Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 185

Thread: Feeling old?

  1. #101
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    True. You can't afford to make as many mistakes as an adult.

    For me it's also to do with having 10 things on mind at any given time and only a fraction of that is actually spent on the thing in front of me.

    I just read an article that said as an adult/parent you do 100 things a day instead of 10.
    Kids are incredibly distracting with their questions that disrupt your train of thought. I'm not talking about some profound question about the nature of the world around them but rather things like: who's your favorite Pokemon, your favorite land animal, who's more powerful Aang or Goku? It's not that I don't want to answer these questions but rather I've already answered them multiple times or the answer should be fairly obvious. They also tend to ask these questions at the most inopportune times like when you're running late.

    This is on top of mundane considerations like did they bring their backpack? Drink enough water, visit the restroom, wash their hands, etc.

    I also find that reading stories disrupt my normal focus or rather I should say they consume mental cycles that leave less cycles for other things like noticing whether I've rolled up my car windows. This happens even when I'm not actively thinking about what I've read. The recent XianXia translation explosion, and my access to an iPhone has affected me greatly since I've been following pretty much every translation. Of course it could just be the early onset of Alzheimer's.

  2. #102
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,371

    Default

    Yeah... I'm ill-equipped for parenting because I take questions seriously. If they ask 10 questions per minute, I'm going to think through each one and give the best answer.

    I'm sure I will adapt as necessary.

    Is that how superficiality takes over?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  3. #103
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    A little bit old (in my thirties now). Most of my friends and cousins are getting married or have been married for several years now. Either that, or they are too busy with their jobs to go out and have fun. I think I need to find a hobby for the future. TVB does keep me occupied - just finished watching 潮拜武當. And I just returned from a bus trip to Shanghai and 九寨沟 (Jiu Zhai Gou - Valley of Nine Fortified Villages) in Sichuan with family. The scenery in 九寨沟 was breath-taking - I believe it is where they filmed the 2006 Return of Condor Heroes. There is also a lot of Tibetan settlements around the area - pretty nifty to see.
    30s is definitely young, my dear.

  4. #104
    Senior Member Ghaleon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    30s is definitely young, my dear.
    I feel like post-16 years =\

    Well I'm kind of semi-retired now. I'm able to work from home everyday. No more driving to work hassle. No more traffic.

  5. #105
    Senior Member skoo78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    I feel like post-16 years =\

    Well I'm kind of semi-retired now. I'm able to work from home everyday. No more driving to work hassle. No more traffic.
    LUCKY YOU...
    Sim neej aws...

  6. #106
    Senior Member skoo78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    30s is definitely young, my dear.
    30s is young, but I feel old. Maybe because I'm not use to the nightlife and bar scenes as much as before.
    Sim neej aws...

  7. #107
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,371

    Default

    I have zero interest now in the so-called "nightlife" (bars and clubs), which I used to frequent. Now my ideal nightlife is strolling a lively street at my leisurely pace.

    Yeah, I'm an old man
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  8. #108
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,912

    Default

    It is often advised that to feel younger, one should mix with young people. I found this to be contrary. With young people, I become to remember and feel that I am old.

    Perhaps I should mix with older people?

  9. #109
    Senior Member Ghaleon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I have zero interest now in the so-called "nightlife" (bars and clubs), which I used to frequent. Now my ideal nightlife is strolling a lively street at my leisurely pace.

    Yeah, I'm an old man
    Same here. I'm officially retired from worldly matters =\ I find driving downtown such a hassle now. My ideal outing is just chilling with friends at their homes or going out to eat at restaurants.
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 08-05-15 at 12:03 PM.

  10. #110
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    I'm officially retired from worldly matters =\
    That's what Shaolin monks said. We know how that worked out.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  11. #111
    Senior Member Ghaleon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,555

    Default

    I feel that at my age its too much of a hassle to go out just for the heck of it. The traffic is really bad here in Toronto. Supposedly, we have the busiest highway in all of north america.

  12. #112
    Senior Member skoo78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    I feel that at my age its too much of a hassle to go out just for the heck of it. The traffic is really bad here in Toronto. Supposedly, we have the busiest highway in all of north america.
    I think California and Chicago, IL have the worst traffics and mean drivers too. I remember going to San Francisco and the highway was just jammed. They wouldn't let cars merge. You have to make your way in. As for Chicago, sucks being stuck on the highway.
    Sim neej aws...

  13. #113
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skoo78 View Post
    I think California and Chicago, IL have the worst traffics and mean drivers too. I remember going to San Francisco and the highway was just jammed. They wouldn't let cars merge. You have to make your way in. As for Chicago, sucks being stuck on the highway.
    yeh you kind of have to be aggressive and force your way in. I don't know how much faster people can go if we are all in traffic and they don't want to let you merge. But have to agree, driving in traffic is such a hassle. Sometimes I use public transportation because parking is also terrible....


    You guys are all still very young. Remember, 30s is the new 20s, plus ppl are living longer now. How you think about yourself determines how you feel =)


    I never heard of two redbean site but I know a few people who found success on eharmony.

  14. #114
    Senior Member Ghaleon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,555

    Default

    401 has the busiest traffic in north america. I used to spend over an hour just driving to work few years ago. I was forced to leave home at 6:30 am just to alleviate the traffic.

    You guys are all still very young. Remember, 30s is the new 20s, plus ppl are living longer now. How you think about yourself determines how you feel =)
    Never thought about it that way.

  15. #115
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,912

    Default

    When you get older, you do not mind a lot of things though you may be mumbling inside.

  16. #116
    Senior Member skoo78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    yeh you kind of have to be aggressive and force your way in. I don't know how much faster people can go if we are all in traffic and they don't want to let you merge. But have to agree, driving in traffic is such a hassle. Sometimes I use public transportation because parking is also terrible....


    You guys are all still very young. Remember, 30s is the new 20s, plus ppl are living longer now. How you think about yourself determines how you feel =)


    I never heard of two redbean site but I know a few people who found success on eharmony.
    Not only 30 is the new 20, younger guys are dating older women. I had three young men in their twenties that were interested in me but I turned them down. I am iffy about that...some say age is just a number, but I can't accept that....
    Sim neej aws...

  17. #117
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skoo78 View Post
    Not only 30 is the new 20, younger guys are dating older women. I had three young men in their twenties that were interested in me but I turned them down. I am iffy about that...some say age is just a number, but I can't accept that....
    What if they are nice guys? There is nothing wrong with that.

  18. #118
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skoo78 View Post
    Not only 30 is the new 20, younger guys are dating older women. I had three young men in their twenties that were interested in me but I turned them down. I am iffy about that...some say age is just a number, but I can't accept that....
    Wow. That makes you feel young.

  19. #119
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skoo78 View Post
    Not only 30 is the new 20, younger guys are dating older women. I had three young men in their twenties that were interested in me but I turned them down. I am iffy about that...some say age is just a number, but I can't accept that....
    Maybe you look very young for your age and they mistaken you guys are the same age??? But hey that means you are very pretty and young...

    Then there are some guys who like older women I heard. That's what my coworker says because they are more mature and not expecting the guy to pay for everything. But I don't know to what extend that is true.

  20. #120
    Senior Member skoo78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    What if they are nice guys? There is nothing wrong with that.
    Nice guys, yes..but I can't picture myself. The youngest I would go for a guy would have to be 5yrs and he would have to be mature. I do not want to babysit another child.

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Wow. That makes you feel young.
    Yeah, it does...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    Maybe you look very young for your age and they mistaken you guys are the same age??? But hey that means you are very pretty and young...

    Then there are some guys who like older women I heard. That's what my coworker says because they are more mature and not expecting the guy to pay for everything. But I don't know to what extend that is true.
    Thanks for the compliment. I did ask those young guys why they are into older women and they said the same thing like your above statement. Older women = maturity and stability. If I was to date a younger guy, he would to have a mature mind and can also provide for my needs.
    Sim neej aws...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-10-19, 05:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •