Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oyster reefs in trouble

Default Oyster reefs in trouble

Apparently we should not be eating oysters anymore, too...

The Nature Conservancy released the first-ever comprehensive global report on the state of shellfish at the International Marine Conservation Congress in Washington, DC. The report, which finds that 85 percent of oyster reefs have been lost worldwide, concludes that oyster reefs are the most severely impacted marine habitat on the planet.

In the majority of individual bays around the world, there has been a greater than 90 percent loss of oyster reef habitat. In some areas, the loss of oyster reef habitat exceeds 99 percent -- globally, 85 percent of oyster reefs have been completely lost.

Reefs are functionally extinct in many areas, particularly in North America, Australia and Europe, and no are no longer able to provide any of the ecosystem services that benefit people.

Most of the world’s remaining wild capture of oysters comes from only five regions on the east coast of North America, and in most of these regions, oyster reefs are in poor condition or worse.

The driving forces behind the decline of oyster reefs include destructive fishing practices, coastal over-development, and associated effects of upstream activities such as altered river flows, dams, poorly managed agriculture and poor water quality. Many of these threats have been around for decades and even centuries, but today there are two main issues that impede oyster recovery efforts.

http://www.thefishsite.com/fishnews/...-have-vanished
    Man, I'm not sure what we can do about this, except to stop the consumption and harvesting of oysters.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

yeah and reduce our emmision of CO2

Well I do know that I personally have consumed at least 1/3rd of the world's oyster population, as well as the clams, scallops, and mussels. I have been known to sit at restaurants for hours with buckets full of those, and slurping for hours. The other day I had a sushi chef prepare me some raw abalone, and those are endangered as well. I am sorry about that, guys. Bad habit.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Apparently we should not be eating oysters anymore, too...

Man, I'm not sure what we can do about this, except to stop the consumption and harvesting of oysters.
    I seldomly eat oysters. However, for oyster lovers, they should continue eating what they like. Do not listen to these kind of propaganda from the lefties.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckC View Post
    Well I do know that I personally have consumed at least 1/3rd of the world's oyster population, as well as the clams, scallops, and mussels. I have been known to sit at restaurants for hours with buckets full of those, and slurping for hours. The other day I had a sushi chef prepare me some raw abalone, and those are endangered as well. I am sorry about that, guys. Bad habit.
    Just eating what you like as long as they are available and not violate the law of the land. Forget about the propaganda of the environmentalists.

How is wanting to preserve nature and the environment "propaganda" or something of the "lefties?"
    Humans are not the only living things on Earth, and should learn to respect other living things in the world. It has nothing to do with political orientation, but rather, with a basic moral responsibility. As well, things in nature are very intricately connected, so that if one species is wiped out, it could lead to potential disasters.

Just because you don't care about anything other than yourself doesn't mean that others should do the same.

I know that for myself, I have stopped consuming products that are known to be endagered (i.e. shark fin soup, and now oysters), because I want to be able to preserve nature. If that means giving up a very small luxury, that's perfectly fine with me.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Hehe lucky for me, I tend to not like those delicacies that are endangered. I will be fine until things like chicken and cows/ox become protected animals.

The idea of decreasing consumption also allows oyster populations to recover, so in the future, people are still able to enjoy oysters. We should eat things in moderation and this moderation should not only be guided by our health, but the availability of the product.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

I seldom frequent oyster since it is considered as exotic for me. Even if I love it, I can give it up and care less about whatever nutritious fact there can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I seldomly eat oysters. However, for oyster lovers, they should continue eating what they like. Do not listen to these kind of propaganda from the lefties.
    Just eating what you like as long as they are available and not violate the law of the land. Forget about the propaganda of the environmentalists.
    I'm just glad that your words doesn't register a single sh1t in the mind of anyone. I'm not sure if your pathetically inept mind does comprehend the consequences of the extreme reduction of each specie, due to the creature's functionality in the ocean, will cause an impact to the ocean so let me just tell you that the consequence of impact can be tragically severe. So, save those vicious words of yours, which makes one feel as ill as taking poison, to yourself!

So, your selfishness has caused you to continue your luxury living? So, if a murderer deserve to get their sentences, like every dirty harry, I feel, you too (and your likes), should deserve your desserts so that this world makes a better place to live in.

What difference do you make, from those you so-called "Lefties", when you're here instigating others to continue those unfortunate acts? Fu^k that! (Though, gladly, they don't work!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    I know that for myself, I have stopped consuming products that are known to be endagered (i.e. shark fin soup, and now oysters), because I want to be able to preserve nature. If that means giving up a very small luxury, that's perfectly fine with me.
    THANK YOU!! I would so fall in love with you....., if I can.

no less
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 07-10-09 at 06:17 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    The idea of decreasing consumption also allows oyster populations to recover, so in the future, people are still able to enjoy oysters. We should eat things in moderation and this moderation should not only be guided by our health, but the availability of the product.
    Absolutely!!
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

You should be fed to one of these endangered species, like the snow leopard. It'll be good for the environment, less pollution.
    玉木宏

blog

Quote Originally Posted by junny View Post
    You should be fed to one of these endangered species, like the snow leopard. It'll be good for the environment, less pollution.
    That was a clean and neat response! And, an intelligently funny one! Brilliant, Junny!

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    I seldom frequent oyster since it is considered as exotic for me. Even if I love it, I can give it up and care less about whatever nutritious fact there can be.

Yeah the nutrition in these exotic foods are overated anyhow.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Yeah the nutrition in these exotic foods are overated anyhow.
    No, it's not overrated. Don't mixed up. A fact can be read too many times, but never overrated.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 07-10-09 at 07:04 AM.

I never saw the appeal for oysters that much though. They taste alright, but not THAT great. The chicken my boyfriend's mom makes tastes better in my opinion. I guess some people just eat it to show that they can afford the "luxury." So in that case, it really should not be hard to give it up in order to preserve the environment.

As for oysters being an aphrodisiac - chocolate works way better, and is cheaper and not made from endangered species.
    Last edited by xJadedx; 07-10-09 at 02:27 PM.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    How is wanting to preserve nature and the environment "propaganda" or something of the "lefties?"
    Humans are not the only living things on Earth, and should learn to respect other living things in the world. It has nothing to do with political orientation, but rather, with a basic moral responsibility. As well, things in nature are very intricately connected, so that if one species is wiped out, it could lead to potential disasters.

Just because you don't care about anything other than yourself doesn't mean that others should do the same.

The phrase "Don't do as I do, do as I said" may work well with you but doesn't work on me. The so call champion of the environment telling Average Joe and Jane to conserve while they themself consume 20 times more than average Joe and Jane. This may work well with you as they are the leader, but doesn't work on me as I am neither second class citizen nor their slave.

The so called champion of the environment, who keep telling average Joe and Jane to make sacrifice for the common good, consume and damage the environment way way more than I have ever done. Their well written speeches may work well with you, but not me.

Too bad so sad that environmentalists don't get what they wanted. The phrase "don't do as I do, do as I said" doesn't work in society. Shark fin and oyster are available and the demand of these products is growing.

The so called champion of the environment, who keep telling average Joe and Jane to make sacrifice for the common good, consume and damage the environment way way more than I have ever done. Their well written speeches may work well with you, but not me.
    Too bad so sad that environmentalists don't get what they wanted. The phrase "don't do as I do, do as I said" doesn't work in society. Shark fin and oyster are available and the demand of these products is growing.
    I'm no environmentalist, but I'm not so stupid that I can't multi-quote. Get a life, please.
    玉木宏

blog

dam, i like oyster. they taste good, but i'll watch what I eat now... (last time I ate so much i got sick haha)

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    No, it's not overrated. Don't mixed up. A fact can be read too many times, but never overrated.
    ???

I am not debating whether it's a fact or not, although the term 'nutritious' can be twisted and blown out of proportion. There are other shellfish that can replace the nutritional value of oysters, or it can be omitted all together in a balanced diet. Oysters are not without its health risks.

Member of TC fanclub.