Thread: Were the Deuns of Dali Hans or Bais?

Default Were the Deuns of Dali Hans or Bais?

When Muk Yeun Ching discovered that Deun Yu's mother was Muk's own teacher/mother's mortal enemy Do Bak Fung, Muk noted that Do was an ethnic Bai. Do then went on to explain that she was indeed Bai, and therefore her son Deun Yu was half Bai.

That remark means that the Deuns of Dali were not themselves Bai. Were the Deuns Han Chinese?

I think Duan Yu's mother is of the Bai Yi (Hundred Yi. Not the same "Bai") ethnicity. According to yahoo answers, it's the predecessor/related group of modern day Bai, Yi & others in the region but is not itself of the 56 "recognized" ethnicities. Either that or it was just a generic term used by the Hans to group everyone in that area together. In any case, Dao's "Bai Yi" is not necessarily the same modern day "Bai" ethnicity. Even the words are different.

Thus, i suppose the Duans can still be of Bai ethnicity?
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 01-06-09 at 07:53 PM.

The Duan's were descended from prominent members of the Central Plains martial fraternity, so I would assume that they are ethnic Hans.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    The Duan's were descended from prominent members of the Central Plains martial fraternity, so I would assume that they are ethnic Hans.
    The culture of the Dali Kingdom, as depicted in Jin Yong's wuxia stories, is characterized as predominantly Han. Mongolian, Jurchen, Khitan, and Tangut civilization were shown to be clearly distinct from Han civilization, but there was no distinguishing the Dali civilization from that of the Hans who lived northeast of them.

I'm guessing that's so because the regime that ruled the kingdom (the Deuns) were themselves Hans.

The Royal family was most certainly Bai.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    The culture of the Dali Kingdom, as depicted in Jin Yong's wuxia stories, is characterized as predominantly Han. Mongolian, Jurchen, Khitan, and Tangut civilization were shown to be clearly distinct from Han civilization, but there was no distinguishing the Dali civilization from that of the Hans who lived northeast of them.

I'm guessing that's so because the regime that ruled the kingdom (the Deuns) were themselves Hans.
    actually, there weren't much distinctions between the Jurchen kingdom during the Jin Dynasty vs. the Song Dynasty. Nor are there suppose to be too much cultural distinction between the Yuan Dynasty and the Song Dynasty aside from the ethnicity of the ruler. It's rather easy to Han-ize the surrounding tribes.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post

You don't have to be an ethnic Han to be prominent members of the martial arts frat. Look at the Murongs. Or Ouyang Feng. Or Xiao Feng.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    It's rather easy to Han-ize the surrounding tribes.
    Yeah, the Hordes looked down on their Yuan cousins for being so sinicized.