Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should the Chinese forgive the Mongolians?

Default Should the Chinese forgive the Mongolians?

It's been quite a while since the Yuan dynasty in China. But nevertheless, some chinese hold a grudge against the Mongolians. Should the Chinese forgive and forget? Maybe some of the superiority complex towards the Tibetans are based on the Mongolian grudge.

So should the Chinese forgive the Mongolians?

I think the current grudge comes from the fact that part of Mongolia was able to declare independence, not Genghis Khan.

Of course the CHinese should forgive the Mongolians. What is more for them to hold a grudge and how long has it been???I think it is ridiculous for them to still hold a grudge... It's like asking do the Vietnamese forgive the Chinese for all that they have done in the past. Of course the Vietnamese have forgiven the Chinese since a lot of them marry each other...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Maybe it's cuz I am from southern China, and know mostly Southern Chinese, but I don't know a single person who has even mentioned Mongolia in any context. We don't care about Mongolia, so there's nothing to forgive.

I haven't seen any online rants against Mongolia as I have seen against Japan.

I doubt anyone still holds a grudge because almost a thousand yrs ago they invaded. The Han invaded others when they could too. Not a big deal.

Asians still remember the Japanese invasion because it was recent by historic standards, and because war attrocitie were documented.

Ever seen the pix from the NJ Massacre?
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Did they? I've never heard of the Chinese holding a grudge against Mongolia before.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

has this got anything to do with tibet? maybe in a 100 years china will just forget about it?

No we should never forgive the mongolians after what they did to your ancestors 500+ years back. They build pyramids from the heads of victims, how can you forgive and forget?

The modern dislike towards mongolia should be redirected to soviet union, they were the ones that made independence possible.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

I think a good case could be make that the Chinese have already forgiven the Mongolians given that most of the territory of inner-Mongolia is now Chinese land. It's the Tibetans that Chinese gotta watch out for.

Speaking of which, is youtube still blocked in China? I know it has been in the last few days after someone posted footage of Chinese soldiers beating up Tibetan monks and protestors.
    "A girl asked me if she should spent money to change the way she look, I told her that she should use it to change her personality instead."

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    No we should never forgive the mongolians after what they did to your ancestors 500+ years back. They build pyramids from the heads of victims, how can you forgive and forget?
    A misconception. The Mongols slaughtered en masse, but they didin't desecrate the dead afterwards, as civilised peoples were wont to do. It was Timur the Lame, who married into Chaghatai's family but wasn't actually descended from Chinggis, who piled pyramids of heads. Other than their propensity for slaughtering whole populations in war, the Mongols were actually rather humane by contemporary standards - no torture, mutilation, or imaginative methods of capital punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    A misconception. The Mongols slaughtered en masse, but they didin't desecrate the dead afterwards, as civilised peoples were wont to do. It was Timur the Lame, who married into Chaghatai's family but wasn't actually descended from Chinggis, who piled pyramids of heads. Other than their propensity for slaughtering whole populations in war, the Mongols were actually rather humane by contemporary standards - no torture, mutilation, or imaginative methods of capital punishment.
    Lame, I got this info from a Western book too. So no trebucheting bodies into city walls either? And building using human body parts?
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Lame, I got this info from a Western book too. So no trebucheting bodies into city walls either? And building using human body parts?
    I have read that there were trebucheting some died animals (mainly dogs and cats). Also there were cutting of died humans ears. It was effective way to count the died toll.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

Thanks for sharing the info on what the Mongolians did to the Chinese. Nevertheless, I think sooner or later, everything will be forgiven. Forgotten, maybe not.

Seriously, never heard of any modern chinese still hating Mongols. Its like hating Manchurian or Europeans for the 'sphere of influence' era. I think its better to forget the more recent wounds like the Japaneses. but then again some wounds do stay very much open like native americans and the whole trouble in the middle east. Human nature is that most of the time we forgive but we never forget, sometimes new things will bring back old memories.
    I'm a big D.Wade and Ginobili fan.
    I am so sick of Hu Ge
    I fight with my dog for the role of master and pet daily and he usually wins.

I don't know any chinese that hate the mongolians, tibetans, or manchurians. That was long time ago and life should move on. I only dislike the fact that laws in china favor the minorities. It is unfair to the majority han chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Did they? I've never heard of the Chinese holding a grudge against Mongolia before.
    Me neither. So I suppose someone feel so uncomfortable about Chinese non-grudge attitude toward Mogolian(Outer) and happy seeing some frictions between the two neighboring countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatlakes View Post
    Me neither. So I suppose someone feel so uncomfortable about Chinese non-grudge attitude toward Mogolian(Outer) and happy seeing some frictions between the two neighboring countries.
    This thread was made comparatively with the "Should the Chinese forgive the Japanese" topic. It's not because the thread starter likes to see frictions between China and Mongolia.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    It's like asking do the Vietnamese forgive the Chinese for all that they have done in the past. Of course the Vietnamese have forgiven the Chinese since a lot of them marry each other...
    Oh you'd be surprised. My Chinese mother was married into an ignorant Vietnamese family who hates her apparently because her ancestors conquered their lands ages ago. My grandfather also loved making poems bashing Chinese people.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    Oh you'd be surprised. My Chinese mother was married into an ignorant Vietnamese family who hates her apparently because her ancestors conquered their lands ages ago. My grandfather also loved making poems bashing Chinese people.
    Haha, he sounds like a top bloke.

To be fair, besides the the history between Vietnam and China, during the Sino-soviet split Vietnam did side with the Soviets, resulting in Sino-Vietnam war in 1984.

So a lot of animosity is probably a product of the cold war.

If the Chinese don't forgive the Mongolians who won't forgive the Polish who won't forgive the Russians who won't forgive the Germans who won't forgive the French who won't forgive the English who won't forgive the Spanish who won't forgive the United States who won't forgive the Japanese who won't give up whaling, we aren't going to progress much.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!