Thread: Original fiction?

Question Original fiction?

Hi there!
    I'm new to the forum so I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this.
    I've been reading the fan fiction here and really enjoying everyone's excerpts! I was wondering if anyone is writing wuxia fiction with the goal of publishing it?

I'm trying to write wuxia inspired romance for the English mainstream market. Feeling a bit lonely as there's not a lot out there. I can't see why not.
    -Jeannie

Quote Originally Posted by jeannie_lin View Post
    Hi there!
    I'm new to the forum so I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this.
    I've been reading the fan fiction here and really enjoying everyone's excerpts! I was wondering if anyone is writing wuxia fiction with the goal of publishing it?

I'm trying to write wuxia inspired romance for the English mainstream market. Feeling a bit lonely as there's not a lot out there. I can't see why not.
    -Jeannie
    It takes a lot of effort to get writings published. You need an agent, a publisher, editor, and money to make it all happen.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    It takes a lot of effort to get writings published. You need an agent, a publisher, editor, and money to make it all happen.
    I know. It's taken over 3 years for me to get an agent. It was hard to convince agents that this setting would have a market in a mainstream market. Now we are trying to convince publishers! It's a very long road.

Default Working on Wuxia Series

Hi Jeannie,

There doesn't seem to be a lot of us out there, but I'm also working on some Wuxia fiction too. I'm working on a series geared towards young adults with the first book in the editing process, a second one almost complete and a third in outline. I've been looking around on/off for an agent and have decided meanwhile to self publish with a POD like Lulu.com or Creatspace.com. Obviously self-publishing's not the same as the conventional way and doesn't get the same respect, but I figure, what the heck. With the internet, I can search for niche markets, go after them, and have some fun marketing by book until I'm able to get a traditional publisher. It doesn't hurt to try.

Despite being very popular in Asia, Wuxia seems to be virtually non-existent in the U.S. with the exception of dedicated fans. Most people I talk to are familiar with martial arts movies, but almost none have heard of Wuxia fiction. Jeff Stone's "Five Ancestors" series is really the closest thing I've seen to published mainstream Wuxia fiction, but at least its a start

I think it's great that you're thinking about writing Wuxia. Give it your best shot and write what you're passionate about if that's it. Don't feel lonely, there are a few other of us Wuxia writers out there shooting for the mainstream English market as well.

Solman,
    I'm so happy to have checked here today! I just sold my book to a major publisher in the UK. I call my book "wuxia-inspired" as it's plotted as a romance sotry.

As you may or may not know, Cindy Pon's book Silver Phoenix has just been published for the YA market by a major publisher as well.

Don't lose hope for breaking the mainstream market. I'll PM you!

Default Great news!!!

Hi Jeannie,

Great news! Congratulations! It looks like all your hardwork over the past couple of years is paying off. I actually had not heard of Cindy Pon's book so I went to Amazon and checked it out. Neat stuff! I'll have to order it.

It looks like one journey for you has ended and another is beginning as you work with your publisher on editing and other issues that may pop us before the books release. That's exciting stuff and I hope you enjoy the entire process.

I'll have to keep plugging away at my book as well. I realize that it takes awhile to find an agent and I'm glad that there are other like yourself and Cindy that I can use as examples to keep me going.

Send me a PM when you get a chance and we can talk some more if you like.

-Aron
    "Spirit must be transformed into material force before it can move the world forward." -- Zhou Enlai

I wrote a wuxia story for last year's NaNoWriMo (www.nanowrimo.org), and although the story is now at 122k words, it's nowhere near finished and I've seemed to have written myself into a corner. For this year's NaNo I did another wuxia story, and I'm still working on it (the current length is roughly 66k words). I like this year's story better than last year's, so I have hopes of finishing it and then trying to have it published. The story still needs a lot of polish and research, but the most important thing is to finish the first draft. So yeah - I'll keep on fighting. (pun intended)

Why not post some of it here? I'm sure there's people who'd love to read it
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

I think the reason we'd rather not post stories we intend to publish online, especially in open fora, is because publishers might later state that the material has been published before, and it might lead to complications, even rejection. My apology if this sounds snotty, but there you have it.

Oh, I see. Yes, I've heard before something similar, that if previously on the open forum, publishers become skeptical and tougher to sell. Nevermind then, and best of luck to you!

i've always been writing, and my current (1st draft) is going like 600 pages (single-lined-space, times new roman, size 12) i dont know how many words are there already (estimating to be around 300k, at 500~words per page) & im working on the 2nd draft.

well im working towards publishing, but i have a fulltime job that pays pretty decent so my time left for writing is quite limited.

Quote Originally Posted by leorio View Post
    I think the reason we'd rather not post stories we intend to publish online, especially in open fora, is because publishers might later state that the material has been published before, and it might lead to complications, even rejection. My apology if this sounds snotty, but there you have it.
    If you publish the whole thing, yes! If you post some excerpts then you can go to the publisher and show that what little you posted received a strong positive response. One or two chapters available isn't going to kill the deal.

I was thinking that when I finish my first WuXia novel I plan to release the whole thing as a podcasted audiobook, but not release a text version. I know of a few other writers who have done this, and then gotten deals with publishers because they could prove the work already had an audience. (While still keeping the text versions for regular publication and sale!)

Rob

So Rob, what you mean is that if you publish a podcast but not a text-based version, it won't be an issue with publishers?

So far, it seems not to be. As long as there's no text version available, the publishers tend to see a free audio version available as both proof people like the book and free marketing. Now, to be blunt, it can be a double-edged sword! If nobody listens to your podcasted novel, and the publisher knows it's out there and wants to see your numbers then you may have a problem. Then again, if you podcast it and it doesn't work you know you have work to do anyways.

I'm no expert on the subject, and I'm not a publisher, so don't quote me either way. But I have seen it work for some people.

Well, theoretically, if you podcast it and it doesn't work, you can always pull the podcast and tell the publisher (if s/he finds out about it) that you just learned it might adversely affect the chances of publication

Overall though, it sounds like a good idea that I'll keep in mind for future reference. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by leorio View Post
    I've heard the posting small excerpts is not a problem for publishers or agents and I've seen some people (not for wuxia) get interest because an editor or agent read their excerpt.

But once you get contracted, you may have to remove your excerpts. My publisher is very strict and I had to do that for anything they contracted.

I'm so excited to hear that you're writing wuxia. Please tell me what it's about! I'm part of a Yahoo group for authors of Asian novels so we can brainstorm and ask writing questions. If you want to check it out: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/authorsofasiannovels/
    Adventures in Romance: http://www.jeannielin.com

I do know for certain that a few translators pulled down their translations once they decided they would try and get published, for obvious reasons...

Quote Originally Posted by jeannie_lin View Post
    I've heard the posting small excerpts is not a problem for publishers or agents and I've seen some people (not for wuxia) get interest because an editor or agent read their excerpt.

But once you get contracted, you may have to remove your excerpts. My publisher is very strict and I had to do that for anything they contracted.

I'm so excited to hear that you're writing wuxia. Please tell me what it's about! I'm part of a Yahoo group for authors of Asian novels so we can brainstorm and ask writing questions. If you want to check it out: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/authorsofasiannovels/
    Then I'd better start polishing my excerpts

My story is about a guy who is banished from his sect (not through any fault of his own) and has been lying low ever since. Then pugilists who oppose the government - the setting is late Yuan Dynasty - are getting murdered, and the main character gets involved in the case and tries to figure out the mastermind behind the murders.
    ...And that summary sounds more exciting than the story itself.

Thanks for the heads-up about the mailing list - I'll be sure to check out.