Thread: Was Deun Jing Ming really no match for Deun Yin Hing, or just going easy on him?

Default Was Deun Jing Ming really no match for Deun Yin Hing, or just going easy on him?

When Deun Jing Ming confronted Deun Yin Hing at Ten Thousand Calamities Valley, Jing Ming's mastery of 1 Yeung Finger Technique did not seem to be up to the level of Yin Hing. In any case, Jing Ming seemed overwhelmed by Yin Hing's superior skill, forcing Jing Ming to seek help from the Yellow-Browed Monk.

I've been told, however, that Deun Jing Ming's mastery of 1 Yeung Finger Technique is actually not inferior to that of Deun Yin Hing's, and that Jing Ming only "lost" because he was unwilling to go all-out against another member of the Deun Royal Family. Is it true? Was Deun Jing Ming actually holding back? Could Jing Ming have actually matched or even defeated Yin Hing if Jing Ming didn't hold back?

Also, could the Yellow-Browed Monk really match up with either of them? The Yellow-Browed Monk was clearly inferior to Deun Yin Hing, but was he also inferior to Deun Jing Ming as well?

Basically, DZM>DYQ. DYQ reckon he may lose in a few 100 strokes, but it will be impossible for DZM to kill him to save DY. DZM was also unwilling to fight DYQ, as he is his relative from generation above. It is also inappropriate to bring in monks from Tian Long Temple. Or else any of them might have suffice. Thats when Yellow brow comes in. He of course is no match for DYQ, and his shaolin Diamond Finger is no match for either of DYQ/DZM's Yi Yang Finger.

I do remember it said that DYQ's mastery of Yi Yang Finger was > than that of DZM's. In addition, DYQ has an arsenal of Evil arts that he synergises well with his purer Duan family arts. Only his cripple state prevent him from beating DZM.

What yittz said. When Duan Yanqing asked Duan Zhengming to compare their relative abilities, Duan Zhengming admitted that in terms of mastery of YYZ, he was slightly inferior to Duan Yanqing, but in an actual battle, he felt he could win. DYQ agreed, saying that he was, after all, a cripple; however, that victory would not come without hundreds of strokes of battle, and although DZM could win, he still wouldn't be able to take DYQ's life.

The Yellow Browed Monk was inferior to Duan Yanqing (and thus Duan Zhengming) in both martial arts and in chess. Emperor Baoding felt that with but a single helper, he could easily defeat Duan Yanqing; the Yellow Browed Monk, on the other hand, wasn't even able to prevent Duan Yanqing from sealing the acupoints of his disciples during their chess match.

Here is the relevant passage, Ken, translated by yours truly in the DGSD thread:

The two exchanged many stances. Each time, the man in green’s threatened attack would prevent Emperor Baoding from exerting any energy to pushing the stone aside. His knowledge of the various acupoints on a persons body was extremely accurate. Emperor Baoding felt that it was on par with his own, and above that of his brother, Duan Zhengchun. Suddenly, he turned his palm into a finger, and with a ‘chi’ sound, exercised the power of his ‘Solitary Solar Finger’. He pointed at the steel cane. If his attack managed to connect with it, the cane would definitely be bent and warped. But suddenly, a ‘chi’ sound came from the cane as well as it pointed back. Their energy streams met in the middle of the air. Emperor Baoding moved one step back while the man in green’s body trembled. A red light flashed across Emperor Baoding’s face. At the same time, a faint layer of even distributed blue light appeared on the man in green’s face as well.

Emperor Baoding was astounded. He thought to himself, “Not only is this man’s martial arts extremely high, but he definitely must have some sort of past relationship with me. His cane technique is clearly related to the ‘Solitary Solar Finger.’ Immediately, he cupped his hands towards him. “Senior, what is your respected name? I hope you can tell me.” Only to hear a voice sound out. “Are you Duan Zhengming, or Duan Zhengchun.” Emperor Baoding saw that he was able to speak without his lips moving and was all the more flabbergasted. He replied, “I am Duan Zhengming.” The man in green let out a ‘hngh’ of contempt. “So you are the current Baoding emperor of the country of Dali?” Emperor Baoding replied, “Exactly so.” The man in green asked, “How does your martial arts compare with mine? Who is superior, who is inferior?”

Emperor Baoding hesitated for a long moment, then said, “In martial arts, you are slightly better than me. But if the two of us are really to fight, I can defeat you.” The man in green replied, “Correct. After all, my body is crippled. Sigh! I would never have thought that after becoming an emperor, you would have continued to practice martial arts so assiduously and not slack off in the slightest.” Although the voice which emanated from his abdomen was extremely strange, one could still discern a sense of anger and despair.
    The man in green laughed. “Heh, heh. You claim you are the emperor of Dali, but in my eyes, you are nothing but a rebel who coveted and stole the throne. If you have the courage to do so, feel free to go back and call out the national army and the imperial bodyguards. Let me tell you this. My influence is vastly less than yours, but for me to kill Duan Yu first would be accomplished as easily as turning over my hand. If you want to fight with me, you might be able to overcome me after several hundred stances. But if you want to actually kill me, that will be an incredibly difficult thing for you to accomplish. And as long as I am not dead, you will not be able to rescue Duan Yu.”

The color of Emperor Baoding’s face alternated between blue and white. He knew that this man’s words definitely were not false. There was no need to call for the national army or the imperial guards; all he needed was a single helper, and this man in green wouldn’t be able to hold out against them. But this would badly injure the reputation of the Duan family, and would not be in keeping with his own station. He couldn’t kill this man either.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 01-08-09 at 07:10 AM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

A softc0ck like Baoding who can't even bring himself to off some arsehole who's threatening to kill his heir and himself wouldn't have a chance against a determined DYQ.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    A softc0ck like Baoding who can't even bring himself to off some arsehole who's threatening to kill his heir and himself wouldn't have a chance against a determined DYQ.
    I don't think the choice was entirely Deun Jing Ming's. There was *alot* of politics that needed to be considered.

You only get to make the rules in wulin if you're # 1; Deun Jing Ming was not # 1 (at least not in wulin).

I lol-ed hard, but actually agreed with Candide.

In terms of wulin rules, who would know if DZM killed DYQ? And if people knew, helloooooooo, DYQ was the #1 Evil, I think most of wulin would be thankful.

In terms of country politics, well, hey, you have some crazy mofo trying to kill Duan Yu, a royalty, surely that counts as rebellion and good enough reason to kill.