Thread: Social Classes and Order of Wuxia Fictions / Chinese Feudal System

Default Social Classes and Order of Wuxia Fictions / Chinese Feudal System

Having start my own wuxia fiction in the fiction room, I came upon the problem of writing with use of social class in it. I tried to do some research on it, but came up pretty much with the same information I already knew.

although Chinese switch dynasties one another, i know that their social order is not much different right?

Anyway, what i want to know is two main thing. One is the general social class structure of a dynasty, such as the common people to the people living in the palace. Two, is the structure of power within the political government, staring from the emperor down.

some of these pages I found were somehow helpful, but not what i was really looking for. I was hopping for some more like a list, like the one in this image. http://www.sasked.gov.sk.ca/docs/mid...ges/feudal.gif I think it would be much more helpful for any wuxia writers.

This is what i have so far, but correct me if I'm wrong:

The General Classification

The Noble Class on top:
    Emperor (King - 王) : highest w/ the supreme authority
    Dukes (諸侯) i think these are kings appointed by the emperors to overseer a certain amount of land
    Great men (大夫): i think they are referring to the enuch, prime ministers, general, law enforcers, etc
    Scholars/Gentry (士): people who own lands

Commoners (庶民) Class in the middle:
    Farmers / Artisans : those who produce foods and important products for the empire
    Merchants: they do not produce anything
    Soldiers: sometimes ranked even lower because of their perceived expedibility (to think that they giving their lives to the country! T_T)
    Slaves (奴隸)

The Palace Classification (Now I'm very stump at this one. Please help me out!)

Emperor - supreme authority
    Duke? - not sure about this one
    Crowned Prince
    Princess
    Prime Minister
    Chief General
    2nd in Command General, 3rd, etc.
    Empress?
    Dowager?
    Concubines
    Eunuch?
    Lady in Waiting?
    Palace Maids
    Palace Guards

Okay, so the above are just random status I find from random wuxia novels and dramas. I also know that sometimes, the status of these people can gain more power than the other. for example, an eunuch who is very close to the emperor can gain more power than the general himself. i think everyone know what i mean here.

Therefore, I listed them in the order that i think would be their status. Please help me out by adding your own or correct me. Also, if you like, please provide the info of the status like what they do, their purpose, or why they are at that status in the social class. I hope to make a useful thread to help writers and readers alike.

here are a few places where i found my sources:
    1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_class#Chinese
    2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_occupations
    Last edited by Xiaoqain14; 01-20-09 at 12:11 AM.
    "The true value of a human being can be found in the degree to which he has attained liberation form the self." - Albert Einstein

Currently Writing: Lotus in the Wind
    Dragon, Phoenix, and Flower

It would help us by telling us the era in which your story is being set.

The actual aristocracy is different with the different dynasty.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Now that we have the similar threads feature, you can see I had posted a similar thread about the fedual system.

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=14837
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    It would help us by telling us the era in which your story is being set.

The actual aristocracy is different with the different dynasty.

Han Solo
    i was thinking on a more general term. but if you need many with the most common dynasties: ming, han, song, and tang
    Last edited by Xiaoqain14; 01-20-09 at 07:23 AM.
    "The true value of a human being can be found in the degree to which he has attained liberation form the self." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Now that we have the similar threads feature, you can see I had posted a similar thread about the fedual system.

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=14837
    thank you. that was the thread i was looking for, lol. thanks again. do you mind if i use to as another reference and add to what we already have in this one? that way i can maybe incorate it into a list and make it easier to distinguish.
    Last edited by Xiaoqain14; 01-20-09 at 07:25 AM.