Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying thread

Default Flying thread

Thought I will create a thread for plane rides and queries.

So my first query: I booked a ticket that gave me very little time during the stopover at LAX. Since I am going from International flight to domestic on different planes, what sort of procedures must I go through? If I don't make the flight, will my airline allow me to get on their next one? Will they wait for us, if the first flight is delayed. I booked the ticket online.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Run as fast as you can to your domestic flight check-in, if the domestic flight left you, you can always buy another ticket, but there will be no refund for your missed flight.

If you're not familiar with the airport, you should give a longer time between your connecting flight. Most of the time International terminal is on another place separated with the Domestic terminal. So you need to be fast. Another problem is you need to make passport clearance etc. I'm not sure about that, if you need to do that directly after you arrived for your International flight or at your final destination.
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 02-09-09 at 09:23 AM.

I booked a ticket that gave me very little time during the stopover at LAX. Since I am going from International flight to domestic on different planes, what sort of procedures must I go through?
    You mean you're flying in from out of the country into LA, then flying to another American city? I'd say it's good to have at least 2 hours at LAX, because you need to go through custom, immigration, and extra security, and those can take up to 1 hour I believe. Then you need to get to your plane. Some airports require you to check in at least 1 hour before.

How much time do you have at LAX?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Me Global Sapien. Quest: Take pictures of Spiderman

I don't know how LAX works but I think most American airports work wayyyyy too slowly. Anyway like PJ already mentioned, it might be wise to schedule your flights with a minimum of 1hr 15min to 2 hours' transit time.

If your international flight lands late, contact relevant ground staff as soon as you can so you don't waste time panicking. You will also have less of a problem if you are taking the same airlines or airlines in an 'aliiance company' because the baggage would probably be tagged to fly to the final destination. If you have to re-checkIN the luggage.....it will take way too much time.

Airlines usually wait for the passengers for a reasonable amount of time...in my experience, not more than 15-20min. If you are already in the terminal and running like hell, they would wait. Don't worry, they won't fly off with your luggage. If you don't show up, the airlines will offload your belongings.

I think buying from international airlines are better, at least u get some sort of refund. When you buy tickets from budget airlines, chances are, they swallow whatever you paid.

Hope this helps.
    Your panties are on too tight.

I think LAX is one of those airports with separate buildings for domestic & int'l flights.

If you're flying in from other country into LA, then you'll have to do immigration, get your baggage because you need to go through custom and then go to domestic counter to recheck-in again (the baggage & maybe get the boarding pass).

I usually give at least 2 hrs for transit....specially if I know I'm flying from/to busy airports like LAX. 2 hrs seems long, but you'll be on the move the whole time....

how much time are you really talking about here? but i agree with the other posts, you need at least 2 hours in between. one time i've actually told the flight attendants on the plane that since we had a delay from the start will i miss my flight? and she said that since they had a delay the airport knows and that they should wait for us. but i am not sure if this is true for all flights. i had planned it so that we had a good 2 hours to get from one flight to the other, and our plane was only delayed for about 25 minutes, so i actually made it in time.

depends on which day you're flying in. the domestic security/check-in process in LAX can take anywhere from 10 min on weekdays to 2+ hrs on big holidays. It also depends on which airline you have. the the international company the same as the domestic company? otherwise, you might have to go through the problem of rechecking in you luggage and that will require extra time.

as PJ said, customs & immigration would likely take the most of your time.

and also whether or not you look like a terrorist
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 02-09-09 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post

and also whether or not you look like a terrorist
    judging by his avatar, yittzie is gonna have a big problem. yittz, maybe you should keep the make up to a minimum that day?

Thanks everyone! Now I am really panicking and think I should change my ticket. Annoyed that I listened to someone else's opinion and put it above my own intuition.

This is how screwed up I am: From Syd to NY, I stop at LAX for 1 hr 15min. From NY back to Syd, I stop at LAX for 45min. I don't what I was smoking at that time to think 45min is sufficient. All United Airlines.

So to clarify: I don't need to recheckin my check in luggage if I am with same int/dom airline? Or do I still need to go through customs with all my luggage as I am entering a country. By the sounds of it, it's like I have to do everything as I did checkin at sydney + baggage inspection?
    If there are enough stupid people that booked the same itenenary as me, would the next plane wait?
    Will the airline allow me to get on the next flight to NY, if I miss my one?
    The terminals are 6 and 7. So the whole process above is all done in one terminal? According to LAX map, only United uses terminal 7.

Why did they let me book flights so close together? The agent told me, if it's possible to book it, it's possible to change successfully in that time.

Thanks all.

Not enough time at LAX for you.

The immigration and custom at LAX is one of the worst in USA.
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    From NY back to Syd, I stop at LAX for 45min.
    OK, that's better since you'd be leaving the country rather than coming in, and leaving takes less time. 45 min is still stretching it, but if you don't waste any time, you might make it.

So to clarify: I don't need to recheckin my check in luggage if I am with same int/dom airline?
    Correct. Most of the overhead (immigration, extra security, etc) don't apply if you're leaving the country, which is the case with this stopover.

I'm a little concerned about this:

From Syd to NY, I stop at LAX for 1 hr 15min
    You have to go through immigration at LAX b/c that is your entry point in the US. If anything of yours gets checked (such as your bags), you might have trouble making it in that small of a time window.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

I will be flying in to Stanstead, London this May, and I still not buy my connecting flight. Usually I enjoy myself first at the airport and only buy ticket when I arrive at the airport. Yeah so strange LOL. Anyway I'm going to Edinburgh, and there are many flights in one day to go there.

So to clarify: I don't need to recheckin my check in luggage if I am with same int/dom airline? Or do I still need to go through customs with all my luggage as I am entering a country. By the sounds of it, it's like I have to do everything as I did checkin at sydney + baggage inspection?
    call United and ask if they will automatically connect your luggage. i'm not exactly sure how long immigration will take since it depends on how many people are at the airport. what day are you flying in?

who booked the flight for you anyways? united?

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post

You have to go through immigration at LAX b/c that is your entry point in the US. If anything of yours gets checked (such as your bags), you might have trouble making it in that small of a time window.
    What day of the week are you flying? That makes a huge difference!!!!

Almost always, you need 1.5 to 2 hrs.
    Hatred is a curve blade. The harm we do to others, we also do to ourselves.

i tell you, some ppl argue for the sake of arguing.

I will be in LAX on both Saturdays. So weekends worse I gatther? I am seriously considering changing the ticket.

I booked it on STAtravel, online. Has anyone flown with blue ticket before? Did you just show them the passport?

Me Global Sapien. Quest: Take pictures of Spiderman

I think USA introduced this new ETAS thing too right? If you are going on a visa-waiver, you have to go online and register yourself at the site. If I am not wrong it is a one time thing, once the US Immigration or Homeland Security or whatnots have you registered, would be hassle-free next time.

Geez, going to the US is such a b1tch. So remember to register yourself, Yittz. I can't answer your blue ticket question...what's that? If you can change your ticket without a penalty, change it. LAX is so.....messy. The queues are crazy.

Also, remember to pack all hand-carry liquids in a Ziploc bag....Just don't pack weird, kinky stuff in your luggage! Will save alot of time if your transit time is so short!
    Your panties are on too tight.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by cheek View Post
    Just don't pack weird, kinky stuff in your luggage! Will save alot of time if your transit time is so short!
    yeah yittz, especially your Joker make-up (j/k)

I called United, they said at least 2hrs. But they will allow me to get on the next available flight if I approach customer relations. Thanks all for you help.

When you are travelling alone, do you ever try to strike a conversation with the person next to you? I don't think I can stand talking to no one for 10hrs.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

When you are travelling alone, do you ever try to strike a conversation with the person next to you? I don't think I can stand talking to no one for 10hrs.
    LOL yeah, you should. But you have to be able to *read* people. Just in case he/she doesn't like to have a conversation and prefer to be alone . You can always read a novel or watch the in-flight movies. I usually use the long travel time to finish my un-finish novel

No. As far as possible, I try to get a seat with no one else next to me. I don't do small talk well. I'd rather sleep or read, or listen to music or watch a movie.
    玉木宏

blog