Thread: Gake no ue no Ponyo (Ponyo on a Cliff) (2008)

Default Gake no ue no Ponyo (Ponyo on a Cliff) (2008)

Miyazaki proves once again that you don't need fancy-schmancy computers and 3D graphics to make a wonderful animated movie. What you do need are a good script, talented voice actors, a keen eye for observation and detail, and an overwhelming passion for storytelling. Ponyo charms with its simplicity and hidden depths. Though, I have yet to figure out the core moral behind this story.

Thanks to its extravagant hand-drawn visual (which is one plus point, I feel. The colour pencil setting is mesmerisingly colourful), Ponyo is a movie worth watching as a family and kids movie, IMO.

Expectation was high for Hayao Miyazaki's latest work. Unfortunately, this plot seems too draggy. I actually doze off inbetween a few scene.

Anyone else seen it?

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.elbakin.net/plume/xmedia/fantasy/news/autres_films/ghibli/ponyo6.jpg')

click to show/hide spoilers
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://littledailyprophet.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/ponyo3b.jpg')
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 01-17-09 at 11:57 PM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Yes I've seen it. The story didn't make sense in some parts but the animation is exceptional, he is best when it is water and scenery and some quiet moments. Great animation but frankly I thought the colours is a bit muted. Somehow it didn't look as grand as Spirited Away or as colourful as Howl's Moving Castle. It reminded me of his earlier work, the colours I mean, like in My Neighbour Totoro. But still as charming.

Other than the nice animation, sweet characters and occasional humorous bits, this movie is pretty much a failure in terms of story plot. I'd give the movie only 2/5.

click to show/hide spoilers
    So much hype on world destruction but the harm done seemed pretty insignificant.

So many questions and subplots but none are explored. For example, what was the background of Ponyo's dad (can't even remember his name now)? How did he become part of the sea? Why was his hatred for the human race so strong? Who's Gran Mamare really? Why was he scared of her (because of her size? but even then it seemed illogical since it appeared she could size down)? What did Gran Mamare and Lisa talk about? How were the people at the centre 'convinced' to go into the water? How was their underwater survival ensured?

Having watched a couple of Miyazaki's animations before, I find it hard to believe this slipshod animation is also his production. Too much difference in terms of quality.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Its wonderful animated movie & I like it.
    Its not a bad movie Its Ok.... I'd give it 4/5...
    Your signature is in breach of our forum guidelines. It has been removed.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by tramp394 View Post
    Its wonderful animated movie & I like it.
    Its not a bad movie Its Ok.... I'd give it 4/5...
    LOL, is this the new trick of the trade, a spammer who socialize. You can fool everybody else even the mod, but I'm the SPAM spotter like no others, you're screwed man - baka neko !%$#@#!*&^. WTF with those downloading things on your sig. If I'm a mod/admin, a guy like you I will ban to oblivion even before you start registering your *** .
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 01-14-09 at 10:20 AM.

I'm a big Miyazaki fan and I think Ponyo has his trademark style: lovingly rendered graphics, lovely music (I adored the reference to Totoro they made, by having the boy's mom, in the beginning, hum a few bars of the theme song to Totoro! ), adorable characters, and an incoherent story line!

I think when you watch Miyazaki you have to turn your intellectual self off, and watch it for the mood, for the visuals and music, for the fantastically creative things that happen... it is all like a truly child-like view of the world: A mix of real and fantasy, highly detail focused, full of wonder and joy, but sometimes lacking in logical structure.

If you accept that, Ponyo is another win for Miyazaki... Ponyo is absolutely adorable, and even her father is a silly, funny character, not to mention the boy and his gutsy mom who drives like an insane race car driver! Beautiful images drift around in this movie like other Miyazaki favorites, random things happen, story lines get picked up and then dropped again... but it all makes for a nice ride over all.

I still prefer Howl's (my fav) more- and I probably even favor Totoro and Spirited above Ponyo... but this is up there with the likes of Castle in the Sky and Pocco Rosso.

Thanks for starting a thread on another fine Miyazaki animation!

Summary: Not Miyazaki's best, but still more thoughtful, beautiful and sincerely cute than 90% of the other animation out there.

I know it doesn't make sense but I actually think the main character Ponyo looks kind of scary.

I have watched some of Miyazaki's works and have loved all I have seen (cried like a baby during Graveyard of fireflies) but going to give this one a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by yanfeng View Post
    Thanks for starting a thread on another fine Miyazaki animation!

Summary: Not Miyazaki's best, but still more thoughtful, beautiful and sincerely cute than 90% of the other animation out there.
    I am quite a fan of Miyazaki too. He's new works excites me. The background setting and the colours used really drawn me.

Spirited Away left a deep impression on my mind because i find lots of reflections from it. despite old, i like the storyline of Princess momonoke very much though.

Quote Originally Posted by BearBearNweather View Post
    I know it doesn't make sense but I actually think the main character Ponyo looks kind of scary.
    Ponyo looks scary, in a way, when she turns into the half human, half "fish" specie (the one with chicken hands and feets). Her enthusiasism, in both behaviour and love for Sousuke, is scary, IMO lol.

The moral of this story seems to remind people that true Love should be unconditional. Accept the one you love, as they are (be it kinship or love for two). Given a not-so-cute Ponyo seems to be a test for audiences to accept "ugliness", in a way.

I actually like Lisa very much Cool personality!

On a side note, this is Miyazaki's version of The Little Mermaid, no?
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 01-17-09 at 11:58 PM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Me Global Sapien. Quest: Take pictures of Spiderman

I had the song stuck in my head for days I sometimes sing it when i work. Totally unglamourous

Ponyo ponyo ponyo sakana no ko
    Aoi umi kara yatte kita~
    Your panties are on too tight.

Quote Originally Posted by cheek View Post
    I had the song stuck in my head for days I sometimes sing it when i work. Totally unglamourous

Ponyo ponyo ponyo sakana no ko
    Aoi umi kara yatte kita~
    If I were your co-worker, I'd definitely sing along!
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 02-14-09 at 05:43 AM.