Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Common grammar mistakes!

Quote Originally Posted by skylee View Post
    I never learned the correct way to say these kinds of sentences... is it, "It's Sally and I's house", "It's my and Sally's house" or are neither correct, in which case, what would be the correct wording/sentence structure? Clearly, I could say "our house", but what if I'm speaking to a third party and Sally is not physically present?
    mr. cheng's solution is simpler and more elegant, but if you really wanted to use your sentence correctly, it would be: "It's Sally's and my house." Proper nouns before pronouns and that bit of modesty of putting oneself last. As you've already said, it's "our" house, so you just replace the collective with the individuals.

If your sentence was "We live in that house", then you would say "Sally and I live in that house" -- the "our" and "we" determines whether you use "I" or "me/my" in the sentence.
    nostalgic for wuxiasociety? http://wuxiasociety.freeforums.net/

Quote Originally Posted by skylee View Post
    I never learned the correct way to say these kinds of sentences... is it, "It's Sally and I's house", "It's my and Sally's house" or are neither correct, in which case, what would be the correct wording/sentence structure? Clearly, I could say "our house", but what if I'm speaking to a third party and Sally is not physically present?
    Drop Sally and say the sentence. It's I's house? It's my house?