Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: most overated hong kong celebrity

Red face most overated hong kong celebrity

opinions on who and why you think that someone is an overated celebrity.

mine are:
    1. jacky chan - always acting pious but we all know he neglects his wife and children

2. ella koon - does anybody remembers what she does other than appearing on game shows (i know she was a singer but remember her songs?)

3. suki chui - what does she do?

4. carina lau - why does she ended up presenting best movies every year when she has not won a single award in HK Film Award? being married/ dating best actor does not count as an achievement

5. toby leung - just bcos her dad is tommy leung of tvb doesn't mean she automatically can act - u see her everywhere....

Definitely Fala Chen.

As a jackie chan fan here, I know he has a shady private life. But overrated actor? I think as an actor/entertainer, he's done more than enough to prove that he's one of the best at his work.

Why do you have Toby Leung in there? Overrated means ppl actually thinking she's good. From what i've heard, she usually gets bashed.

I think Leon Lai is a overrated actor. Sure he won best actor b4, but he is still a bad actor.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by komawong View Post
    4. carina lau - why does she ended up presenting best movies every year when she has not won a single award in HK Film Award? being married/ dating best actor does not count as an achievement
    You're welcome to dislike her, of course, but she is an industry veteran and frequent actress in WKW films. If she was disliked by the industry she wouldn't have gotten as much support as she did after the EastWeek photo scandal.

----

I don't know if he counts as a celebrity, but director Johnnie To's films often disappoint me.

toby leung shouldnt even be compared as an actress

cecilia cheung is a bit overrated

all the members of cookies (stephy, theresa, miki, kary) are overrated

kate tsui

leon lai.. i agree is overrated

raymond lam
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

quick hide b4 raymond fan's attack you.

i don't agree with raymond though, i think he's a consistent actor and sometimes manage to shine in his roles.

Ron Ng is overated, but i heard his improving.

Susan Tse is overated, have seen her in a few films and only found her up to par in one.

Charmaine Sheh(?) is overated, but she did have some good moments.

Gigi Lai is overated, she had so many films and although she was never 'bad' she isn't as great as so many people make her out to be.

Myolie Wu is overated, but i don' really mind her, at least she has diverese rolls to help tune her acting.

Linda Chung is overated, i've watched all of her films, since there were people i like in them, but she has never shined for me, at least she's not as bad as some of the new ones.

Michelle Ye is overated, i like her and all but i really do not think she's that great, she wasn't very good in some of her films.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

linda chung for sure. She is so so annoying and all she does is cry cry and more cry. And a bad one at it too.
    ~ I'm so awesome.. the greatest ever after Kobe!! ~
    ~ aka Mini T-mac here ~

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    Ron Ng is overated, but i heard his improving.
    You can't overrate someone that has never been highly rated in the first place. Ron gets way more criticism than compliment in both acting and singing.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Jackie Chan - pick any reason - can't stand his ego. His acting is average at best.

Anthony Wong - plays pretty much the same character in most of his movies, trying to be cool with an attitude. Comes across as pompous and overacting.

Donnie Yen - Couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag with large holes.

Eric Tsang- no matter how many triad leaders he plays, I can't see him as anything other than a non threatenting overacting dwarf. If he was a real triad leader, I imagine he would be laughed at and promtly beaten to a pulp. Not bad as a comedy actor, but his dramatic stuff is just unrealistic and unintentionally funny to me.

Hsu Qi - omg I hate her to the core. Still can't act (no matter how many awards she's won - she probably slept with the judges), and THE most annoying female voice in the industry. Everytime she whines, I want to destroy everything around me.

wow cool down...

firstly, its Shu Qi(Qui) or Hsu Chi.

secondly, its okay if you don't like her, but its not okay for you to be spreading rumours or speculations without any basis besides ur hate for her. "slept with the judges" is a very offensive comment.

i don't particularly like Hsu Chi either but she's been trying very hard to lose the softcore lable and i admire her for her determination in face off all those negativity from biget minded people who can't give a decent actress a chance.

and she did deserve the two awards she won for Viva Erotica and Portland Street Blues, if you had cared to watch those films with unbias eyes you would see that she gave a great performance.

back to topic, Ron Ng i know had more criticism then praise but when he was 'hot topic' all we heard at that time was how great he was, everywhere i went, and in all the news papers everyone kept saying how great he was.

Linda Chung is getting the same treatment right now, all these praises on how great her acting is and how sweet her voice is, and how cute she is.

if this wasn't just for Hong Kong celebrity and included mainland china, taiwan and korean my list will be endless.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post

cecilia cheung is a bit overrated

Ron Ng- This guy is massively popular with the fans and TVB. I remember one year he was in three or four series. Really? His acting leaves much to be desired yet he's being promoted like crazy. I think some actors such as Sammul Chan who are more talented do not get half the attention that Ron does. I don't get it. I don't think he's that good looking either and his dead eyes annoy me.

It's kind of hilarious that Sonija is disliked for her ''bad acting'' yet Ron Ng is probably just as bad yet it's okay because ''he's hot." Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by nicfanz View Post
    Ron Ng- This guy is massively popular with the fans and TVB. I remember one year he was in three or four series. Really? His acting leaves much to be desired yet he's being promoted like crazy. I think some actors such as Sammul Chan who are more talented do not get half the attention that Ron does. I don't get it. I don't think he's that good looking either and his dead eyes annoy me.

It's kind of hilarious that Sonija is disliked for her ''bad acting'' yet Ron Ng is probably just as bad yet it's okay because ''he's hot." Hmm...
    ron is more popular than sammul but no where as popular as raymond or bosco or even kenneth imo, so i wouldnt consider ron overrated
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Agree. Ron might be very popular a few years ago, but, now his popularity is more moderate. So, I won't call him overrated either. He has mostly been in supporting roles now.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Really? I haven't been following TVB lately so I do not know who's popular now. If that's true, then that's good. He is more suited for supporting roles (until he improves his acting at least). I think I can stand him more when he is in an ensemble cast and he is not the center of attention like The Four. I also find him tolerable in EU since his screen time was split between Sammul.

I also find Kenneth and Bosco overrated too. Never liked them and never will. Raymond might be a little overrated but he hasn't been in many series lately and IMO he's the most talented of the bunch. He's also likeable and I think many of today's TVB actors lack the likeability factor.
    Last edited by nicfanz; 07-17-09 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nicfanz View Post
    Really? I haven't been following TVB lately so I do not know who's popular now. If that's true, then that's good. He is more suited for supporting roles (until he improves his acting at least). I think I can stand him more when he is in an ensemble cast and he is not the center of attention like The Four. I also find him tolerable in EU since his screen time was split between Sammul.

I also find Kenneth and Bosco overrated too. Never liked them and never will. Raymond might be a little overrated but he hasn't been in many series lately and IMO he's the most talented of the bunch. He's also likeable and I think many of today's TVB actors lack the likeability factor.
    I don't think that Kenneth and Bosco are overrated. They're not always being talked about and far less popular compared to Raymond. Bosco has been getting many bashings from netizens and he's also only in supporting roles nowadays such as in MR, TGOL and BF3 where he don't get much screentime. That is not being overrated :P

so tell me just who is supposed to be popular in HK right now?

Quote Originally Posted by starrysky View Post
    so tell me just who is supposed to be popular in HK right now?
    Right now Raymond is really popular in HK and outside HK as well especially after the huge success of his HK Colliseum concert.

Tavia is popular too.

i thought Linda Chung was the current TVB favorite?

she was given leading status very early in her career and although she's not as bad as some but she's not great either.

Tavia i like since i think she works very hard but theres just something about her that i find she doesn't stand out as much, she hasn't really found her footing yet. But i thought she was one of the least popular ones thats why she's not in alot of series and doesn't lead as much as she should.

Myolie is overated, charmaine, gigi, melissa ngo...

I'm probably in the minority, but I think Maggie Cheung is/was overrated. It always bothered me that she has been ranked so highly in the HK industry. She is not pretty, and her acting is nothing spectacular.

others on the list.

Cecilia Cheung
    Kate Tsui
    Leon Lai