Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TVB Wuxia 2000's vs TVB Wuxia 90's

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    THE ROMANTIC SWORDSMAN was released in VCD format four or five years ago. I don't know if it's still currently on the market, however.

HSDS '78 famously used the 1 Ed. (I think) ending from the novel. You have to brace yourself for the ending of this version because
    click to show/hide spoilers
    Chiu Mun dies.
    did she really? I remeber that ZWJ saw a shawow of hers so the ending is left to interpetation... and u know how wuxia is, you NEVER die when u fall off a cliff.. you NEVER..... and she coudl have also learned some kick arse kung fu.
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

I still need to watch the original Luk Siu Fung. I'm waiting for the uncut DVD. I dun think I'll like the slow motion fighting, but the characters look so damn cool.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    I still need to watch the original Luk Siu Fung. I'm waiting for the uncut DVD. I dun think I'll like the slow motion fighting, but the characters look so damn cool.
    They have the VCD versions out but I guess it's edited. Yes one thing about the 70's is that the fighting is really slow-mo. It makes "Simon the Snow Blower" less intimidating. I like the weapon fight scenes in God of Sabre though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganryu View Post
    They have the VCD versions out but I guess it's edited.
    Not so much. The 1970s LUK SIU FUNG series was relatively short (none of the three parts spanned more than ten episodes, I think), so TVB left it mostly intact. Ninety-percent of the original series was there.

Yes one thing about the 70's is that the fighting is really slow-mo. It makes "Simon the Snow Blower" less intimidating.
    On the contrary, both Sai Mun Chui Sheut and Yip Goo Sing in the 1970s series were very intimidating. Credit that to the fine acting skills of Wong Yeun Sun and Adam Cheng.

Wong Yeun Sun had some great moves. His action scenes as Sai Mun Chui Sheut worked really well.

Not so much. The 1970s LUK SIU FUNG series was relatively short (none of the three parts spanned more than ten episodes, I think), so TVB left it mostly intact. Ninety-percent of the original series was there.

On the contrary, both Sai Mun Chui Sheut and Yip Goo Sing in the 1970s series were very intimidating. Credit that to the fine acting skills of Wong Yeun Sun and Adam Cheng.

Wong Yeun Sun had some great moves. His action scenes as Sai Mun Chui Sheut worked really well.
    Both actors portrayed them really well. It was just the fight scenes were rather slow (since they were made in the 70's), but the acting more than makes up for it.
    I personally haven't seen that many 70's series so probably i wasn't used to the fight scenes in the 70's. Probably the more i watch the more i warm up to it.

Glad to hear the LSF was left intact. When I watched the VCDs I didn't really notice any editing. I never saw LSF before so wasn't sure if it was edited a lot or not.

Both actors portrayed them really well. It was just the fight scenes were rather slow (since they were made in the 70's), but the acting more than makes up for it.
    Not only were the strokes themselves slow (by modern standards), but one of the most popular "SFX" techniques of 1970s TVB wuxia was to use slow-motion camera. The slow-mo heightened the drama and tension of the fight sequences. Some of the moves, I think, were deliberately choreographed to look good in slow motion (whereas they would probably look silly at normal speed).

Not only were the strokes themselves slow (by modern standards), but one of the most popular "SFX" techniques of 1970s TVB wuxia was to use slow-motion camera. The slow-mo heightened the drama and tension of the fight sequences. Some of the moves, I think, were deliberately choreographed to look good in slow motion (whereas they would probably look silly at normal speed).
    So I guess it was just the style back then to film the fight scenes that way.

I really liked the fight scenes in God of Sabre. I thought they did that well, even by modern standards. It gave the impression that Ding Pang with his moon sabre was extremely fast and not to be messed with. Usually in a blink of an eye, the opponent is already dead.

So I guess it was just the style back then to film the fight scenes that way.

I really liked the fight scenes in God of Sabre. I thought they did that well, even by modern standards. It gave the impression that Ding Pang with his moon sabre was extremely fast and not to be messed with. Usually in a blink of an eye, the opponent is already dead.
    I loved the *sound effects* of 1970s TVB wuxia. Since CGI was nonexistent during the 1970s, TVB had to rely on *sound* to convey the power of these wuxia heroes. Whenever Lee Chum Foon threw his deadly dagger, or Ding Pang unsheathed his mighty curved sabre, or Sai Mun Chui Sheut drew his sword, the sound effects conveyed the feeling of, "Whoa...this is awesome power here!"

Luk Siu Fung used slow-motion a lot, but the fighting was very well choreographed. The final duel between Ye Gucheng and Ximen was quite brutal and atmospheric, and the quality background music helps a lot. Some 70s series like Chor Lau Heung, One Sword and Luk Siu Fung, had better fighting that others like Romantic Swordsman and Heaven Sword Dragon Sabre - One Sword, in particular, had very high quality engagements. Not quite the strings and CGI of the 80s, the gymnastics and puffs of dust of the 90s or the fast camera angle switches of the 2000s, but they have a charm of their own.

The 2000s have not been a good decade for TVB wuxia at all. I just don't understand that since Jin Yong won't let TVB do his series anymore, why can't they do Gu Long? Luk Siu Fung, Sword and Exquisiteness, Romantic Swordsman, Bordertown Wanderer - these are quality stories just crying out to be redone, especially since some decent actors and actresses seem to be coming up in TVB these days. The Four and Face to Fate seem to be of a pretty high standard, I just wish there were more.

The 90s probably win purely because there are more to choose from - LOCH, ROCH, SOD, DGSD, White-haired Maiden, All About Tin (Why don't they release the VCD or DVD for this one?!!), and numerous others which I can't remember the English names of.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Luk Siu Fung used slow-motion a lot, but the fighting was very well choreographed. The final duel between Ye Gucheng and Ximen was quite brutal and atmospheric, and the quality background music helps a lot.
    That duel went on for eight continuous minutes, took place in three different venues - on the roof of the imperial palace, in the palace courtyard, and finally, in the imperial court itself...around the imperial throne (great symbolism there). The duel started out at normal speed (quite fast by the standards of the time) on the roof, but as soon as both swordsmen reached ground level, the slow-mo kicked in dramatically.

I always wondered what the background music used in the duel scene was. I call it "Sai Mun Chui Sheut's Theme," because throughout the LUK SIU FUNG series, the music was often played whenever Sai Mun Chui Sheut appeared (usually before he was about to kill someone). It didn't sound like something composed by Joseph Koo and recorded by his orchestra. It sounded like some incidental music taken out of a music library, and had a vaguely "Middle Eastern" vibe to it. It was cool, though, and was used to great effect in the LUK SIU FUNG series.

I loved the *sound effects* of 1970s TVB wuxia. Since CGI was nonexistent during the 1970s, TVB had to rely on *sound* to convey the power of these wuxia heroes. Whenever Lee Chum Foon threw his deadly dagger, or Ding Pang unsheathed his mighty curved sabre, or Sai Mun Chui Sheut drew his sword, the sound effects conveyed the feeling of, "Whoa...this is awesome power here!"
    Now that you mention it, I do remember the funky sound effects they used. They were pretty cool. Yeah without the CGI, TVB had to use 70's technology to help enhance the atmosphere. I think it still holds up today for the most part. It's definitely a nice breath of fresh air from the tvb cgi-dominated 2000's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Luk Siu Fung used slow-motion a lot, but the fighting was very well choreographed. The final duel between Ye Gucheng and Ximen was quite brutal and atmospheric, and the quality background music helps a lot. Some 70s series like Chor Lau Heung, One Sword and Luk Siu Fung, had better fighting that others like Romantic Swordsman and Heaven Sword Dragon Sabre - One Sword, in particular, had very high quality engagements. Not quite the strings and CGI of the 80s, the gymnastics and puffs of dust of the 90s or the fast camera angle switches of the 2000s, but they have a charm of their own.

The 2000s have not been a good decade for TVB wuxia at all. I just don't understand that since Jin Yong won't let TVB do his series anymore, why can't they do Gu Long? Luk Siu Fung, Sword and Exquisiteness, Romantic Swordsman, Bordertown Wanderer - these are quality stories just crying out to be redone, especially since some decent actors and actresses seem to be coming up in TVB these days. The Four and Face to Fate seem to be of a pretty high standard, I just wish there were more.

The 90s probably win purely because there are more to choose from - LOCH, ROCH, SOD, DGSD, White-haired Maiden, All About Tin (Why don't they release the VCD or DVD for this one?!!), and numerous others which I can't remember the English names of.
    Not only does the 90s win purely because there were more wuxia series, but the best of the 90s really outshine the best of the 00s. Well that's my opinion anyway. I did enjoy Face to Fate, Twin of Brothers, and Lethal Weapons of Love and Passion. I thought they were the peaks of 00s but I don't think they can compare with the best of the 90's. Part of the reason is due to the Jin Yong license. But another part is the way the series *feel*. The 00 wuxia series just *feels* much more brighter and simpler. Some of the "wuxia" feeling is lost. There's no "grit".

Not only does the 90s win purely because there were more wuxia series, but the best of the 90s really outshine the best of the 00s. Well that's my opinion anyway. I did enjoy Face to Fate, Twin of Brothers, and Lethal Weapons of Love and Passion. I thought they were the peaks of 00s but I don't think they can compare with the best of the 90's. Part of the reason is due to the Jin Yong license. But another part is the way the series *feel*. The 00 wuxia series just *feels* much more brighter and simpler. Some of the "wuxia" feeling is lost. There's no "grit".
    I also heard someone mention this same issue with TVB modern series. Since I haven't watched TVB series, ancient or modern, for many years now, I can't confirm that statement. But based on reviews and clips on youtube, it seems to me that the station's management team are aiming toward light hearted plotlines that are more family friendly, politically correct, and everyone's happy in the end. The 90s had some pretty awesome modern series. Greed of Man is at the top of my list .

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    I also heard someone mention this same issue with TVB modern series. Since I haven't watched TVB series, ancient or modern, for many years now, I can't confirm that statement. But based on reviews and clips on youtube, it seems to me that the station's management team are aiming toward light hearted plotlines that are more family friendly, politically correct, and everyone's happy in the end. The 90s had some pretty awesome modern series. Greed of Man is at the top of my list .
    I haven't seen many modern series. But for 2000's wuxia, it is indeed aimed towards light-hearted plotlines. Heck, even the background music and the visual filmography is light-hearted. It doesn't feel gritty or dangerous anymore. I remember in the 90's they used lot of great music especially in Against the Blade of Honor and Zu Mountain Saga. The music feels uninspired nowadays. It's toned-down family friendly bright music.

I really enjoy the 90's seires, or maybe it was just the artist back then. I remember watching some dark and gloomy series. such as Mystery of the Condor Heroes, Legend of the Condor, romantic swrordman, return of the condor, blade of honors, heartstrings, were all dark and gloomy.

I liked many of the bright happy ones from the 90s though. Mystery of the Twin Swords I and II began and ended very happy (the middle was gloomy for a bit though). Revelation of the Last hero was not dark and gloomy either.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

prefer 90 wuxia style today too much computer graphic, that it get annoy

Between 2000s and the 90s, I very much prefer the 90s because that was the decade I grew up in and I saw most of its series first before any other decades. Also, I liked the actors then better than now even though some are still acting today. I enjoy watch wuxia much more than I do with modern, and i feel like the wuxia series today just use too much graphic effects that everything just become even more fake even though I already know it's fake. I recently watched several episodes of HSDS 2003 just to see if it was good, and the fightings sucked. Actually I only got up to the part where ZWJ finally reunited with his Grandpa and his father's martial art brothers. The scenes where ZWJ fought with the Zhou Zhiruo's master and the monks and some others didn't eventertain me. Instead, I thought it was stupid because they drew up so much power and energy and flew so far away whenever they get hit, but no one spat any blood or acted like they were wounded. With such graphic, one would think they were hurt pretty bad. Perhaps it's the wrong place to talk about this, but it's things like that, that make me not appreciate series nowaday with some exceptions. I'd rather have them go back to the old ways of making those series and use more props with graphic effects to aid, not to take over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    Do you prefer the wuxia tv series in the 2000's or the ones in the 90's?

In terms of the filmography and how the series looks, i find the ones in the 2000's look more bright. Everything looks so bright, clean and happy. When I watch the ones in the 90's, it looks more grittier and darker. Does anybody else see that?

Even the music seems like this. Take HSDS 2000 for an example. The whole series including the non-vocal music and filmography looks so bright and simple. When I watch the series i don't feel any danger for the protaganist because the series just FEELs so happy-happy. There's no gritty feeling to it.

I can't exactly put my finger on it (!!) , but it just seems like the series in the 2000's are very bright and simple while the ones in the 90's seem a more darker and grittier.

Does anybody else notice this?

In my opinion, TVB just don't make wuxia series the way they used to. I think China is taking over the wuxia crown (not to mention they have the license from Jin Yong).
    A bit off topic, but when and why did JY take that license away from TVB? I was wondering why the LOCH and ROCH didn't have remake for the 2000s. In my head, I thought it was like a generation thing where there's remake for each decade with the newer generation act in them.

Oh by the way, I noticed the lighting differences with the modern series. Sometimes I feel like it's too bright and just don't look as natural. I think it somewhat has to do with more advance cameras and equipments.

Quote Originally Posted by So Yen View Post
    A bit off topic, but when and why did JY take that license away from TVB?
    He absolutely *hated* HSDS '99/'00.

If you watched it, you'd probably hate it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    He absolutely *hated* HSDS '99/'00.

If you watched it, you'd probably hate it too.
    Because I haven't read any of his books, I don't know how well any of those series follow his original stories, but entertainment-wise, that version was more tolerable than the 2003 from China(?). And I guess there's a new one now? Gosh, I'm super behind with all of them.