Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simple Things that are Good To Know

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    Oh yeah, more memories from my young days in suburban (but really rural) China.

I can't remember when I got electricity, but there was no electricity in my village when I was born. I didn't get running water until I think around '84 or '85, so we got our water from wells, which were dangerous because they were open and all sorts of slipper algae grew around them. Electricity was cut off to "conserve energy" randomly, much more frequently n the summer, so several times a week during the summer we spent our nights in total darkness except for oil lamps... although the fireflies during those times were fun.

Then, there were my friends who checked out cow dung with their hands. First I laughed but then they yelled at me for being a "spoiled landowner kid" which has to do with the Commies persecuting my family, who weren't even rich. After that, I just watched them play with the cow dung as if it was dough. They said they checking it out to see if it'd make good fuel...

Then there was my friend, who is one of the cow dung kneaders, who wiped with a stick. He did a number 2 behind my house (desolate area) and stuck up his a$$ to ask me if I spot any dingleberries. LOL.

I am not a complainer in general, but my childhood experience in impoverished conditions also helped me to have a high tolerance.

Despite all the unpleasantness, I still miss those days. There's just a certain freedom in the old days in the village that's not possible anymore today (I used to run around unsupervised all day with friends)... cuz the place has been "modernized." Not too safe anymore.
    LMAO to the dingleberries

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208 View Post
    LOL, you don't get it do you - it's an open toilet even though still in a room. There is no cubicle, only a drainage with flowing water where people squat side by side taking a dump, enjoying themselves while chatting or sending SMS
    No, I didn't get it. Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know that those still existed in the cities, or were you in the countryside?? I have never experienced that so I didn't even have that image in my mind. I was born and raised in the US(mainly in the bay area in California)and never went back to Asia before...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    No, I didn't get it. Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know that those still existed in the cities, or were you in the countryside?? I have never experienced that so I didn't even have that image in my mind. I was born and raised in the US(mainly in the bay area in California)and never went back to Asia before...
    The one that I've experienced was on a gas station at a highway rest stop between Hangzhou and Nanchang

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208 View Post
    The one that I've experienced was on a gas station at a highway rest stop between Hangzhou and Nanchang
    What?! That was at a gas station?? Oh my gosh, I didn't realize that China is still so primitive, even in those areas?? I guess I am still not aware of these things unless I actually see them myself.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.