Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Wuxia RPG

Haha so when are we gonna do this?

Quote Originally Posted by darkcser View Post
    Last time this went around I tried to rally some support to cook up a real RPG system to no avail. Currently I've been posting on myth-weavers since someone there is trying to run a wuxia game in D&D 3.5 with Tome of Battle.

Once every couple of years I work up enough motivation for an attempt at a wuxia rpg system. It's about that time again.

Here's the result of past attempts:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthre...43#post1779243

Incidently some of those references point back here...
    3.5 with Tome of Battle would work well. I'm currently playing a character class from ToB in a regular tabletop D&D game and the feel is very wuxia-like.

Other published systems that would be good for the genre (IMHO) are Hero System and GURPS. But they're both rather complicated to learn.

Or there's Risus: The Anything RPG, which has the advantage of being both simple and free.
    http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    3.5 with Tome of Battle would work well. I'm currently playing a character class from ToB in a regular tabletop D&D game and the feel is very wuxia-like.

Other published systems that would be good for the genre (IMHO) are Hero System and GURPS. But they're both rather complicated to learn.

Or there's Risus: The Anything RPG, which has the advantage of being both simple and free.
    http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm
    I tried to do something with GURPS: Martial Arts and GURPS:Psionics (focus on ESP, PK and Healing) a couple of years ago but couldn't find people to playtest. It's just odd sticking people who are used to playing "traditional fantasy RPGs" in a WuXia setting since they invariably behave like they're playing DnD or even worse draw their inspiration from bad HK movies...

The various advantages and disadvantages from GURPS are nice -especially Duty, Vow, Patron, Ally, Status and Reputation. They go a long way to mimic the social aspects of WuXia.

As you pointed out GURPS and Hero are rather complicated systems. It's tough to find people who know the systems well, and even more difficult to find players who want to play your particular flavor of campaign.

I've also tried various Palladium systems. They tend to be more DnD-like but have useful dodge, counter and parry rules. IIRC Ninjas and Superspies also had some rudimentry Chi attacks in addition to information on various styles/schools.

btw: What are you playing? Straight martial adept? I've had much success mixing ToB into my builds but have never played a straight martial adept. My crowning character was a DragonShaman1/Warblade1/Swordsage2/Crusader1/Chameleon10/Master of Nine 3. Truly a jack of all trades and master of none. This was next to a Warblade18, Sorcerer11/Initiate of the Seven Fold Veil 7 and a Drow Thief6/Assasin10... Also had some luck playing a Crusader/Totemist/Incarnate and Wizard/Warblade/Jade Phoenix Mage.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

There definitely needs to be guidelines simliar to DnD and there also needs to be a dedicated and knowledgeable GM to assist characters who are unfamiliar with a particular dynasty.

I'd love to see what you all come up with and how you all play. I'm glad to be a spectator for a good read.
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

Quote Originally Posted by IcyFox View Post
    Haha so when are we gonna do this?
    That's my question too! I'm just anxiously waiting. Anyone who thinks they're competent enough to lead the charge?
    有缘千里来相会
    无缘对面手难牵

Quote Originally Posted by darkcser View Post
    btw: What are you playing? Straight martial adept? I've had much success mixing ToB into my builds but have never played a straight martial adept. My crowning character was a DragonShaman1/Warblade1/Swordsage2/Crusader1/Chameleon10/Master of Nine 3. Truly a jack of all trades and master of none. This was next to a Warblade18, Sorcerer11/Initiate of the Seven Fold Veil 7 and a Drow Thief6/Assasin10... Also had some luck playing a Crusader/Totemist/Incarnate and Wizard/Warblade/Jade Phoenix Mage.
    A bit off-topic, but I'm running a straight swordsage. It's in a non-Oriental setting, though, so it's not a completely wuxia character.

I'm also running a monk in another campaign and took the Martial Study feat from ToB so my monk can learn a martial maneuver, to simulate that he acquired a secret martial arts manual.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

So you guys are doing another one...hmmm