Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: studying abroad

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    nothing in this world is free. there's no "free trip to where I want to go". For every action there's a reaction. I'm not saying that you can't do it, but I'm just saying to watch out for the extra work that you have to put into studying abroad. Lots of kids do it, and almost all of them says it's "good". However, after they returned the answer is always "well, it's not a grand as I thought it'd be".

And that's the truth, I don't want to say that I had my share of traveling, I've traveled alot (due to family jobs/circumstances), but I never had the hardship of traveling and worrying because I was well taken care of by my family. And I said it before, a lot of places are fun/cool to visit, not a whole lot of places are good to live in.
    you make no sense whatsoever. since when did i say this was a free trip?
    listen, have you ever studied abroad before? if not, don't go by what others have said. i'm sure those responses are common, but so far everyone i have asked told me it's worth the expenses and work so that's good enough for me. the trip is what you make it to be. if socializing and exploring the city/playing hard is your top priority along with studying hard, it's no doubt you'll have a blast ANYWHERE.
    and idk why you keep bringing that "places are fun to visit/not to live in" crap was i going to live there? i guess you can say i will be "living" there for 3 short months, or "visiting" for 3 long months but either way, it's not permanent
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by kay &!* View Post
    you make no sense whatsoever. since when did i say this was a free trip?
    listen, have you ever studied abroad before? if not, don't go by what others have said. i'm sure those responses are common, but so far everyone i have asked told me it's worth the expenses and work so that's good enough for me. the trip is what you make it to be. if socializing and exploring the city/playing hard is your top priority along with studying hard, it's no doubt you'll have a blast ANYWHERE.
    and idk why you keep bringing that "places are fun to visit/not to live in" crap was i going to live there? i guess you can say i will be "living" there for 3 short months, or "visiting" for 3 long months but either way, it's not permanent
    if you stay in a spot for more than a month, that's closer to living than "visiting". Normally, I do listen to other people's experience and believe that it's true, because normally I haven't done everything in this world yet. for example, I haven't got punch in the nuts yet, so I'm just gonna assume from those that had it and said that it hurt is true. and if that's wrong then I can't really help it.

I'm gonna end it here, I think you're absolutely right, I was wrong to even think what I was thinking.

Yep i go to MacQ Uni which i personally tell people that it is the greatest uni in the

world. HA! Its a uni that is known for doing commerce related subjects. The

classes usually consist of 2hr lecture and 1hr tutorial (per unit/wk). Yeh theres

quiet alot of us azns at our uni, i guess its cos of business orientated courses.

Been going there for about 3-4semesters now. O.o' its about 40min by bus to the

uni from city which is where i live. But now in 2wks im moving to a korean town.

And La trobe is a shitty uni and im basing that on pretige + campus is tiny. (not being bias

Lastly, you rather find a place on ur own since the macQ accomondation is rather cr@p.

No offense and i think it ranges from 150 - 350$ /wk.

goodluck choosing ur uni for this year?
    Last edited by milKBoi; 03-20-09 at 11:07 AM.
    ~ I'm so awesome.. the greatest ever after Kobe!! ~
    ~ aka Mini T-mac here ~

O.o' im not sure how u found this out but Perth is such a dull city. I was there

about 8mths ago and yea the city was so small and quiet. Which im not used to

at all + very few azn live there. eek! In a way i felt like i was alone.

i actually been thinking of coming to Singapore or Canada or USa to study a

semester. Bbut probably not a good idea since im literally broke. cries*

And the exchange rate is bad for meeH... stoopid Aud.
    ~ aka Mini T-mac here ~

Hey Kay &!*
    What nationality are you? If you are Viet, you may enjoy Melborne more because I think there is a Viet community there if I remember correctly.My brother blended in well and had a lot of help and support from the people there. But it is up to you whether you want to go to Melborne or Sydney since they are both really nice cities. However, you will still experience culture shock so be prepared for that.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    I agree, alot of these kids are so bubbly and their imagination runs wild (which in itself is a good/bad thing depending how you look at it). I just know for a fact that before you travel, you always feel like you're on top of the world planning bunches of crap, but it never live up to expectations, so just relax, take it easy, get to where you need to go and enjoy your time (if you can), if not, it's okay... not a big deal.
    I agree but it is normal to get excited and bubbly, but at the same time we also should not have ideal expectations and then get really disappointed when our expectations were not met.I think it is better to have lower expectations rather than really high ones and then get disappointed because it is always better when things end up better than what we imagined.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Do you know any International students? The ones that study abroad for for than a year? We have heaps at our school in Little Saigon town Cabramatta in Sydney.

Sigh.. I don't know what I'm missing out on. A lot of you guys say Sydney and Melbourne are cool places, but I suppose living in a small asian suburb I've always been exposed to the same cultures? My life doesn't feel any more exciting, but I guess I should wait until University until I make a judgement.

SYDNEY OR MELBOURNE SYDNEY OR MELBOURNE.
    change of plan; i'll be heading there late July to late November instead.. summer heat D:

trinie: i'm sure sydney also has a viet community, right?
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

change of plan; i'll be heading there late July to late November instead.. summer heat D:

I honestly am not 100% sure since my brother went to Melbourne instead of Sydney. I am guessing that they should but don't quote me on it...

ur from viet? Well the only viet communtiy i can think of is Cabramatta. It used to be the capital drug place in Syd where the viet 5T's gang used to rule the streets. But now its a much safer place.
    ~ aka Mini T-mac here ~

You can't get more viet than Cabramatta in Sydney. But I doubt you will live there, it's southwest, while Macquarie is like North. Macquarie has lotsa asian ppl that you can mingle with. But really, get out of your comfort zone and meet some real aussies. That's what the OD experience is about. Learning about other cultures and yourself.

In terms of culture shock, you will just find everyone here is more laid back. It's like dealing with Canadians right?
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Melbourne has 3 main viet surburbs- footscray, richmond, and springvale.

Agree with what yittzy said- the main point of an exchange is to see another culture.

Han solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    You can't get more viet than Cabramatta in Sydney. But I doubt you will live there, it's southwest, while Macquarie is like North. Macquarie has lotsa asian ppl that you can mingle with. But really, get out of your comfort zone and meet some real aussies. That's what the OD experience is about. Learning about other cultures and yourself.

In terms of culture shock, you will just find everyone here is more laid back. It's like dealing with Canadians right?
    i will definitely meet some "real aussies" but at the end of the day, i'd still like to be able to kick back with some asian faces. nothing is worse than feeling the lack sense of belonging, even though i'm sure non-asian aussies are very friendly and open-minded. i have many non-asian friends here too, but we relate on a diff. level than those of the same racial background. it's hard to explain.

anyways. i'm sure sydney and melbourne are both great, multi-cultural cities where i will have no problem fitting in. i think my issue is choosing the right institution. what i look in a campus is some place that is not too far all the action.. i actually heard it takes about 30 min - an hour from Macquarie University to the centre?? that's.. far. i'm a city girl, not by need but preference, so i'd like a campus that has easy access to the city so i can explore. pardon my ignorance, but when i hear that Macquarie University is that far away, i imagine the campus to be out there by itself in the green, where everything around you is either grass, trees, campus buildings, and/or residential housings i want to be able to walk around the city and stop by the cafes, go in the little boutiques, maybe do a little shopping here and there, etc. 30 min-an hour isn't all bad at all, but considering the public transportation will be my "car" over there.. it's gona be sucha hassle.

i will definitely meet some "real aussies" but at the end of the day, i'd still like to be able to kick back with some asian faces. nothing is worse than feeling the lack sense of belonging, even though i'm sure non-asian aussies are very friendly and open-minded. i have many non-asian friends here too, but we relate on a diff. level than those of the same racial background. it's hard to explain.

anyways. i'm sure sydney and melbourne are both great, multi-cultural cities where i will have no problem fitting in. i think my issue is choosing the right institution. what i look in a campus is some place that is not too far all the action.. i actually heard it takes about 30 min - an hour from Macquarie University to the centre?? that's.. far. i'm a city girl, not by need but preference, so i'd like a campus that has easy access to the city so i can explore. pardon my ignorance, but when i hear that Macquarie University is that far away, i imagine the campus to be out there by itself in the green, where everything around you is either grass, trees, campus buildings, and/or residential housings i want to be able to walk around the city and stop by the cafes, go in the little boutiques, maybe do a little shopping here and there, etc. 30 min-an hour isn't all bad at all, but considering the public transportation will be my "car" over there.. it's gona be sucha hassle.
    Google map macquarie, if i remember correctly there's a shopping centre there. You can't exchange with USyd or UNSW? They are like 10min from city centre. By the time you get here the metro line will be completed, so you will be one train away from city centre. 15-20min travel I reckon.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

If you can afford it, go to a UK uni. Australian Uni's are quite behind compared to US and UK unis (If you're comparing apples to apples - i.e. top Australian unis to top UK unis). If you're set on Australia, try to go to a top tier uni like USyd or Melb Uni.

If you want to treat the exchange as a big holiday like everyone does then I guess it doesn't really matter.

ps: yes Perth is a hole. If you want my input into the Syd vs. Melb debate, I'd choose Melbourne. I think it has more to see culturally than Sydney. Sydney and Melbourne would be like comparing NY and Chicago respectively.
    Last edited by KeongJai; 03-22-09 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Google map macquarie, if i remember correctly there's a shopping centre there. You can't exchange with USyd or UNSW? They are like 10min from city centre. By the time you get here the metro line will be completed, so you will be one train away from city centre. 15-20min travel I reckon.
    Quote Originally Posted by KeongJai View Post
    If you can afford it, go to a UK uni. Australian Uni's are quite behind compared to US and UK unis (If you're comparing apples to apples - i.e. top Australian unis to top UK unis). If you're set on Australia, try to go to a top tier uni like USyd or Melb Uni.

If you want to treat the exchange as a big holiday like everyone does then I guess it doesn't really matter.

ps: yes Perth is a hole. If you want my input into the Syd vs. Melb debate, I'd choose Melbourne. I think it has more to see culturally than Sydney. Sydney and Melbourne would be like comparing NY and Chicago respectively.
    no, i can't choose the school because i'm in this certain program that only allows me to pick from the schools they have on the list
    but i actually just re-checked the site, and they have another school in Melbourne-- The Swinburne University of Technology, which is very close to the city! So i think i am going to go with that..it's an urban campus which is what i'm looking for.

and just for the hell of it, the other schools listed were in Gold Coast, Newcastle, and Toowoomba but i'll pass even though i heard Gold Coast is hella pretty with its' beaches.

(** i have yet to make my final decision though, 'cause i have scheduled a virtual tour of Macq. Uni this wednesday, so i'll have to see how that goes as well)

KeongJai, have you been to the States?
    Last edited by kay &!*; 03-22-09 at 12:57 PM.

I have heard a lot of good things about Melbourne and Sydney, but I know more about Melbourne because my brother has been there. He liked it a lot too, but each person is different. You may like Sydney more if you decide to go there instead. Good luck to you and hope that you have an unforgettable experience...

Swinburne Uni is located at Hawthorn, which is at least 15 min from the city itself.

What about Gold Coast?
    That place is fabulous, miles and miles of beaches, plenty of hunks and chicks, and tourists, with nice japanese restaurants.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

..........initially, i wanted to go to Korea just because i'm soo in love with Big Bang. but then, i figured Japan would be much better since EVERYONE wants to go to TOKYO(and being in love with BB isn't a good enough reason), so how cool would it be to actually live there for 3 months?? i'll be the envy of my friends! mwahahah........................................
    After reading thru 38 posts, I cannot but returned to comment on the OP.

I just hope you are going oversea for the correct reasons.
    Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Swinburne Uni is located at Hawthorn, which is at least 15 min from the city itself.

What about Gold Coast?
    That place is fabulous, miles and miles of beaches, plenty of hunks and chicks, and tourists, with nice japanese restaurants.

Han Solo
    I know, but at least that is closer than La Trobe and Macquarie in terms of distance. But doesn't Swinburne have several campuses? There's one in.. i forgot the name but it starts with 'P', and they said that campus is even closer than Hawthorn's. idk which campus i'll stay at if i decide to go but it should be either or.

Gold Coast-Bond University? hmm, it could be a possibility but really, i don't love the beach THAT much. i like it, but it's not something that will really affect my decision. i guess as i've said before, i'm much more of a city girl, so i'd be better off living in NYC than say, Miami or Honolulu

as part of the program though, i will be going to an orientation where they will take me to many parts of Australia and i'm sure Gold Coast is one of the destinations along with many other tourist-y places. if not, i can always make a weekend visit etc.

say Han Solo, i never knew you resided in Australia? haha, I always thought you lived in the U.S.. what part do you live in? I'm guessing close to Melbourne since you seem to be pretty familiar with the place?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    After reading thru 38 posts, I cannot but returned to comment on the OP.

I just hope you are going oversea for the correct reasons.
    Good Luck
    rest assured Thor, those were just some half-assed reasons why i wanted to travel to those places. on a more serious note, i took Korea off because i heard the uni. isn't what i was looking for in a campus and i took Japan off 'cause, as i have mentioned before, the classes for my major is very limited so there is no point in going there if i can't transfer back as much credits as i've hoped to. i have always been intrigued by both places and their culture so that's why i was aiming towards them in the first place. however, it hurts to know you've spent around $6-8k/semester and find out you're only transferring back 2 classes towards my degree.. when i could've stayed here and pay a fraction of that amount and have 4-5 classes completed. i'm already behind the graduation date due to switching majors so often, so i'm trying to get as much work out of the way as possible. i tried to balance it out on an academic, financial, and personal level so that's why i ultimately chose Australia
    Last edited by kay &!*; 03-23-09 at 12:31 AM.