Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Ultimatum - Fann Wong, Zoe Tay and a star-studded cast

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
    I agree. You're being too harsh.

I thought the story was generally interesting. Tension was maintained throughout and there was hardly a dull moment.

I liked the way that some of the elements in the storyline were gradually introduced through flashbacks that not only provided background to the story but were interesting in their own right. Also, they were short enough so as to not disrupt the pacing in the main story.

And the ending provided closure for most of the major characters, the lack of which The Little Nyonya was criticised for.

Still, I would also agree that the series was far from perfect.

For one, I thought the ending, while providing closure, was, on the whole, a bit bland. The revelation about Zhang Feng came a bit too soon in my opinion, leaving nothing particularly interesting for the ending. Perhaps the producers just wanted to make the revelation early enough to set up the gambling scene in the penultimate episode.

Also, I thought the storyline involving the relationship between Sun Min and Fang Songqing wasn't interesting enough and became a bit of a distraction instead. I would have preferred Sun Min to have spent more time with Zhou Zhida, putting more focus on the Zhou Zhida-Zhang Feng angle, and perhaps building it up towards a more exciting climax for the gambling scene towards the end.

The same could perhaps be said also of the relationship between Fang Songqiao and He Chaoqun, although in this case, at least it provided an input into the closure of the more important Fang Songqiao-Sun Jie storyline.

I think acting was generally not a strong point of this show, although I also think all the leads came through well in the more emotionally-intense scenes in the final episode. I did like Jerry Yeo's performance as baddie Ye Rende, although some might say it was a bit over-the-top. Li Nanxing's contrasting dual role as Zhou Zhida and Zhang Feng was also rather fun to watch.

Suspense is an important element in shows of this genre, and while it was generally maintained throughout this series, the producers missed at least one chance of making it better by revealing the mastermind behind the kidnapping of Ye Renzhong too soon.

To me, the series could do with a bit more humour. As it is, it maintained a serious tone almost throughout, except perhaps for the short period in which it focused on Zhou Zhida and Sun Min. This isn't necessarily a criticism of the show though since it obviously wasn't meant to be a comedy. I just thought The Golden Path, a series in the same genre, did a slightly better job at injecting humour into the story.

On the whole, though, I'd say that this is a good show to watch.
    Yeah, I'd prefer to have more focus on Sun Min and Zhou Zhida, Sun Min being a main character, while her character as by the script is underdeveloped and plain. They could pull up a story with her being involved with more gambling scenes, but they chose to make her emotionally injured.. which is not related to the gambling plot of the story.. just related to the Yes' evil deeds

Jerry Yeo did a great job, as proven by his winnings as the Ultimate Baddie..

Songqing doesn't play a big role here either, his role is quite redundant.. what does a Prince of Cakes have to do with the gambling theme? Other than he is Songqiao's brother and he likes Sun Min, there's nothing of importance to his role.

Also, I feel Songqiao and Chaoqun's relationship was underdeveloped. Why did she fall for him so quickly? It was not explained. Although I liked her and Sun Jie together, the sudden entrance of Chaoqun's character creating a love square was a bit strange.

Li Nanxing and Zoe Tay, being veterans, did an awesomely great performance. Felicia Chin and Zhang Zhenhuan have much to improve on, but many people/fans and non-fans comment that Felicia is doing a better job, showing much improvement in her expressions, but with some slight over-exaggerations. Li Nanxing was more impressive as Zhang Feng, unfortunately we do not see enough of Zhang Feng other than flashbacks and final few episodes, and it is not explained thoroughly of his disappearance, and his disappearance at the final episode..

Lin Meijiao's character was a different one, she played a pitiful and weak character this time, not of much screen time, but did a good job.
    How many dramas have there been with Chen Shucheng in them, I wonder. Well, I cannot imagine Zhu Houren in this role, however. He might look strange with spectacles, as he does in MY Buddy. I can't imagine him as a lecher or a casanova who raped an employee in his 20's. =D

I'm looking forward to more Zoe-Nanxing pairings tho'
    wished zhang feng had more screen time

Couldn't disagree on your post. Brilliant viewpoints.
    I do agreeeeee that the ending is bland. Please, they can do better than this. I really miss the old days, TCS dramas were really great back then.
    Last edited by XWingSuki; 07-11-09 at 01:45 AM.
    not watching anything specific at the moment.

Visit my blog
    Visit June's blog

Love Chen Qiao En, June Tsai, Chen Jingxuan, Eelyn Kok, Shu Chang, and many others

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
    I agree. You're being too harsh.

I thought the story was generally interesting. Tension was maintained throughout and there was hardly a dull moment.

I liked the way that some of the elements in the storyline were gradually introduced through flashbacks that not only provided background to the story but were interesting in their own right. Also, they were short enough so as to not disrupt the pacing in the main story.

And the ending provided closure for most of the major characters, the lack of which The Little Nyonya was criticised for.

Still, I would also agree that the series was far from perfect.

For one, I thought the ending, while providing closure, was, on the whole, a bit bland. The revelation about Zhang Feng came a bit too soon in my opinion, leaving nothing particularly interesting for the ending. Perhaps the producers just wanted to make the revelation early enough to set up the gambling scene in the penultimate episode.

Also, I thought the storyline involving the relationship between Sun Min and Fang Songqing wasn't interesting enough and became a bit of a distraction instead. I would have preferred Sun Min to have spent more time with Zhou Zhida, putting more focus on the Zhou Zhida-Zhang Feng angle, and perhaps building it up towards a more exciting climax for the gambling scene towards the end.

The same could perhaps be said also of the relationship between Fang Songqiao and He Chaoqun, although in this case, at least it provided an input into the closure of the more important Fang Songqiao-Sun Jie storyline.

I think acting was generally not a strong point of this show, although I also think all the leads came through well in the more emotionally-intense scenes in the final episode. I did like Jerry Yeo's performance as baddie Ye Rende, although some might say it was a bit over-the-top. Li Nanxing's contrasting dual role as Zhou Zhida and Zhang Feng was also rather fun to watch.

Suspense is an important element in shows of this genre, and while it was generally maintained throughout this series, the producers missed at least one chance of making it better by revealing the mastermind behind the kidnapping of Ye Renzhong too soon.

To me, the series could do with a bit more humour. As it is, it maintained a serious tone almost throughout, except perhaps for the short period in which it focused on Zhou Zhida and Sun Min. This isn't necessarily a criticism of the show though since it obviously wasn't meant to be a comedy. I just thought The Golden Path, a series in the same genre, did a slightly better job at injecting humour into the story.

On the whole, though, I'd say that this is a good show to watch.
    Jerry Yeo did a good job. overall, I say a main weakness of this drama was the plot. it started out really well but what i thought was crappy was that the storyline became increasingly ridiculous. I thought the Zhang Fei zhou zhi da twist was contrived maybe I don't take to Li NanXing's acting esp his shouting. Fann Wong looked lovely in the drama thought, Terence Cao was competent and I like Zoe's hair.

there, just some other random comments I have.
    Last edited by strawberry; 07-11-09 at 02:25 AM. Reason: too short

unfortunately we do not see enough of Zhang Feng other than flashbacks and final few episodes, and it is not explained thoroughly of his disappearance, and his disappearance at the final episode..
    It was explained, but the reason and logic behind it is so dumb you'd want to bang your head against the wall.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    Jerry Yeo did a good job. overall, I say a main weakness of this drama was the plot. it started out really well but what i thought was crappy was that the storyline became increasingly ridiculous. I thought the Zhang Fei zhou zhi da twist was contrived maybe I don't take to Li NanXing's acting esp his shouting. Fann Wong looked lovely in the drama thought, Terence Cao was competent and I like Zoe's hair.

there, just some other random comments I have.
    the two main actresses' hairstyles suited them.
    yeah the drama had a good start but a bad bland ending.
    i thought the plot was very underdeveloped and they (mediacorp) can at least do better, to live up to their name.

zhou zhida is a bit boring, he pales in comparison to the enticing zhang feng, but at least we can see the differences in the two roles li nanxing has to play.
    it's supposed to be a gambling drama, but what is in the drama is rivalry, rivalry and more rivalry.

Visit my blog
    Visit June's blog

Love Chen Qiao En, June Tsai, Chen Jingxuan, Eelyn Kok, Shu Chang, and many others

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    It was explained, but the reason and logic behind it is so dumb you'd want to bang your head against the wall.
    Agreed ! only i won't do that...not worth it lol !!

http://divaasia.com/article/4399

I feel sorry for Zoe.

It's still a discriminating society (for women) in general. Christopher Lee was caught in the same situation before, but nobody said he should be retiring.

I wonder what's wrong with aging. I think those people who said Zoe should retire and etc., are too inconsiderate beyond belief.

For one, they have parents and elders too, who obviously are, or will be wrinkled. Is that also not an indirect insult to them?

For two, they will grow old and have wrinkles too.

Hearts out to Zoe, who will always be the Queen of Caldecott Hill to me.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Maybe they should have found older actresses e.g. Li Yin Zhu to act the mothers.
    Hong Huifang and Lin Meijiao like same age with Zoe and Fann.
    About the same, perhaps.
    They look too young to be the mothers' ages.

Visit my blog
    Visit June's blog

I haven't watch, but it sound very interest. Can you guy tell where to watch. It this going to be another gamble series for zoe tay. You guy use character name can you tell me by using real instead

I believe the DVD was released some time ago. Of course, it's also available as usual on video websites.

Note that gambling is only a minor part of this show. It's mainly about family and boardroom rivalry and intrigue.