Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I understand...

KC,

Geez, there;s this thing called the HSDS unabridged thread in the Wuxia translation forum. *HINT* *HINT*.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    What happened to Wuxiapedia?
    In hiatus right now.

HYS is busy with work.

Linh is busy with dancing, i think, idk.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Wow. Half of me wants to PDF the files so that there can be no more excuses, the other half just wants to explode.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Wow. Half of me wants to PDF the files so that there can be no more excuses, the other half just wants to explode.
    Don't spoil him.

If he wants it, he'll do it. If he wants to wait another 5 or 10 years for it to be in the perfect format and consistency as he wishes, then let him.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Wait, you guys didn't know that the world of Wuxia Fiction at SPCNET revolves around our mighty Ken Cheng???

Come one...Shame on you guys..

QF
    有了你開心D乜都清心滿意鹹魚白菜也好好味

you're more high-maintenance than most of my friends combined, mr. cheng!
    nostalgic for wuxiasociety? http://wuxiasociety.freeforums.net/

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Couple of months ago, that might've gotten you banned.

Why not "evil, oppressive fascist dictator?" Why do I always get these "girly" descriptions?

I fully cop to being evil and oppressive.

Girly? No way in hell.
    Fine.

You are an evil, oppressive fascist dictator. Happy?

Couple of months ago, that might've gotten you banned.

Why not "evil, oppressive fascist dictator?" Why do I always get these "girly" descriptions?

I fully cop to being evil and oppressive.

Girly? No way in hell.
    Ken, I'm not suggesting that you are gay or girly from that comment. It was written in jest. That's how I kid with my buddies in real life. It just seems that with all the work that was put into the translations and all the years I've seen you waiting for them to be finished, you are not being fully appreciative of the work that's been 'done'. Now that they are done, it seems that you are demanding (maybe not demanding) that they must be in a consistent format before you will even start reading it. I could personally care less as you will be the one missing out on the novels, not me. But it seems like everyone is practically begging you to start reading the translations, and it needs to be put on a silver platter for you to your liking. Anyway, have fun reading when you start.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ View Post
    Ken, I'm not suggesting that you are gay or girly from that comment. It was written in jest. That's how I kid with my buddies in real life. It just seems that with all the work that was put into the translations and all the years I've seen you waiting for them to be finished, you are not being fully appreciative of the work that's been 'done'. Now that they are done, it seems that you are demanding (maybe not demanding) that they must be in a consistent format before you will even start reading it. I could personally care less as you will be the one missing out on the novels, not me. But it seems like everyone is practically begging you to start reading the translations, and it needs to be put on a silver platter for you to your liking. Anyway, have fun reading when you start.
    What KJ said.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

KC,

Word documents of LOCH, ROCH, HSDS, SOD in their whole has been uploaded by Tazzy.

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=26577

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    KC,

Word documents of LOCH, ROCH, HSDS, SOD in their whole has been uploaded by Tazzy.

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=26577

Han Solo
    Thank you, Han.

just a quick Q - why don't the translators publish them and sell them? I'm sure there's a market for wuxia translated into english.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    just a quick Q - why don't the translators publish them and sell them? I'm sure there's a market for wuxia translated into english.
    Well, for starters, it'd be illegal...

Well, for starters, it'd be illegal...
    Can't they get permission from Jin Yong like the other "official" translators who translated his works?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    Can't they get permission from Jin Yong like the other "official" translators who translated his works?
    That would require paying Jin Yong big bucks for his copy rights. I don't think translators want to shell out that kind of $$. Plus the legal issues will probably get messy and become a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    That would require paying Jin Yong big bucks for his copy rights. I don't think translators want to shell out that kind of $$. Plus the legal issues will probably get messy and become a headache.
    So you don't think there's a market for english-translated wuxia? After all that work translating i thought they'd want some money out of it. If they aren't willing to pay JY royalties, then they must think that there is no market for it.

I assume they do it out of the kindness of their hearts. A labor of love to finish.

And while compensation would be very very nice, it's probably more trouble than it's worth when JY and his company probably don't sanction the translations to begin with, let alone sanction profiting from them

This is Fox`s webpage. You can find the whole trilogy there:
    http://members.cox.net/foxs/
    Yeay! I was looking for the book previously and glad I've found the translation in here. Appreciated and a big thank you to the guys and gals who spent time working on these translations. Good job!
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 04-20-09 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Batty: I absolutely LOVE to be lectured by members on my own forum. LOVE IT (which is why I set up this thread)
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

While I would like to see the translators financially rewarded for all that sweat, I would think the following factors are against that possibility :

. Getting JY to give his approval. (Heck, make that even 'Contacting JY or his rep')

. Paying for that approval.

. Getting a publisher

. Low numbers of potential English readers (can debate this I suppose)

. People who would rather download the stuff for free since its already out there by now.

In any case, getting all these 4 big novels translated was is a damn impressive task for such a small community. I am still stunned by the accomplishment!
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

I guess most of the potential readers of english wuxia novels have found their way to spcnet already.
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?