Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How many do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia View Post
    Since most men don't own or wear handbags, I'm not surprised that you are skeptical of the concept that "handbag" can somehow be a valuable asset worth investing in. It is important to clarify the misconception that handbags are just insignificant accessories that women wear and parade around as fashion statement. Although there is some degree of truth to this assessment, as I'm sure everyone wants to look their best and how a person dresses and/or accessorizes reflects their personality, attitude, and sense of style. However, a handbag to most women represents more than just a fashion accessory of the moment; it’s the ultimate "must have" item in every woman's closet, as it represents practically and functionally for modern women. Many of us, and I'm certainly guilty of this, tend to carry shiet load of junks in our bags, thus, it's essential to invest in a "quality" handbag that is trendy yet durable and timeless.

The fundamental factor that separates an expensive, brand name handbag from an inexpensive, generic handbag is quality, not fashion – it's simply amazing how many of the knock-off handbags are out there, and to the inexperienced eyes, it can be extremely difficult to identity the fake bags from the real ones at first glance. Thus, if you're someone who is just interested in making a fashion statement but don’t have the monetary resource, then you can probably get away with a knock-off brand bag, as some of the replicas do look remarkably similar to the real deal. However, keep in mind that you get what you pay for, thus, fake/generic handbags don't last long and are poor value for your money in the long run; whereas, original designer handbags are pricier, but the quality is incomparable and will last for many years. I swear, I can't never go more than 6 months with a generic handbag until the inside stitching comes grossly undone, and then I'm forced to discard it when things begin to get lost in the holes and nooks inside the bag that simply drives me off the wall whenever I tried to find my things.

Just as you can't compare fake leather to real leather, there is no comparison between the quality of the stitching and the quality of the fabrics from designer goods to fake items. No matter how similar they may look, once you evaluate the bag thoroughly from inside-out, the differences are conspicuous – real designers will always use genuine leather and high-quality luxurious materials for their bags. In addition, the stitching on designer items are always more intricate and detailed, and are done with high-quality threads. I've heard that many Italian designers favored hand-sewing their bags to create elaborate stitching patterns that are difficult to mimic through sewing machines. Thus, there are valid reasons why designer handbags are more expensive and that it is absolutely justifiable to invest in these handbags for quality and value rather than spend money on fake/generic bags that are not long-lasting.

Currently, I have 1 Coach Wallet, 2 Monsac leather handbags, 1 Coach, 1 Ralph Lauren, and 1 Fendi. The cheapest ones are the Monsac bags, which I purchased almost five years ago for $295 each; the Fendi bag was the most expensive at $695, that I bought 2 years ago; and I've had the Coach and Ralph Lauren bags for 3 years. I haven't purchased any new handbag in two years and I don’t anticipate on splurging on new ones any time soon. Even though these bags are older, they remained in top-notch condition and will likely last for many years to come. Again, quality matters! Thus, personally, I do think that a good handbag is something worth investing in overtime.
    Wow, good write-up and explanation. Thank you.

So you have $ 2500 worth of handbags and I have just one wallet that cost me $25.00, purchased at 50% off.

However, if I were to add the shoes collection, the attire collections plus makeup and facial compliments, I can see you ladies probably invest(as you ladies like to put it) $10000 to $20000 or even more.
    Wow again.

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    A handbag, no matter how expensive or fashionable, is still just a handbag. You could accomplish the same utility purpose of a $1000 handbag with a free plastic bag.
    Comparing a plastic bag to a $1000 handbag is a bit of a stretch, no? That's like comparing a yard sale bike to a brand new Harley Davidson motorcycle... both of which can get you to your destination, but the latter will obviously last you a lot longer. The quality & craftsmenship that goes into the making of these handbags is what makes them so pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    I just realised I don't have a cash sink , nothing I buy is overly expensive, and I don't take joy in owning/collecting expensive stuff.
    That's hardly anything to be sad about.

For some girls, blowing cash away on purses is a hobby that just can't be helped. Others may buy them for the look, quality, or status, but not every woman buys expensive handbags for the sake of showing off.

Personally, I don't see a problem with girls purchasing luxury handbags or wallets as long as she is spending her own cash, and the amount she spends is relative to her own income. I only find it ridiculous when a woman spends $800+ on a handbag, drives around in a 90s Toyota & shops for clothes at the Thrift store.

I own several bags, the most expensive one being my Juicy Couture tote bag which cost me roughly $170 (originally $225). I also have a couple other Juicy bags around that price range. I do own one Gucci handbag but it was a hand me down. At this stage, I'm not really a big fan of designer brands because they're way over my budget, but I think I will become an avid collector several years down the line.

I think Juicy Couture has a lot of cute styles that are suitable (in terms of aesthetics and price) for girls my age. They also have a lot of decent sales.

I recently bought this brand new (with tags) velour bag in black from Ebay for $72, whereas in stores it is currently retailing for $178.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.purseinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/baby-fluffy-velour-bag-178.jpg')

P.S. Kay, I'm not a fan of Coach either.

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post

However, if I were to add the shoes collection, the attire collections plus makeup and facial compliments, I can see you ladies probably invest(as you ladies like to put it) $10000 to $20000 or even more.
    Wow again.
    That semi-sarcastic and sexist tone of yours is creeping out again. You are taking a direct response to a specific question and generalizing it to other areas. Just because a person invest in one thing does not automatically mean that they splurge in all other spectrums, i.e. shoes, clothes, make-ups, and whatever else that you're insinuating.

I would like someone to start a thread asking how much men spend on their car, X-boxes/ games, computer, and other related technology gadgets, to enlighten us on men's spending habits. Geez.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Wow, good write-up and explanation. Thank you.

So you have $ 2500 worth of handbags and I have just one wallet that cost me $25.00, purchased at 50% off.

Wow again.
    The thing is, your $25 wallet, with half price, will never have this "growing value" because that is so much that it cost and only destinated to a fate of going into the dumpster sooner than you thought.

A genuine leathery, especially big brands costing that much, will cost more than that and possibly be added into "rare collection" overtime. We may be looking at a resale sometime.

When I look at online market places, people have this sort of trust on items owned by ladies, as they're usually (maybe not always) are well taken care of, i.e in good condition.

Good luck to your $25. Try to look out for how long it can last, especially it's been an item on 50% off!!
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia View Post
    That semi-sarcastic and sexist tone of yours is creeping out again. You are taking a direct response to a specific question and generalizing it to other areas. Just because a person invest in one thing does not automatically mean that they splurge in all other spectrums, i.e. shoes, clothes, make-ups, and whatever else that you're insinuating.

I would like someone to start a thread asking how much men spend on their car, X-boxes/ games, computer, and other related technology gadgets, to enlighten us on men's spending habits. Geez.
    When I was writing the response, I was not sarcastic or being sexist.
    I was jsut thinking surely some women must spend more than $2500 on hand bags, and I know you girls are always talking about shopping for clothings, hence I came up with what some ladies may spend.

Actually I came to the conclusion that is not really that much.
    Some guys probably have a wardrobe costing $5000-10000 for suits, pants, shirts and shoes. Plus guys spend on electronics, sound system and maybe even some expensive golf clubs. Also not forgetting DVDs etc,
    So guys probably spend just as much as the girls, just that they spend them on different things.

I do not understand how you came to the conclusion that my remarks are sarcastic and sexist.
    Btw, I have been been accused of many things before, only on this forum have I been called a sexist .
    Last edited by Thor; 04-23-09 at 12:42 AM.

From what I've read so far, I can confidently conclude female posters know more about male posters in handbags.

In terms of appreciation, how much do they appreciate per year on average? Is it above the inflation?
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    From what I've read so far, I can confidently conclude female posters know more about male posters in handbags.

In terms of appreciation, how much do they appreciate per year on average? Is it above the inflation?
    It depends on which female poster.. I can say that I don't know much about bags because I don't care for them much... I pretty much just buy one and use it until it wears out and then buy another one....
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Read up those Tatler magazines, google up on Fashion Runway. Those genuine and costly affair is for a different league. Doesn't matter male or female.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by skylee View Post
    Comparing a plastic bag to a $1000 handbag is a bit of a stretch, no? That's like comparing a yard sale bike to a brand new Harley Davidson motorcycle... both of which can get you to your destination, but the latter will obviously last you a lot longer. The quality & craftsmenship that goes into the making of these handbags is what makes them so pricey.
    I was giving an extreme example to say that the functional purpose of an expensive handbag costing hundreds of dollars could be replaced by a plastic bag. I am not suggesting ladies should be using a plastic bag to carry her belongings. What my point was, is that the exorbitant prices that the handbags go for are really just brand name and other "intangible" values. But if these expensive handbags really do last lots longer than their cheaper counterparts, then that's a legitimate reason to pay more for them.

In my own experience with more expensive clothing and shoes, they just don't necessarily longer than the cheaper ones so I didn't take the life of the asset into account when I posted. However, I never buy the truly high end clothes - akin to $1000 handbags - so perhaps those clothes would last lots longer.

Pemb, next time I'll post some expletives to "attack the argument" to make you happy. And since you seem to like these smileys, I'll give you a few to make you happy. "Oh please."

Happy now?

Christ.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Pemb, next time I'll post some expletives to "attack the argument" to make you happy. And since you seem to like these smileys, I'll give you a few to make you happy. "Oh please."

Happy now?

Christ.
    hah. you just stooped real low.
    funny how every time someone stumps you and leaves you searching for words, your only comeback is to make personal attacks. shows how much you can "attack" the argument
    listen dipshit, if you've read through my response, i may have used too many '****'s' and '***'s' but never do i use personal attacks. i've gone through many disputes with other posters on here and you can go find them and see it for yourself if you want.
    you should've done yourself a favor and stayed shut, but you just had to make another smartass comment. yeah i just made a "personal attack" but that's only 'cause you were asking for it, dipshit.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I have multiple handbags, but not really by choice. They were gifts and I just keep them stashed away in the closet somewhere. I only actually use one or two of them depending on the occasion and what I need to bring with me. I find it annoying to have to keep moving stuff from one bag to another.

Quote Originally Posted by kay &!* View Post
    hah. you just stooped real low.
    funny how every time someone stumps you and leaves you searching for words, your only comeback is to make personal attacks. shows how much you can "attack" the argument
    listen dipshit, if you've read through my response, i may have used too many '****'s' and '***'s' but never do i use personal attacks. i've gone through many disputes with other posters on here and you can go find them and see it for yourself if you want.
    you should've done yourself a favor and stayed shut, but you just had to make another smartass comment. yeah i just made a "personal attack" but that's only 'cause you were asking for it, dipshit.
    For the record, I decided it was not worth my time because I had already set everything out I have to say pretty clear. I didn't think further typing would have made a difference since you didn't understand what I was writing anyway.

If you're referring to me saying sarcastically that you are a lady as a personal attack... well, you're proving my point now, aren't you?

Signed,

Dipshit

For the record, I decided it was not worth my time because I had already set everything out I have to say pretty clear. I didn't think further typing would have made a difference since you didn't understand what I was writing anyway.

If you're referring to me saying sarcastically that you are a lady as a personal attack... well, you're proving my point now, aren't you?

Signed,

Dipshit
    you may have tried to set everything out "clearly" but jumping around doesn't prove anything. one minute you're saying one thing, the next you're saying another thing.
    the impression you're giving off is you'd rather take the "high road" since these **** are harming your ability to provide an adequate response. are you suggesting if i had taken out the expletives, you would have refuted?
    and i wasn't referring to that lady comment
    even if i was, did i ever said otherwise? i admitted the fact that i've used far too many **** and i'm only calling you names in the previous post because well, you deserve to be called a dipshit.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I don't think I was jumping around. I tried to make my position clear already.

I never said I thought women (as in the gender) were bad at finances. What I was saying is that in regards to handbags, it seemed like (to me) that they weren't worth all that money, so women spending all that money on handbags is like guys who invest in comic books and action figures and cars - if you wanna throw that in there - it's a passion thing I suppose.

It's not a black and white position, but my position has always been consistent. You just didn't get it.

Where exactly did I attack you personally? If I did, I apologize because the only place where I did intend to give you a sarcastic jab was when I said you are a true lady.

And you can call me anything you call, I don't care. I am free to jab back at ya though, if I feel like it. I can get as vulgar as anyone if I wanted to. I just don't, in this case.

i have to jump in here and say jiang bao's position is pretty clear and consistent.

i believe it was thor that flip flopped
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Happy now?

Christ.
    i'm not saying her use of expletives or your non-use of expletives were right or wrong. i'm just saying that she was able (at that time) to be objective and argue your points, while you made it personal by implying that she's not a lady and that you are above such unlady like things. if you were really wanted to illustrate that you are the more "ladylike" person, then you shouldn't have stooped so low and lost your objectivity.

and yes, i am happy! and i love smileys!
    nytimes: Every hr you have 10 minutes where you’re not doing anything productive at work, & you can’t look at porn. So you make a comment & fulfill this desire to show yourself off as a smarty-pants.

I don't think I was jumping around. I tried to make my position clear already.

I never said I thought women (as in the gender) were bad at finances. What I was saying is that in regards to handbags, it seemed like (to me) that they weren't worth all that money, so women spending all that money on handbags is like guys who invest in comic books and action figures and cars - if you wanna throw that in there - it's a passion thing I suppose.

It's not a black and white position, but my position has always been consistent. You just didn't get it.

Where exactly did I attack you personally? If I did, I apologize because the only place where I did intend to give you a sarcastic jab was when I said you are a true lady.

And you can call me anything you call, I don't care. I am free to jab back at ya though, if I feel like it. I can get as vulgar as anyone if I wanted to. I just don't, in this case.
    I totally agree because I did not think that Jiang Bao said anything to offend anyone. I think he was just giving his opinion and some of us misunderstood him.I also think that everyone has different passions about things and are willing to spend a certain amount on something that other people would never care about. Handbags and purses is one thing that a lot of women seem to love and spend a lot of money on. I am one of the few females that don't care for that stuff much so I can't really understand when another girl spends so much on a purse/wallet too. But then again, there are things that I spend a lot of money on(like CDs, DVDs,etc...) that other people do not care for as well. It depends on each of our interests...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

*sitting back with popcorns*

I love this page; I love smileys too

Handbags...

To be honest, I do have quite a few.

Back a few years ago, I agreed with many points raised up - why spend so much $$$$ on brands such as LV when I can get a decent-looking bag for less than one 10th of the price? So yes, I kept with my belief and bought bags that were cheaper; ranging from $10 - $80 [80 only in rare cases :P]. Sure they were nice and all, but they certainly did not last very long and one even broke after two weeks and no, I did not throw my bag around and stomp all over it.
    Even for those that didn't break, you could see that the material would slowly become less shiny, the print would slowly fade, and some didn't react well with water. In some of them, the insides were made out of poor quality material and I found myself finding a hole here and there inside my bag.

Then, I gave in. I was sick of carrying a bag that looked a bit rusty or worn out.

I bought a LV bag and til today [about 2 years now], it is still in fantastic condition. The material is still pretty shiny and no holes are found inside. Yes, I still buy cheaper bags every now and then that I find a nice design, but my favourite is the LV bag I bought. Ever since, I've put my hands on so called 'better' brands such as Chanel and Prada [yes, those bags were less expensive than the LV one].

Even when I go to weddings, parties, functions and etc., carrying an expensive bag just seems to make myself feel better, not that I rely on fashion to boost my self-esteem; it just simply does.
    Sometimes it's hard to love someone because you're so afraid of losing them.

I have some high-end handbags, but I have some cheap ones too. For wallet, I only have 3 high-end, but they really are still in good condition even though they've been around like 3-4 years.

For handbags, if I'm gonna spend like $1000 for it, it HAS to be versatile (means I can use it on most occasion, wear it with different style and/or color clothing) and has classic style that will never go outdated. That's how I justify it. And usually, I thought about the handbags like 1000 times before I give in & buy it

But if I want to follow the trend that will only last 1 season or buy a bright pink/yellow/orange bag that I will only wear few times/hard to match with the outfit, I buy the cheaper brand.

But overall, I do agree with most of the ladies here that usually good brand will cost more but they will last longer. So for wallet & handbags (& watches), I don't mind spending more.