Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Gigi Lai getting married

Why this thread suddenly became discussion thread for prostitution?

We don't know the true story behind Gigi decision to marry Mr Ma. But it's true that she's been shouldering the responsibility of taking care of her family and putting her younger brother through medical school since the tender age of 14. So if she want someone who is caring and understanding, and can provide for her family, it's understandable. Granted I don't like her acting, but still she deserves happiness.

Anyway Mingpao daily have published the story today and from this magazine's track record, they're quite accurate. So we'll just see if she's really getting married in a month's time.

p.s. Regarding actresses marrying rich men or fellow artistes, it's not just the money. It's also because they rarely get to meet regular guys. They're always busy working and attending events and as result, rich men and fellow artistes are the people they get acquainted most with. Regular people won't be able to stand their irregular working schedules, lifestyles, paparazzis report etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    Not very different than prostitutes, yet prostitutes get such a bad rep while these stars get put up on a pedestal.

THere are truly talented stars and good grounded people for sure, I am only referring to the eye candy types.
    It really depends if they marry rich, divorce, repeat.
    If they just marry one rich guy and that's it, then there's no comparison.

I would disagree. If a prostitute could find a rich client to commit to taking care of her, she wouldn't need to continue being a hooker.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

eh, it takes two to tango. Why only blame on the actress? I think their rich husbands know that their money is attractive.
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

I don’t think anyone is blaming the woman side. The discussion is just about the nature of the marriage. We know he’s marrying her for her looks and fame. The question is whether she’s marrying for money, which if she is, then that wouldn’t make her much different than a prostitute because exchanging body for $ is what prostitutes do too. I don’t put down prostitutes like I have already mentioned, so I am not putting Gigi down either. I am just drawing a parallel and saying that there’s little difference between the two.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://images2.sina.com/newscenter/oth/phoenixtv/502-104-103-108/2008-10-23/b101a907ea2b129e2fa4a8bc8f7a819f.jpg')

And take a look at this guy. If he wasn’t filthy rich, would she date him? If not, then she is marrying for money.

Oh hey btw, the older dude’s uncle was a major drug lord. LOL.

I don’t think anyone is blaming the woman side. The discussion is just about the nature of the marriage. We know he’s marrying her for her looks and fame. The question is whether she’s marrying for money, which if she is, then that wouldn’t make her much different than a prostitute because exchanging body for $ is what prostitutes do too. I don’t put down prostitutes like I have already mentioned, so I am not putting Gigi down either. I am just drawing a parallel and saying that there’s little difference between the two.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://images2.sina.com/newscenter/oth/phoenixtv/502-104-103-108/2008-10-23/b101a907ea2b129e2fa4a8bc8f7a819f.jpg')

And take a look at this guy. If he wasn’t filthy rich, would she date him? If not, then she is marrying for money.

Oh hey btw, the older dude’s uncle was a major drug lord. LOL.

I know what you mean Jiang Bao. I agree with you as well. These rich men marry actresses for looks and fame, while these actresses marry for money. That is probably one of the main reasons why these 2 groups are associated with each other. My mom still always wonders why these rich men like to marry actresses?? Also, actors can marry normal citizens that are not rich and from the circle so why can't actresses do that too?? I think that is why some hard core traditional families look down on actresses and don't like their sons to marry actresses, UNLESS they really care about fame and looks.

About whether Gigi would date him, honestly... I don't think she would if he wasn't rich. These actresses marrying rich old men really remind me of attractive girls from China, Vietnam and some 3rd world countries marrying pretty much anyone just to come to the US, Canada or some other better country. However, if their life in Vietnam, China or any other country was not that bad and they found out that the guy that was going to bring them to the US/Canada did not make much, then they definately would not care to marry him or come anymore. That was how it was for one of my distant relatives too. Once again, it all comes to down to: MONEY and standard of life...
    Last edited by Trinie; 01-20-09 at 06:42 PM.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Most girls want to marry a rich guy who treats her well. Most guys want to marry a beautiful girl who will treat him well. Who doesn't actually? It's just that most people don't get what they want, so they settle for less. Doesn't mean they are less "shallow". What is "shallow" anyway?

She may like the fact that he's rich, that's part of the package. But she may also like how well he treats her. He may like how pretty she is, but he may also like her as a nice girl. There can still be sincerity in the marriage. Like I said, Gigi hasn't shown herself to be a fake shameless flirt over the years, so I'd give her my blessing.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by expression View Post
    Most girls want to marry a rich guy who treats her well. Most guys want to marry a beautiful girl who will treat him well. Who doesn't actually? It's just that most people don't get what they want, so they settle for less. Doesn't mean they are less "shallow". What is "shallow" anyway?

She may like the fact that he's rich, that's part of the package. But she may also like how well he treats her. He may like how pretty she is, but he may also like her as a nice girl. There can still be sincerity in the marriage. Like I said, Gigi hasn't shown herself to be a fake shameless flirt over the years, so I'd give her my blessing.
    Good point that you bought up, however, I think it is a matter of whether she at least has fond/positive feelings towards him(lif she really doesn't love him) if you are talking how well they treat each other. Honestly, I have seen really nice guys/girls treat their bf/gf well, BUT if the other person does not replicate that or at least accept it wholeheartedly then the whole thing is completely meaningless. Therefore, maybe there is still some sincerely and Gigi got touched by how well he treats her and of course he happens to be rich as well so she is going for it. I also agree with you that if you can't find what you really want, especially if you are getting older and all you just have to settle for something less, but also decent if you still have somewhat of a choice.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

To the point of Gigi behaving herself, Gillian Chung worked hard to uphold a clean image pretty well until the Edison Chen photo tsunami blew off the facade. Who knows what Gigi really did/does in her private life. All the public gets to see is what she and her publicity managers put forward - and possibly when the paparazzi catches her.

In any event, how she's behaved in public or in private is irrelevant to whether the marriage is for money or not. Again, I am not killing her for marrying for money,she can marry whoever she wants to. Just putting the marriage in perspective.

Well, my point is there's no way for us to know whether she marries only for money or not. Heck, I doubt if she herself knows that. So just to show myself to be a nice granny, I'd give her my blessing here.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

nope we can't know for sure, but we can make a logical guess. Like I said, if the disabled 52 year old man had middle class income instead of being super rich in part due to his daddy, does she marry him? If not, then she's marrying for money.

I don't mean to judge Gigi, but I think she is marrying for money. However, I am not 100% sure if it is just for money, but money is definately one the main reasons why. Like Jiang Bao, IF he only had a middle class income and was old and disabled, would she marry him?? Honestly, I bet the answer would be "no".

Gigi prefers older men?
    Diva Asia

The entertainment industry in Hong Kong has reported that Gigi Lai, 38, who recently left the industry to look after her brother who was injured in an accident, will be getting married on Feb 22 in Sydney, Australia.

The groom-to-be is Mr Ma, 52, a wealthy businessman who is 15 years older than her.

News of her marriage has graced the front pages of local Chinese tabloids and the media has even labelled her as someone who has
    always been fond of older men.

According to my paper, Gigi reportedly prefers dating men who are relatively older than her. Her ex-boyfriends include Hong Kong comic king, Tony Wong, who is 21 years older than her, as well as Xu Jing Xiang, who is 9 years her senior.

Ever since her brother was hospitalised, Mr Ma, who is disabled, has provided Gigi with much support both financially and emotionally.
    It was during these tough times when he told Gigi: "Stop working. I will look after you for life."

Gigi was so touched by his remark that she decided to give up her career and marry Mr Ma, according to the report in my paper.

Entertainment news reports on the Internet have also mentioned that the wedding, which is to be held next month, will be a simple Christian ceremony but the wedding will not be held in a church.

No celebrities will be invited as Mr Ma has always been someone of low profile.

It has also been said that Gigi and her fiance will be visiting Sydney before the Lunar New Year to have their wedding rings custom made at a jewellery store there.

Gigi has not responded to the media's queries regarding her wedding.

Ok, even if his money was a big thing in the marriage, but if the man genuinely supported her, then I think gigi strays a bit from the prostitute lablel right there.

Society puts a bad connotation with prostitutes, that’s why some people get offended when certain other people who do x y and z get compared.

Prostitutes earn an honest living. They provide a service for money. Some people may have “moral” objections to the service, but lawyers, doctors, politicians, etc. rip off more people than prostitutes have ever done. I am not suggesting ALL lawyers et al. are crooks. I mean that overall as a profession, those guys cheat more people than prostitutes.

Gigi Lai is still marrying for money. Like I said, if a prostitute can get a rich dude to take care of her long term (to “bao” her, in Chinese), she would probably gladly take it too. It sounds like the dude has taken care of Gigi and her family for a while now, so not much difference there.

Would the old dude take care of Gigi if he didn’t wanna boink her? Would Gigi marry him if he wasn’t rich? No and no.

Society puts a bad connotation with prostitutes, that’s why some people get offended when certain other people who do x y and z get compared.

Prostitutes earn an honest living. They provide a service for money. Some people may have “moral” objections to the service, but lawyers, doctors, politicians, etc. rip off more people than prostitutes have ever done. I am not suggesting ALL lawyers et al. are crooks. I mean that overall as a profession, those guys cheat more people than prostitutes.

Gigi Lai is still marrying for money. Like I said, if a prostitute can get a rich dude to take care of her long term (to “bao” her, in Chinese), she would probably gladly take it too. It sounds like the dude has taken care of Gigi and her family for a while now, so not much difference there.

Would the old dude take care of Gigi if he didn’t wanna boink her? Would Gigi marry him if he wasn’t rich? No and no.
    Putting prostitute issue aside because that is not the discussion I am getting at, but I am saying is there something wrong with repaying kindness with your own? I honestly don't believe all marriages in this word has 100 % of romantic passion and "true love". People can grow fond with each other, or people do marry because they NEED to settle down. There might not be love in there, but there can be " on nghia", ok i don't know how to say it english but is more like someone did an incredible favor for you that wasn't just the money, but it was kindness, love towards you, unconditional.e tc

I am no way defending Gigi b/c i am skeptical about the entertainment world as well. I don't believe what they show us and I don't believe that many starlettes out there are really nice and kind as the image. Some even got shown to sleep with their directors to get roles. Gigi can marry for money, find, good for her, let her be in a superficial marriage,it's her choice. But I am just saying, I know vietnamese women who marry men for green card. Some are for getting agreen card,but some because the men saved them from proverty. For the latter, they aren't going around spending their husband's money. they do live very happily with their husbands and kids.

eh, w.e if she want to marry, she can marry. dont matter. good luck for her, and i don't want to argue on this subject.

Things in the real world are usually neither as pretty nor ugly as we thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Putting prostitute issue aside because that is not the discussion I am getting at, but I am saying is there something wrong with repaying kindness with your own? I honestly don't believe all marriages in this word has 100 % of romantic passion and "true love". People can grow fond with each other, or people do marry because they NEED to settle down. There might not be love in there, but there can be " on nghia", ok i don't know how to say it english but is more like someone did an incredible favor for you that wasn't just the money, but it was kindness, love towards you, unconditional.e tc

I am no way defending Gigi b/c i am skeptical about the entertainment world as well. I don't believe what they show us and I don't believe that many starlettes out there are really nice and kind as the image. Some even got shown to sleep with their directors to get roles. Gigi can marry for money, find, good for her, let her be in a superficial marriage,it's her choice. But I am just saying, I know vietnamese women who marry men for green card. Some are for getting agreen card,but some because the men saved them from proverty. For the latter, they aren't going around spending their husband's money. they do live very happily with their husbands and kids.

eh, w.e if she want to marry, she can marry. dont matter. good luck for her, and i don't want to argue on this subject.
    A lot of marriages these days don't even involve love at all, which is sad but true. Many people that I know are only getting married because they know their biological clock is ticking. Therefore, IF they don't settle down eventually, they will not be able to have kids. Marriage a lot of times is like a deal, convenience or for some other reason, NOT love.

As for the money part, honestly... WHO doesn't marry for money to a certain extent??But the thing is, is the girl marrying ONLY for money or not? Even one of my friends who is happily married and really loves her husband. However, she even told me that one of the reasons she is with him is that he is well off. It's not that she cares for money ONLY. However, she says that if you chose a guy that is well off(Not necessarily rich, but well off), it shows that you know how to look out for yourself and your future children since you will want someone that will be able to support you and your children. I partly agree with that, but I still think that type of thinking is VERY traditional and shows that it is still the guy that is expected to be the main bread winner. IF the girl was more of the bread winner and is more successful, I don't think she would expect the guy to be as well off. But I think the guy still has to have a decent job and career or else I think the guy would have a really hurt ego if the girl has to support him and their family. Anyways, who would want to marry a poor bum that has nothing right?? But it is true that IF a girl was decent looking and had nothing(like one of the my friends for example), a decent guy will more still more likely want to marry them. ON the contrary, IF a guy was broke and had nothing, I don't think any girl would want to marry them..... Which is sad but true.

About Gigi, in terms of age.. It honestly isn't that bad. He is only 15 years older than her which I think is no big deal at all.. Maybe she is touched by how much he cares for her and her family and yea, he happens to be rich as well. She is getting older and if she continues to work and be picky, she may end up alone.... Therefore, she is going for it. I wish her the best regardless of the reason she is marrying for...

Yeah Trinie, it's like how every single guy look at the face and body first.

Frankly, yea, I mean for someone who makes as much as she does and given her fame, if she wants to marry rich, she certainly wouldn't be on my list of "Gold Diggers to be judged" *rolls eyes*.

And really, I think it's quite difficult to marry for money. You are essentially under the wraths of someone who has the "I am supporting you" thing over your head 24/7. And likely you can't be too choosy about it. And really....yea. I don't know what else I was going to say about it =P

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post

It's a chicken or the egg question in terms of Mr. Ma paying for GL's bro's medical expenses.

Would he do that if he wasn't dating her? But, if he wasn't rich in the first place, would she have been dating him in the first place? There was always an ulterior motive behind their actions. I am not saying the marriage or her reasons for marriage are bad, it's just the way it is.

Kindness is fine and all, but the key factor was still his super deep pockets. I don't know anything about Mr. Ma, so he may in fact be capable of altruistic kindness, I don't know. But in this case with Gigi, it doesn't look like that to me. Also, kindness doesn't get you very far with women who have options if you don't have at least some dough to back it up with. And for women who can get almost any man she wants (such such a very attractive, famous woman), one would need deep pockets.

Again, not knocking women for wanting rich men or men for wanting hot ladies; just kinda stating the obvious.