Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How many do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    Actually, he's quite correct. That's not to say all women are morons. Certainly there are many capable women in the world of finance too, but in general, women investing in handbags and stuff is akin to male geeks investing in comics, video games, and action figures.
    ohh i see. i love how you compare 'women' to male geeks and only male geeks because normal guys, (not geeks) who "invest" so much in their cars are 'okay' whatever
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by kay &!* View Post
    ohh i see. i love how you compare 'women' to male geeks and only male geeks because normal guys, (not geeks) who "invest" so much in their cars are 'okay' whatever
    Ouch! She's got you there.

Honestly, many people, male or female, have their own 'money sinks'. For guys, it can be electronics/upgraded computers, their car, etc. For girls, it tends to be girly (duh) things like purses, shoes, etc. And then there's the weirdos of both genders who pour their money into things like stamp collections
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Ouch! She's got you there.

Honestly, many people, male or female, have their own 'money sinks'. For guys, it can be electronics/upgraded computers, their car, etc. For girls, it tends to be girly (duh) things like purses, shoes, etc. And then there's the weirdos of both genders who pour their money into things like stamp collections
    Yea, everyone pours their money into their various interests. I have a friend that spends big bucks on purses, shoes and clothes, while another friend of mine spends on electronics, CDs,DVDs of TV series,etc... It also depends on the person. I don't care for purses much and would rather have CDs and DVDs or other collectibles...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Instead of getting of having a knee-jerk reaction, maybe you could try to think about the analogy deeper. The point that Thor was trying to make is that assets like cars are hard assets that have a lot of practical value or utility. A handbag, no matter how expensive or fashionable, is still just a handbag. You could accomplish the same utility purpose of a $1000 handbag with a free plastic bag. People who own expensive handbags have already said that they like the look and design of the handbag, not because the expensive handbags hold objects any better.

That is why I compare the handbag to impractical male geek items like comics and action figures. Maybe I am the only one who sees the parallel... Iono.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

I guess Kay's case still holds. I mean most cars can get you from place A to B. But some guys pour a lot money and energy into making it look better, sound better, feel better and go faster.

I just realised I don't have a cash sink , nothing I buy is overly expensive, and I don't take joy in owning/collecting expensive stuff.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

I knew someone was gonna say that.

Upgrading a car to look better still has practical purposes – such as attracting female attention. Most straight men don’t care about what a woman’s handbag looks like or what brand it is. Maybe some women use their handbags as status symbols or to make other women jealous, if that’s the case then I can understand its value as being somewhat practical. But, again, I see the reasons being given above as mostly related to fashion and design.

Making a car sound better or go faster or drive smoother also have practical purposes. You obviously want the sound of the music you listen to to suit your tastes. And I don’t think I need to explain why going faster and driving smoother are practical features.

Look, I am not trying to insult the female gender and their financial sensibilities here. I think women are fully capable of money management. I even asked for some ladies to provide examples of their investments to disprove the idea that women can’t invest. If you guys have read my past posts on gender issues, it’s pretty obvious that I have no bias against the female gender. I didn’t even say that owning cars was ok while paying a lot for handbags was not. In fact, I even explicitly said that women and shoes are like guys and their cars – in that both genders have their passions that they indulge, but as is often the case on spcnet, people don’t bother to read and choose to harp on the one thing they deem offensive.

The point I am trying to make here is that both genders are susceptible to spending things on impractical things, such as the specific case of handbags for women and comic books for men – and the ones who spend lots of $ on comics tend to be geeks.

Instead of getting of having a knee-jerk reaction, maybe you could try to think about the analogy deeper. The point that Thor was trying to make is that assets like cars are hard assets that have a lot of practical value or utility. A handbag, no matter how expensive or fashionable, is still just a handbag. You could accomplish the same utility purpose of a $1000 handbag with a free plastic bag. People who own expensive handbags have already said that they like the look and design of the handbag, not because the expensive handbags hold objects any better.

That is why I compare the handbag to impractical male geek items like comics and action figures. Maybe I am the only one who sees the parallel... Iono.
    lol.
    Honestly, I prefer to date a girl who goes out with me with a nice, expensive handbag than carrying a plastic bag.
    Carrying a nice bag can be an indication of good taste.
    And if she has good taste and she accepts my date, you go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    I guess Kay's case still holds. I mean most cars can get you from place A to B. But some guys pour a lot money and energy into making it look better, sound better, feel better and go faster.

I just realised I don't have a cash sink , nothing I buy is overly expensive, and I don't take joy in owning/collecting expensive stuff.
    LOL - guilty as charge.

and if I may add:

"Good car can get you from point A to point B, but Great car can get you into trouble"
    Last edited by rosely; 04-22-09 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rosely View Post
    LOL - guilty as charge.

and if I may add:

"Good car can get you from point A to point B, but Great car can get you into trouble"
    A question for the girls here.

2 guys ask you out. You like them both.

One drives a great car, fast, with good sound system, custom leather seats, well looked after, smells good inside. You know people will look and admire the car when it goes by.

The other drives a rusted old car. Makes lots of cranking noise when it goes. The fabric seats are stain(not what you think) more from old age. And there is a faint smell inside also from old age.

So who would you prefer to go out with.
    He is going to pick you up at work or at school.

whats with guys and cars

every guy know that we spend more money on food than on car
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post

One drives a great car, fast, with good sound system, custom leather seats, well looked after, smells good inside. You know people will look and admire the car when it goes by.

The other drives a rusted old car. Makes lots of cranking noise when it goes. The fabric seats are stain(not what you think) more from old age. And there is a faint smell inside also from old age.

I have a better scenario:

One makes $100,000 per month on a 40-hour job. He spends a lot of time with you, has a charismatic smile, and is nice in general. He makes effort to accommodate your reasonable needs, such as rearranging his schedule to come to an important event with you.

The other is a serial killer. 3 of his fingers were taken out in gangbanging wars. He cusses every other word, doesn't take showers regularly, and is in jail half of the year. Oh, he is also bankrupt and steals your money.

忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

A question for the girls here.

Which is the hotter one? I don't trust guys with souped up cars, mostly because you know - a guy with a nicer car is just trying to compensate for something else. Plus I couldn't care less about cars and prefer public transportation anyway.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

yeah, i think you're the only one that sees it through that ****ed up analogy of yours.
    I knew someone was gonna say that.

Upgrading a car to look better still has practical purposes – such as attracting female attention. Most straight men don’t care about what a woman’s handbag looks like or what brand it is. Maybe some women use their handbags as status symbols or to make other women jealous, if that’s the case then I can understand its value as being somewhat practical. But, again, I see the reasons being given above as mostly related to fashion and design.

Making a car sound better or go faster or drive smoother also have practical purposes. You obviously want the sound of the music you listen to to suit your tastes. And I don’t think I need to explain why going faster and driving smoother are practical features.
    bullshit talk.
    what's so wrong with the basic standard car you just bought? may it be new or certified used, it's reliable, it gets you where you need to be, it has a radio, a working cd player, and it's safe.
    most people are content with those features, so how is one justified to put so much into a readily working car such as a better sound system, new headlights, bigger rims etc.? oh, because it's customized it makes the car more 'practical' by attracting ladies?? i'm sorry but if you're depending on the car you drive to get some girls, chances are, you're only attracting the gold-diggers

and i don't know about other girls, but i purchase expensive handbags for the status symbol, the quality, the label, and the design. but in the end, it's still just "a bag" which can be easily replaced by a plastic bag, right? couldn't we say the same for you and your cars? you don't need all those features and specifications

Look, I am not trying to insult the female gender and their financial sensibilities here. I think women are fully capable of money management. I even asked for some ladies to provide examples of their investments to disprove the idea that women can’t invest. If you guys have read my past posts on gender issues, it’s pretty obvious that I have no bias against the female gender. I didn’t even say that owning cars was ok while paying a lot for handbags was not. In fact, I even explicitly said that women and shoes are like guys and their cars – in that both genders have their passions that they indulge, but as is often the case on spcnet, people don’t bother to read and choose to harp on the one thing they deem offensive.

The point I am trying to make here is that both genders are susceptible to spending things on impractical things, such as the specific case of handbags for women and comic books for men – and the ones who spend lots of $ on comics tend to be geeks.
    i really don't ****ing understand what "point" you are trying to make.
    if you believe women are fully capable of money managment, then why did you bother agreeing to Thor's comment in the first place? and if you think women and their "useless" accessories are like guys and their "practical" cars, why did you bother defending the use of cars in the first place? so are handbags and shoes like cars or are they like comics? WTF

you even said it yourself that both genders are susceptible to spend on impractical things.. which was what i meant by saying Thor's comment was bullshit 'cause it was biased and sexist.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I'm just curious, how many of you guys, comparing bags as just something akin to a plastic bag or whatever, has ever been to a 2nd hand luxury bag shop?

Just the other day, I went into a shop, and there was this gorgeous limited edition LV bag, selling for $6000. Its retail price 1 to 2 years back was about $4000, which the boutique boldly displays on the tag, together with the original receipts. I was pondering over it, and when I went back 2 days later, it was gone. Bags don't appreciate in value? Do your homework.

Are chinese men really so sexist? A week back, I went for a couple of interviews, and aced them all, despite the job market situation. The couple of chinese guys I told, all instigated that it was due to the way I look. It's just such a put down. Do i tell them that they perform well because the interviewer is interested in the bulge in their pants? They just ignore the fact that my middle age female director praises me almost everyday for my work done. And she sure isn't interested in my CLEAVAGE.

yeah, i think you're the only one that sees it through that ****ed up analogy of yours.

bullshit talk.
    what's so wrong with the basic standard car you just bought? may it be new or certified used, it's reliable, it gets you where you need to be, it has a radio, a working cd player, and it's safe.
    most people are content with those features, so how is one justified to put so much into a readily working car such as a better sound system, new headlights, bigger rims etc.? oh, because it's customized it makes the car more 'practical' by attracting ladies?? i'm sorry but if you're depending on the car you drive to get some girls, chances are, you're only attracting the gold-diggers

and i don't know about other girls, but i purchase expensive handbags for the status symbol, the quality, the label, and the design. but in the end, it's still just "a bag" which can be easily replaced by a plastic bag, right? couldn't we say the same for you and your cars? you don't need all those features and specifications

i really don't ****ing understand what "point" you are trying to make.
    if you believe women are fully capable of money managment, then why did you bother agreeing to Thor's comment in the first place? and if you think women and their "useless" accessories are like guys and their "practical" cars, why did you bother defending the use of cars in the first place? so are handbags and shoes like cars or are they like comics? WTF

you even said it yourself that both genders are susceptible to spend on impractical things.. which was what i meant by saying Thor's comment was bullshit 'cause it was biased and sexist.
    Aight. Never mind. I see I am wasting my time.

--------

I see we have a true lady here. LOL.

I am not above writing expletive laden replies, but it's only on subjects I care about, so I will just take the high road here.
    Last edited by jiang bao; 04-22-09 at 08:41 PM.

Aight. Never mind. I see I am wasting my time.
    hahaha. you're ****ing hilarious
    next time, try sticking to your words instead of jumping from A to C and back to B

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    Which is the hotter one? I don't trust guys with souped up cars, mostly because you know - a guy with a nicer car is just trying to compensate for something else. Plus I couldn't care less about cars and prefer public transportation anyway.
    What!!!, LOL - I never pick-up a girl using my car LOL. Don't bother at all. Unless if they want to be involve in a car-crash which is the possibility that can happen with my extreme adrenaline fuel and dangerous road-rage driving.

Well if you're driving in my country where lots of ****ing-*** driver who drive like a snail and using the wrong lane. So yeah I'm mad almost all the time and in constant *Tourette syndrome* mode. So zigzagging and tailgating is a must to go from point A to point B EFFECTIVELY!.

Some people release tension by living over the edge, I'm one of those person. So yeah no girl in my car please.

that plastic bag vs expensive handbag argument cracked me up.
    why wear pants then? why not just take a garbage bag and cut two holes for your legs?

and just spending money on expensive handbags doesn't mean you're bad at managing your money, and buying cheap handbags doesn't make you warren buffet. think of all those successful wall street types that blow their own personal finances on hookers and cocaine. and look at the women who work for goldman sachs, etc who carry LV and hermes handbags.

I see we have a true lady here. LOL.

I am not above writing expletive laden replies, but it's only on subjects I care about, so I will just take the high road here.
    she may use expletives, but if you look back on her posts, she only refuted your comments and never made personal attacks like you have. you're insinuating something negative about her character and that you're somehow more morally correct than her. oh please.
    nytimes: Every hr you have 10 minutes where you’re not doing anything productive at work, & you can’t look at porn. So you make a comment & fulfill this desire to show yourself off as a smarty-pants.

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

is that I was shocked by the claim that women perceive handbags as investments(not for pleasure), something that they can sell for more at a later date, as a used item. TC wondered about the same claim.
    I did not in any way insinuate that women are poor managers of money, on the contrary, I firmly believe that women are better in managing their own money than men. (If we discount that amounts they spend on the hand bags that they perceived as investments, okay, take this as a joke).

I do however agreed that handbags are fashion statements. I also know that when girls talk about handbags, they basically talk about the designers, brands and how much they cost.
    Since most men don't own or wear handbags, I'm not surprised that you are skeptical of the concept that "handbag" can somehow be a valuable asset worth investing in. It is important to clarify the misconception that handbags are just insignificant accessories that women wear and parade around as fashion statement. Although there is some degree of truth to this assessment, as I'm sure everyone wants to look their best and how a person dresses and/or accessorizes reflects their personality, attitude, and sense of style. However, a handbag to most women represents more than just a fashion accessory of the moment; it’s the ultimate "must have" item in every woman's closet, as it represents practicality and functionality for modern women. Many of us, and I'm certainly guilty of this, tend to carry shiet load of junks in our bags, thus, it's essential to invest in a "quality" handbag that is trendy yet durable and timeless.

The fundamental factor that separates an expensive, brand name handbag from an inexpensive, generic handbag is quality, not fashion – it's simply amazing how many of the knock-off handbags are out there, and to the inexperienced eyes, it can be extremely difficult to identify the fake bags from the real ones at first glance. Thus, if you're someone who is just interested in making a fashion statement but don’t have the monetary resource, then you can probably get away with a knock-off brand bag, as some of the replicas do look remarkably similar to the real deal. However, keep in mind that you get what you pay for, thus, fake/generic handbags don't last long and are poor value for your money in the long run; whereas, original designer handbags are pricier, but the quality is incomparable and will last for many years. I swear, I can't never go more than 6 months with a generic handbag until the inside stitching comes grossly undone, and then I'm forced to discard it when things begin to get lost in the holes and nooks inside the bag that simply drives me off the wall whenever I tried to find my things.

Just as you can't compare fake leather to real leather, there is no comparison between the quality of the stitching and the quality of the fabrics from designer goods to fake items. No matter how similar they may look, once you've inspected the bag thoroughly from inside-out, the differences are conspicuous – real designers will always use genuine leather and high-quality luxurious materials for their bags. In addition, the stitching on designer items are always more intricate and detailed, and are done with high-quality threads. I've heard that many Italian designers favored hand-sewing their bags to create elaborate stitching patterns that are difficult to mimic through sewing machines. Thus, there are valid reasons why designer handbags are more expensive, and it is absolutely justifiable to invest in these handbags for quality value rather than spend money on fake/generic bags that are not long-lasting.

Currently, I have 1 Coach Wallet, 2 Monsac leather handbags, 1 Coach, 1 Ralph Lauren, and 1 Fendi. The cheapest ones are the Monsac bags, which I purchased almost five years ago for $295 each; the Fendi bag was the most expensive at $695, that I bought 2 years ago; and I've had the Coach and Ralph Lauren bags for 3 years. I haven't purchased any new handbag in two years and I don’t anticipate on splurging on new ones any time soon. Even though these bags are older, they remained in top-notch condition and will likely last for many years to come. Again, quality matters! Thus, personally, I do think that a good handbag is something worth investing in overtime.
    Last edited by bellamia; 04-23-09 at 11:50 PM.

Welcome back, Bellie and, may I add, there's always online marketplace around to set up sales booth!

On topic, I buy in phones, and a few of them, I sold out gaining some profits. How's that? I benefit from playing around with the phone by exploring the technology then I put them up for sale. For the sale prices, it's up to how good one is at, on the business tactics.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 04-22-09 at 11:45 PM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?