Thread: Xiao Feng's drinking ability: Way more whack than DG9J

Default Xiao Feng's drinking ability: Way more whack than DG9J

We all like to joke about DG9J and what not, but honestly, although it defies belief, it isn't totally bullshit unbelievable. Xiao Feng's drinking ability, however, is.

In chapter 14, the chapter I am translating right now, the novel explicitly shows Xiao Feng drinking forty bowls of Chinese 'gaoliang' liquor, which is a form of hard liquor. It is also explicitly stated that each bowl contained half a 'jin', which means each bowl contained a quarter kilogram worth of alcohol. So the forty bowls of hard liquor which Xiao Feng drank, translates into TEN KILOGRAMS OF HARD LIQUOR. For us Americans, that's TWENTY TWO POUNDS of HARD LIQUOR.

Now, for the average human being, 7% of his body mass is blood. Xiao Feng is a huge, muscular guy, so let's say that he weighs 100 kg's, or around 220 pounds. This would give him roughly a total of 7 kg's worth of blood, ie roughly 15 lbs of blood in his body.

Meaning that Jinyong literally describes Xiao Feng imbibing much more alcohol than than he has blood!

Let's take this a step further. Ignoring the fact that it should be humanly impossible to take in that much liquid (people will easily die from even drinking that much water), let's calculate his blood alcohol toxicity. Jinyong describes them drinking 'gaoliang' alcohol, which is a VERY powerful and potent liquor, generally between 40% or 60% alcohol. For the benefit of the doubt, let's use the lower number, 40%. 40% of ten kilograms is 4 kilograms, so Xiao Feng literally has 4 kilograms worth of pure alcohol in his blood.

Now, for reference, a BAC of 0.5% (meaning 0.5 milligrams of alcohol for every 100 milligrams of blood) is fatal to almost anybody in real life, although serious alcoholics have been known to go as high as as a BAC of 0.9%.

Again, ignoring the fact that it's impossible to add so much fluid into a person's body, Xiao Feng, after drinking what he did with Duan Yu, will literally have 17 kg's worth of fluid in his system, 4 of which is alcohol. That gives him a blood alcohol level of 25%, or a BAC of 25 (meaning, 25 milligrams of alcohol for every 100 milligrams of blood).

That is @%@$#$ insane.

What's even more insane is that not only is he totally sober, he doesn't go to the bathroom. He goes and gets into a JOGGING COMPETITION with Duan Yu.

*facepalm*
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 03-15-09 at 08:47 PM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Alcohol travels through the body's water compartment equally.

The body's water compartment is about 70% of a person's weight.

With the intravascular (blood) volume about 70ml/kg.

So your analogy needs some fixing.

Also BAC of 0.5 is not universally fatal. If not, then every drunk driver in the world would be dead.
    http://www.drinkdriving.org/worldwid...ing_limits.php

I had seen BAC of 1.5, np np.

But nonetheless, what a freakingly great drinker.

Han Solo
    Last edited by Han Solo; 03-15-09 at 07:55 PM.
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

That's right, you're a doc! So tell me: 220 lb man, 10 liters worth of 40% alcohol in about an hour. What's the BAC at? If it's divided into the organs and other parts of the body which hold water, it would appear to be a 2.5% then?

PS: Your thing is a bit off. When you say 0.5, I think you mean 0.5 mg of ethanol per thousand (not hundred) mg of blood, which actually translates into a BAC of merely 0.05%. Hell, I personally can do a 1.5 (BAC of 0.15%) without too much problem.

An actual BAC of 0.5%, or 5 mg of ethanol per 1000 mg of blood, is almost certainly fatal, and I really doubt you've seen a 1.5%, since that's the highest ever recorded and the guy was in a coma.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 03-15-09 at 08:24 PM.

Maybe the alcohol in that period was not as concentrated as alcohol today

Quote Originally Posted by The Khan View Post
    Maybe the alcohol in that period was not as concentrated as alcohol today
    Gaoliang liquor is a traditional Chinese drink that has existed into the modern era. 40%-60% is standard.

Wait if it was said each bowl contained half a JIN, one jin = 0.5 kg. Each bowl = 250g of alcohol, not half kg. 10kg total is right but just thought I point that out.
    Last edited by flamer; 03-15-09 at 08:43 PM.

Yes, I mistyped; it should be quarter kg.

The liver is breaking down the alcohol at the same time too. 1hr isn't long, but his liver is of a chronic holic.

I am just surprised they didn't describe him going to the toilet. 10 kg is a lot for a bladder to handle. They get size of 2 grapefruits though.

I've seen many that go through a rather impressive 1xcask of wine a day + beers, which equates to 2L of gaoliang. That's over a day, so XF is amazing.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

I guess one can say internal energy comes into play too.

am i the only one that remembers that xf is a fictional character?

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Yes, I mistyped; it should be quarter kg.
    The modern Jin is 500 grams. The Jin (catty) in Song Dynasty times should be closer to 600 grams.

Anyway, I had been claiming for years that XF's drinking equilvalent to LHC's DG9J feats and more of a stretch than his martial arts.

Did he drink more with DY or at Ju Xian Zhuang?

For a fictional excuse, I suppose we can postulate that his internal energy helps his liver break the alchohol down at a much faster rate. Where the liquid goes, I have no idea. Maybe he perspires a lot. Smelly Khitan.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    The modern Jin is 500 grams. The Jin (catty) in Song Dynasty times should be closer to 600 grams.

Anyway, I had been claiming for years that XF's drinking equilvalent to LHC's DG9J feats and more of a stretch than his martial arts.

Did he drink more with DY or at Ju Xian Zhuang?

For a fictional excuse, I suppose we can postulate that his internal energy helps his liver break the alchohol down at a much faster rate. Where the liquid goes, I have no idea. Maybe he perspires a lot. Smelly Khitan.
    Depends. He definitely drank more, bowl-wise, at Juxian Manor; he drank over 40-50 bowls. However, the exact bowl size was not stated, so we can't be sure, BUT, I would wager that he drank more at Juxian Manor, simply because he was totally sober while drinking with Duan Yu, but was feeling the alcohol a little bit at the end at Juxian Manor.

well, if any of the tv series contain true depictions, i would say about 50 - 60% of the actual liquid didn't make it into our hero's mouth but splattered all over his clothing and the floor. that helps reduce the alcohol intake?

斤 (catty) in almost all other East and South-east Asian countries is ~600g. Only China has changed it to 500g.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catty

Was a source of confusion when discussing with my China roommate.

Anyway, I'm wondering if the weight of 1 catty has evolved over the years? I know that the distance of 1 里 has evolved a lot throughout the years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_(Chinese_unit)

Xiao Feng had the special ability to turn the consumed alcohol into his fighting spirit and strength. There you go.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I just learned today that the people who drink lots of water (psych problem) only manage around 10L/day. I mean if XF managed to down 10L in what seemed like less than an hour, that's like 1 cup a minute. Sure the alcohol will kill him faster, but that much water will do too.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

And back to another peeve of mine, if you think XF's drinking is more whack than DG9J, I think Ah Zhu's ability to disguise as XF is way more whack than XF's drinking!
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Maybe he used internal energy to hold all of the in, to keep it from reaching his blood.

Then when we ran the race, he used internal energy to squirt of our his ***, sor of like a jet to propel him even faster.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

Xiao feng's inner power was shaolin's pure yang power. and due to his practice of HL18Z, the yang's would have become more stronger. so maybe he used his inner power in a way that he burned up the liquor in his body and just sweated out the excesses as almost as fast as he drank it. or turned it into vapor. at the manor, he was surrounded by enemies so his inner power would be primed.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/