Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: most overated hong kong celebrity

Charmaine Sheh. I don't hate her but she is most definitely overrated. TVB's got an unhealthy obsession with her.
    *-._.-*-._.-* carpe diem *-._.-*-._.-*
    www.the-exalted-rambles.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydayz3 View Post
    Charmaine Sheh. I don't hate her but she is most definitely overrated. TVB's got an unhealthy obsession with her.
    so true the most overrated

I'm the opposite.. I absolutely detest her angelic and too-wonderful-to-be-true roles, but have to admit she can really act. Give her more villain roles like in HSDS 2000, and she'll be able to do more. If she gets written as the same perfect girl in every series she's never going to be able to show people her ability to act in other roles.

In what way does TVB has an unhealthy obsession with her? Her acting in 2 series per year?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Only 2 girls comes to mind

Linda Chung & Charmaine Sheh

just can't stand their acting; luckily they only in TVB series currently

Lets talk about TVb first. I find that TVB tries to hard to promote Linda and Myolie in roles that they are not ready for.

(1) I do agree that Linda is improving heaps but her roles need to be more diverse. Hate her good-girl-next-door roles but she can be very captivating in bad girl roles like "A Journey of Life". And would TVB please stop making her sing! Her voice is nice but not versatile and is only suited to sing certain type of songs.

(2) Myolie on the other hand, seems to be getting worse and worse in acting since "Golden Faith". Her performance seems to be frozen in the same level all these years and her facial expressions stay the same. She overacts like crazy angry expressions and her crying annoys me. Her roles are not likeable and it does not help her career. Maybe TVB should take her out of the main female lead roles for a while and let her absorb into a good supporting character.

(3) Ron, I do not think is overpromoted, but he really needs to improve his acting. He sure has shown improvement but he has a long way to go. I think he should get somre subtle roles as he overacts when he gets hot-headed and assertive roles. But he shines in quiet gentlemanly roles.

(4) Kevin Cheng seems to be in a lot of series and is in the papers a lot, but to me, his acting ability varies in each series and there is no consistency. Please give him an evil role.

(5) As for Charmiane, she's not TVB best actress but she can act, however she can be bland (but cute) in good-girl roles. She is best at characters that are both good and evil, and she can really cry well and show inner depth. So Charmaine is not overated to me, but TVB should consider putting her in more drama than comedies.

(6) Gigi Lai is not a good actress. She had her moments, and isn't exactly bad, but she's not great either. She overacts like crazy and cries exaggerately and rolls her eyes wide all the time. She's better than most new actresses nowadays but (IMO) not ranked among the best.

As for the movie industry,

(1) Louis Koo may be handsome and charasmatic but his acting is not good and in even though he can do silly roles, he can appear plain, repetitive and uninteresting. I do approve his move of heading towards series drama roles that show depth (like "Overheard"), but he really needs to get clean of silly meaningless comedies.

(2) Chapman To is annoying, and drives me up the wall. Sure he can act, and he did a good job in "Infernal Affairs" but seeing him in all these movies drives me mad. First of all, he is not good-looking and secondly, he seems to repeat the same cheap expressions. In fact, I haven't seen a good performance from him since that movie with Leon Lai.

(3) Michelle Ye is like a vase. She used to be in the papers a lot and ATV tried to promote her and now she is trying to get into movies. She is pretty but she can't act. Her crying is bad and her voice is montonous. She will make a good model, but as an actress, she is really lacking.

(4) Maggie Q. She's everywhere now, even in Hollywoood. Her acting is so-so and she isn't that pretty. She has a good figure but to me, she looks very out of place in movies.

(5) Zhang Zi Yi was once a upon a time a good actress. But now she seems to be repetitive and overacting in roles that aren't suited for her. I feel that she tries too hard and should stop doing exaggerated sexy scenes (The Banquet, Memoirs of A Geisha) - makes her look fake.

Regarding the previous comments,

(1) Carina Lau is not overated. She has made a lot of good movies and has many soulful performances. Not winning an award doesn't not equal bad actress.

(2) Jackie Chan and Donnie Yen are praised for their physical abilities, not acting. So they are not overated as they make very good movies (well, Jackie used to) and has made a lot of contribution to the Hk film industry.

(3) Shu Qi is a very good actress and she gives a lot of depth in her characters. I admire her for her clean cut-off from her previous image as a Cat III actress. She can be annoying in early roles, but her later roles are really good. And Cat III actress label does not equal sleeping around for fame.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted View Post
    Cecilia Cheung
    Many people praised her as a great actress. But, after watching so many of her movies, I'm still unable to see that greatness that everyone is talking about. She's not a bad actress. She's decent and able to deliver. But, I don't get the over praises. Definitely overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted View Post
    I'm probably in the minority, but I think Maggie Cheung is/was overrated. It always bothered me that she has been ranked so highly in the HK industry. She is not pretty, and her acting is nothing spectacular.
    Yes to this! I never understood the hype. She started out really cute when she was Miss HK but that was it. Her acting is monotonous and dead as wood. Also she doesn't seem to age well (when she first started out, she used to smile all the time but after she became "famous" she's given the press stiff, practically plastic smiles. What's up with that?).

Oh yeah, Charmaine and Myolie! TVB has turned its leading ladies into little hopeless girly-puppets (compared to the ladies in the 80's, today's "stars" are pathetic.).

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer88 View Post
    Eric Tsang- no matter how many triad leaders he plays, I can't see him as anything other than a non threatenting overacting dwarf. If he was a real triad leader, I imagine he would be laughed at and promtly beaten to a pulp. Not bad as a comedy actor, but his dramatic stuff is just unrealistic and unintentionally funny to me.
    Eric Tsang reminds me of Mr. Potato Head or that character from the Lao Fuzi comics (the short guy). His voice grates and his humor is crude (sorry heckling Miss HK wannabes are not cool). His cohort, don't know his English name but his the googly fish-eyed one called Ah-Lik, is a jerk too.

Charmaine Sheh is really OVERATED!!
    Look at Tavia Yeung, she start out as small roles in 1999 and up to now in 2009, she haven't got many LEAD roles. Look at her series List compared to Charmaine who have no acting training like Tavia, but always get LEAD roles in every freaking series have her.
    She ain't that pretty anyways, Tavia is WAYYYY prettier!!

I agree w/ charbydis list & add few more, such as michelle reis don't get me start w/ her, she's a totally vase from beginning to end. Charmaine need more versatile role I'm really tired of her good girl character. Linda chung I don't understand what everybody saying she is can't act. You forgot to add Zhang yi on the list, somehow her acting seem to go backward instead of improving. Those of you whose want to watch good series from TVB try Revolving Doors of Vengeance is decent acting. They need new blood in the industry & stop the overate kind

Quote Originally Posted by bachtuyet View Post
    Those of you whose want to watch good series from TVB try Revolving Doors of Vengeance is decent acting. They need new blood in the industry & stop the overate kind
    Ron Ng still couldn't act in 'Revolving Doors of Vengeance'. He has improved quite a bit now. But, in RDOV, his acting was still quite poor.

Ron Ng used to be over-promoted, but, was never overrated.

Anyway, I still like him. Glad to see him improves slowly. I guess not being promoted too much and too fast helps (TVB used to promote him too fast, but, they have slowed down now). It gives him time to hone his skill. It's the same case with Elaine Yiu. She's so much better now compare to her performance in 'Safe Guard'.

Quote Originally Posted by clfan View Post
    Charmaine Sheh is really OVERATED!!
    Look at Tavia Yeung, she start out as small roles in 1999 and up to now in 2009, she haven't got many LEAD roles. Look at her series List compared to Charmaine who have no acting training like Tavia, but always get LEAD roles in every freaking series have her.
    She ain't that pretty anyways, Tavia is WAYYYY prettier!!
    I couldn't agree more

Charmaine is better than kate tsui. Kate doesn't look good in many many many angles, and she cannot act. Geez, and almost every role she's in, she has the lead. This is turrible.

Charmaine Sheh. Admittedly, she has impressed me in some roles, such as in that series with Dayo Wong, and in 'War and Beauty'. But generally she is terrible - her smiles are so forced, she recites her lines ('Can't buy me love', anyone?) or else she forces dynamics into them, and her so-called "versatility" in 'A Maiden's vow' had more to do with script + costuming than actual acting. When she is on screen, I feel that she's really "acting", not becoming a character.

Roger Kwok. I really, really, REALLY don't understand how people can say he can act. People will bash me for this, go ahead, but I maintain my position. I simply don't get how he won an award for the same role - twice! He's fake, ridiculous, exaggerated, can't talk properly (he slurs like crazy)...that's the main thing I think, he can't talk properly, which is the first qualification an actor should have. He is simply bad, whether in comedy or drama. Let's not even talk about the whole "becoming a character" thing.

As for movies...I tend to avoid HK movies like the plague. Even more so for HK "music". =P

(Woo, feel much better now after venting!)

Jay Chow as an actor.

He has the same wooden expression in every single movie. It's like he doesn't even bother to try to act; as if his mere presence in the movie is good enough to carry the film. It's not.

Easy. Charmaine Sheh.

A flat, one-dimensional actress, yet she somehow manages to win tons of awards for playing the same character series after series.