Food for life
    Enjoy, young lady!
    an unhealthy meal is a delicious meal though
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    an unhealthy meal is a delicious meal though
    that's why you have a beer belly.. even though you don't drink!
    start eating healthy like ced!

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    that's why you have a beer belly.. even though you don't drink!
    start eating healthy like ced!
    i have a 4 pack!!!! and i dont drink.......................... that often

Question: If I make a burrito for lunch, do I keep it in the fridge and heat up when I want to eat? Also, will it become soggy and gross with pasta sauce?

Quote Originally Posted by beansprouts View Post
    Question: If I make a burrito for lunch, do I keep it in the fridge and heat up when I want to eat? Also, will it become soggy and gross with pasta sauce?
    yes and yes

best way to make a burrito is have all the inside fillings in a container. heat that up. then take the wrapping and heat that up and pour all the stuff in there and wrap in on the spot.

I decided that if I like this recipe I'll eat it almost everyday for lunch. I used to eat peanut butter but there's a salmonella scare going around and my best friend asked me very politely if I could not eat peanut butter becuase she's allergic and the smell of peanuts offends her.

I ate peanut butter because as a vegetarian I needed protien but this recipe has plenty of protein too.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/58993/to...ch-spread.html
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang ( : View Post
    I decided that if I like this recipe I'll eat it almost everyday for lunch. I used to eat peanut butter but there's a salmonella scare going around and my best friend asked me very politely if I could not eat peanut butter becuase she's allergic and the smell of peanuts offends her.

I ate peanut butter because as a vegetarian I needed protien but this recipe has plenty of protein too.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/58993/to...ch-spread.html
    ur so young and ur a vegetarian already u are missing out on a lot of stuff but thats cool that ur a vegetarian

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    ur so young and ur a vegetarian already u are missing out on a lot of stuff but thats cool that ur a vegetarian
    Not to me. One day when I was 12 I decided that I don't really like meat and that I don't want to eat any more poor animals. It's been almost a year and I haven't eaten meat (not even fish or sauce with meat in it) and I don't miss it at all.
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang ( : View Post
    Not to me. One day when I was 12 I decided that I don't really like meat and that I don't want to eat any more poor animals. It's been almost a year and I haven't eaten meat (not even fish or sauce with meat in it) and I don't miss it at all.
    i dont know how u can do it it is a much healthier diet though, just that.... i got get satisfaction or actually, i dont get full without meat i need those chicken thighs, pork chops, angus burgers

I ALWAYS pack lunches for my brother since he for some reason, does not like eating out. He is also a health freak and likes to save money as well. I usually just cook some stir fry with a different variety of vegetables with seafood each time. I then include fruit and rice in a 3 portion lunch box for him. I feel sorry for him since there is not much I can make for him to pack so it is the same thing over and over again. Once on a full moon, he eats out with his co-workers but that is rare..
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

I pack rice & vegetables for my lunch everyday. I have a microwave in my office so I can heat the rice & eat whenever I feel hungry.

I pack 2 slices of toasts and a bag of mixed nuts. No more meat for lunch. Eating healthy becomes the main theme of my life.

I know that sandwiches are boring but they are still one of the easiest things to make. You can prepare everything the night before so you don't have to fuss around in the morning. Though a lot of people who do make their own sandwiches from home tend to just end up throwing it out because by lunch time, it doesn't look very appealing, but thats because they make the mistake of actually putting there sandwiches together before leaving the house so the bread is all soggy by the time lunchtime comes around.

But, I have a solution for that, first of all I suggest you buy yourself a lunch container that has little separate compartments (like a bento box). Then buy the ingredients that you like in your sandwich, myself I like ham, lettuce, cheese, tomato, beetroot and carrot. Cut up what you need and place them in the separate compartments, if your lunch container doesn't have enough compartments (mine has 4) group similar ingredients together eg. 1) lettuce, tomato & carrot, 2)ham 3) cheese 4) beetroot. And take your bread in a separate bag/container. then when its lunch time you just put it together as you would normally do. And then you have a non soggy, fresh, inexpensive sandwich.

It may sound like a lot more work then just putting it together from the start, but if you think about it, its actually the same but all you are doing is putting it into a lunch container as oppose to just slapping it together then and there.

I told this to a friend and she now swears by it, she use to buy a sandwich from the cafe for something like $8> a day!

Also, if you get sick of bread one week, buy tortilla wraps instead. And maybe change from ham, for turkey or roast beef, chicken ect....

Now if I don't feel like having sandwiches that particular week, I find Pasta is really easy to put together and take too. Normally on the weekend I just make a pot of bolognaise sauce, then I distibute it into plastic containers and freeze them. I just unfreeze a container each time I need one, so all you need to do is cook the pasta. Then you just re-heat it in the microwave.

okay I think I've babbled on too much but I hope that helps, though if you need any more suggestion, please ask, I have plenty...hmm maybe I should write a book!
    Jessica Hsuan + Louis Koo = Amazing Chemistry!

"มารอยู่ในจิต สวรรค์อยู่ในใจ"
    Life on Paper
    Thaitanium

The other week I was a little strapped for cash, and had to come up with inexpensive lunches for the week until Payday. I had a look in my pantry and fridge and well there really wasn't that much. Except for 2min noodles! Now I'm not talking about the Maggi 2 min noodle in a cup (which IMO, looks and smells disgusting), I'm talking about the asian 2 min noodles, my favourite is the MaMa brand, especially the thai pork noodle soup flavour, and if your anything like me, I always like to "add" other ingredients to it.

Anyhow, remember my lunch box idea, the one with the different compartments? Well using that same idea, the night before I cooked pork balls, & bok choi, which I put into 1 compartment, beanshoots & coriander into another, other "flavour" condiments into another and just a packet of the 2 mins noodles.

At lunch time, I put the noodle in a bowl and pored the hot water and condiment sachets in (as instructed on the packet), let it stand covered for 2mins, then I added the pork balls and bok choi, covered the bowl and heated it all in the microwave for an extra 2mins, then added the rest of the ingredients.

There you have it a cheap, quick and delicious lunch. Lets just say all my work collegues were like "OMG thats smells yum, where did you get that?"

Obviously you just pack whatever condiments and veggie's you like in your 2 mins noodles.

Life on Paper
    Thaitanium

Packing lunches are the way to go if you want to save a bit of money. I usually bring leftovers from dinner or sandwiches.

Thanks for the great tips, I have been religiously packing lunch to work for the past few weeks. Definitely taste much better than the food the nearby cafe has to offer. I've brought leftovers from dinner, easy to prepare cold pasta, sandwiches, Chinese dumplings, Japanese curry. So far I haven't run out of ideas yet, and it's saving me quite a bit of money

I've tried eating instant noodles a couple of times, not a good idea, kinda messy cause of the soup since I eat at my desk, and I suck at drinking hot soup gracefully. The lack of ingredients also make it rather bland. And I get weird looks when I have instant noodles at my desk too D:

Quote Originally Posted by beansprouts View Post
    Thanks for the great tips, I have been religiously packing lunch to work for the past few weeks. Definitely taste much better than the food the nearby cafe has to offer. I've brought leftovers from dinner, easy to prepare cold pasta, sandwiches, Chinese dumplings, Japanese curry. So far I haven't run out of ideas yet, and it's saving me quite a bit of money

I've tried eating instant noodles a couple of times, not a good idea, kinda messy cause of the soup since I eat at my desk, and I suck at drinking hot soup gracefully. The lack of ingredients also make it rather bland. And I get weird looks when I have instant noodles at my desk too D:
    Can I ask are most of your work mates asian or Caucasian? I'm only asking cas most of mine are caucasian and whenever I eat 2min noodles someone always comments on how good it looks, they actually don't know its 2 mins noodles cas there version of 2min noodles is the Maggi in a cup chicken flavour noodles which neither looks or smells appealing. You know I even brought in congee sometimes, both the plain one and the chicken flavoured one, my caucasian work mate thought I was being gourmet! Lol What they didn't know was I was particulary poor that week.

Last year, I planned to go on a holiday (thailand & HK) where I knew I was gonna do some serious spending (shopping of course!) so I had to re-budget my expenses and I found that I was spending way too much on lunches. That was when I came up with a new budget of $10 for the week (for mon-thurs, Fridays was the one day where I went out to lunch). I know it doesn't sound like much but if you plan well, it can actually work. I found I saved so much money. Lets just say I had a wonderful holiday (well apart from getting stuck in Thailand with all the airport hold-up), and I went shopping everyday

Life on Paper
    Thaitanium

^ My colleagues are a good mix of Asian and Caucasians, but I sit in an area mainly occupied by Asians, so yep they equate instant noodles = bad lunch.

Hmm... congee for lunch, haven't tried that yet, maybe I'll cook some for this week, sounds like a good lunch. My congee is usually packed with lotsa goodies