Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: TVB Wuxia 2000's vs TVB Wuxia 90's

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    He absolutely *hated* HSDS '99/'00.

If you watched it, you'd probably hate it too.
    I quite liked HSDS 2000, but then it was more because of Gigi and Charmaine's performances. I'm surprised he got upset with HSDS 2000, but didn't get upset with Crimson Sabre (Xia Xueyi being alive), Flying Fox (too many changes to pinpoint), Linked Cities (extended Blood sabre subplot and Qi Fang's surviving for a bit longer) and worst of all, Xiakexing (Shi Zhongyu being a good guy). Or maybe just Crimson Sabre and Flying Fox as the other two were 80s productions, and almost all 80s productions took liberties with the plots, starting with good old Sweeper Monk being thrashed by Murong Bo in DGSD 81. I think HSDS 2000 was just the straw that broke the camel's back, and is taking way too much flak than it deserves. Jin Yong was said to have been delighted that Damian Lau was playing Zhang Cuishan.

HSDS 2003 wasn't TVB, but it was quite good. It wasn't great from a wuxia and martial arts point of view, but from a character development and interaction point of view it was very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I quite liked HSDS 2000, but then it was more because of Gigi and Charmaine's performances. I'm surprised he got upset with HSDS 2000, but didn't get upset with Crimson Sabre (Xia Xueyi being alive), Flying Fox (too many changes to pinpoint), Linked Cities (extended Blood sabre subplot and Qi Fang's surviving for a bit longer) and worst of all, Xiakexing (Shi Zhongyu being a good guy). Or maybe just Crimson Sabre and Flying Fox as the other two were 80s productions, and almost all 80s productions took liberties with the plots, starting with good old Sweeper Monk being thrashed by Murong Bo in DGSD 81. I think HSDS 2000 was just the straw that broke the camel's back, and is taking way too much flak than it deserves. Jin Yong was said to have been delighted that Damian Lau was playing Zhang Cuishan.

HSDS 2003 wasn't TVB, but it was quite good. It wasn't great from a wuxia and martial arts point of view, but from a character development and interaction point of view it was very nice.
    For all the modifications TVB introduced to their adaptations of Jin Yong's work during the 1980s, Jin Yong never had a bad thing to say about TVB during the 1980s. For years, he said that ROCH '83 was his favorite adaptation of any of his works (weird pick, I know).

Jin Yong was not as effusive about the 1990s adaptations, although he didn't criticize them.

Then HSDS '99/'00 is released, and Jin Yong washes his hands of TVB. If he'd disliked TVB's adaptations all along, he played it close to the vest until 2000.

Well, the 90s weren't all bad. LOCH 94, ROCH 95, SOD 96 and DGSD 97 were a bumper crop for TVB - those 4 years, with a production in each year, produced series of quality which were comparable (both sides have staunch fans, which is a good thing) to those of the Golden 80s (and in the case of SOD, completely blows the 80s version out of the water).

I just personally didn't think HSDS 2000 was as bad as Crimson Sabre or Flying Fox (which I didn't even watch after reading the reviews). Be interesting to hear if Jin Yong made any comments on those two, but it seems he didn't. Which part of HSDS was the killer? The fire-deviating skill from the tablets, the three wanderers instead of five, Gordon Liu's pantomime Cheng Kun?.. hmm, okay, so there are things I didn't like about it too.. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Well, the 90s weren't all bad. LOCH 94, ROCH 95, SOD 96 and DGSD 97 were a bumper crop for TVB - those 4 years, with a production in each year, produced series of quality which were comparable (both sides have staunch fans, which is a good thing) to those of the Golden 80s (and in the case of SOD, completely blows the 80s version out of the water).

I just personally didn't think HSDS 2000 was as bad as Crimson Sabre or Flying Fox (which I didn't even watch after reading the reviews). Be interesting to hear if Jin Yong made any comments on those two, but it seems he didn't. Which part of HSDS was the killer? The fire-deviating skill from the tablets, the three wanderers instead of five, Gordon Liu's pantomime Cheng Kun?.. hmm, okay, so there are things I didn't like about it too.. =)
    I think it probably jumped the shark for Jin Yong when *fortysomething* Lawrence Ng was cast as the teenaged/twentysomething Cheung Mo Gei.

anything made from the 80s to 1995 is the best, this is when computer cgi bs didnt mass flood our tv screens in every fight scene.

I use to remember they use alot of that shadow in wuxia series, but it wasnt overuse in many series, but the way it was use and when was perfect

I think it probably jumped the shark for Jin Yong when *fortysomething* Lawrence Ng was cast as the teenaged/twentysomething Cheung Mo Gei.
    u know whats funni after watching this series is the guy who starred as the young CMK also starred alongside lawrence ng in sex n zen 1 where he was force to give lawrence new horse stick a bj lmao

agreed! I never really understood the logic of that. I'd like to think it's due to Lawrence's height...but....the guy is just too old!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    Do you prefer the wuxia tv series in the 2000's or the ones in the 90's?

In terms of the filmography and how the series looks, i find the ones in the 2000's look more bright. Everything looks so bright, clean and happy. When I watch the ones in the 90's, it looks more grittier and darker. Does anybody else see that?

Even the music seems like this. Take HSDS 2000 for an example. The whole series including the non-vocal music and filmography looks so bright and simple. When I watch the series i don't feel any danger for the protaganist because the series just FEELs so happy-happy. There's no gritty feeling to it.

I can't exactly put my finger on it (!!) , but it just seems like the series in the 2000's are very bright and simple while the ones in the 90's seem a more darker and grittier.

Does anybody else notice this?

In my opinion, TVB just don't make wuxia series the way they used to. I think China is taking over the wuxia crown (not to mention they have the license from Jin Yong).
    Plot wise the 90's take it; as long as with costumes and hair.
    I think it's "grainy" is because the technology they had back then.. lol. I mean they didn't have 12mp cameras at the time. (Not that, that has anything to do with filming)
    I think it's the technology at the time. I love the older movies even though it's not "clear" it makes it more vintage I guess. Also, CGI affects give me head aches :P
    Always in search of great historical/costume dramas.
    Find me on MyDramaList ^_^

Out of the crop of '90s, I think SOD '96 was the best, DGSD '97, ROCH '95, LOCH '94, then (begrudgingly) HSDS '00 are the good ones.

The only thing I enjoyed about Crimson Sabre is Kong Wah's Xia Xueyi, heck I even liked Ekin Cheng's Golden Snake Lord - the rest of the story - not so much. To this day all I remember is Yuen Tsing Chi (Gordan Chan) and Nine Princess (Charmaine) stare at each other for 5 minute intervals with music playing in the background.

Flying Fox was a different matter - Felix Wong and Maggie Siu scenes were winners; Sonny was a good actor - but the plotlines, chiefly with Mui Yerk Lan (Charmaine) being raped was a bad rewrite of the story. Very questionable.

My theory of Jin Yong pulling the plug on TVB is more matter of economics - China pays more for the rights to air with bigger budget, real background scenery, and more actors (no more combining people). Simple.