Thread: cold drinks = glass; hot drinks = mugs; concept that older Asians don't get

Default cold drinks = glass; hot drinks = mugs; concept that older Asians don't get

I was born and grew up in the U.S., so most of my cultural habits are Western ones despite my Chinese heritage.

To a great extent, that extends to little things...like what temperature drinks go into what kinds of serving containers.

For example, in the West, it's customary to serve cold drinks...i.e. fruit juice, ice water, fresh milk, or soda in transparent, handle-less glasses or tumblers. Opaque ceramic mugs with handles are generally reserved for hot drinks such as coffee, cocoa, or tea.

If you know older Asians, however, they tend to mix the two up...or just not give a damn.

I suppose it's no big deal: orange juice is orange juice whether it's served in a glass or a mug, and hot tea is hot tea whether it comes in a glass or mug (then again, a glass of HOT tea is *really* hard to hold on to).

Even so, psychologically, it's...weird, at least for me. I never feel right about drinking juice or soda from a mug, or drinking hot tea or coffee out of a glass.

How do you all feel about it?

I don't give a dime. Although it's logical to have cold drinks in glass and hot drinks in mug. Coke and certain juices stain the mug real easily (coffee does eventually, I know), and glass crack sometimes when there's a huge temp diff.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

I drink everything in a mug
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

me....... i don't really have glasses or mugs........ i use disposable paper/plastic cups! i hate doing dishes! i also use plastic/paper plates! and those disposable wooden chopsticks that i buy in a huge 100 set pack for just 2 bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    me....... i don't really have glasses or mugs........ i use disposable paper/plastic cups! i hate doing dishes! i also use plastic/paper plates! and those disposable wooden chopsticks that i buy in a huge 100 set pack for just 2 bucks!
    Oh God, you realise water is more renewable than plastic and wood right? Do you also steal and wear one off surgical gowns from the hospital, so you don't have to wash clothes?
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Oh God, you realise water is more renewable than plastic and wood right? Do you also steal and wear one off surgical gowns from the hospital, so you don't have to wash clothes?
    Well...at least we finally found the answer to how Little Dragon Girl keeps her gowns so white.

you two are too funny. ha-ha.

wear clothes that other people have worn? heck no!

the whole doing the dishes thing? yeah, it's not gonna work for me. i've done that for years at my parent's house. why would i want to do it when i move out? i just help out by shopping at the local fresh market every week.