally.

Any comment.
    if its something small like parking spot sure, but like racist name, no way. theres also a saying, if u give an inch, they'll take a foot.
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    if its something small like parking spot sure, but like racist name, no way. theres also a saying, if u give an inch, they'll take a foot.
    Unfortunately, this is very true. However, in this crazy environment, people are capable of doing anything. They do whatever without thinking about the consequences. Many many people die over tiny little thing. When you watch the show "The first 48", you will know what I am talking about. One of the guy got shot and killed because he cut the other guy off on the road. Sometimes thing seem unbelievable but true.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 11-17-09 at 10:21 PM.

I'm pretty sure that saying teaches us to look at the big picture. It doesn't tell us to punk out of any confrontation like most Asians do.

This is what I don't get about Asians. Many of our ancestors were warriors, yet the majority of their descendents today are looking for any excuse, including misinterpreting their ancestors' teachings, to be a pussy.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    I'm pretty sure that saying teaches us to look at the big picture. It doesn't tell us to punk out of any confrontation like most Asians do.

This is what I don't get about Asians. Many of our ancestors were warriors, yet the majority of their descendents today are looking for any excuse, including misinterpreting their ancestors' teachings, to be a pussy.
    Blame it on deterioration theory.

Through my observation in real life, I would say, this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Through my observation in real life, I would say, this is true.
    I would say they are being smart and stay out of trouble.

Fight first, ask questions later!

I don't need to step back for my "Hai Kuo Tian Kong"

I punch forward and take the sky and lands

Fully agree w/Candide. Taking in a view of the big picture doesn't mean being a pussy.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

TC, I think you use the wrong phrase. You should have use the 1st phrase instead.

忍一時風平浪淨

'Bear it for a while, the wind and wave will become calm'.

This phrase is closer to your meaning than the 2nd phrase.

退一步海闊天空

I think the whole phrase just means 'don't let your anger get into you and start a fight'.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Some people also fight better when they're not blinded by anger.

Btw confrontation and fighting aren't the same - in case some of you think Ren Wo Xing and I are telling people to get into fights. You never want to have to resort to actual fighting (usually that's a lose-lose nowadays) BUT you want to not-fight while being in the stronger position, and not the typical meek Asian who immediately pulls back when faced with the slightest confrontation (ironically that tends to make you more of a target). Walk tall, stand strong, take up space, speak slowly and loudly, look people in the eyes, look like someone people don't want to fvck with, and hold your ground and keep your cool when the few silly souls try to fvck with you.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

I rarely practice this. If I'm angry I unleash it right-away. I don't have a good control of my emotions, and to top it off, neither do I have a regulator installed...so for me it's like an on-off switch; without a spectrum.

When I'm angry I tend to get violent. Especially when I was younger I would beat up people. As I got older I might still destroy furnitures when I'm angry, rude to people, and gave people around me a hard time. The good thing is, I don't get angry very often.

When I'm sad I will just cry...quite unrestrained...I cried in public many times causing quite a drama, usually embarrassment (more to people around me actually LOL) I always thought I should try out for those Qiong Yao soap-operas ~ I don't need eyedrops.

and if I'm happy I laugh too much, sometimes quite similar to a nutcase...^_^ (usually I'm in this mood, so some people thought I'm a bit loony...yeah even my colleagues thought so too)

then theres neutral...and then i will be very quiet. erm.

So far I rarely regret not 'restraining myself' so I figure it's all good.

Or maybe it's just that I don't remember the consequences and consistently make the same mistakes of not exercising self-control??
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.