Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who was Madame Wong's husband and just how powerful was he?

Default Who was Madame Wong's husband and just how powerful was he?

In a previous discussion, it was said that among Deun Jing Tsun's women, Madame Wong (i.e. Wong Yu Yin's mother) was the best martial artist among them. Apparently, she was also the most prominent among them in wulin as well.

Just who was Madame Wong's husband (no ARTS, PJ), and what was his status in wulin? Was he a great martial artist himself? Did he have powerful connections? Somehow, Wong Yu Yin thought her mother was in a position to help Mo Yung F'uk after the Mo Yung Family had run afoul of Shaolin and the Beggar's Union. If the Wong Family represented someone whom the mighty Mo Yungs would go to for help, then the Wongs must have been powerful indeed. And yet, I've never seen Madame Wong do anything that impressive martial arts wise, and her underlings (i.e. those old hags who couldn't even defeat Muk Yeun Ching and were afraid to fight South Seas Crocodile) didn't seem all that impressive either.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    In a previous discussion, it was said that among Deun Jing Tsun's women, Madame Wong (i.e. Wong Yu Yin's mother) was the best martial artist among them. Apparently, she was also the most prominent among them in wulin as well.

Just who was Madame Wong's husband (no ARTS, PJ), and what was his status in wulin? Was he a great martial artist himself? Did he have powerful connections? Somehow, Wong Yu Yin thought her mother was in a position to help Mo Yung F'uk after the Mo Yung Family had run afoul of Shaolin and the Beggar's Union. If the Wong Family represented someone whom the mighty Mo Yungs would go to for help, then the Wongs must have been powerful indeed. And yet, I've never seen Madame Wong do anything that impressive martial arts wise, and her underlings (i.e. those old hags who couldn't even defeat Muk Yeun Ching and were afraid to fight South Seas Crocodile) didn't seem all that impressive either.
    Same here... I'm curious to know the truth.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Just who was Madame Wong's husband (no ARTS, PJ)
    Sorry, this is too difficult to resist:

click to show/hide spoilers
    He was a man (I hope).
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

IIRC, Madame Wang's husband was the younger brother of Murong Fu's. We really don't know much about him.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    IIRC, Madame Wang's husband was the younger brother of Murong Fu's. We really don't know much about him.
    You mean Murong Bo's?

Quote Originally Posted by KJ View Post
    You mean Murong Bo's?
    Er, sorry; I meant to say Murong Fu's mother, who came from the 'Wang' family. He was Murong Bo's brother-in-law.

Why were the Wongs considered such big shots in wulin? Did they have extraordinary martial arts skills (comparable to those of the Mo Yung and Deun families)? Just what was the extent of Madame Wong's martial arts? Ah Chu and Ah Bik seemed deathly afraid of her, and it wasn't just her hostile attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Why were the Wongs considered such big shots in wulin? Did they have extraordinary martial arts skills (comparable to those of the Mo Yung and Deun families)? Just what was the extent of Madame Wong's martial arts? Ah Chu and Ah Bik seemed deathly afraid of her, and it wasn't just her hostile attitude.
    Possibly because of their links to the Murong family and their extensive library?

Given Madam Wang's penchant for brutality, it's no wonder Ah Zhu and Ah Bi fears her so much. You don't really need to be that powerful in martial arts to strike fear into people's hearts, plus the two girls' martial arts weren't so great they could relax.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Possibly because of their links to the Murong family and their extensive library?

Given Madam Wang's penchant for brutality, it's no wonder Ah Zhu and Ah Bi fears her so much. You don't really need to be that powerful in martial arts to strike fear into people's hearts, plus the two girls' martial arts weren't so great they could relax.
    When Madame Wong ordered her underlings to cut off Ah Chu and Ah Bik's arms, the two girls didn't resist at all. Given that the girls knew martial arts, I found it odd that they didn't try to put up any resistance. The only reason that I figured they didn't is because they knew that they were no match for Madame Wong.

Of course, being better in martial arts than Ah Chu and Ah Bik isn't difficult. As you observed, they aren't very powerful martial artists. The clincher, however, is when Wong Yu Yin begged her mother to go rescue Mo Yung F'uk from the Shaolin monks that Yu Yin believed her cousin would be fighting.

Wong Yu Yin is very knowledgeable about martial arts. She knows how powerful those Shaolin monks are. If she's going to ask her own mother to take on those monks to save her cousin, then she must know that her mother is a very formidable martial artist.

Still...powerful enough to take on Shaolin monks? In DGSD, only a handful of people were powerful enough to do that, and I don't think (based on what little I know) that Madame Wong met that qualification.

Default Based on TV adaptations alone

That's odd. I was always under the impression that Madame Wang never knew martial arts. Unlike her 'presumed' powerful parents, I thought she never practiced martial arts, though she was able to recognize the Care-free Sect's martial arts. If she did, MuRong Fu would not have taken her hostage so easily.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Madame Wang didn't know any martial arts. In the excerpt Ken is referencing, Wang Yuyan asked her mother to send people to assist.

Of course, as the subordinates of the Wang appear to be on Mu Wanqing level at best, she hardly would've been able to do anything.

Wang Yuyan said, “Mother, my cousin definitely did not kill master Xuanbei of Shaolin. He doesn’t know how to use…” But just as she was about to say ‘the Veda Sceptre technique’, she hurriedly paused. As soon as her mother found out where she had heard those words from, it would be almost impossible for Duan Yu to escape death. Instead, she said, “…I’m afraid his martial arts level isn’t good enough.”

Madame Wang said, “True. Right now, he went to pay a visit to Shaolin. Those blabbermouth servant girls naturally have already told you this. ‘Nothern Qiao Feng, Southern Murong.’ This saying is really famous and resounding. But can one Murong Fu, plus a Deng Baichun, really get any good results from this trip to Shaolin by themselves? He really doesn’t know his own limits!” Wang Yuyan took a few steps forward. In a supplicating voice, she said, “Mother, can you please think of a way to rescue him? Can you send some people to go give him a helping hand? He…he’s the last descendant of the Murong lineage. If something bad happens to him, the Murong family line will come to an end and their lineage be extinct.” Madame Wang sneered, “Gusu’s Murong family. Hmph. What does the Murong family has to do with me? Your auntie claimed that her Murong family’s ‘Water Pavilion of Bestowal and Repayment’ is superior to our ‘Jade Cavern Library’. Fine. Then let her precious son, Murong Fu, go to Shaolin and display his power and might.” With a wave of her hand, she said, “Leave, leave!” Madame Wang said, “Mother, my cousin…” Madame Wang snapped, “You grow more and more impudent!”

Tears glistened in Wang Yuyan’s eyes. Lowering her head, she left. Her mind was running wild and she had no idea what to do. As she walked to a porch in the west wing of the house, she heard someone say in a low voice, “Miss, what’s wrong?” Wang Yuyan raised her head. It was Duan Yu. She hurriedly said, “You…don’t talk to me!”

You know, DGSD '81 is often lambasted for its inaccuracy and taking liberties, but that section, at least, was reproduced almost *word for word* from the novel.

I'm surprised that Madame Wong (like her daughter) can't fight at all. Earlier in this thread, someone said that her martial arts were the best among all of Deun Jing Tsun's lovers.

In the series, Madame Wong gave only one brief exhibition of her martial arts skills, and that was to throw a pair of gardening scissors at Kau Mor Tze. Kau Mor Tze, naturally, caught the scissors easily, but it looked like a throw that would have killed most other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Er, sorry; I meant to say Murong Fu's mother, who came from the 'Wang' family. He was Murong Bo's brother-in-law.
    Egad! Murong Fu's MOTHER was Murong Bo's BROTHER-in-law!?!?!
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Egad! Murong Fu's MOTHER was Murong Bo's BROTHER-in-law!?!?!
    It's not complicated, and yet, somehow, it is.

So Master Wong (Wong Yu Yin's adoptive father) was the younger brother of Mo Yung Bok's wife. That's the primary link between the Mo Yungs and the Wongs.

Argh, CC, read the post before!

To synthesize, Madame Wang's husband was Murong Bo's wife's younger brother, making him the brother-in-law of Murong Bo.

Wang Yuyan bit her lower lip. “Auntie blamed you for killing people indiscriminately, to the point where you offended the local government authorities as well as created many vendettas with people of the martial world.”

Madame Wang said, “Correct. These are the affairs of the Wang family. What did they have to do with her Murong family? She was nothing more than your father’s elder sister. What authority did she have to try and govern me? Hmph, over the past few hundred years, the only thing the Murong family has done is dream about ‘restoring the Yan dynasty’. All they can think about is uniting the heroes of the world under their banner. They fawn on people and try to make alliances. Heh heh, and now, they’ve even offended both the Beggar’s Clan and Shaolin.”
    So Murong Fu's mother was the elder sister of Wang Yuyan's "father"/Madame Wang's husband. IE, Madame Wang's husband would've been Murong Bro's younger bro-in-law.

This thread has taken a hilarious tangent, but getting back on topic...

Was this Master Wong (e.g. Wong Yu Yin's adoptive father) a great martial arts expert? There's probably more to his reputation in wulin than just having an extensive martial arts library, right? Do you think he might have been a martial artist at least on par with any of the Deuns of Dali or perhaps even Mo Yung Bok himself?

Based on Murong Bo's obsession with restoring his dynasty, it is unlikely that he would marry someone without status or power. The Wong's martial arts library was Mdm Wong's, brought in after Murong Fu was born (WYY was conceived before Mdm Wong married Master Wong), so it can't be that. Therefore, they are either highly placed goverment servants (unlikely), very rich or have a reputation as being very good martial artists.

Since no other Wongs were around in DGSD, it is hard to tell if they actually know any martial arts.

But they do own an island, so they must at least be rich.

I can't remember if she actually knew any martial arts herself, but she was in contact with her step-dad (or was Ding the dad?) and was holding on to XWXG for him along with that library of hers. So it seems weird that she herself would not know any martial arts.
    Quote Originally Posted by remixedasian View Post
    6: Duan Yu is the greatest martial artist of all time

The Wongs seemed to be rich as well. At one point, I remember Madame Wong mentioning something about Mo Yung F'uk coming to her for money to fund his kingdom-restoring activities.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

the wong's should have been a powerful autocratic family in wulin with some exceptional martial arts since the murong's considered them suitable for murong bo to take a bride from, also his wife used to help murong bo to decipher the advanced martial arts footwork manual from xiao yai pai and also took on the task of raisng murong fu after murong bo faked his death. murong fu was probably in the range of the top ten experts through he would have been in last place, so that shows how good mdm murong was. mdm wong was LQS's daughter and would have learnt xiao yai pai skills and should have been the source for the manual murong bo and his wife were studying. the manuals in the jade library of heaven was from LQS taken from the jade caven in wuji shan in dali. mdm wong should be murong fu level in skills at least. and her subordinates should have learned a bit of good skills through they were servants so they should not be taught too much.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

I'm confused. Does Madam Wong know who her parents are?