Thread: Vincent Van Gogh's Ear Controversy

Lightbulb Vincent Van Gogh's Ear Controversy

If you know anything about Van Gogh, the famous artist, you'll have heard about him cutting his ear off for some reason or another.

Was it self-multilation or cut off by someone else?

Read on:
    http://neatorama.cachefly.net/YB/gau...n-gogh-ear.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent...ar_Controversy
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I won't deny the possiblity that Gaugin could have done it, but it may be a bit of a stretch to say the most reasonable explanation is that a paiter with a sword cut off the ear of a suicidal man with a personal and family history of mental illness who had contracted syphilis a few years before. That sounds a little like my dog ate my homework. Or maybe that is just what Paul wanted us to think.

It could just as easily be possible that he thought Dr. Gachet could grow him another.

Either way, he was odd enought to give the lobe to a prostitute for safe keeping. With all due respect to Mr. Van Gogh, I don't think I would entrust any of my parts--severed or attached-- to a prostitute.

Missouri.slim
    Last edited by missouri.slim; 05-05-09 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Those darn typos keep sneakin' in.

Quote Originally Posted by missouri.slim View Post

Either way, he was odd enought to give the lobe to a prostitute for safe keeping. With all due respect to Mr. Van Gogh, I don't think I would entrust any of my parts--severed or attached-- to a prostitute.

Missouri.slim
    Modern psychology was *just* beginning to emerge as a science during Van Gogh's day, but it really isn't too much of a stretch to judge that the painter of "The Starry, Starry Night" was a few french fries short of a Happy Meal.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Modern psychology was *just* beginning to emerge as a science during Van Gogh's day, but it really isn't too much of a stretch to judge that the painter of "The Starry, Starry Night" was a few french fries short of a Happy Meal.
    The painting is called "The Starry Night". "Starry, Starry Night" is a song title.

Does it matter whether he cut off his own ear or Gaugin did it? I find it sad that there is so much interest on this, and so much emphasis placed on his mental illness. To all the scholars who spend their time theorizing about either topic, I'd like to say: Just look at his art, people!
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    The painting is called "The Starry Night". "Starry, Starry Night" is a song title.
    That's the opening line of the song, but the song's proper title is "Vincent."

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    The average person is already a few fries short. I think Van Gogh might be a whole burger short.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

I like the song Vincent, kinda odd this thread pop up since I had been listening to that song recently. In fact, I'm listening to it right now and looking at his art masterpieces.

It's very sad at the same time very moving.

Vincent Van Gogh had some serious mental issues.

It is a well known fact that he cut off his own ear. The exact reason why is a mystery but it was reported that he wrapped it in a newspaper and gave it to a local prostitute, telling her to keep it carefully.

I am surprised so many people question that he actually did this since it is such a well documented event. I thought the debate would be focused on why he did it...
    --=={Grundle}==--