Thread: Watchmen (2009)

Banned

Default Watchmen (2009)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://blog.80millionmoviesfree.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/watchmen.jpg')
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 03-06-09 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by samupakaro View Post

click to show/hide spoilers
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://blog.80millionmoviesfree.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/watchmen.jpg')

Arrr.... BAD-Man?
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

I thought they tried to fit too much stuff into the movie. Less than satisfying.

Saw the movie last night and well, it was a bit too long. It was exciting, but just a bit too long. DO NOT take little kids to see this movie, unless if you are very (and I mean very) liberal in views. There's plenty of nudity (full frontal of males and a lot of females), sex, graphic death, etc. Honestly, I think a rating of R was almost too low.

According to my friend (who's a fanatic about the comics), the beginning was really close to the story, but the ending was way off. The movie did do a very good job incorporating flashbacks into the actual storyline though and several of the key characters were well casted.

There were quite a bit of unexplained stuff that could only be understood by actually reading the comic, but it was mainly backstory, so that's okay. They ampt up some of the costumes and abilities, but that only made the story more exciting, I guess.

This is not a movie for those faint of heart, highly conservative, innocent, or morally strict (meaning: you can't accept that sometimes people see things a bit different).

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Arrr.... BAD-Man?
    The Comedian, actually.
    Last edited by MysticDust; 03-07-09 at 07:26 PM.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

Quote Originally Posted by MysticDust View Post
    Saw the movie last night and well, it was a bit too long. It was exciting, but just a bit too long. DO NOT take little kids to see this movie, unless if you are very (and I mean very) liberal in views. There's plenty of nudity (full frontal of males and a lot of females), sex, graphic death, etc. Honestly, I think a rating of R was almost too low.

According to my friend (who's a fanatic about the comics), the beginning was really close to the story, but the ending was way off. The movie did do a very good job incorporating flashbacks into the actual storyline though and several of the key characters were well casted.

There were quite a bit of explained stuff that could only be understood by actually reading the comic, but it was mainly backstory, so that's okay. They ampt up some of the costumes and abilities, but that only made the story more exciting, I guess.

This is not a movie for those faint of heart, highly conservative, innocent, or morally strict (meaning: you can't accept that sometimes people see things a bit different).
    Sounds rather challenging to watch. I'm keen to watch this.

The Comedian, actually.
    Thank you for the clarification, Mystic
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

This was a great movie.
    The visuals were great. The plot was very good, too.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    This was a great movie.
    The visuals were great. The plot was very good, too.
    With reading this and co-reference with other comments, I have a better confidence in catching this movie .

Never heard of this graphic novel before. Got interested in watching the movie after hearing a lot of guy friends being very excited to watch this. However, I heard that it is very confusing if you havn't read the graphic novel. So I'm still unsure if it's worth the $13 or $14 to go watch this.

Quote Originally Posted by wuxiagurl View Post
    Never heard of this graphic novel before. Got interested in watching the movie after hearing a lot of guy friends being very excited to watch this. However, I heard that it is very confusing if you havn't read the graphic novel. So I'm still unsure if it's worth the $13 or $14 to go watch this.
    I never actually read the graphic novel but I thought it was really simple to understand. Nothing really kept you guessing if you pay attention to the dialogue. It may be a bit confusing in regards to people's motives in the beginning and the characters' backstory, but the motives are either explicitly explained or heavily implied throughout the coarse of the movie.

If you were actually a big fanatic of the graphic novel, you may be disappointed to find some things changed and enhanced, but if this is your first time being exposed to the franchise, it is actually a really good movie to watch.

click to show/hide spoilers
    Though it would have been better if they removed the awkward sex scene. Also, in the beginning of the movie, they made a point in only showing Dr. Manhattan's upper body when he's nude, but in the middle till the end, they decided that they didn't care for modesty anymore, so the audience is forced to see quite a bit of male genitals.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

I just finished watching the movie.

For all its worth, the director and the editing team tried to pack too much into the movie.

They should have decided at the onset to either have the feel of the graphic novel and make a 120 min movie, or follow it religiously and have it made as a 2 part movie.

As such, they fell half way through with a product that is too long with draggy bits and either up mastering little of importance.

Having not read the graphic novel, but knowing the great significance of the Watchmen in the late 80s, it was somewhat of a disappointment. The movie does not convey the great reputation of the story.

I have some things to commend about this movie, particularly its well placed introduction, and its managed CGI; but as i said before, the plot could be tightened, and the movie's pace and suspense could be heightened. The relationship issues in the movie is awkward and as someone said earlier, the sex scene is weird, occurring amongst music and a passionless scene.

I like the character design of Roschart, and wonder if the movie could have been better if used through his POV throughout.

In summary: 2.5 to 3 out of 5.
    A movie to endure, and one should read the graphic novel beforehand to maximize the enjoyment.

Han Solo
    Last edited by Han Solo; 03-13-09 at 10:31 PM.
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Great movie nonetheless, although its more of a mix and not for everyone (two guys left the room 15 mins before the movie ended when they finally realized it was no batman action). I actually went to see it because of Rorschach. A lengthy movie, but not that packed like some of you had mentioned.

Banned

Teens are desperate to see comic book movies because they love to live I fantasy but because of the well make of Watchmen (2009) not only teens adults are also go on to see this movie. I have really enjoy this movie because it was a copy of the book series free movies I have seen Watchmen (2009) and hope many will see this movie in the time been

What a bore...
    Seriously, though the action is quite good. The plot was sh*t and not worth it.... Fell asleep 1/5 way through
    내가 황제라면, 모든 단어에 의미를 부여하기 위해 사전을 만드는 일 부터 시작할 것이다.

AkA: strife_au in the old mythic golden era of SPCNET pre-2007... Pioneer and architect of chaos... The legend lives.

the visuals were great but the plot was lacking. What was the plot again...?

aside from the visuals, the only thing giving life to the movie was Roschart.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Kadaw View Post
    Great movie nonetheless, although its more of a mix and not for everyone (two guys left the room 15 mins before the movie ended when they finally realized it was no batman action). I actually went to see it because of Rorschach. A lengthy movie, but not that packed like some of you had mentioned.
    I agree with you.

Initially, I thought it was a parody of superheroes movies (never know about the comic from 1985) due to the degraded-looking costumes of the heroes.

Maybe, it was because of Alan Moore, Rorschach reminds me of V for Vendatta.

I would really like to hear TC's opinion of this movie.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Quote Originally Posted by bliss View Post
    I would really like to hear TC's opinion of this movie.
    TC will decry the ample male frontal nudity and also laugh at the sex scene that the white had- therefore only asians have the best sex.

There.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    TC will decry the ample male frontal nudity and also laugh at the sex scene that the white had- therefore only asians have the best sex.

There.

Han Solo
    you know him too well

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post

There.

Han Solo
    I doubt he knows anything about sex to say anything.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.