Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's up with the music of today?

Default What's up with the music of today?

What is happening to the music of today? All the songs played on radios these days, none of them appeal to me anymore. Eventually all the songs sound similar and boring. I have to go back to the songs/music I heard from years before. Especially the pop/rock/hip-hop.

Anyone feel the same?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I second that

The music of recent age seems to lose the substance in it.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

I stopped listening to the radio back in the '90s . One thing I can say though is that all these "emo" bands sound so much alike. It's as if they all have the same vocalist.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    I second that

The music of recent age seems to lose the substance in it.
    I third that. I've never really listened to the radio. I hate todays music. The love songs are superficial and the pain songs (or whatever you want to call them) are whiney. The newest band that I like stopped playing in 2003.
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

Music evolves, it's never what it used to be...:-)
    Happened to our grabdparents, happened to our parents and now it's happening to us - we just can't appreciate the contemporary mainstream stuff...:-)
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare View Post
    Happened to our grabdparents, happened to our parents and now it's happening to us - we just can't appreciate the contemporary mainstream stuff...:-)
    I can't even stand the music of my generation.
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

it's always been like that. there's only a few good songs that come out every year. however, the longer you live, the more "good" songs you can remember, and thus it appears there are less good songs comming out every year

otherwise, it's just the change in taste of your music

or, it could be that everything good has already been done in one form or another, thus everything begins to sound like one another

I agree to a certain extent, but only so much because my music tastes themselves make me find the current popular music to be quite annoying (i.e., most pop songs, emo rock bands, etc).

To cut modern music some slack though, you have to admit, one thing that makes music good is originality. Nowadays, it just seems to be harder to be original, since whatever you do, someone else probably has done it before you. So even if you do something that's really good (i.e. Coldplay's Viva la Vida), it could still just be influences by another artist (i.e. Joe Satriani's If I Could Fly). I don't think modern music is bad completely, just that it is much harder to find originality among them.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

There's a lack of ace songwriters like there were in the past...songwriters who had a knack for melodies. In the past, there was no shortage of such writers: Leiber-Stoller, Goffin-King, Holly, Sedaka, Anka, Lennon-McCartney, Simon, Dylan, etc. Songwriting craft has been steadily eroding during the past twenty years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    I stopped listening to the radio back in the '90s . One thing I can say though is that all these "emo" bands sound so much alike. It's as if they all have the same vocalist.
    The 90s was something of a golden age for British pop music, not just the quality, but also the variety.

i still love my k-pop
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    The 90s was something of a golden age for British pop music, not just the quality, but also the variety.
    That's because the '90s had a lot more grunge where I live and I freaking HATE grunge, can't stand it.

The best period in modern music for me was the end of the '70s to the end of the '80s when British music was the best all around. It is the time when Joy Division started and when New Order's mastery ended. It is the period when punk rock started and gave birth to some of the best bands in the history of modern pop music. During that period, The Cure, The Smiths, Echo & the Bunnymen, The Stone Roses, etc. were at their best. The Brits were great in the '90s, but they were phenomenal 10 and 15 years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    That's because the '90s had a lot more grunge where I live and I freaking HATE grunge, can't stand it.

The best period in modern music for me was the end of the '70s to the end of the '80s when British music was the best all around. It is the time when Joy Division started and when New Order's mastery ended. It is the period when punk rock started and gave birth to some of the best bands in the history of modern pop music. During that period, The Cure, The Smiths, Echo & the Bunnymen, The Stone Roses, etc. were at their best. The Brits were great in the '90s, but they were phenomenal 10 and 15 years earlier.
    I'll admit that I'm not as familiar with the music of the early 80s, and 70s especially, bar a few bands I've liked. What brought my attention to the 90s was a recent relisten to The Boo Radleys' Wake Up, a seldom mentioned album of that period. Here are a few tracks from it.

Wake Up Boo!
    Find the Answer Within
    Reaching Out From Here

Stuck on Amber is also great, but I can only find this live version.

I'm feeling you on that.

Every time my alarm comes on, it's when 'Boom Boom Pow' or 'Day and Night' is playing. Only occasionally is there the much-needed Daughtry song.

Ah well. It's just a phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare View Post
    Haha, true. 00's can't be compared to 90's music, 90's music can't be compared to 80's music, 80's music can't be compared to 70's music and it goes on and on.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

in 10 years, u'll be grateful of today's music
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

were gettin old...that's whats wrong lol...i bet the generation before us said the same thing about 90's music and the generation before that complained about their music.
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

The thing with popular music is that you can't be sure until YEARS after a work has fallen off the pop charts whether it's something of lasting artistic value or just the "flavor of the month." There are many once-popular hits that seemingly dominated the airwaves and record shop registers for months that are now forgotten and would be embarrassing to listen to today. Then again, there are also many songs that have endured for generations...first sung by a father or a grandfather and still now known and liked by his children or grandchildren.

But in the glare of immediate popularity, it's hard to distinguish the evergreens from the flashes-in-the-pan. People still listen to the Beatles, but does anyone still listen to Coolio (who?!)?

How many of you know about Pandora.com and use it, too?

My friend told me about it weeks ago and I only went on this website to listen to the music recently. It's pretty good in selecting music that is similar to your favorites and includes your favorite singers too.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by duguxiaojing View Post
    were gettin old...that's whats wrong lol...i bet the generation before us said the same thing about 90's music and the generation before that complained about their music.
    Is it really a generational thing? Like I've said before, when I look at the different decades, IMO the best period in modern music for me was the end of the '70s to the end of the '80s when British music was the best all around. I was too young to appreciate the music during that period. Most people are into music during their college years, yet I was not satisfied with the music of my time. In high-school, I often listened to the Beach Boys and other oldies. There are crappy songs in every generation, but as a whole I do have preferences and if you ask me, the music before my time was better. Now that I'm older, I find the music young people listen today much worse. How come I can appreciate the music that is not of my time? Surely it's not just a matter of being used to what is presented to us. It's like any products we buy. Things made in the '80s and before were of much better quality than today. Look at the old VCR players that were made in Japan, they were build like tanks. Today's consumer electronics are made of cheap plastic. I think music is the same, everything follow a trend that applies to all field. Quality is degrading in all aspect of our lives.