Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Save your loved one or X number of ppl?

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Kadaw View Post
    At first glance on the topic, I would choose loved ones over strangers. I'm not a hero, nor do I care about being one. But I'd have to reconsider if there are young kids and children in the group of strangers.

I haven't been around as much but it seems like TC is still the most discussed member lol.
    hehehhe
    I follow logic. If I were in trouble, who will help me out, my loved ones or the billion strangers?

Since most of the people here are asian, it's a big surprise that not many of them here think about filial piety. It's indeed very very unfilial to not save the parents who been raised and took care of me all their lives. What have the strangers done for me??

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    what if your loved ones wave their hands and begging you to save them. Would you turn away from them and save the 1 billion strangers? Letting your loved ones die and saving strangers instead is very cruel. I would never do this to my loved ones. Loved ones deserve better than that.
    It's sad either way. In this case scenario I can only choose one. So if I save one group and not the other it is because I am constrained, not because I am cruel.
    hehehhe
    I follow logic. If I were in trouble, who will help me out, my loved ones or the billion strangers?
    Sometimes your loved ones are not there at the scene to render aid. You have read the "Hit and Run" thread, a boy got hit by a car and a stranger got out to help. Not all strangers will stand back and do nothing. Strangers have the potential to become something more and may do us a lot of good.

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    It's sad either way. In this case scenario I can only choose one. So if I save one group and not the other it is because I am constrained, not because I am cruel.
    Yes, I agree. I would save both if I could but if I only can save one, then loved ones come first. Perhap the reason we have different opinions is due to different cultures. For teochew chinese culture, filial piety is very very important especially for a son.

Sometimes your loved ones are not there at the scene to render aid. You have read the "Hit and Run" thread, a boy got hit by a car and a stranger got out to help. Not all strangers will stand back and do nothing. Strangers have the potential to become something more and may do us a lot of good.
    I agree. I would do the same thing to help a stranger in an accident. However, between my loved ones and strangers then loved ones come first.

In the billion of strangers, there bound to be some altruistic people and good samaritans who will help you out.

Since most of the people here are asian, it's a big surprise that not many of them here think about filial piety. It's indeed very very unfilial to not save the parents who been raised and took care of me all their lives. What have the strangers done for me??
    They choose X number of people doesn't mean they don't think of filial piety. It's just not their highest priority. Guo Jing will save the billions of strangers over his own family. So, do you think Guo Jing is unfilial?
    Last edited by kidd; 11-20-09 at 08:55 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by Bangs View Post
    Its not stupid, in my last post I said I'd choose family over strangers and then kill myself as an apology. Why would I kill myself? Because I could not live life knowing I couldve saved those lives but instead chose to be selfish. Its a matter of honor, most people wouldn't understand.
    Being humans, feeling guilty should be normal. I believe as well that honour is a value that is slowly disappearing away from most people's values. Your decision is not pure stupidity, but it is unneccessary. You are just doing what a Guo Jing (Jin Yong hero) will do.

What you did after the whole event will not bring back the ones that were sacrificed. However, you have my respect for the honour shown.
    Last edited by Extremer88; 11-21-09 at 02:42 AM.
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    It's not a matter of honor. It's a cowardly and selfish way out. You couldn't stand seeing yourself as selfish. So, you choose to kill yourself so that you can say to yourself "See? I'm not selfish. I'm filled with guilt until I need to kill himself. So, I am honorable." Do you know how much guilt you might pile on your love ones by this 'honorable' act of yours?

It's very easy to beat yourself up over past mistakes, because it will make you feel less of a bad guy. It makes you feel 'selfish' to forgive yourself over past bad decision. So, letting go and forgiving yourself is the hard part.
    I agree with you, in a sense that is how it really is. I'm being selfish so much so that I had to go the easy way out. But you have to consider the situation, to be put into a situation where you decide the lives of people. Any one with a conscience will not be able to easily choose either side and not feel remorse after. Truly anybody can say this and that but when such a situation comes I really don't think many will be able to decide outright, the burden of such a situation is mind boggling. I know it will never happen to any of us but you never know, it could happen in some form or another.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    In the billion of strangers, there bound to be some altruistic people and good samaritans who will help you out.
    If I see someone in trouble I would call the police to save them too but I would always choose my loved ones over strangers.

They choose X number of people doesn't mean they don't think of filial piety. It's just not their highest priority. Guo Jing will save the billions of strangers over his own family. So, do you think Guo Jing is unfilial?
    No but I am not GJ. I am not a General. I am an average Joe.

Wait, so X= 1 billion people?!! Ummm... I still wouldn't care, I'll save my Guo'er.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    Wait, so X= 1 billion people?!! Ummm... I still wouldn't care, I'll save my Guo'er.
    Right on. The world population is over 7 Billion but there is only one Guo'er.

What's if everyone is gone between for you and loved one (2 left)?

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    What's if everyone is gone between for you and loved one (2 left)?
    Typo. It is "except" instead of "between". Apology.

What's if everyone is gone except for you and loved one (2 left)?
    The human race will go extinction. Without the human race, nature will thrive. No more pollution! The earth would be a lot healthier.

The human race will go extinction. Without the human race, nature will thrive. No more pollution! The earth would be a lot healthier.
    Then another round of evolution. Isn't life strange? What goes around comes around.

Then another round of evolution. Isn't life strange? What goes around comes around.
    I'm kind of hoping humanity will evolve into something with huge heads and huge eyes.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.thinkaboutit-aliens.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/HybridBoy.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I'm kind of hoping humanity will evolve into something with huge heads and huge eyes.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.thinkaboutit-aliens.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/HybridBoy.jpg')
    I guess I'm heading there
    Sim neej aws...

I totally agree with you.