Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How-to Best Prepare Yourself for Travel by Airplane

Default How-to Best Prepare Yourself for Travel by Airplane

Share your knowledge about how to be prepared for traveling. What do you usually bring on your travels? Do you know all about the TSA regulations and prohibitions?

I tend to procrastinate when it comes to packing for a trip or vacation and sometimes don't bring all the things I need to bring because I forget.

I'm planning a trip to the West Coast soon and so, I'm reading up on the TSA stuff to prepare.
    http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

How many of you use those U-shape pillows on your travels? Does anyone know the price range for one of those pillows?

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I don't and I usually regret it.

Make a checklist of the things you need to bring. I guess as a male traveler I didn't have essential liquids in my carry on.

Used to have to confirm flight, and check the website before to see if there's any changes to your plane and weather etc. Everytime I fly out of New York, it snows...
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    How many of you use those U-shape pillows on your travels? Does anyone know the price range for one of those pillows?
    I don't use that but the average prices should be >$20, as stated in amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12421139...illow%20travel)

For me, at least a book, (make it two for long flight) as I can't sleep on the plane and the movies available usually don't catch my attention so I need to do something while everyone is sleeping. No matter how I try, sleeping is impossible.

Sweets for ears discomfort. Swallowing saliva and yawning may help but sweets work better for me.

Inhaler - just in case.

I'm not one of the travelers who can travel light and it never fails to amaze and amuse my colleagues and friends whenever I tell them what I bring along.

Check the airline rules regarding luggages. Pack accordingly. You will have to pay extra if your luggage is heavier than the limit.

Go to www.seatguru.com to look for a good seat, like more leg room. I usually pick aisle seats so that I don't have to bother other people when I have to get up.

----------
    Neck pillows, inflatable and non-inflatable, can go from $10-$100. Buy one if you need a pillow because pillows on the airplane are dirty.

Wear warm and comfortable clothes, like fleeces and sweat pants. You don't need a huge jacket.

I wear sandals so that I can easily take them off or put back on when leaving.

Noise canceling headphones. Get it if you travel often. They are usually over $100.
    ----------

During the flight, I like to get up, walk around and stretch a little every few hours.

No alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by BearBearNweather View Post

Sweets for ears discomfort. Swallowing saliva and yawning may help but sweets work better for me.
    I have an instant solution for that: when your ears are clogged by changing air pressure, hold your nose and attempt to blow your nose. That will clear everything. Repeat as needed.

my ears are really ****ed up alot of times when i'm on the plane, i get really BAD ear aches anyone know why??? how can i prevent it?!??!?!

are the U-pillows really all THAT great?

--if it's a long flight, i'd ususally bring a book, magazine, and sleeping pills. just pop them in and hopefully sleep through the whole ride hah.
    -pop a immunity tablet; boosts your immune system since you'll be in a congested area for a whilee

everytime i'm on the plane, i wish to god that a hot guy will sit next to me. nope

am i the only one that loves airports?
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by kay &!* View Post
    my ears are really ****ed up alot of times when i'm on the plane, i get really BAD ear aches anyone know why??? how can i prevent it?!??!?!
    Try my "hold your nose and blow" method; it works wonders for this problem. Instant, reliable relief.

am i the only one that loves airports?
    Airports are cool as long as you don't need to rush around in them. They were cooler before 9/11 (when the general public was welcome to linger around in them even when there was no flight to catch).

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Try my "hold your nose and blow" method; it works wonders for this problem. Instant, reliable relief.
    Works for me.

kay : I love airports, specially at nights. The lights are just beautiful, specially if your plane lands/takes off at night....

I can fall asleep easily without help from pills/alcohol and I can sleep 8-10 hrs straight My nose will wake me up if the food cart is coming my way That's why I like window seat so people don't bother my sleeping (when they need to go to toilets) and so that I can rest my head on pillow on the window (Yeah, I don't need those U-pillows to help me sleep).

I rarely fly long distance by myself, most of the time I always have somebody/friends to go with. This summer I have to fly back home by myself. So my question is, when you travel by yourself and you're at the airport waiting for your connecting flight....how do you go to restrooms? What about your carry-ons? Do you leave them outside your stall or do your carry them inside (but the stall is very small, isn't it?)

And my last question, does women's handbag count as carry-on? Even the small one?

yeah, i not only love the lights but it feels like im in the middle of no where hahaha. and i love chit-chatting with other people waiting for the next flight.. u get to meet ppl all over

i've travelled long distance by myself and it wasn't fun. wasn't too bad either but ****, i felt so lonely lol
    i had a small carry on so i brought it inside the stall with me. if it's too big, i'd probably wait and go to the handicapped one where it's much roomier.
    and i'm not too sure about this but i've been told that you can bring a carryon and an additional purse for the ladies.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

The best advice I can give is to pack light and don't check in your luggage, just carry it on. Saves you grief for when airport staff lose your bags, plus it saves you time in customs.

Guys how do you deal with the dryness? My lips and mouth gets real dry in a long flight, and difficulty breathing as my nose starts hurting from breathing in cold dry air. I keep drinking water, but that doesn't help much and makes me visit the loo lots.

Member of TC fanclub.

One thing I learned from my recent flight: bring motion sickness medication. On the way there, everything was fine and dandy. It was a windy day, so there was quite some turbulence. The pilot missed the landing 3 times, so the plane kept going up and down. By the time we went up for the second time, I was just concentrating on not hurling. My best friend who was sitting right next to me was pale as a dead person, and when the flight was over, we immediately dragged ourselves to the restroom to puke. Good thing my girls took my luggage for me. I took some medicine on the way back and felt great. =D

For my carry-on, I brought a GIGANTIC tote with me that included my handbag and a bunch of other stuff (and could probably fit me in it if I wanted). That way I didn't have to check in, and I had my things with me at all times.

Definitely make a check list. It really helps organize things.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Guys how do you deal with the dryness? My lips and mouth gets real dry in a long flight, and difficulty breathing as my nose starts hurting from breathing in cold dry air. I keep drinking water, but that doesn't help much and makes me visit the loo lots.
    Hahaha! Drinking is good to keep your mouth hydrated. But lips? If you have no problem with PDA, you can ask your girlfriend to travel with you and keep your lips moist for you. I do not know where that came from, I think the Cedric made me say that.
    Quote Originally Posted by KeongJai
    The best advice I can give is to pack light and don't check in your luggage, just carry it on. Saves you grief for when airport staff lose your bags, plus it saves you time in customs.
    Well I only keep the invalueable stuff with me on carry-on, the replaceable stuff are in the luggage check-in.

Hahaha! Drinking is good to keep your mouth hydrated. But lips? If you have no problem with PDA, you can ask your girlfriend to travel with you and keep your lips moist for you. I do not know where that came from, I think the Cedric made me say that.
    The Cedric? Now, I feel like I'm a plague, some sort of contagious flu ....or something to that effect.

Just keep my picture with you and it'll solve all problems.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Well I only keep the invalueable stuff with me on carry-on, the replaceable stuff are in the luggage check-in.
    Didn't see that coming - serious problem, I expected a serious answer for Super Serious Suet Seung. What's PDA?

So you don't get the dry lips and nasal cavity.? Do you or The Cedric have a solution for dry nose cavity. I've tried breathing in moist air over a cup of water and while trying to keep the water in the cup rather than the nose. I've tried put a wet towel on my nose. etc.

Member of TC fanclub.

Didn't see that coming - serious problem, I expected a serious answer for Super Serious Suet Seung. What's PDA?
    PDA - Personal Digital Administrator..... I guess?!

So you don't get the dry lips and nasal cavity.? Do you or The Cedric have a solution for dry nose cavity. I've tried breathing in moist air over a cup of water and while trying to keep the water in the cup rather than the nose. I've tried put a wet towel on my nose. etc.
    .... Let me finish my survival guide on Sinuses then perhaps I could offer you a solution or two. Meanwhile, maybe my PDASS would be able to help with a suggestion or two!?
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

1. Bring your Ipod, and download all the movies you haven't seen yet. Upload them so when you get on the flight, you can keep yourself entertained - the shows and movies they have on aeroplanes are terrible - OLD and BOORING! All their audio channels suck too - so IPOD is E.S.S.E.N.T.I.A.L

2. Also take along a Handheld gaming system. The DS is PERFECT for me to pass time.

3. Bring a book to read. Ok I'm repeating myself here. Basically bring something to entertain yourself. Trust me it's lovely to sit back relax and gaze into the sky but after a while that gets boring.

4. Make sure you buy those earplugs so when the plane takes off and lands the noise won't obliterate your ears.

5. Use the eye mask. It's incredibly difficult to sleep on a plane, even when the lights are turned off, and I CANNOT sleep with lights ON!

I remember back in the good ol' days when eye patches, toothbrushes/paste, socks were provided by the airlines.

Nowadays my food tray is stained, the pillow seems to be used, the ear phones are broken, the tv screen flickers, or maybe that's just United.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    PDA - Personal Digital Administrator..... I guess?!
    Public Displays of Affection

Quote Originally Posted by Sourplum View Post
    1. Bring your Ipod, and download all the movies you haven't seen yet. Upload them so when you get on the flight, you can keep yourself entertained - the shows and movies they have on aeroplanes are terrible - OLD and BOORING! All their audio channels suck too - so IPOD is E.S.S.E.N.T.I.A.L

2. Also take along a Handheld gaming system. The DS is PERFECT for me to pass time.

3. Bring a book to read. Ok I'm repeating myself here. Basically bring something to entertain yourself. Trust me it's lovely to sit back relax and gaze into the sky but after a while that gets boring.

4. Make sure you buy those earplugs so when the plane takes off and lands the noise won't obliterate your ears.

5. Use the eye mask. It's incredibly difficult to sleep on a plane, even when the lights are turned off, and I CANNOT sleep with lights ON!
    I am one of the few people that don't use an IPOD or anything of a Mp3 player. Neither do I play handheld gaming systems.

Yeah, I was thinking of earplugs. I own a set of earplugs. I'll try to remember that on my next flight.

I can't sleep with the lights on either, but when I'm sleepy and tired, I can sleep during the airplane flight. It's sleeping without a u-shape pillow to cradle your neck that is a pain.

I remember back in the good ol' days when eye patches, toothbrushes/paste, socks were provided by the airlines.

Nowadays my food tray is stained, the pillow seems to be used, the ear phones are broken, the tv screen flickers, or maybe that's just United.
    When was that?

I think I remember when airplane food used to be good. But then that was when I was still a kid, so tastes change.

They hardly offer food with the flight you paid anymore. You have to buy the snack pack or meal separately.

The fast food at the airports are freaking expensive. You'll never find those prices at the fast food franchises outside of the airport.

I think that's United or whatever. The airplane I've traveled in always have stuff new or gently used.