Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: CFA

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    You should spend more time in the questions in the beginning for that reason. Try to get as many in the beginning as you can.
    Is the GMAT adaptive like the GRE these days? i.e. if you answer correctly you're given more difficult questions for more points, and if you answer incorrectly you're given easier questions for less points.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

    -KotOR

  2. #22
    Senior Member jiang bao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,489

    Default

    Yes.

    Having taken both GMAT and GRE, they were quite similar. Though taking GMAT second and having a good night sleep beforehand, the GMAT felt easier, particularly the math.

    In the verbal part, I hate the reading comprehension portion the most. They can eat up much time. Other than that, verbal was easy for me -- probably cuz I dealt with language a lot in my job after undergrad.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

    Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

  3. #23
    Senior Member xJadedx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,866

    Default

    The GRE is such a crap measure for how well a person would do in graduate school.

    But I'd still have to ace it for my applications.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    6,638

    Default

    dang u guys make it so hard, now i dunno if i wanna take it anymore. do u need a cfa to be a financial advisor?
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

    Entries due July 31st, 2016!

  5. #25
    Senior Member yittz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    The GRE is such a crap measure for how well a person would do in graduate school.

    But I'd still have to ace it for my applications.
    So Canada same system as US? Don't see how being good at GMAT is highly correlated to being a good research student.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

    Member of TC fanclub.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    dang u guys make it so hard, now i dunno if i wanna take it anymore. do u need a cfa to be a financial advisor?
    That depends on what you mean by financial advisor. If you just mean someone who can sell you mutual funds or VULs for commission as your "advisor" then you're better off just going for a Series 7 and the like. The CFA itself isn't really geared towards personal financial planning for that you're better off with a CFP, PFS, etc. The CFA is more geared towards portfolio managers, traders, etc.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

    -KotOR

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    The GRE is such a crap measure for how well a person would do in graduate school.

    But I'd still have to ace it for my applications.
    Considering how graduate school is very specialized based on your field, and the GRE is a general test irrespective of your field... the most it could illustrate is that people who tend to score high on their GRE tend to be motivated, and motivated people do better in grad school.

    In retrospect the GRE was pretty much the same as the SAT if you excluded the analytical section... I think I could've scored about the same or maybe higher if I took the GRE when I took the SAT. The math section was still high school math, and my general reading and writing skills have been in decline since the end of high school.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

    -KotOR

  8. #28
    Senior Member xJadedx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darkcser View Post
    Considering how graduate school is very specialized based on your field, and the GRE is a general test irrespective of your field... the most it could illustrate is that people who tend to score high on their GRE tend to be motivated, and motivated people do better in grad school.

    In retrospect the GRE was pretty much the same as the SAT if you excluded the analytical section... I think I could've scored about the same or maybe higher if I took the GRE when I took the SAT. The math section was still high school math, and my general reading and writing skills have been in decline since the end of high school.
    Like I was telling my friend the other day, the GRE only shows how much hard work a person is willing to put into something completely irrelevant to their later research, just so they can get into the research in the first place. In a nicer way, it shows dedication. However, dedication is not the only thing that you need to be successful later on in research.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

  9. #29
    Senior Member duguxiaojing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,492

    Default

    that's the 3 certified financial analyist test thing? If so my friend just failed it....supposedly the first test has a thirty percent pass rate =X
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •