Thread: Do rapists get away easily in Jin Yong stories (and wuxia in general)?

Default Do rapists get away easily in Jin Yong stories (and wuxia in general)?

Rape is one of the most reprehensible crimes one can commit in modern society. Many people even place it as a worse crime than murder.

Homicide is a part of life in wuxia. Generally, however, "good" characters might kill their enemies in fair combat, but don't commit acts of murder. Murderers usually pay with their lives for their crimes in wuxia.

When it comes to rape, however, there seems to be a very different and disturbing message.

Consider a few infamous rapists in Jin Yong's stories:

1. Wan Chung Hok (DGSD)
    2. Wan Tze Ping (ROCH)
    3 Yeung Siu (HSDS)
    4. Wai Siu Bo (DOMD)

Some might wonder where Au Yeung Hak (LOCH) is on this list. He was a lecher, but I'm not sure he ever actually raped anyone. He had a twisted principle about never forcing the unwilling, which would (by definition) preclude rape.

Of the four rapists listed above, only one (Wan Tze Ping of ROCH) was punished for his crime. Ironically, Wan Tze Ping was the only one of the four who really felt remorseful about his crime and repented.

I don't know what Wan Chung Hok's final fate in DGSD was, but I think he and Deun Yin Hing were the only two Great Evils to make it out of DGSD alive. If that's the case, Wan Chung Hok likely continued his life of despoiling maidens long after the narrative of DSGD wrapped up.

Yeung Siu raped Gei Hiu Fu; apparently, because she decided after the fact that she was in love with him after all, all was forgiven (it would never fly in the real world).

Wai Siu Bo: need we say more? He was like Yeung Siu x 7 (and without the virtues that might have helped save Yeung's reputation). And yet, he's the "heroic" protagonist of DOMD.

Now to be fair, not all rapists are male (although most of them are): Dao Bak Fung of DGSD might also fall under the description of "rapist" for how she took advantage of a Deun Yin Hing who was at the lowest, most desperate ebb of his life.

One can imagine things were at least as bad in the Gu Long world, although I think that ironically, Gu Long did a better job than Jin Yong did in depicting characters guilty of rape being punished for their crime (can't think of a specific example offhand, though).

Yun Zhong He (4th Evil) did not make it out of DGSD alive.

He had the misfortune of trying his usual stunts on Wang Yu Yan while Duan Yu was in angry 6MSJ mode.

Anyway, realistically speaking. Given the incredible advantages of martial arts as depicted in wuxia fiction, its surprising that half of wulin (at least) is not looting/pillaging/raping/murdering away everyday.

Can you imagine how insecure the rich/local authorities etc would feel if the average security squad is incapable of protecting against most martial artists?
    Last edited by CC; 03-18-09 at 06:44 AM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman
    When it comes to rape, however, there seems to be a very different and disturbing message.
    I'd agree with that. This is one aspect of the male-fantasy depictions of women in Jinyong's novels, but it also reflects JY's tendency to be lenient in how he characterises villains. However, in making judgments about the message the novels are getting across, it's always worth considering context.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman
    Some might wonder where Au Yeung Hak (LOCH) is on this list. He was a lecher, but I'm not sure he ever actually raped anyone. He had a twisted principle about never forcing the unwilling, which would (by definition) preclude rape.
    I'm not sure that's quite right about Ouyang Ke. He clearly had rape on his mind when he was pursuing Huang Rong - who also happened to be a child - on the island. It was implied that that wouldn't have been his first time. Also, he was molesting Mu Nianci and Cheng Yaojia when Yang Kang killed him.

Do you think Xiao Ao Jiang Hu's Tian Boguang got what he deserved?

owbjhx: Haha! It's good you mentioned Tian BoGuang, I was going to mention it since Ken seem to have left him, the notorious rapist of XAJH, out.

Cheng Kun is also considered a rapist since he raped Xie Xun's wife.

I am not sure but was there a rape incident in The Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Maybe, but killers get away even more.

Murderers usually pay with their lives for their crimes in wuxia
    Unless they have high martial arts in which case they usually roam around freely after killing.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

depends on who you are and who you rape. if you're the main character or is an ally of the main character, Jin Yong will let you off. If you happen to rape/try to rape the main character's love interest...you're doomed for.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    owbjhx: Haha! It's good you mentioned Tian BoGuang, I was going to mention it since Ken seem to have left him, the notorious rapist of XAJH, out.

Cheng Kun is also considered a rapist since he raped Xie Xun's wife.

I am not sure but was there a rape incident in The Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain?
    The thing with TBG is that we never saw him actually harm anyone. He attempted to hurt YiLin but LHC saved her, and subsequently TBG was shown to be a man of his word in the duel. Then as time went on, he actually became likeable. Yang Xiao even have mostly female fans defending his act cuz I guess they like to romanticize what he did.

Overall, I would agree that the protagonists (those sided with the main character) do get away with the act without much condemnation. The victims are the ones dealing with the consequences.

That’s (Neo) Confusedism for ya. Total BS. I don’t think Confused-Is was ever so extreme on oppression of women (I think women was like an after-thought to him in his teachings), so I won’t blame him.

In the two FF stories, I recall Yuan Zi Yi's mom as one instance.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by owbjhx View Post
    Do you think Xiao Ao Jiang Hu's Tian Boguang got what he deserved?
    Well, he does get castrated and forced to become a monk. As a woman, I find it a satisfactory punishment.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Tian Boguang had his bloody balls cut off...I'd say that's not 'getting away easily'.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Tian Boguang had his bloody balls cut off...I'd say that's not 'getting away easily'.
    He was the exception, though. Yeung Siu and Wai Siu Bo got clean away with it, and even Wan Tze Ping/Yan Tze Bing finally died for reasons only marginally related to the rape he committed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    He was the exception, though. Yeung Siu and Wai Siu Bo got clean away with it, and even Wan Tze Ping/Yan Tze Bing finally died for reasons only marginally related to the rape he committed.
    Didn't he sacrifice himself for her? As much as he liked her, i doubt he would end his own life without the guilt factor. Also, he lost his "bright future" of being the next leader of the Quanzhen sect due to Zhao Zhijing's blackmail.