Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TVB Wuxia 2000's vs TVB Wuxia 90's

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Yes. 1970s TVB wuxia was as Gu Long-dominated as the 1980s were Jin Yong-dominated. Only two Jin Yong adaptations were done by TVB during the 1970s: BOOK & SWORD - GRATITUDE & REVENGE (1976) and HEAVEN SWORD AND DRAGON SABRE (1978), both of which had more or less the same cast members.

But it was the Gu Long novels that became all the rage for TVB adaptations during the 1970s: LUK SIU FUNG, SENTIMENTAL SWORDSMAN RUTHLESS SWORD, CHOR LAU HEUNG, FULL MOON CURVED SABRE, SIU 11 LONG, ONE SWORD OVER THE NINE PROVINCES, THE SWORD AND THE EXQUISITENESS...even relatively minor stuff like SEPARATION HOOK got adapted by TVB during the 1970s.

Then, as soon as the 1980s hit, the pendulum swung entirely in favor of Jin Yong.
    Wow, the 70's was definitely dominated by Gu Long. Out of all the 1970s, I've only watched Luk Siu Fong 1-3, Full Moon Curved Sabre, and Chor Lau Heung. I have quite fond memories of Chor Lau Heung with Adam Cheng. The whole series had a really nice *eery mystery* vibe to it. I used to have a crush on Yong Yong

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.spcnet.tv/tvb/chor79/chor5.jpg')

Is Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre 1978 any good? I was planning to pick it up. I have all the HSDS adaptations (china, tvb 2000, taiwan, tvb 1986) except for the 78 one.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Yes, I, too, like to give all wuxia a chance without being completely bias. If I see something good and it manages to give me a deep impression, I will give it postive remark.

Personally, I would say TVB's good wuxia serials are from 80s to 1997. After 1997, the decent ones are slim pickings on the really, really good ones. I can't speak for the 70s because I haven't seen much of the 70s work. [Notice how I'm not out to bash other eras.]
    Yup, being open-minded and giving wuxia series a chance without having any bias is very good. You get to enjoy a lot of series that way (more variety too). For me personally, after DGSD 97 and SOD 96, everything went downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganryu View Post
    Wow, the 70's was definitely dominated by Gu Long. Out of all the 1970s, I've only watched Luk Siu Fong 1-3, Full Moon Curved Sabre, and Chor Lau Heung. I have quite fond memories of Chor Lau Heung with Adam Cheng. The whole series had a really nice *eery mystery* vibe to it. I used to have a crush on Yong Yong

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.spcnet.tv/tvb/chor79/chor5.jpg')
    You need to watch THE ROMANTIC SWORDSMAN (a.k.a. SENTIMENTAL SWORDSMAN RUTHLESS SWORD) to finish the cream of 1970s TVB Gu Long adaptations.

Is Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre 1978 any good? I was planning to pick it up. I have all the HSDS adaptations (china, tvb 2000, taiwan, tvb 1986) except for the 78 one.
    I felt it wasn't quite as good as the 1980s version. TVB didn't quite have its act together as far as Jin Yong was concerned during the 1970s. It did much better with Jin Yong in the 1980s.

Yup, being open-minded and giving wuxia series a chance without having any bias is very good. You get to enjoy a lot of series that way (more variety too). For me personally, after DGSD 97 and SOD 96, everything went downhill.
    For me, I like wuxia so I continue on hoping and searching for some good new wuxia to stay glue to the tube watching it.

I think TVB has lost the concept of what makes wuxia what it is. Like MysticDust said, theres lots of false alarms. I thought The Four would be good, but the ending and the choice of female actresses and stuff just didn't hold up well.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

As usual, there's no love for *1970s* TVB wuxia.

I must be the only member of this forum who likes that REALLY old school, no-tech stuff.
    They are not available. I am unable to find them. Anyway, I have been watching many clips of Adam Cheng's old series. I am pretty sure I will love those series if they are released in DVD. The theme songs and sub theme songs are so so good. I also like the slow hand fight and costumes in those series. They are so appropriate. I hope TVB/TaiSeng will release them in viet DVD. Will definitely get them.

Wow, another hardcore wuxia watcher. You are right, referencing YG and XLN is a huge no-no. So with all the series you watched, what are your top 5 of the 90's for wuxia and fantasy?

Agreed. I actually might put it very near the top for wuxia series in the 2000's. But it's mainland, not TVB. TVB series in the 2000's are kind of bleh.

I like the 90's because it's no-nonsense, serious, pure wuxia. The 90's series are also usually more darker and grittier than both the 80's and the 2000's I find. I usually prefer the more serious "non-fluff" series in general. I like serious plots. But in terms of acting, I might have to agree with you that 80's is very strong.

The CYF version butchered the storyline. You actually like CYF in an ancient serial? And I can't believe you don't like SOD 96. It's the greatest wuxia adaptation ever in my opinion.

DGSD 82 also butchered the storyline especially in the second half. I agree with you that LOCH 82 is the best LOCH ever. But I like LOCH 94 because it's faithful to the novel. Plus they actually got a *real* indian guy to play 1Deng's friend-translator

ROCH 95 vs ROCH 83 is a tricky one. I really enjoy ROCH 95 being a no-nonsense, no-fluff faithful adaptation. Plus Louis Koo did a fine job. But the ROCH 83 had Andy Lau and had the strong secondary cast that was in LOCH 83. So I might put them about equal.

In general, i think the 80's had really strong acting. I usually love the cast, especially in LOCH 82!! One of the best supporting cast ever in a serial. But overall i think the 90's had stronger plot and storylines. So I give the edge to the 90's.
    Wait, we are all talking about TVB right?? I was going to say that LOCH 2003 from China was one of the best adaptions ever... It was so accurate....

Anyways, I love the 80s overall the most too. However, I am not going to go off saying that every series was good.... The DGSD 82 had the best cast in my opinion, but the storyline was really butchered towards the end. The 90s version had a good cast, but not as strong as the 80s cast. However, the storyline towards the 2nd half was way more accurate.

I agree that I think the 80s had a strong cast, while the 90s were stronger in terms of the storylines.

I watched some 70s adaptions too, but they were too slow for my taste.. Gosh, the Romantic Swordsman(Xiao Li Fei Dao) was a BIG joke to me.The Taiwan version of XLFD from the 80s(I think it was from the 80s) was a lot better. My mom and I were laughing so hard at the 70s version from TVB... No offense to anyone who loves it. The 70s CLH was pretty good though. THe Book and Sword from the 70s was ok. The God of Sabre was also pretty good.

I would not say that no one likes the 70s. It is just that they are really old and most are not really available now. ALso, many of the members here were too young including me(I was born in 1979) to really enjoy them until later.BUt I was fortunate enough to see some of them...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    They are not available. I am unable to find them.
    A number of them were available in VCD format earlier this decade, but they might be out of circulation now. There should be copies floating around from existing stock, however.

So far, TVB has *not* done much for their 1970s series on DVD format.

You need to watch THE ROMANTIC SWORDSMAN (a.k.a. SENTIMENTAL SWORDSMAN RUTHLESS SWORD) to finish the cream of 1970s TVB Gu Long adaptations.

I felt it wasn't quite as good as the 1980s version. TVB didn't quite have its act together as far as Jin Yong was concerned during the 1970s. It did much better with Jin Yong in the 1980s.
    I seen the 90's version of it. If i have the chance i'll def check the 70's version. Hopefully they have a dvd or vcd release of it somewhere.

The 1980s version is the best HSDS adaptation by far. But I'm a sucker for the HSDS story so I prob just pick up the 70s version for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    For me, I like wuxia so I continue on hoping and searching for some good new wuxia to stay glue to the tube watching it.

I think TVB has lost the concept of what makes wuxia what it is. Like MysticDust said, theres lots of false alarms. I thought The Four would be good, but the ending and the choice of female actresses and stuff just didn't hold up well.
    Yes, totally agreed. TVB has lost the concept. They need to go back to wuxia basics 101 seriously. I picked up The Four last week on DVD. I am *hoping* it will end up to be at least TOB/LWOLAP level.

I seen the 90's version of it. If i have the chance i'll def check the 70's version. Hopefully they have a dvd or vcd release of it somewhere.
    THE ROMANTIC SWORDSMAN was released in VCD format four or five years ago. I don't know if it's still currently on the market, however.

The 1980s version is the best HSDS adaptation by far. But I'm a sucker for the HSDS story so I prob just pick up the 70s version for fun.
    HSDS '78 famously used the 1 Ed. (I think) ending from the novel. You have to brace yourself for the ending of this version because
    click to show/hide spoilers
    Chiu Mun dies.

Oh yea, I saw the 70s version of HSDS too. It was ok, but yea one of the elements of the ending was really "out of the blue" for me....
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    They are not available. I am unable to find them. Anyway, I have been watching many clips of Adam Cheng's old series. I am pretty sure I will love those series if they are released in DVD. The theme songs and sub theme songs are so so good. I also like the slow hand fight and costumes in those series. They are so appropriate. I hope TVB/TaiSeng will release them in viet DVD. Will definitely get them.
    You should check out Adam Cheng's Chor Lau Heung. It's a classic. I think it was my entry into the amazing world of wuxia adaptations. It's a really long series though. The new adventures of chor lau heung in the 80's with miu kiu wai is also a good series.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    Wait, we are all talking about TVB right?? I was going to say that LOCH 2003 from China was one of the best adaptions ever... It was so accurate....
    Yeah only talking about TVB here.

TVB used to be the King of Wuxia. but alas...

Anyways, I love the 80s overall the most too. However, I am not going to go off saying that every series was good.... The DGSD 82 had the best cast in my opinion, but the storyline was really butchered towards the end. The 90s version had a good cast, but not as strong as the 80s cast. However, the storyline towards the 2nd half was way more accurate.

I agree that I think the 80s had a strong cast, while the 90s were stronger in terms of the storylines.
    That's pretty much how i see it for most of the JY series. 80's had strong acting and cast but 90's had strong storylines. So 80's vs 90's TVB is a pretty good matchup. I give the edge to the 90's because I prefer better storylines a bit more.

The 70s CLH was pretty good though. THe Book and Sword from the 70s was ok. The God of Sabre was also pretty good.
    I really love the 70s CLH, it's pure nostaglia for me as I grew up watching it. God of Sabre was pretty good, it was much more accurate to the novel than Against the Blade of Honor. But I have to admit that I liked Against the Blade of Honor because it was pretty dark and gritty and the non-vocal theme music was really good.

HSDS '78 famously used the 1 Ed. (I think) ending from the novel. You have to brace yourself for the ending of this version because
    Wow and interesting. That's all i have to say.
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 01-28-09 at 03:06 AM.

what after 1997 and it sucked? what about duke of mount deer 98 with jordan chan. thats my all time fav series and the best wuxia series out there!
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    what after 1997 and it sucked? what about duke of mount deer 98 with jordan chan. thats my all time fav series and the best wuxia series out there!
    I haven't seen it, but you think its better than the 80s one with Andy and Tony?
    BTW, State of Divinity 96 is the best wuxia series out there!

I haven't seen it, but you think its better than the 80s one with Andy and Tony?
    BTW, State of Divinity 96 is the best wuxia series out there!
    yes it was better than andy and tony but i do have a bias agains the 80s, i hate most of the 80s/70s

SOD 96 was pretty good. jacky lui was good, but i didnt like the main female lead fiona somthing

yes it was better than andy and tony but i do have a bias agains the 80s, i hate most of the 80s/70s

SOD 96 was pretty good. jacky lui was good, but i didnt like the main female lead fiona somthing
    I love the 80's version because Andy and Tony are such great actors and the two of them play off each other soooo well!

What's wrong with Fiona? Who do you think is the best RYY?

I love the 80's version because Andy and Tony are such great actors and the two of them play off each other soooo well!

What's wrong with Fiona? Who do you think is the best RYY?
    i saw andy as an average actor back then (dont kill me ), tony was outstanding though.

thats the SOD version ive seen, but i just dont like her

I love the 80s DOMD the most. Tony and Andy were just great!! I also see a pattern too... It seems like people that were a kid in the 70s liked the 70s, the people who were kids in the 80s(like me) liked the 80s and the people who were kids in the 90s liked the 90s the best. I think besides it being good entertainment and all, they are also memories of our childhood. That is one of the main reasons the 80s means so much to me. However, that does not mean that I am not going to give the 70s, 90s and 2000s any credit and get all bias and say that EVERY 80s series is good....

i saw andy as an average actor back then (dont kill me ), tony was outstanding though.

thats the SOD version ive seen, but i just dont like her
    I thought andy played the emperor really well and tony was awesome as wai siu bo. And whenever i think of RYY, Fiona always comes to my mind. I even like her hair-do in the series

I love the 80s DOMD the most. Tony and Andy were just great!! I also see a pattern too... It seems like people that were a kid in the 70s liked the 70s, the people who were kids in the 80s(like me) liked the 80s and the people who were kids in the 90s liked the 90s the best. I think besides it being good entertainment and all, they are also memories of our childhood. That is one of the main reasons the 80s means so much to me. However, that does not mean that I am not going to give the 70s, 90s and 2000s any credit and get all bias and say that EVERY 80s series is good....
    You have a very good point. But i grew up in the 80's but i still prefer the 90's
    But gotta give credit where credit is due, the 80's had very strong acting. The personalities of the actors who portrayed the characters kept you glued to the screen.

I thought andy played the emperor really well and tony was awesome as wai siu bo. And whenever i think of RYY, Fiona always comes to my mind. I even like her hair-do in the series

You have a very good point. But i grew up in the 80's but i still prefer the 90's
    But gotta give credit where credit is due, the 80's had very strong acting. The personalities of the actors who portrayed the characters kept you glued to the screen.
    I know that it isn't always like that... I was just talking in general, that is how it seems. THe 80s had very good acting and casts, while the 90s had better adaptions and storylines(for the JY novels anyway).

I was a child during parts of both the 1970s and 1980s, and I like the adaptations of both eras, but the two periods were very different in their approaches to making wuxia drama. During the 1970s, SFX was practically nonexistent. Therefore, choreography of martial arts action motion was at a premium...as was acting. Nobody could get by on mindboggling SFX or grandiose costuming/settings, so the martial arts action and the quality of acting needed to really carry the drama.

By the 1980s, the first-generation SFX was in place and TVB's resources were greater. Acting was still placed at a high premium, but with the advent of wirefu and CGI, the old-school wuxia choreography was no longer the most important element. The 1980s were a transitional period. In the first half of the decade, traditional wuxia choreography was still a very important aspect of production, but the later in the decade a series was made, the less emphasis was placed on choreography.

If you look at DGSD '81 (early 1980s) and compare it to HSDS '86 (late 1980s), you'll notice a definite difference in styles.

Wuxia series in the 80's are generally better because the actors and the fighting are better. The costumes, makeups, and scenery aren't as good comparing to series made in the 90's and 2000's.

a few classic scenes:

- LOCH - Hong Qigong vs Huang Yaoshi
    - DGSD - Leung Kar Yan
    - Chor Lau Heung - Michael Miu and Austin Wai