Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underrated actresses

Default Underrated actresses

Who do you think acts well but has been underrated?

Definitely Shui Ling. She's beautiful and can act yet she isn't getting the same fame as many other less talented actresses.

Shu Chang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you started, you must finished.
    If you do it, you must give it all.

Shu Chang sure acts well but her face makes it hard for her to get any lead roles. It's not very unique or pretty. =/ Just slightly above average.

I think Florence Tan...
    Actors that I like: Felix Wong, Louis Koo, Aaron Kwok Chow Cher Meng, Jimmy Lin , Hawick Lau

All time favorite actresses: Noel Leung Siu Bing, Erica Choi,Fiona Leung, &Florence Tan

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
    Shu Chang sure acts well but her face makes it hard for her to get any lead roles. It's not very unique or pretty. =/ Just slightly above average.
    I don't think Shu Chang is only above average. I think she is really cute and pretty. She is also talented as well. I don't think it is her face that makes it hard to get any lead roles. I think it is the lack of luck and connections...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    I don't think Shu Chang is only above average. I think she is really cute and pretty. She is also talented as well. I don't think it is her face that makes it hard to get any lead roles. I think it is the lack of luck and connections...
    I agree with you Trinie! Shu Chang is very talented. She's prettier than some actresses, but not the prettiest but she has the gift of acting. Most of the roles that she have taken become memorable.

She's getting recognition lately for her abilities and getting more lead roles. She's not recognized like LYF (comparing actresses with same age), but she's still in Uni, so lots of opportunities in the future for her.

I think in this industry there are more overrated actresses than underrated ones, such that when an actress is merely recognized but not as publicized (as the overrated ones), she becomes underrated.

shu chang is a sure thing. i liked her in the first film i saw her in, which was that film with Ning Jing, something Zhuang Epic.

she was really good and only got better. she should have been really popular by now but she's still young, how old now? 21?

i think in a couple of years she'll come into her own.

alot of the tvb extra's are underated, i don't know their name.

Cao Vien Vien (whats her english name?) who was in HSDS with Alyssa Chia is underrated, she's a good actress and can do both evil and good roles and she's pretty to boot.

i agree with Nefertari though, there are more overrated then underrated actresses nowdays, its kinda sad.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

[QUOTE=Linda;879812]

Cao Vien Vien (whats her english name?) who was in HSDS with Alyssa Chia is underrated, she's a good actress and can do both evil and good roles and she's pretty to boot.

[QUOTE]

Gao Yuan Yuan?
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

Chan Mun Yee - she has great acting chops but never got really famous.
    Teresa Mo - brilliant acting but never really become a major star.

Florence Tan, Mimi Lo , Halina Tam, Akina Hong

Jiang Xin is a talented actress, but she has no luck to get a big role.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://nwaves.googlepages.com/6a.jpg')
    Love Jimmy and Jiang Xin, Support TAE

I think an underrated actress is Gillian Chung.In the twin effects2 i found her
    really good in some more dark and serius roll than usual.i believe her face help her from more serius and mature roles than those in twins movie.

Quote Originally Posted by relive View Post
    Jiang Xin is a talented actress, but she has no luck to get a big role.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://nwaves.googlepages.com/6a.jpg')
    Yes I strongly agree that Jiang Xin is really underrated!! I think she's cute and pretty actually...

Quote Originally Posted by XiLaRen(GR) View Post
    I think an underrated actress is Gillian Chung.In the twin effects2 i found her
    really good in some more dark and serius roll than usual.i believe her face help her from more serius and mature roles than those in twins movie.
    Gillian got a decent role in the China version of Wan Hua Xi Jian Lu opposite Nicholas Tse. I started off wondering how the two HK poster boy and girl would do, but surprisingly, I liked both of them very much.

Shu Chang is gorgeous, although not every role she has flatters her. Her Jianning in DOMD wasn't very attractive, but her Shui Sheng in LCJ was absolutely beautiful.

I'm also quite partial to Li Bingbing, although I'm not sure if she can be called underrated as she's quite famous. Maybe for me the sign of being rated is having a lead in an epic wuxia serial.

Xu Qing is one of the underrated actresses. Her role in The Founding Republic was dazzling. I fell in love with her in XAJH
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

Quote Originally Posted by odbayarb2000 View Post
    Xu Qing is one of the underrated actresses. Her role in The Founding Republic was dazzling. I fell in love with her in XAJH
    I didn't realize Xu Qing is under-rated coz she's one of the famous 'Four Leading Actresses' along with Ning Jing, Liu Xiao Qing and Gong Li in China, right? She's not as famous internationally, but she's certainly a first-line actress.

I used to think Li Bing Bing is under-rated. Now, she shot past the rest of the field and is slightly over-rated. I do wish she gets leading roles in film, rather than second lead. For example, in Forbidden Kingdom, Liu Yifei has a lot more screentime than her. And in Fengsheng, she has to share lead with Zhou Xun.

Shu Chang is still under-recognized for her talents.

Another actress I feel is under-rated (in that her fame doesn't match her acting prowess) is Li Xiao Ran. She's been getting awards in the last few years, but not as widely publicized like Gao Yuan Yuan, Yang Mi and Ady An.
    Last edited by Nefertari; 07-20-10 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari View Post
    I didn't realize Xu Qing is under-rated coz she's one of the famous 'Four Leading Actresses' along with Ning Jing, Liu Xiao Qing and Gong Li in China, right? She's not as famous internationally, but she's certainly a first-line actress.
    Well, she maybe sufficiently recognized in China. If you ask foreigners whether they know about Gong Li, Zhang Ziyi, they probably know but if you ask about Xu Qing, very few people would answer yes. And the people would say yes are most likely hardcore fans of Chinese martial art wuxia movies. I watch lot of Chinese movies and some of my friends think I am a weirdo. And they all think I am in love with Zhang Ziyi. Because most of them knows only Zhang Ziyi from China. So after seeing we watching Chinese movies, first thing come into their mind is Zhang Ziyi. But the fact is I dislike Zhang Ziyi.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari View Post
    I used to think Li Bing Bing is under-rated. Now, she shot past the rest of the field and is slightly over-rated. I do wish she gets leading roles in film, rather than second lead. For example, in Forbidden Kingdom, Liu Yifei has a lot more screentime than her. And in Fengsheng, she has to share lead with Zhou Xun.
    I agree that she should not be considered under LYF, but I think the role placement had more to do with choice of character than hierarchical placement.

And I don't think sharing a lead with Zhou Xun is a small thing. ZX has been around for a very long time and won many major awards. She's also considered one of the 四小花旦 and has been a major actress for longer than LBB has. Besides, Fengsheng had an all star cast so I think for any actor/actress to be in it should be considered a very big thing.

Quote Originally Posted by odbayarb2000 View Post
    Well, she maybe sufficiently recognized in China. If you ask foreigners whether they know about Gong Li, Zhang Ziyi, they probably know but if you ask about Xu Qing, very few people would answer yes. And the people would say yes are most likely hardcore fans of Chinese martial art wuxia movies. I watch lot of Chinese movies and some of my friends think I am a weirdo. And they all think I am in love with Zhang Ziyi. Because most of them knows only Zhang Ziyi from China. So after seeing we watching Chinese movies, first thing come into their mind is Zhang Ziyi. But the fact is I dislike Zhang Ziyi.
    I see where you're coming from. That's what happens when you live in Western countries. People only know Zhang Ziyi. Around Asia, most of us pretty much know about every famous actress and even the recognized but not well-known ones.

Zhang Ziyi does happen to be in the major martial blockbuster, but luckily she isn't in the best one: Ip Man. I don't like the roles ZZY has taken up in international wuxia films. Her character always has some messy relationship with the male lead.