Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimatum - Fann Wong, Zoe Tay and a star-studded cast

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I've seen a few Singapore TV series and I am just amazed at the story scripts they come up with. It's actually quite interesting, maybe TVB needs to learn from Singapore. Of the Singaporean series I've seen, they're actually quite well-done.

Unfortunately, I can't watch them on TV, so I find whatever I can find online to watch. And eventually they're removed.

Strawberry, I really like the theme song. Who sings it? And yes, it's very star-studded!Many of the actors and actresses, I've seen in the past are all here. I like Ping Hui. I think he's a great actor.
    it's on Youtube.
    not watching anything specific at the moment.

Visit my blog
    Visit June's blog

Love Chen Qiao En, June Tsai, Chen Jingxuan, Eelyn Kok, Shu Chang, and many others

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I've seen a few Singapore TV series and I am just amazed at the story scripts they come up with. It's actually quite interesting, maybe TVB needs to learn from Singapore. Of the Singaporean series I've seen, they're actually quite well-done.

Unfortunately, I can't watch them on TV, so I find whatever I can find online to watch. And eventually they're removed.

Strawberry, I really like the theme song. Who sings it? And yes, it's very star-studded!Many of the actors and actresses, I've seen in the past are all here. I like Ping Hui. I think he's a great actor.
    Sis, are you serious?

I'm sure quite a number of Singaporeans have the opposite view.

Quote Originally Posted by FruityPunch View Post
    They were never close. He was somewhat polite to her because she helped him get out of trouble several times.
    I see. Thank you for explaining.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

is there any capital punishment in this series?

Fann Wong is a hottie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    is there any capital punishment in this series?

Fann Wong is a hottie.
    Not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Not yet.
    Pirates?

... as long as they don't capital punish Fann Wong

Pirates?

... as long as they don't capital punish Fann Wong
    There's no pirates in this series. She's an upright lawyer in the show.

There's no pirates in this series. She's an upright lawyer in the show.
    ... Then I hope she doesn't specialize in Capital Punishment Law

Is this series released on DVD? Singapore series are very rare to get here.

... Then I hope she doesn't specialize in Capital Punishment Law

Is this series released on DVD? Singapore series are very rare to get here.
    It is likely to get released in DVD, but I'm not sure if they ship it to Canada.

This series rather attracts me. I have been trying not to miss out any episodes.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    This series rather attracts me. I have been trying not to miss out any episodes.
    Hehe... Zoe's Yuchen getting more and more BT.

But I feel sorry for her also. Her family for over 30 years, were all too eager to dump her after learning she's not related to them at all. And for most of her life, she had done nothing but work hard and contribute to the family.

Hehe... Zoe's Yuchen getting more and more BT.

But I feel sorry for her also. Her family for over 30 years, were all too eager to dump her after learning she's not related to them at all. And for most of her life, she had done nothing but work hard and contribute to the family.
    BT?

Yes, I like her character very much. Can I use the word, diverse? Her character gives this feel of an active rhythm. She's evil yet the roots to her evilness were established in the way that you felt sorry for her instead of hating her. Or, is it because she is Zoe Tay?

I like Fann Wong's character too. I never liked her past characters nor pay much attention to them, but this is an exception.

The male characters, including Li Nanxing and Tay Pinghui, are more like supportings of the female leads, IMO. Renyi's an arse and Rende is a prick.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

BT?

Yes, I like her character very much. Can I use the word, diverse? Her character gives this feel of an active rhythm. She's evil yet the roots to her evilness were established in the way that you felt sorry for her instead of hating her. Or, is it because she is Zoe Tay?

I like Fann Wong's character too. I never liked her past characters nor pay much attention to them, but this is an exception.

The male characters, including Li Nanxing and Tay Pinghui, are more like supportings of the female leads, IMO. Renyi's an arse and Rende is a prick.
    What? Rende is only a prick??

BT = Biantai

Absolutely hate Songqiao and Sun Jie's approach in trying to force a confession out of Yuchen. If she won't admit in private, what's the chances she would do so in public? Going by Yuchen's personality and all, she is the type who will most likely admit in private than in public.

The most puking part is when Songqiao told Yuchen it's all for her own good blah blah blah, but how is it convincing when she had tried so hard to shame Yuchen in public? During Ye Songnian's wake?

And unlike Ye Songnian's incident, what happened at the wake wasn't a result of impulsiveness. It was through Songqiao's calm thoughts. So it's hard to swallow her claims that she was being truly altruistic. There was obviously some vengence elements, but she probably still wants to maintain her goody-two-old-shoes image so she tried her best to hide it by acting like it's out of justice and righteousness.

Ultimately, I think what Songqiao did will just serve to push Yuchen more to the edge... where she will finally fall and crush to a painful death, though Yuchen does have to bear some responsibility in that ending.

Good job, Songqiao.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 07-03-09 at 03:15 AM.

Absolutely hate Songqiao and Sun Jie's approach in trying to force a confession out of Yuchen. If she won't admit in private, what's the chances she would do so in public? Going by Yuchen's personality and all, she is the type who will most likely admit in private than in public.

The most puking part is when Songqiao told Yuchen it's all for her own good blah blah blah, but how is it convincing when she had tried so hard to shame Yuchen in public? During Ye Songnian's wake?

And unlike Ye Songnian's incident, what happened at the wake wasn't a result of impulsiveness. It was through Songqiao's calm thoughts. So it's hard to swallow her claims that she was being truly altruistic. There was obviously some vengence elements, but she probably still wants to maintain her goody-two-old-shoes image so she tried her best to hide it by acting like it's out of justice and righteousness.

Ultimately, I think what Songqiao did will just serve to push Yuchen more to the edge... where she will finally fall and crush to a painful death, though Yuchen does have to bear some responsibility in that ending.

Good job, Songqiao.
    Ok, so should this "Good job" mentioned be in quotes or you genuinely meant SQ did a good job?

Ok, so should this "Good job" mentioned be in quotes or you genuinely meant SQ did a good job?
    I'm sincere in my 'compliment' that she did a good job in pushing Yuchen over the edge.

There was obviously some vengence elements, but she probably still wants to maintain her goody-two-old-shoes image so she tried her best to hide it by acting like it's out of justice and righteousness.
    Not so sure that's obvious. She's shown similar indiscretion in cases earlier in the show even when personal vengeance wasn't involved. Seems to me that an inflexible sense of justice is, indeed, the constant theme in her characterisation.

Friday's revelation about Zhang Feng was interesting. I would have preferred a bit more mystery to have been retained until later, but I'll set aside final judgement until I see the ending.

So Yuchen has finally gone kookoo and snapped.

Which reminds me... I have school tomorrow night and won't be able to catch most of the last episode... SIGH. I'm just so gooooooood at missing crucial and last episodes.

So Yuchen has finally gone kookoo and snapped.

Which reminds me... I have school tomorrow night and won't be able to catch most of the last episode... SIGH. I'm just so gooooooood at missing crucial and last episodes.
    Awwww, I'll watch you for you!

This show turned out to be utterly dumb..ok maybe I am too harsh but it really turned out pretty crappy....Little nonya's storyline is far more superior even though I personally still can't stomach Jeanette Aw's voice.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    This show turned out to be utterly dumb..ok maybe I am too harsh but it really turned out pretty crappy....Little nonya's storyline is far more superior even though I personally still can't stomach Jeanette Aw's voice.
    I agree. You're being too harsh.

I thought the story was generally interesting. Tension was maintained throughout and there was hardly a dull moment.

I liked the way that some of the elements in the storyline were gradually introduced through flashbacks that not only provided background to the story but were interesting in their own right. Also, they were short enough so as to not disrupt the pacing in the main story.

And the ending provided closure for most of the major characters, the lack of which The Little Nyonya was criticised for.

Still, I would also agree that the series was far from perfect.

For one, I thought the ending, while providing closure, was, on the whole, a bit bland. The revelation about Zhang Feng came a bit too soon in my opinion, leaving nothing particularly interesting for the ending. Perhaps the producers just wanted to make the revelation early enough to set up the gambling scene in the penultimate episode.

Also, I thought the storyline involving the relationship between Sun Min and Fang Songqing wasn't interesting enough and became a bit of a distraction instead. I would have preferred Sun Min to have spent more time with Zhou Zhida, putting more focus on the Zhou Zhida-Zhang Feng angle, and perhaps building it up towards a more exciting climax for the gambling scene towards the end.

The same could perhaps be said also of the relationship between Fang Songqiao and He Chaoqun, although in this case, at least it provided an input into the closure of the more important Fang Songqiao-Sun Jie storyline.

I think acting was generally not a strong point of this show, although I also think all the leads came through well in the more emotionally-intense scenes in the final episode. I did like Jerry Yeo's performance as baddie Ye Rende, although some might say it was a bit over-the-top. Li Nanxing's contrasting dual role as Zhou Zhida and Zhang Feng was also rather fun to watch.

Suspense is an important element in shows of this genre, and while it was generally maintained throughout this series, the producers missed at least one chance of making it better by revealing the mastermind behind the kidnapping of Ye Renzhong too soon.

To me, the series could do with a bit more humour. As it is, it maintained a serious tone almost throughout, except perhaps for the short period in which it focused on Zhou Zhida and Sun Min. This isn't necessarily a criticism of the show though since it obviously wasn't meant to be a comedy. I just thought The Golden Path, a series in the same genre, did a slightly better job at injecting humour into the story.

On the whole, though, I'd say that this is a good show to watch.