Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should TVB adapt another Jin Yong or Gu Long story?

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    Awful Jin Yong adaptations I actually sat through that are cringe worthy :

HSDS 1994 – Steven Ma
    Legend of the Condor Lovers 1998 – Richie Ren
    Flying Fox Snowy Mt 1999 – Sunny Chan
    HSDS 2000 – Lawrence Ng
    DOMD 2000 – Dicky Cheung (Note: the eye candy ALMOST save the series from the ridiculous deviations, but not quite)
    State of Divinity 2000 – Richie Ren
    Legendary Swordsman 2000 – Steven Ma
    Flying Fox Snowy Mt 2007 – Nie Yuan

I wasted time and money. Wish I can get them back . I would make a list for Gu Long’s adaptations as well, but this is more a Jin Yong thread.
    You miss...
    Never saw them except for LOCH 08 which I skim a lot, but know many people give a lot of complains for it so Taiwan really bad at adapting wuxia series.

TW ROCH 83
    TW HSDS 84
    TW SPW 85
    TW LOCH 88
    TW DGSD 91
    TW ROCH 98 Richie Ren
    LOCH 08(Many changes, poor CG effects, and too draggy, but there is some good parts)

TW ROCH 83 - I watched it a long time ago, but I don't remember much, so it's not cringe worthy now. But I think there's a reason I don't remember
    TW HSDS 84 - Didn't watch
    TW SPW 85 - Didn't watch
    TW LOCH 88 - Oh! This is the version where Idy played 3 roles. I vaguely remember watching it a long time ago, but again my memory fails me.
    TW DGSD 91 - Yup, watched this too! Eddie Kwan & Austin Wai?
    TW ROCH 98 Richie Ren - Eeesh !
    LOCH 08 - Didn't watch

LOL... My memory is usually pretty good with series, but I don't remember much detail of the Taiwan adaptations.

Oh got some more...

Singapore ROCH 1998 Fann Wong
    Mainland Deadly Secret 2004(too bloody)
    Book and Sword TW84, TW92, Mainland 94, and TW02(never hard of)

Anyway no one mention anything about mainland adaption so you think is all good or even the best?

CTV and Shaw brothers also adapt many jin yong series back in 60s and 70s so were they any good?

Did ATV adapt any Jin Yong novels at all?

Singapore ROCH 1998 - This one is actually pretty decent. Aside from the horrible camerawork during all fight scenes (makes one nauseous and dizzy) and low budget feel of the series, it wasn't too bad. I like Christopher Lee as YG .

Mainland Deadly Secret 2004 - what's that?

I don't like Book & Sword, so I haven't watched any adaptations. Mainland versions, I only caught a few scenes from LOCH and refuse to finish ROCH. HXM's young YG made me want to throw something at the tv. And I generally like young YG.

Series during 50-60s were before my time. Perhaps some older Spcnet members can enlighten us.

Series during 50-60s were before my time. Perhaps some older Spcnet members can enlighten us.
    There were no Jin Yong adaptations for television during the 1950s and 1960s. Several reasons for that:

1. Jin Yong wasn't done writing many of his novels at the time.

2. Television wasn't widely available in the Chinese-speaking parts of Asia yet. TV didn't come to Hong Kong until the early 1960s (and the programming was mostly English programming), and TVB didn't get started until 1967 (and didn't make their first wuxia series, THE OOLONG SWORDSMAN, until 1976). China wasn't making any TV programs at the time (other than Mao propaganda), and not sure what Taiwan television was doing at the time.

One of the first Jin Yong adaptations for FILM, however, was produced during the 1960s...an adaptation of ROCH with Patrick Tse in the role of Yeung Gor.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    There were no Jin Yong adaptations for television during the 1950s and 1960s. Several reasons for that:

1. Jin Yong wasn't done writing many of his novels at the time.

2. Television wasn't widely available in the Chinese-speaking parts of Asia yet. TV didn't come to Hong Kong until the early 1960s (and the programming was mostly English programming), and TVB didn't get started until 1967 (and didn't make their first wuxia series, THE OOLONG SWORDSMAN, until 1976). China wasn't making any TV programs at the time (other than Mao propaganda), and not sure what Taiwan television was doing at the time.

One of the first Jin Yong adaptations for FILM, however, was produced during the 1960s...an adaptation of ROCH with Patrick Tse in the role of Yeung Gor.
    CTV did make many Jin Yong series in late 70s feature Michelle Yim as main lead like LOCH.

Quote Originally Posted by aniking_8 View Post
    CTV did make many Jin Yong series in late 70s feature Michelle Yim as main lead like LOCH.
    By the 1970s, the wuxia adaptation machine was cranking. For some reason (possibly because other novels had been optioned by CTV), TVB only made two Jin Yong adaptations during the 1970s: BOOK & SWORD: GRATITUDE & REVENGE (1976) and HEAVEN SWORD AND DRAGON SABRE (1978), both of which featured almost identical casts. During the 1970s, TVB focused on adapting Gu Long novels into series...in some cases getting them "hot off the press." TVB's LUK SIU FUNG series actually hit the airwaves the same year that the novel was published, and SENTIMENTAL SWORDSMAN, RUTHLESS SWORD was also a very recent Gu Long publication when TVB adapted it for THE ROMANTIC SWORDSMAN in 1977.

By the 1970s, the wuxia adaptation machine was cranking. For some reason (possibly because other novels had been optioned by CTV), TVB only made two Jin Yong adaptations during the 1970s: BOOK & SWORD: GRATITUDE & REVENGE (1976) and HEAVEN SWORD AND DRAGON SABRE (1978), both of which featured almost identical casts. During the 1970s, TVB focused on adapting Gu Long novels into series...in some cases getting them "hot off the press." TVB's LUK SIU FUNG series actually hit the airwaves the same year that the novel was published, and SENTIMENTAL SWORDSMAN, RUTHLESS SWORD was also a very recent Gu Long publication when TVB adapted it for THE ROMANTIC SWORDSMAN in 1977.
    Heh, that was the time when Adam Cheng was playing everyone from Chu Liuxiang to Zhang Wuji to Chen Jialuo to I think Ye Gucheng.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Heh, that was the time when Adam Cheng was playing everyone from Chu Liuxiang to Zhang Wuji to Chen Jialuo to I think Ye Gucheng.
    During the 1970s, Adam Cheng, Damian Lau, and Wong Yeun Sun were TVB's "go to guys" for wuxia. They were replaced during the next decade by the Five Tigers (Tong, Wong, Miu, Lau, and Leung).

Awful Jin Yong adaptations I actually sat through that are cringe worthy :

HSDS 1994 – Steven Ma
    Legend of the Condor Lovers 1998 – Richie Ren
    Flying Fox Snowy Mt 1999 – Sunny Chan
    HSDS 2000 – Lawrence Ng
    DOMD 2000 – Dicky Cheung (Note: the eye candy ALMOST save the series from the ridiculous deviations, but not quite)
    State of Divinity 2000 – Richie Ren
    Legendary Swordsman 2000 – Steven Ma
    Flying Fox Snowy Mt 2007 – Nie Yuan

I wasted time and money. Wish I can get them back . I would make a list for Gu Long’s adaptations as well, but this is more a Jin Yong thread.
    FF99 was the only version I've watched so far...so can't complain although I didn't like it that much.
    DOMD 2000 - never watched either. I only like the Tony Leung versions. I think I bought the Jordan Chan's version, but never have the will to watch it ;D
    SoD 2000 - I actually finished watching this because of the soundtrack & Anita Yuen.

Christopher Lee's ROCH version was a bit better than the Richie Ren's version. I watched quite a bit on TV whenever I could back then.

Until now, I could never understand why some producers can cast Richie Ren as YG, LHC & CLZ. He doesn't have that "handsome, suave, smart, hero" feel at all.

Steven Ma is just totally bad acting...too much spinning around & crying.

I swore long time ago, never again watch any wuxia series with these 2 guys in it.

Jin Yong hated DGSD '99? That's the one with Felix Wong as Xiao Feng instead of Xu Zhu, right? I really enjoyed that adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    Jin Yong hated DGSD '99? That's the one with Felix Wong as Xiao Feng instead of Xu Zhu, right? I really enjoyed that adaptation.
    He hated HSDS 1999.

The DGSD that you referred to was made around 1996.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    He hated HSDS 1999.

The DGSD that you referred to was made around 1996.

Han Solo
    DGSD97 wasn't that bad. I think it is pretty decent for the 90s series even though DGSD82 is better.

Wow, Patrick as YG. I can sorta see that. He certainly can pull off handsome and cool characters quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by blueberry View Post
    FF99 was the only version I've watched so far...so can't complain although I didn't like it that much.
    FFSM 99 had 1 redeeming factor – casting Felix as HYD and Maggie as his wife. It went downhill after they died, which was like 4 episodes? The series combined characters and drastically changed events for the worst. And one of my favorite characters, Cheng Ling Su, was gone and replaced by an annoying tomboy ! Charmaine Sheh was the lead and I can’t stand that woman. Still, FFSM 07 is even worse, which I didn’t think was possible. It was a miracle I sat through both series! Heck it was a miracle I sat through all the other bad series. I should get an award for enduring self inflicted pain. Probably had too much free time.

DOMD 98 was actually pretty good. Quite funny and I didn’t mind the deviations from the novel. I like Noel, Cherie, and Rain. I got the dvds and watch them whenever I feel like laughing. DOMD 84 is still my favorite version though.

One thing I have to say for Richie Ren’s series is that the soundtracks are very catchy. I love all the songs. I would recommend buying the soundtracks, but avoid watching the series. RR as CLX and YG =

The list of crappy JY adaptations is pretty long. More bad ones compared to the good ones anyway. Hence, JY is completely biased if he banned only TVB. Other tv stations' remakes are just as bad, if not worse. Is it about the money? Was TVB too cheap?

No.

To put it more succintly, hell no.

TVB sucks. They've already remade so many. Why do they have to adapt anything else for tv? Just pay those retarded monkeys more and recycle more used toilet paper (script paper) and try to write a coherent story.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Alright now lets name some Jin Yong adaptions that are actually good!

I'll begin with some of TVB first...

LOCH 82 was obvious choice since everyone like Felix Wong as Guo Jing.

DOMD 84 was pretty decent with Tony Leung and Andy Lau.

HSDS 86 better then most later adaptions like TW 1993 & TVB 2000, but wonder 09 be good.

SOD 96 seem pretty decent series that's very close to novel.

Some others...

DGSD 03 seem better then TVB 82 with many changes and 96 doesn't seem to right for me.

A point of clarification on DGSD '81 (TVB).

The final 1/4 of the series was radically rewritten, it's true...there's no getting around that. That this costs DGSD '81 some "cool points" among purists is no surprise.

But there seems to be a mistaken belief that the ENTIRE series was a Wong Jing-like disaster of "non"-adaptation that got nothing right about the story other than the names of characters.

This is simply untrue. Until things started going off-track following the events at Hui Juk's wedding in Hsi-Hsia (it was around here that the story began to seriously deviate from the novel), DGSD '81 got it *mostly* right...at least as much as LOCH '82 and ROCH '83 did, if not quite at the level of HSDS '86 or the 1990s versions of SOD and DGSD.

So the inaccuracy of DGSD '81, as severe as it was, applies only to the ending. The first 3/4 of it was generally accurate.

Yea, DGSD 82 was not that bad in terms of adaption. The first 3/4 were pretty accurate, but the last 1/4 was totally changed... However, the series is still ok and had a strong cast. It's just that the ending was all messed up.

To Tweety365,

Deadly Secret 2004 is Lian Cheng Jue(Lien Thanh Khuyet in Viet, it also had an
    80s adaption starring Roger Kwok and Kitty Lai. It is one of JY's least popular stories so not many people know it). The one from China made in 2004 stars Ho Mei Tian and Wu Yue.

I don't think there were any series made in the 50s(hey, I can be wrong since that was before my time), but I think there were some in the 60s for sure. TVB was born in 1967. BUt besides TVB, there were other companies that made series back then...

I saw some from the 70s, but none from the 60s. The ones made in the 70s were known for accuracy, but they had their changes too just like with any series... No series is 100% accurate to the novel. THat is just not possible...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    Yea, DGSD 82 was not that bad in terms of adaption. The first 3/4 were pretty accurate, but the last 1/4 was totally changed... However, the series is still ok and had a strong cast. It's just that the ending was all messed up.
    Even though the ending was not a true representation of Jin Yong's novel, at least the changes were neither illogical nor unentertaining. OK: Mo Yung Bok suddenly improving his martial arts to Janitor Monk-level by sneaking out to train in Shaolin's manuals at night strains credibility. I admit that's weak, but if you get past that, everything else that happens after that makes internal sense, even if it doesn't josh with Jin Yong's ending. It was a failure to adapt the ending of the novel accurately, but it wasn't a disaster in of itself.

I don't think there were any series made in the 50s(hey, I can be wrong since that was before my time), but I think there were some in the 60s for sure. TVB was born in 1967. BUt besides TVB, there were other companies that made series back then...
    Television service in Hong Kong started during the early 1960s with Rediffusion Television (RTV), the predecessor to today's ATV. It was a British-owned and operated company, so its programming was pretty much all oriented towards Hong Kong's English-speaking population. That wouldn't change until later in the decade.

TVB really got the ball rolling in Hong Kong as far as television for local natives (i.e. the Cantonese-speaking population), but TVB didn't start to adapt wuxia novels into series until nine years after the station was founded.

Obviously, no wuxia was being adapted in China at the time. Television hardly even existed in China during the 1960s, and what the country did have was controlled tightly by the Communist Party.

I don't know about Taiwan, however.