Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has the Japanese reached the limit?

From what I have heard, that is untrue. I know a couple of Asians who went there to teach, and they reported being discriminated against relative to the whites. The Asian parents preferred whites as teachers for their kids (even though those Asian teachers speak English just as well), and socially the whites were treated much better.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    From what I have heard, that is untrue. I know a couple of Asians who went there to teach, and they reported being discriminated against relative to the whites. The Asian parents preferred whites as teachers for their kids (even though those Asian teachers speak English just as well), and socially the whites were treated much better.
    When will you stop complaining about about racism and using your race card as usual?? It has been white being racist against black and now asian being racist against asian. When will it stop?

Number one, you need to check the dictionary for what the word “complain” means. What I wrote was not a complaint. It was a description of what I have been told.

Number two, I am curious how many Asian people you know have spent time in China as foreigners working there.

Number three, it’s amazing how you think everything is the “race card” and isn’t truly a reflection of underlying prejudice. Of course there are false positives of racism, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t racism.

That is true and that is why I still have problems with my job stuff. My friends that were white were always treated well and were chosen over asians. I even went to a site that was ran by an Asian company and they ALWAYS preferred white looking teachers over asian americans even if they spoke English well. I really hate that....
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    When will you stop complaining about about racism and using your race card as usual?? It has been white being racist against black and now asian being racist against asian. When will it stop?
    TC, you DO NOT understand about teaching English overseas since you are NOT in the field nor have you ever done it. Therefore, I advise you to not say anything. IF you do want to say anything, make sure you have at least heard from some people who have done it or have done some research. Otherwise, please be quiet...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

The phenomenon you describe in Chinese markets is true, but it isn't a matter of racism per se, just simple market economics.

Let me explain. 95% of the English schools out there are highly profit-focused private companies, who charge parents astronomical prices (by Chinese income standards) for the privilege of having their children taught by native English teachers.

Now, many/most of these parents do NOT themselves speak English well, if at all. So the only way they can tell for sure if an instructor is a native English speaker is if said instructor is white/caucasian. Thus, when choosing schools for their children, they are much more likely to choose schools with all-Caucasian teachers, because that way, they know for sure that their students are being taught by native English speakers. Ipso facto, many private English companies are much more willing to hire Caucasian English teachers, because that makes them more attractive to parents.

This problem exists almost solely in the sketchy private sector schools; high quality schools with strong, established reputations are much more willing to hire Chinese Americans, because the parents are willing to trust to the strength of their reputation (which might be national). These schools (some of which are national in scope and have many branches) pay the best (upwards of 30000 RMB a month), and hire almost exclusively from overseas Chinese and/or Chinese who went to school in the United States. For those reasons, these schools do NOT advertise in English; if you want to get a job with one of them, you will be expected to have a native/near-native level of Chinese.

Similarly, this problem is nearly non-existent in state-run universities and colleges, who are not profit-driven. They are actually more willing to hire Chinese Americans, who are believed to have a better understanding of the local culture and are easier to deal/communicate with.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 01-14-10 at 11:17 PM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Why do I have a feeling that your points are just going to fly over people's heads, RWX?
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    The phenomenon you describe in Chinese markets is true, but it isn't a matter of racism per se, just simple market economics.

Let me explain. 95% of the English schools out there are highly profit-focused private companies, who charge parents astronomical prices (by Chinese income standards) for the privilege of having their children taught by native English teachers.

Now, many/most of these parents do NOT themselves speak English well, if at all. So the only way they can tell for sure if an instructor is a native English speaker is if said instructor is white/caucasian. Thus, when choosing schools for their children, they are much more likely to choose schools with all-Caucasian teachers, because that way, they know for sure that their students are being taught by native English speakers. Ipso facto, many private English companies are much more willing to hire Caucasian English teachers, because that makes them more attractive to parents.

This problem exists almost solely in the sketchy private sector schools; high quality schools with strong, established reputations are much more willing to hire Chinese Americans, because the parents are willing to trust to the strength of their reputation (which might be national). These schools (some of which are national in scope and have many branches) pay the best (upwards of 30000 RMB a month), and hire almost exclusively from overseas Chinese and/or Chinese who went to school in the United States. For those reasons, these schools do NOT advertise in English; if you want to get a job with one of them, you will be expected to have a native/near-native level of Chinese.

Similarly, this problem is nearly non-existent in state-run universities and colleges, who are not profit-driven. They are actually more willing to hire Chinese Americans, who are believed to have a better understanding of the local culture and are easier to deal/communicate with.
    I agree with you that it's not necessarily reverse racism. My previous reply to TC stating that false alarms of racism does not mean racism doesn't exist is a general reply to his favorite "race card" retort, not about this Chinese English teachers issue.

I was simply stating what I had heard from people who had taught over there. TC interpreted it as "showing the race card." But I doubt he knows much about the situation.

I agree with you that it's not necessarily reverse racism. My previous reply to TC stating that false alarms of racism does not mean racism doesn't exist is a general reply to his favorite "race card" retort, not about this Chinese English teachers issue.

I was simply stating what I had heard from people who had taught over there. TC interpreted it as "showing the race card." But I doubt he knows much about the situation.
    How many years have you/TC been around, and you're still rising to snap at the TC bait every time?
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

It's like beating a dead horse. Enjoyable in its own perverted way.

That probably makes me the bigger idiot to keep wasting my time. I'll keep doing it though hehe.

Correction: Beating off a dead horse.

I think the proper term is 'flogging a dead horse'..which leads to two meanings:
    Flogging (beating) a dead horse, ie wasted effort
    or
    Flogging (selling) a dead horse, ie committing a fraud. _