Thread: What is preventing Asian singers from making it big in the US?

Default What is preventing Asian singers from making it big in the US?

Please list your reasons.

Language barrier for many.
    Cultural differences for some.
    Talent - just because you have a fan base in Asia does not mean you're necessarily talented enough (though the same can be said for many North American bands).
    Finding a good record albel who will present and promote you.
    Media coverage.
    Fan base over here.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

I'll add Lack of interest from the audience.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    Language barrier for many.
    Cultural differences for some.
    Talent - just because you have a fan base in Asia does not mean you're necessarily talented enough (though the same can be said for many North American bands).
    Finding a good record albel who will present and promote you.
    Media coverage.
    Fan base over here.
    The audience can easy misidentify's name for another Asian popstar; it does happens.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

The only ones that come immediately to mind as successful are Lea Salonga and Anggun. Coco Lee? Jin? Harlemm Lee? Then there are Kevin So and Johnny Hi-fi. But none of these can be considered famous in the US.

I think the main reasons are:
    Lack of media coverage
    Lack of endorsement by influential big names
    Lack of connection with teenagers (the main buyers)

Could Charice Pempengco make it? She has backing from David Foster and Oprah Winfrey.

Singing at Oprah's After Oscar Party
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRPJhKwpJw0

we have 2 big name korean stars trying to break into the US market. it's not going so well right now.

Seven hasn't even debut yet after over a year of 'preparing' in the LA area. all i heard about him was signing autographs at verizon stores or trying to make it big underground first then move up.. but that didn't go so well. the latest news now is that he's going to debut in a couple of weeks.

then there's BoA. whose actually doing pretty well considering it's just been a couple of months. she's gotten as far as #16 on the US billboards. she's been on TRL. she's been to many famous DJ's parties in the LA and Vegas scene. but still not enough media coverage. even though she's got good song writers who made brittney and the rest of the pop queens famous, she still isn't getting all that media coverage. she's going to debut in a couple of weeks also with her first album. i think her two singles did fine online, but i'm sure that was all her fanbase from the asian countries supporting her. and boy does she have a huge fan base in asia. and BoA actually has what it takes. she's been hailed as the asian brittney spears BUT with talent. ^_^

personally, i think what's keeping these artists down is mainly the language barrier. sure BoA can speak english and understand most of it, but i'm sure she still uses an interpreter. and songs like 'i'll eat you up' with lyrics like 'yum yum' isn't going to help her either. seriously, wtf are they thinking? Seven's 'them girls' or whatever the title was is... aish, makes me cringe when i hear it.

another thing is the culture. definately, Asians tend to go for that clean, cutey, pretty, and innocent image while america has seen that many times already and are totally bored of those images. america is in the beyonce and rihanna stage right now. ^-^

^^ american music is more sexy and bump and grind. asian music is more pure and innocent. the american singers portray a more "bad girl" image.