Thread: Jakarta, Indonesia

Default Jakarta, Indonesia

With the economy the way it is, my trip to Malaysia has been postponed until further notice. That sucks cause I was looking forward to it too. But as a consolation prize, I'm going to Jakarta for 2 weeks in mid-February.

New place, new country, new research!

A read up a little on Jakarta and it doesn't seems like a place I want to go. Have anyone ever been? What was your experience like?
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

Jakarta is a very crowded city, be prepared to get stuck in traffic jam at anytime of the day (specially during rush hours).

There's nothing much to see in the city itself:
    1.There's a big, new mall pretty much within one block/across of each other. Whatever expensive brand you're looking for, you can find it on the higher end malls.
    2.If you like to go shop for electronic stuff, go to Glodok...there you can find cheaper than normal price (but you have to bargain really well).
    3.Food is really amazing...you can find any kind of food there. Even the street vendors have good & cheap food (at least for the locals).
    4. Museums? I can't recommend one though, since I don't like museums.
    5. Night life is good from I heard. They have all kind of nice & trendy bars/night clubs.

If you have time, you can go visit Puncak (it's on the mountain, 2 hour-ish from Jkt). It's kind of a place where Jakarta people go to on the weekend to stay on the villas. Cooler weather up there. You can have tea walk on the tea garden/farm (is that what you call it?).

Somewhere between Jakarta & Puncak, you can visit Taman Mini Indonesia Indah. That place has all different traditional houses, music insturements, clothing, etc etc from all provinces in Indonesia. You can also get in the cable car above the lake and you can see the miniature islands of Indonesian's archipelago.

Closer to Puncak, in a city called Bogor, you can visit Kebun Raya Bogor (Bogor Botanical Garden). A big, old garden famous with it's Raffles flower (the stinky flower, what do you call it? Corpse flower?). I don't know if you can see it anytime or just at certain time when it's in full bloom.

From Puncak you can go to Bandung. Bandung have a stretch of street full of outlet stores (clothing, shoes, etc). Very cheap, I heard. Try the Sundanese food too.

I can't help much since my memory of Jakarta is not as good as before. I would also suggest, be careful there. Hold on your wallet/purse/bag really well when you're walking around.