Thread: Where to Buy Karaoke Player?

Default Where to Buy Karaoke Player?

I wasn't sure if I should have posted this question here, in the Tech Squad, or in the music section. Sorry in advance if this is the wrong section for this thread.

Anyways, I would like to purchase a karaoke player but have no idea where to buy one. Anyone have any online shops to suggest and have any recommendations on brand/model? Are there even any US stores that sell them?

Quote Originally Posted by botan View Post
    I wasn't sure if I should have posted this question here, in the Tech Squad, or in the music section. Sorry in advance if this is the wrong section for this thread.

Anyways, I would like to purchase a karaoke player but have no idea where to buy one. Anyone have any online shops to suggest and have any recommendations on brand/model? Are there even any US stores that sell them?
    Hi,
    Where do you live in the US? There are plenty of asian electronic stores that sell it. Have you tried ebay? You can go to ebay and search for "Karaoke player" and you will see plenty. I just tried it and saw a lot of new and used ones for a variety of prices. A lot of them offer free shipping too. You can check it out. Just go to ebay.com and do a search. Good luck! Trinie
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

hi botan! i karaoke often too and have bought many of them ranging from just $75 bucks to almost $750! and guess what? the best one that i have had was the $75 dollar one! i will check on the brand and stuff for you when i get home cause i can't remember it right now, but that machine has lasted for 4 years now and it was from walmart! do you need a 'karaoke' player specifically? i just buy the dvd players with mic input and hook it up to the stereo radio! even the ones without mic input you can buy a voice mixer adapter thing for your dvd player from radio shack for like 30 dollars and connect up to 3 mics per adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    Hi,
    Where do you live in the US? There are plenty of asian electronic stores that sell it. Have you tried ebay? You can go to ebay and search for "Karaoke player" and you will see plenty. I just tried it and saw a lot of new and used ones for a variety of prices. A lot of them offer free shipping too. You can check it out. Just go to ebay.com and do a search. Good luck! Trinie
    Hi Trinie! I live in Oregon. I haven't really seen any Asian electronic stores around in OR. Hmm, ebay? Would I have to go through all that bidding stuff? I'll check it out though, thank you for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu
    hi botan! i karaoke often too and have bought many of them ranging from just $75 bucks to almost $750! and guess what? the best one that i have had was the $75 dollar one! i will check on the brand and stuff for you when i get home cause i can't remember it right now, but that machine has lasted for 4 years now and it was from walmart! do you need a 'karaoke' player specifically? i just buy the dvd players with mic input and hook it up to the stereo radio! even the ones without mic input you can buy a voice mixer adapter thing for your dvd player from radio shack for like 30 dollars and connect up to 3 mics per adapter.
    Hi GuGu! Wow, $750!?! $75 sounds like a good deal though. Hmm, I guess if a DVD player with mic input works then that is fine. I'm not really looking for those karaoke machines that are all big and rectangular. What I'm thinking of is the ones that look like DVD players where you can hook up a mic and you can use them as regular DVD/CD player. I hope that makes senses. I was looking on Yesasia.com and found that they have DVD players with karaoke function but I'm not quite sure what that means. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to electronics.

Hi Trinie! I live in Oregon. I haven't really seen any Asian electronic stores around in OR. Hmm, ebay? Would I have to go through all that bidding stuff? I'll check it out though, thank you for the suggestion!

Hi GuGu! Wow, $750!?! $75 sounds like a good deal though. Hmm, I guess if a DVD player with mic input works then that is fine. I'm not really looking for those karaoke machines that are all big and rectangular. What I'm thinking of is the ones that look like DVD players where you can hook up a mic and you can use them as regular DVD/CD player. I hope that makes senses. I was looking on Yesasia.com and found that they have DVD players with karaoke function but I'm not quite sure what that means. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to electronics.
    Hi Botan,
    Oh so you live in Oregon.. I was hoping that you lived in California. If you did, I can recommend some areas and stores to you where they do have it. On ebay, you can also buy it now and don't have to go through bidding. Lots of good deals for new and used ones. You should check it out. You are welcome and good luck!
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

yeah, i know what you mean cause that's exactly what i use. a regular dvd/cd player with mic input. it's really easy to hook up with a tv and radio. then on the dvd remote hit 'set up menu' and find 'vocal set up' or something like that and put the system furthest to the L or R to take the voice of the singer out. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    yeah, i know what you mean cause that's exactly what i use. a regular dvd/cd player with mic input. it's really easy to hook up with a tv and radio. then on the dvd remote hit 'set up menu' and find 'vocal set up' or something like that and put the system furthest to the L or R to take the voice of the singer out. ^_^
    those things are OKAYYY. nothing too fancy and they work okay.

Here's the basis for karaoke (since I know a little bit about it, these might help you).

Let start with format: DVD, cdg, midi.
    These are the most widely use format:

DVD: this is like the paris by night, asia karaoke stuff, alot of stuff from Vietnam too, 90% of this stuff came from the studio of the artist, they took the background track and insert it in the video, it'll sound exactly like the original song. IMO it's very unoriginal to sing these things, but they're the best sounding format you can find. And the video is also very nice.

Uses your regular DVD player, this includes VCD, SVCD, AVI, ect... they're just different container, slightly different from DVD but they all came from a DVD at some point.

CDG: this appears more on american karaoke. no video, or rather, repeated videos, the video isn't for the song, it's more like a slide show that cycle itself, these are played through any DVD players with CDG capacity or those CDGs player they sell at walmart/kmart. Ok quality, not exactly like the original track, but close enough to sing, most of the time it's some company synthesize the instrument through software. There's plenty of song choice when it comes to this one, so it's great.

If you download it to your computer, it's gonna be in MP3+G format. same thing, they just convert it to mp3 to save space.

Midi: we see a revival of this format in vietnam/asian country, it's basically like cdg, but alot lower quality, I dislike this format, you see this in a lot of karaoke shop (asian ones) where you enter the number of the song and it'll come up (boxy player). The reason they can stuff 30000 songs on 1 disc is because of these format. The machine automatically EQ the heavy bass/trebel to make it sound 1/2 *** decent.

So the player you buy will depend on the format you usually use. A computer will play all these format without any problem.

Now for the fun part, singing.

You'll need some sort of other equipment such as: speakers. a mic, a mixer.

Speakers divide into 2 type: active, passive: passive speakers need an "amp", that's the right term for it, now a day you'll probably know it as an amplifier or a receiver. Active speakers are self power, no need for amp.

A mic: no need to explain

A mixer: it's basically what it is, it mixes what you sing into the mic and the music into 1 track and send that crap to the amp and the amp will blow up the signal and send it to the speakers.

Ok, there will be units out there that combine all this crap together. like these ones
    http://www.vocopro.com/frm_product.html

Of course there will be other crap out there like EQ units, compressor, but no need for that IMO.

1st thing is to define what type of karaoke you sing 1st, then you can buy what you need. because most CDG/midi players will come in packages, while the DVD ones are really up to you what you wanna buy.

if you want to do this just to kill time, we can go super light and pick up a set of small speaker + a dvd player with mic input and call it a day.

if you want to do this to host party and have something for people to play with, I would go full blown.

IMO this is a decent setup here:
    Polk floor standing speaker: 200 for a pair, if you want the sleek look + amp = 300-400 depend on the fancy of the speaker/amp.

Or go for some PA speakers and drop 300-400 bucks on it.

A mixer: 100-200 at most. vocopro is what alot of people use, they're pretty much the staples of karaoke mixer. if you didn't get the amp seperately they have units that built in together for cheaper.

Use your laptop and hook it up as a player. Great control and free.

A pair or 3 mic. The senn mic are very nice, but they go for 70 bucks each, sure PG58 are cheap but sound very muddy. I don't know where all my friends get their beta58 but I've seen every vietnamese house with one of these. They're much nicer.
    Last edited by warlock110; 02-18-09 at 11:36 PM.

warlock i don't think she's looking for something at that stage. i think she just wants something simple and affordable, for home use.

you have all those set ups, right? no wonder you like to participate in those idol contests. ^_^

warlock i don't think she's looking for something at that stage. i think she just wants something simple and affordable, for home use.

you have all those set ups, right? no wonder you like to participate in those idol contests. ^_^
    naw, i'm just a geek , I do not own those gears (no one uses it, including me, I dislike karaoke).

But I have a basic understanding of audio/video equipment and how they work, so pretty much any situation that require those knowledge I can apply it. And you can't believe how much you can use them, a boat load of tech revolves around audio/video.

I suck at phones though, after 8 years of using multiple cell phone I still haven't learned how to text people yet (and they laugh at my *** when they realized I took 2 hours texting "no I don't have it") haha.

alot of my friends own karaoke systems, they're all vietnamese people, they karaoke haha. everytime there's a party, they drink and karaoke, I don't drink or karaoke, sucks pretty bad, I do like watching people get drunk though, pretty funny.
    Last edited by warlock110; 02-19-09 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    naw, i'm just a geek , I do not own those gears (no one uses it, including me, I dislike karaoke).

But I have a basic understanding of audio/video equipment and how they work, so pretty much any situation that require those knowledge I can apply it. And you can't believe how much you can use them, a boat load of tech revolves around audio/video.

I suck at phones though, after 8 years of using multiple cell phone I still haven't learned how to text people yet (and they laugh at my *** when they realized I took 2 hours texting "no I don't have it") haha.

alot of my friends own karaoke systems, they're all vietnamese people, they karaoke haha. everytime there's a party, they drink and karaoke, I don't drink or karaoke, sucks pretty bad, I do like watching people get drunk though, pretty funny.

yeah i had vietnamese friends who had a karaoke room in their house with a stage and all. damn too bad he got married and his wife was such a *****. i stopped going over there but we had a lot of fun there when we were in high school.

but my karaoke machine is very simple, just a dvd player with mic input hooked up to tv and radio. simple but it sounds great, cause my voice of course is already wonderful. and i also record when i karaoke, sounds so funny when you're sober ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    Hi Botan,
    Oh so you live in Oregon.. I was hoping that you lived in California. If you did, I can recommend some areas and stores to you where they do have it. On ebay, you can also buy it now and don't have to go through bidding. Lots of good deals for new and used ones. You should check it out. You are welcome and good luck!
    I don't mind some recommendations for areas in CA. I do visit my relatives in Orange County once in a while, maybe I can drop by the shops if I'm ever there. I'm pretty open to any options and not really in a hurry to buy one.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuGu
    LOL, GuGu is right, I'm just looking for something easy to use and affordable. But thank you for all the information though Warlock.
    Last edited by botan; 03-01-09 at 01:18 AM.

botan, i'm not sure if you've already gotten your karaoke player but i thought i'd suggest a site for you.

http://www.ktskaraoke.com/dvplay.html

botan, i'm not sure if you've already gotten your karaoke player but i thought i'd suggest a site for you.

http://www.ktskaraoke.com/dvplay.html
    I'm sorry for taking so long to reply, I forgot about even buying a karaoke player. Thank you so much for the link GuGu! Wow, seems like a really great site.