Chun Wong

Producer
    Lam Ga Wah 林志華 [The Gateau Affair, The Four, Money-Maker Recipe]

Costume Fitting
    Feb 2009

Filming Starts
    March 2009

Episode
    Last edited by triumph2004; 05-21-10 at 10:04 PM.

Costume fitting news:

Source: Hkheadline
    Translated by: Matchbox @ mediachamber.net

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ol.mingpao.com/ftp/Lady/20090218/saa01/_18MA004_.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.takungpao.com.hk/2tkp_site2/news/images/09/02/18/uhk-21.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://image.wenweipo.com/2009/02/18/en0218e.jpg')

TVB continue to shoot another "Disputing over family property" series in March, Jessica Hsuan to play Evil role for the first time

The TV series "Heart of Greed" based on a storyline about disputes over family property had become a hot trend in 2007 and 2008 (Moonlight Resonance). Not only did it recieve the highest TV ratings but also made "Sai Kai" Susanna Kwan and "Hung Yi" Michelle Yim who both played evil roles very famous. Due to the theme being accepted by the audience, TVB will start filming a similar series in March called "Pearl on the Palm" (掌上明珠). The new series storyline will involve 3 sisters disputing over a jewellery business property. This will also be the first time Jessica Hsuan will portray an evil role. Perhaps due to the fact playing an evil role is easier to get more noticed, every artist would like to try. They all hope to have a breakthrough in their career.

Jessica has been in TVB for nearly 17 years. Since entering the industry she has never played an evil role before. After hearing that the role will be very evil in the new series she immediately accepted to shoot this series. In the past the artistes who played evil roles would be scolded by the audience. But after "Sai Kai" and "Hung Yi" got more famous, the artises no longer worry about that problem because nowadays the audience are smart enough to know that it's just acting.

In the series "Pearl on the Palm" many artistes will play evil roles, as well as Jessica Hsuan, Kiki Sheung and Macy Chan playing the 3 sisters. Bowie Lam and Michael Tao have also portrayed many evil characters in the past. Such as Bowie's recent production "The Gem of Life". But his role in the new series will be totally different. There should be plenty of conflicts between Bowie Lam, Jessica Hsuan, Kiki Sheung and Michael Tao.

Not the same as "The Gem of Life"

The new series sounds similar to "The Gem of Life" as both themes are based on jewellery and about 3 sisters fighting. Producer Lam Chi Wah explained that it is totally different. "Pearl on the Palm" is set in the 60's, although it is also a jewellery family business however "The Gem of Life" is more focused on business conflicts. "Pearl on the Palm" is more based on the family, 3 sisters fighting over their father's
    Last edited by vinci90; 02-18-09 at 03:15 PM.

As a Huge Jessica fan, I will not be missing this series. Wow Jess will be playing an Evil role. Actually I'd rather her play an evil role then a weak role like her character in Drive of Life anyday. I can't wait. Though I don't know about the hair and costumes? And please, oh- god-please TVB producers, Please do not cast Joe Ma as Jessica's husband, please do not cast him in this series at all. Jessica has chemistry with all her leading men, except for Joe Ma. I don't know what it is about that guy, but he just isn't compatible with Jess but TVB keeps putting them together.
    Jessica Hsuan + Louis Koo = Amazing Chemistry!

"มารอยู่ในจิต สวรรค์อยู่ในใจ"
    Life on Paper
    Thaitanium

Quote Originally Posted by Sutisa View Post
    As a Huge Jessica fan, I will not be missing this series. Wow Jess will be playing an Evil role. Actually I'd rather her play an evil role then a weak role like her character in Drive of Life anyday. I can't wait. Though I don't know about the hair and costumes? And please, oh- god-please TVB producers, Please do not cast Joe Ma as Jessica's husband, please do not cast him in this series at all. Jessica has chemistry with all her leading men, except for Joe Ma. I don't know what it is about that guy, but he just isn't compatible with Jess but TVB keeps putting them together.
    Obviously Joe Ma is not in this series as he's neither on the cast list or at the costume fitting, so rest assured

I'm also looking forward to Jessica playing a villainess...but I was glad that she also played a weak character in Drive of Life. What bores me is her constant portrayal of strong, independ, tough-headed characters - now that is too typical.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Obviously Joe Ma is not in this series as he's neither on the cast list or at the costume fitting, so rest assured

I'm also looking forward to Jessica playing a villainess...but I was glad that she also played a weak character in Drive of Life. What bores me is her constant portrayal of strong, independ, tough-headed characters - now that is too typical.
    Yes Joe isn't in the cast list or at the costune fitting but on the first post under notes, point number 4) it states that "*She only love her husband. Currently, it's still an unknown who will be Jessica's husband. TVB wanted to find a good one to portray as Jessica's husband."

This is what my post about Joe Ma was referring to. Cas they haven't casted anyone yet, he still has that chance of being casted into that role. They've played husband and wife in a few series now, so I'm scared they're gonna turn around and say"hmm Joe and Jess have played husband and wife before, why don't we cast them together again?". And that would be the beginning of the end.

I'm actually different, yeah I know she's played strong, independant characters most of the time, but that is probably the reason why I like her so. I don't really like the weak female characters, they tend to annoy me, thats why I'd rather her play a villian role.

Also as a Fan, I try to watch all of Jessica's series, and so its just that much more enjoyable when I like her character (and hopefully the storyline too) . I spend money collecting her series, and I'm pained when I buy a series like DOL where I don't like her character, don't like the guys she's with, plus its so long! Actually at the start of her career, Jess used to play more weaker characters, its just after DIF4 that her roles have been the strong independant type.

Life on Paper
    Thaitanium

After HR those who want fame r cast in evil role or what. Please change something, because I have seen 2-3 series where that happen. I like Jessica to be independent, but try another style I don't know like abuse, homo, and greed. Anything but strong & soft

Quote Originally Posted by Sutisa View Post
    Yes Joe isn't in the cast list or at the costune fitting but on the first post under notes, point number 4) it states that "*She only love her husband. Currently, it's still an unknown who will be Jessica's husband. TVB wanted to find a good one to portray as Jessica's husband."
    I don't think Joe Ma is in the series. At that time the cast isn't finalized yet. Now that it's finalized Joe Ma isn't in the list.

Yeah...I think TVB is looking for a SUITABLE SUPPORTING actor to play Jessica's husband...and thus that part of the news. Plus, it says her husband dies and she returns and fights for the her father's wealth...thus it is clearly not a very significant role and so Joe Ma would not be in it...once again rest assured haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Yeah...I think TVB is looking for a SUITABLE SUPPORTING actor to play Jessica's husband...and thus that part of the news. Plus, it says her husband dies and she returns and fights for the her father's wealth...thus it is clearly not a very significant role and so Joe Ma would not be in it...once again rest assured haha.
    Okay, I'll take your explaination. But if Joe Ma turns up anywhere in this series, You will never hear the end of it.

Hmm I wonder how long it's gonna take them to film this series. I'm really looking forward to it, even though I don't tend to like series set in the 60's. This will probably air end of the year or maybe start of next year.

Life on Paper
    Thaitanium

Default Sisters Of Pearl 掌上明珠

Anyone wathcing this series now?

Basic plot is set in Hong kong 1960's with feuding sisters (Kiki Sheung and Jessica Hsuan) over the inheritance of their family's pearl business with everyone (mistresses, cousins, son-in-laws, etc...) wanting a bit of the money and backstabbing each other for 30 episodes. The innocent sister (Macy Chan) is also entangled into this chaos.

I just finished watching a week's worth of this new TVB series, and it looks promising. It has a great themesong by Myolie and an authentic feel to the old times like "The Silver Chambers of Sorrows". Most of the cast looks good and refreshing and there lies many twists and subplots to the story.

However, it is far from perfect. Right now, all three sisters have their moments where they act like psychos and it hard to like any of the three. Every character is annoying in their own way and it can be frustrating to watch.

click to show/hide spoilers

First of all, I hate all three sisters.

I can empathsize with Bik Wan (Kiki) as she sacrificed heaps for her family while her sister, Bik Ha (Jessica) gets an equal share when she abandoned her family to elope, and her husband, Cheung Hing (Bowie) has always been secretly in love with Bik Ha. She feels insecure as her father is biased towards Bik Ha and she cannot conceive due to Bik Ha (will be mentioned in future eps) while Bik Ha marches in with her own son has the heir to the family business. But Bik Wan is so abrupt and rude and stupid at times it is hard to root for her. Don't like her but don't hate her.

Bik Ha (Jessica) is just a plain psycho. She is ambitous, selfish, conniving, and two-faced. I am glad that Jessica too this role as it is very different from her other roles, but right now, I don't get why she has to get out of her way to get rid of her elder sister. She plots against everyone and for what? She abandoned the family in the beginning and now she wants to come back and take everything?

The series is trying to keep her motive a secret, but i guess it would turn out to a mother trying to fend for her son. This is a terrible reason. No one is mistreating her son in the first place (until she starts attacking Bik Wan) and even if he doesn't get all of the family business, it is not likely he would starve or be abused. he can grow up and get his own career, no need to destroy her sister for this. I mean, what on earth did Bik Wan do to Bik Ha (up to ep 5 of course) that she receives this hostility? And to blame her husband's accidental death on Yiu Sang (Michael Tao) is crazy as well. Hate Bik Ha.

Bik Lum (Macy) is supposed to be innocent and friendly, but she is extremely psychotic as well. She makes death threats towards her "stepmother", Lai Sheung (Joyce) and is extremely verbally abusive towards her for a rich highly-educated lady. Don't get why she is so hostile as well. I understand she feels Lai Sheung was a third wheel in her father's everlasting love towrads her mother, but this is confusing as her mother died a decade ago and Lai Sheung only met her dad one year ago. But to be violent and abusive to a pregnant woman? That's just crazy and over-reacting. Hate Bik Lum as well.

Other characters seem more interesting and rational.

Firstly, the sympathetic son-in-law, Cheung Hing (Bowie) who was coerced into a loveless marriage by his father only to be treated poorly and abused by his father-in-law. His wife orders him around like a servant and other people look down on him. Bowie does a very good job as the subtle underdog who will be a great villian later. Really felt sorry for him when he was forbidden to worship his dead father due to his father-in-law's funeral. No wonder he wants the family dead. I like Cheung Hing and look forward to his change to the dark side.

Then there is greedy and opportunistic cousin, Yiu Sang (Michael) who orchestrates a plot to get part of the inheritance his uncle built from his aunt's family pearl (Yiu Sang's mother's side). He is irresponsible at times but he seems interesting for future episodes as he is only putting up a front so he would not be suspected as he is really intelligent and resourceful underneath. Nice comeback for Michael.

Lastly, Lai Sheung (Joyce) is the greedy mistress of the sister's dad (Lau Kong). She is harmless even though she wants the money and appears to be only a pawn used by Yiu Sang to get the inheritance. She might have some kind of a back story behind her but her motives for plotting are much more acceptable than Bik Ha's. Joyce looks really pretty here. Her subtle acting is good at times, but she tends to overact a lot when Lai Sheung is threatened by Bik Lum. Hope she has mroe serious scenes later as Joyce really excels in emotional scenes. Lai Sheung is quite likeable compared to the other females.

Overall, I recommend this series to people who like dark characters and family feuds. Just hope it is not ruined by a rushed ending.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I think Jessica character is the evil one in the family, Older hot head while the younger one is a mistress to their if I'm right

Just done watching episode 1, way too much dramas for me. Will not continue watching.
    *A smile is contagious; be a carrier*

I finished watching this show a couple of days ago. Pretty good show.
    Favorite shows: E.U., Rosy Business
    Favorite actor: Ron Ng, Wayne Lai
    Favorite actress: Tavia Yeung

Just fniashed watching it. It's not bad, but its not the greatest series of 2010. Poeple will either like it for its depressing mood or hate the intensity of the plot.

I like the development of the main villian very much and it is very moving to see the transition from good to bad of the character. I feel there are a lot of unnecessary characters (Macy, Joel, Joel's family, Jess's husband's cousin) who are just put in to fill space but for the few important ones, there is actually change in the personalities which i find interesting.

I personally dislike the character of Jess, Chu Pik Ha, all the way through. But it is good to see the cast of "Files of Justice" still has heaps of chemistry. I love Joyce's change, but have to admit she overacted in the funny scenes a lot.

Hate the ending. Does anyone want to discuss?

click to show/hide spoilers
    Can't TVB just let the viollian die for once? I know Bowie is not 100% bad and very sympathetic, but it would be mroe refreshing if he actually died rather than go crazy and have Michael die instead. Nowadays, the villians end up going crazy too often and it gets lame. and the ending fire scene is very unreasonable. The cops should be fired cos they did nothing. And Jess was way too calm in reaction when she found out Michael died to save her. At least scream or cry like a madwoman, but she just sat there with zero expression (not shock). The kis is ultra kid though.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

oh nice series, i love this series, good series