Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Bordertown Wanderer (cont.)

I finally caught up and finish this story. I really liked it, probably the most out of all the Dagger Lee series. I totally agree GL treated YK better in this story than FHX, but I think it even out because FHX is treated better in TYMYD than YK was treated in JYFY. I actually read this translation before JYFY, so I was disappointed in YK in JYFY. After finishing this story, YK is just so much better in this story. The story did make YK look good especially in term of martial arts. He was able to dodge the sabre of FHX and break the sabre with his dagger.

Quote Originally Posted by LiarLiar View Post
    I finally caught up and finish this story. I really liked it, probably the most out of all the Dagger Lee series.
    Really ???

Quote Originally Posted by balikpapan View Post
    Really ???
    Yeah, I do. Even at the beginning when Bliss started this story, I like it a lots. I like this one the most, second is SSRS, third is TYMYD, and last is JYFY. This of course is only my personal opinion. I believe very few people would share my opinion. I believe most people would rank TYMYD higher than third. I like TYMYD a lots also, but I like this one and SSRS a bit more.

Awesome! Thanks for doing this RWX! But now I gotta go back and read all 4 again!

Also, the Sabre is still my favorite -- even if it got broken by the dagger. YK just took him by surprise that's all.

I agree that GL tried hard to make YK into the stronger of the two, but it just doesn't work....people generally like flawed heroes like LXH, AF, and FHX...YK just seems to be a bit conspicuously perfect to me....he's cool, but FHX is badass.

Does anyone know the exact measurements of the flying dagger?

In SSRS it is mentioned in chapter 79 it is 7 inches long, but Bordertown last chapter mentioned it is 4.5 inches...

Its pretty obvious YK is ahead of FHX in this story. But in TYMYD, GL evens it up by making FHX seem pretty much at perfection level in the last chapter.

Another thing I like about FHX compared to those aim-for-the-throat-kill swordsman like SMCX is that in this story and especially in TYMYD, he aims for legs, arms, neck, chest etc etc. Much more realistic!
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

The dagger is described as being "三寸七分", ie, "three inches, seven 'fen'"; a 'fen' is a Chinese unit which correlates to a third of a centimeter. I offhandedly calculated the total size it as being roughly four and a half inches. In retrospect, it would seem I slightly screwed up the metric conversion, and the size would more closely correlate to four inches, not four and a half.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Its pretty obvious YK is ahead of FHX in this story. But in TYMYD, GL evens it up by making FHX seem pretty much at perfection level in the last chapter.

Another thing I like about FHX compared to those aim-for-the-throat-kill swordsman like SMCX is that in this story and especially in TYMYD, he aims for legs, arms, neck, chest etc etc. Much more realistic!
    Fully agree on both counts. Also, what impressed me the most is how Gulong was able to make a cripple with epilepsy into one of the most badass wuxia characters ever written. One of the rules of Hollywood/comics is, 'no disabled superheroes' (with the exception of Daredevil), because people aren't interested in them, and yet Gulong pulled it off for a crippled guy with epilepsy. That takes skill.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    The dagger is described as being "三寸七分", ie, "three inches, seven 'fen'"; a 'fen' is a Chinese unit which correlates to a third of a centimeter. I offhandedly calculated the total size it as being roughly four and a half inches. In retrospect, it would seem I slightly screwed up the metric conversion, and the size would more closely correlate to four inches, not four and a half.
    I think its not easy to do a 'Perfect' translation if you don't keep the 'Cun' and 'Fen' in the English text. One 'Cun' is actually about 1.3 inches ('Fen' is 1 tenth of that). So using the actual Imperial System, "三寸七分" is over 4.8 inches.

edit : Hmmm, now I am inspired to go read Tian Ya Ming Yue Dao all over again.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!