Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunan TV's Liu Xing Yu - Mainland China's "Meteor Garden" Adaptation

Quote Originally Posted by cfensi1 View Post
    I feel like broken record, but since people hate Hunan TV, the reviews are bad, and mostly compiled of people who judged it before they saw it. It's ratings are #1

Outside of China it's doing much better. It's a really good series.

*Sigh* Sometimes I just want to shake sense into the Chinese population. They are so critical towards their own series while they eat up stuff that isn't even so good from elsewhere.

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.p...=880&start=880
    I completely agree with you! I'm sick of going online into (chinese) forums and seeing all these people say the korean version is better, mainland just can't make idol drama, all the guys are hideous compared to the korean guys etc. Sure, you're totally entitled to your own opinion, and each person has different views, but most people making these comments aren't basing their judgements on anything except blatant prejudice. They really ought to give it a chance!

Sure, this series certainly has faults- for one thing, the anvillish advertisements they slip annoy me like hell- but don't absolutely discredit it completely.
    门前若无东南西北路,此生可免悲欢离合情

Seriously...if they compare they should at least compare to Japan's which was so much better than BOF. Note: I did not finish BOF, but I disliked the first four episodes, was going to pick it back up if people said it was good, but then everyone kept saying that the second half tanked, so I'm assuming it was only worse than what I saw.

Lol, I love the product placements. Sometimes they're hilarious.

Kiss preview...I don't know if the order is correct...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt302/cfensi/1250142900192_71742.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt302/cfensi/1250142901704_72560.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt302/cfensi/1250142901369_69414.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt302/cfensi/1250142900951_73134.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt302/cfensi/1250142900615_62208.jpg')

I feel like broken record, but since people hate Hunan TV, the reviews are bad, and mostly compiled of people who judged it before they saw it. It's ratings are #1

Outside of China it's doing much better. It's a really good series.

*Sigh* Sometimes I just want to shake sense into the Chinese population. They are so critical towards their own series while they eat up stuff that isn't even so good from elsewhere.

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.p...=880&start=880
    you make a good point I guess I shouldn't be influenced by the chinese reviewers before watching the series. its annoying how everytime I go on baidu forum, the people are criticizing how this series is "lei" and "shan zai"...
    hehe I had high hopes in this series when it was in the process of filming. wei chen and zhang han look cute and I've never even watched any of the other three versions. like wei chen said, this series may have its flaws and stuff, but its the first idol drama produced by mainland china and the actors would be happy just to see people giving it a try even if it may not be as good as the korean or japanese or taiwanese version.

I'm waiting for all the episodes to air before I download and watch it because I'm afraid the episodes online right now have bad quality? hahaa it irritates me when I see all the commercials on hunantv but I can't watch the series.
    晨晨曙光 魏你闪亮 ♥ WEI CHEN
    实力偶像 魏晨最棒
    海外乐橙支持

It'll be a while before all the episodes are all out- they're only showing two per night, and it's not on tonight due to Kuai Le Nv Sheng. Hunan TV is doing a good job of keeping the secrecy- there's not even a synopsis of all the episodes.

And I definitely agree with Leanne- I'm sick of all the baidu posts complaining about lei and shanzai, which I don't even know how to translate, something along the lines of 'shocking' and 'bogan'?

The interesting thing about this series is that I'm rooting for DMS (or Yun Hai, whichever you prefer) whereas in the Taiwanese series I was definitely more of a Lei fan. This is due partly due to the fact that I find Zhang Han more attractive than Yu Hao Ming, but also because Lei's character is major screwed up in this series. Also Zhang Han just looks more matching wit Zheng Shuang.

Random side note- kiss scene looks adorable.
    门前若无东南西北路,此生可免悲欢离合情

Well, partially all the negativity surrounding this is due to the way Hunan is marketing it.

They released a really, really bad photoshoot of the guys early on, fueled the flames of this being "shan zhai" and right now are sort of relishing the bad press. Because bad press travels faster, and draws attention.

I'm hoping by week two they'll start with the good press because it's a good show...most people watching it are hooked.

There are actually pretty high quality tv rips for this out already because it''s got such a fanbase.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt302/cfensi/1250142900192_71742.jpg')

LOL whats with the person with the mask behind her?? haha

I actually decided to start watching the series. I'm up to episode 4 and I find it quite addicting There are some irritating parts such as when CYX went shopping and they were filming all the shampoo brands and stuff... haha and the person who dubbed wei chen's voice makes it sound really weird. YHM's acting is also quite stiff, but zhang han is pretty good. The series isn't as bad as how people are making it sound like, I find it really entertaining.
    晨晨曙光 魏你闪亮 ♥ WEI CHEN
    实力偶像 魏晨最棒
    海外乐橙支持

Quote Originally Posted by ChineseChik525 View Post
    LOL whats with the person with the mask behind her?? haha
    Watch and find out!

Watch and find out!
    did that part already air? what episode?

Episode 11, happens about ten minutes into the episode. But I have no idea about the masked person behind her. It all happened pretty quick anyway...

I don't know if anyone here watches 快乐大本营, but basically it's a entertainment show also on Hunan TV, and last night they had the five main cast members from Liu Xing Yu on it. Quite funny, and you got to see a lot of different sides of the actors. The person that especially took my notice was Zhu Zi Xiao (Shang Guan/Xi Men), who was really funny and entertaining, and much more of a star in real life than he is in the show.
    门前若无东南西北路,此生可免悲欢离合情

Quote Originally Posted by LiYuanZhi View Post
    I'm sick of going online into (chinese) forums and seeing all these people say the korean version is better, mainland just can't make idol drama, all the guys are hideous compared to the korean guys etc.
    Well, they are simply stating what's so obvious on the surface. Korean version being the most visually stunning version to date packed with best looking cast, expensive setting and exotic locale, Chinese viewers are going to compare this to Meteor Shower especially when they are both on air in China right now(Meteor Shower on Hunan TV and BOF on Xingkong TV). Koreans have been doing these good-looking rich boy/men dramas for ages and they really mastered this genre, thus it is impossible for Chinese production to beat Koreans on the quality of visuals. BOF's F4 does really look rich living a millionaire's life in their style, clothing, and demeanor, whereas Meteor Shower's H4 look like Chinese middle class "commoners" who ride taxi and drive around in "cheap" cars like MG3 SW.

Since the Meteor Shower cannot beat BOF in visuals, can it beat it on story, the weakness of BOF? Granted BOF was very romantic, probably the most romantic version of all, but the storytelling wasn't very smooth, probably due to rushed production.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe View Post
    Well, they are simply stating what's so obvious on the surface. Korean version being the most visually stunning version to date packed with best looking cast, expensive setting and exotic locale, Chinese viewers are going to compare this to Meteor Shower especially when they are both on air in China right now(Meteor Shower on Hunan TV and BOF on Xingkong TV). Koreans have been doing these good-looking rich boy/men dramas for ages and they really mastered this genre, thus it is impossible for Chinese production to beat Koreans on the quality of visuals. BOF's F4 does really look rich living a millionaire's life in their style, clothing, and demeanor, whereas Meteor Shower's H4 look like Chinese middle class "commoners" who ride taxi and drive around in "cheap" cars like MG3 SW.

Since the Meteor Shower cannot beat BOF in visuals, can it beat it on story, the weakness of BOF? Granted BOF was very romantic, probably the most romantic version of all, but the storytelling wasn't very smooth, probably due to rushed production.
    Oh are you internationalpirate2 at youtube? Hey...I had no idea you were a regular at spcnet...interesting....

You probably haven't seen this version yet ...the settings are so so gorgeous. Xiamen University is amazing. As is Murong Yunhai's house. It really looks elegant. But at the same time both have a distinct Chinese flair.

And the cinematography is so much better than the Korean version. After making a friend watch this, she was curious about the Korean version's guys and I went to look up BOF to show her....and we were both really amazed at how clunky the camerawork seemed.

When F4 went into the school and first bullied someone...it just seemed very messy. I didn't realize it when I first watched the Korean version, but after watching this version and then comparing it was more apparent...

I mean, it looks like they spent a lot of money on the Korean version, but the production skill wasn't there. Come to think of it, I haven't seen many Korean series with really good cinematography actually...

I think visually, most comparisons will be in Liu Xing Yu's favor...especially since the looks of the guys grow on you. Yunhai <3

Although, to compare this version to the Korean version isn't quite fair. This was made by Hunan TV, which is more of a provincial station that makes its dramas for itself and is famous for its product placement, hence why they used those cars, uniforms...

I would say if you want to compare how different countries shoot "rich people", you should compare this to An Xiang instead, which is shot in Sanya and had so much beautiful furniture, boats, cars, etc...and wasn't restricted by product placement. Oh man...the furniture in An Xiang was so, so awesome. I wanted them so badly. The detail in the woodwork on the beds, the windows....I don't think I will ever make enough money to own that kind of bed. The scene in the beginning with the father dying...all I could think was...on what a nice bed to be dying on.
    Last edited by cfensi1; 08-17-09 at 01:11 PM.

You probably haven't seen this version yet ...
    Yes I did.

the settings are so so gorgeous.
    Maybe by Chinese drama standard. Looks plain and average to me. Nothing special.

When F4 went into the school and first bullied someone...it just seemed very messy.
    It is supposed to be messy.

I mean, it looks like they spent a lot of money on the Korean version, but the production skill wasn't there.
    The studio that produced Korean version has a reputation for excellent visuals and high production quality, their past example being "Goong" and this is why they landed the remake rights. There are a lot more involved in winning the remake right for HYD than the sum of money put on the table.

I think visually, most comparisons will be in Liu Xing Yu's favor
    Your opinion belongs to the minority, as the large number of angry Chinese viewer complaints about H4's poor look(aka Farmer4) on the web boards can testify. You are not going to find many complaints about Korean F4's look, however.

This was made by Hunan TV, which is more of a provincial station that makes its dramas for itself and is famous for its product placement, hence why they used those cars, uniforms...
    And that's exactly why Hunan TV cannot be granted the remake rights to HYD; only the studios with proven track record whose stuff is good enough to air on Japanese national TV(to maximize revenue potential) may win the remake rights once every two year, and Hunan TV couldn't possibly fit the bill.

you should compare this to An Xiang instead, which is shot in Sanya and had so much beautiful furniture, boats, cars, etc...and wasn't restricted by product placement. Oh man...the furniture in An Xiang was so, so awesome.
    And only studios that could put out that kind of visual may win the HYD remake rights, so that it could be sold in Japan where the maximum profit could be generated.

See, HYD is supposed to be all about a Cinderella fairytale story to fulfill every girl's fantasy, for a humble plain not pretty average girl to meet rich handsome prince(s). Goo Jun Pyo and the rest of his F4 gangs meet that requirement; Murong Yunhai and H4 don't. Ok, maybe Zhang Han playing Murong Yunhai alone could pass the "looks" test, not definitely not the remaining three.

So answer me this question; is Meteor Shower good enough to air on Japan's national broadcast network, assuming there is no legal hurdle?

I don't know if anyone here watches 快乐大本营, but basically it's a entertainment show also on Hunan TV, and last night they had the five main cast members from Liu Xing Yu on it. Quite funny, and you got to see a lot of different sides of the actors. The person that especially took my notice was Zhu Zi Xiao (Shang Guan/Xi Men), who was really funny and entertaining, and much more of a star in real life than he is in the show.
    I love that show but too bad I have hunantv international, so I'll have to wait two more weeks before it airs. and they also went on "Bei Hou De Gu Shi" and I think some of them might appear on Kuai Le Nv Shen again this weekend (well, at least wei chen is) if you watch some of their interviews and stuff, all of them joke around alot and are really funny. also, since you already watched Happy Citadel, what was it with Wu Xin and Zhang Han? (idk, I saw the commercial and it was confusing)

I would say if you want to compare how different countries shoot "rich people", you should compare this to An Xiang instead, which is shot in Sanya and had so much beautiful furniture, boats, cars, etc...and wasn't restricted by product placement. Oh man...the furniture in An Xiang was so, so awesome. I wanted them so badly. The detail in the woodwork on the beds, the windows....I don't think I will ever make enough money to own that kind of bed. The scene in the beginning with the father dying...all I could think was...on what a nice bed to be dying on.
    I agree An Xiang was filmed really well in regards to the setting and props and everything.
    晨晨曙光 魏你闪亮 ♥ WEI CHEN
    实力偶像 魏晨最棒
    海外乐橙支持

It is supposed to be messy.

The studio that produced Korean version has a reputation for excellent visuals and high production quality, their past example being "Goong" and this is why they landed the remake rights. There are a lot more involved in winning the remake right for HYD than the sum of money put on the table.

Your opinion belongs to the minority, as the large number of angry Chinese viewer complaints about H4's poor look(aka Farmer4) on the web boards can testify. You are not going to find many complaints about Korean F4's look, however.

And that's exactly why Hunan TV cannot be granted the remake rights to HYD; only the studios with proven track record whose stuff is good enough to air on Japanese national TV(to maximize revenue potential) may win the remake rights once every two year, and Hunan TV couldn't possibly fit the bill.

And only studios that could put out that kind of visual may win the HYD remake rights, so that it could be sold in Japan where the maximum profit could be generated.

So answer me this question; is Meteor Shower good enough to air on Japan's national broadcast network, assuming there is no legal hurdle?

Lots of opinions changed after actually watching the series...which is why in its second week, there are hardly anymore bad articles.

If you are trying to tell me that Group Eight, responsible for the horrible editing and cinematography in BOF is one of the best Korean drama companies, then I'm sorry, but if I were to generalize like you do then I would say Korean dramas have horrible production values and horrible camerawork.

It seems that you read Asianfanatics from the info you're stating. Since you do read Asianfanatics, did you read the article that stated that at this point in time, Liu Xing Yu has gotten already at least 50 million viewers, more than the entire population of South Korea

Not all amazing looking Chinese series are made for Japanese consumption like the Korean ones. China actually has a big enough market to sustain her own series budgets without relying on a foreign country's market. Have you noticed how historical epics in China don't give much background info, but Korean ones do? It's because China makes her series for her own audience, which already knows most of that history.

I don't even know why you think making it to Japan is some sign of a good drama that has lots of funding. The original Meteor Garden, shot on a shoestring budget, was hugely popular over there.

I'm sorry, but I don't know how to guage the sincerity of your statements, since you nearly flooded the trailer for Liu Xing Yu on youtube with your negative comments about it before it even aired, and then regurgitated those same comments here.
    Last edited by cfensi1; 08-17-09 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leanna View Post
    I love that show but too bad I have hunantv international, so I'll have to wait two more weeks before it airs. and they also went on "Bei Hou De Gu Shi" and I think some of them might appear on Kuai Le Nv Shen again this weekend (well, at least wei chen is) if you watch some of their interviews and stuff, all of them joke around alot and are really funny. also, since you already watched Happy Citadel, what was it with Wu Xin and Zhang Han? (idk, I saw the commercial and it was confusing)

I agree An Xiang was filmed really well in regards to the setting and props and everything.
    Ah, the Wu Xin incident, this is quite funny, because all these Zhang Han fans were getting really angry about this, and saying that Wu Xin isn't a good enough match for Zhang Han. Basically, they were out filming (外拍), and WX was paired with ZH and Hai Tao with Zheng Shuang. Each couple had to spend the day together as boyfriend and girlfriend, but only had a budjet of $10. So it was all about what kind of memorable date could you get with only $10? The clip on the adds was at the end, when ZH does something really romantic for WX (will keep it spoiler-free). But yeah, it's all fake and planned out, but still kind of cute. Throughout the rest of the show, ZH makes a couple of jokes, like how if they were going to make a sequel, he would pick WX to be the leading female etc.

I also watched Bei Hou De Gu Shi yesterday, it's was only part one though, part two comes out this Sunday. But they were really cute. I like the nickname they give for Wei Chen and Zhu Zi Xiao- because they have so many scenes together, they're really good friends, and they're called 'Wei Zhu" (喂猪).

I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but ZH has a really really beautiful smile.

And I really want to watch An Xiang, it looks sooo good!
    Last edited by LiYuanZhi; 08-17-09 at 08:10 PM.
    门前若无东南西北路,此生可免悲欢离合情

Ok, maybe Zhang Han playing Murong Yunhai alone could pass the "looks" test, not definitely not the remaining three.
    I agree

Ah, the Wu Xin incident, this is quite funny, because all these Zhang Han fans were getting really angry about this, and saying that Wu Xin isn't a good enough match for Zhang Han. Basically, they were out filming (外拍), and WX was paired with ZH and Hai Tao with Zheng Shuang. Each couple had to spend the day together as boyfriend and girlfriend, but only had a budjet of $10. So it was all about what kind of memorable date could you get with only $10? The clip on the adds was at the end, when ZH does something really romantic for WX (will keep it spoiler-free). But yeah, it's all fake and planned out, but still kind of cute. Throughout the rest of the show, ZH makes a couple of jokes, like how if they were going to make a sequel, he would pick WX to be the leading female etc.

I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but ZH has a really really beautiful smile.

And I really want to watch An Xiang, it looks sooo good!
    Oh, I see I can't wait to watch it hehe, I think WX is pretty cute. and yeah, ZH does have the looks and he acts really well, but I like WC the best. hehe I have been his fan since early competitions of Kuai Le Nan Shen when like no one knew him yet. its pretty cool seeing where he is at now compared to two years ago anyways, I always look forward to watching both of their scenes in the series. I also think MuRong YunHai's sister isn't that bad either, she looks kinda pretty.

And you should definitely try An Xiang out, especially if you like HXM

Random question: why are they called H4? What does it stand for?
    Last edited by Leanna; 08-17-09 at 08:20 PM.
    晨晨曙光 魏你闪亮 ♥ WEI CHEN
    实力偶像 魏晨最棒
    海外乐橙支持

Wei Chen came third in the singing comp, didn't he? I quite liked Wei Chen on Happy Camp, he was a lot more natural than Yu Hao Ming, whom I felt was trying a little too hard.

H4 has many different explanations:
    H for hua (aka flower in chinese)
    H for high, because apparently the four guys are really tall (but this seems kinda lame)
    But someone also translated it to 汗死.
    门前若无东南西北路,此生可免悲欢离合情

Wei Chen came third in the singing comp, didn't he? I quite liked Wei Chen on Happy Camp, he was a lot more natural than Yu Hao Ming, whom I felt was trying a little too hard.

H4 has many different explanations:
    H for hua (aka flower in chinese)
    H for high, because apparently the four guys are really tall (but this seems kinda lame)
    But someone also translated it to 汗死.
    Yup, he came in third hehe he's pretty funny but quiet at the same time. I bet he came up with that name "Wei Zhu" aha YHM is just really childish and likes to get involved in everything. sometimes he thinks hes really funny but he isn't hehe. and it was kinda funny how they made him like this amazing musical talented person in the series when he's pretty bad at singing and also the violin

And thanks at first, I thought it was "handsome four" haha.
    Oh yeah, do you have the actual HunanTV so you can watch all the latest shows or do you watch them online? I have HunanTV world, and they're always behind in broadcasting the shows compared to the actual air time. they don't even broadcast this series
    晨晨曙光 魏你闪亮 ♥ WEI CHEN
    实力偶像 魏晨最棒
    海外乐橙支持

Lots of opinions changed after actually watching the series...which is why in its second week, there are hardly anymore bad articles.
    Well, the Meteor Shower bashers lost interest in the show and are tuning out.

If you are trying to tell me that Group Eight, responsible for the horrible editing and cinematography in BOF
    There is noting wrong with cinematography of BOF. Actually it was the best looking version to date. Unfolding of story was a bit rough, but not how it looked.

It seems that you read Asianfanatics from the info you're stating. Since you do read Asianfanatics
    I don't. I don't even know what Asianfanatics is.

Liu Xing Yu has gotten already at least 50 million viewers, more than the entire population of South Korea
    So? 50 million out of 1.6 billion is nothing.

Not all amazing looking Chinese series are made for Japanese consumption like the Korean ones. China actually has a big enough market to sustain her own series budgets without relying on a foreign country's market.
    You clearly don't understand the export of drama/film export; it has importance beyond monetory terms, since drama/film export is more about spreading one's own culture and influencing foreign viewers than just earning money through sales. This is why all things Chinese are little appreciated outside of China.

I don't even know why you think making it to Japan is some sign of a good drama that has lots of funding.
    Japanese broadcast is required since the largest market for secondary content sales(aka DVD sales) is still Japan. China has little importance in this regard because of heavy DVD piracy. In other word, anyone wishing to make an adoptation of HYD must be able to produce a version good enough to broadcast in Japan. Meteor Garden was lucky because it was the first version and could bypass this requirement, but not the ones produced after Japanese HYD. BOF cost $8 million to shoot; anyone else wishing to do a version after BOF must be able to commit even more, say $10 ~ 15 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Leanna View Post
    Random question: why are they called H4?
    To circumvent HYD copyrights issue by claiming that Meteor Shower is not a HYD adoptation. Producers of Meteor Shower themselves say Meteor Shower is not a HYD adoptation, therefore Meteor Shower should be considered to be "inspired" by HYD, but not really a HYD.